In 2 minds abut my second home birth..
Home birth section

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CountryBumpkin

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

I have had so much trouble trying to find a midwife who is ALLOWED to attend my HB, being a vbac mum restricts my options, as most midwives over here are restricted. I have found a male midwife 90 minutes away who will attend, but I just don't feel comfortable with him. It's not the fact he's male at all, just don't feel at he's the one I'd like to attend my hb, IYKWIM? I don't know what to do. Or I should just take my husband and doula and hospital birth and leave straight after birth, we're 40kms from the nearest hospital, and I will have to follow their policies, which is the reason I HBed my last, as I was treated like crap for my first VBAC.
I really don't know what to do. sad.gif

Edited by CountryBumpkin, 27 November 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#2 PurpleNess

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Is there a Birthing Centre you could attend instead of a labour ward if you decide to go that direction? My BC experience was amazing.

#3 CountryBumpkin

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

No birth centres, the main maternity hospital is 100kms away and that's for low risk ladies. They have an NBAC clinic, but they still have their policies, plus If I have to go up there in peak hour it could be a 2 hour plus trip, and my last labour was only 3.5 hours. Pretty much just over 2 hours from the time I realize I was really really in labour to baby being out. And that was an hour of pushing too.

I have had no luck finding a midwife, registered or unregistered, to attend, bar this one.

My DH will only hb with someone there to attend me. I'm happy with that as I don't think I could switch off enough to labour happily without stressing.

I spoke to the "local" hospital 40kms away, one dr I spoke to said he's the most relaxed and he still enforces the hospital policies, he says the others are very strict on the policies. Ie no intermittent monitoring, it's lay on the bed at all times kinda thing. I only labour well with heat/water so will be water birthing, in a shower at the minimum. Hospital policy is what made my first vbac hell on earth, a dr trying to tell me to do this and that when baby was being monitored via Doppler constantly and was just fine.

I'm 40kms south of Mandurah in western Australia. The Perth midwives I have spoken to (including my last one) can't attend, and there's 2 down south (90 minutes drive). One refuses to attend as its too far (but she offered to drive the 120kms when I was loing at hiring her last time?) and this person who I had met with. I have heard there are other birth workers around but don't know who they are.

#4 Fluster

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I'll preface by saying I'm not a homebirther - if I couldn't find a suitable midwife I was comfortable with, I'd choose the hospital and try and pre-negotiate with the staff about permitting x if I do y, etc.

I wouldn't pay someone I didn't feel comfortable with to attend a homebirth.  I figure you can get that level of discomfort in a hospital, only with extra staff on hand if something does, god forbid, actually go horribly wrong.

Fingers crossed you find a lovely, competent midwife to attend your birth.

#5 CountryBumpkin

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

Unfortunately, due to the treatment I have receive while trying to negotiate their "policies" I would rather free birth than go back. They rarely negotiate, they just play along until you're in labour then demand you do as you're told. I wa told to birth on the side of the road, he didn't care as long as I got out of his hospital.

I would happily have an unregistered or retired midwife attend my birth over visiting any hospital in Perth or surrounds.

#6 PurpleNess

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Country  I'm in Perth & birthed at the KEMH Birth Centre, I recalled you were in WA.

Have you contacted the Community Midwife program, or maybe call the Birth Centre, they may know of someone in your area, all their Midwifes are trained in water birth ( I had one - awesome!)

I guess finding a place to stay around your due date in Perth would be out of the question for you? Then you could have the home birth with a registered midwife.

Sorry not much help as I haven't home birthed I wouldn't know where to start.

Hope you reach a solution soon.

Oh also have you posted in the Midwife section here on EB?

Edited by PurpleNess, 29 November 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#7 Fluster

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (CountryBumpkin @ 29/11/2012, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately, due to the treatment I have receive while trying to negotiate their "policies" I would rather free birth than go back. They rarely negotiate, they just play along until you're in labour then demand you do as you're told. I wa told to birth on the side of the road, he didn't care as long as I got out of his hospital.

I would happily have an unregistered or retired midwife attend my birth over visiting any hospital in Perth or surrounds.

If I'd had that sort of experience, I reckon I'd take my chances with the milkman helping me deliver  ohmy.gif

#8 CountryBumpkin

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

The resgistered MWs in Perth can travel don here but they're restricted on attending vbacs so no point in going anywhere sad.gif the midwives program said they have a list on their website, it includes the restricted ones, and the 2 down south that can't attend ans the one I have met with. Myself and my doula have our feelers out for an underground midwife, but they're so hard to find!

I will post on the midwife section, I didn't even think about it original.gif thank you

Fluster it was ridiculous, he was rude, arrogant and nasty.i just ignored m and my amazing doula told him and his groupies of nasty midwives where to go.

#9 Rumina

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

So are you saying that the private midwives won't support you because you are preparing to HBAC? This is a little unusual unless they have had restrictions placed on them due to a complaint (which in the current climate is common).. Midwives are not restricted by policy in HBAC and certainly all the midwives I know in Melbourne support VBAC and VBA2C.. What about taking a holiday in another area and birthing at friends/family/holiday house??

#10 CountryBumpkin

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

They are restricted, complaints have been made by hospitals that they are going against guidelines. If they support me and are found out, they will lose their registration. I don't have the option to move elsewhere, aching 4 other children and a property to run, I can't leave here and stay somewhere else.
Perth has a shortage of hb midwives as it is, and since ours keep being restricted its leaving vbacing women with no options.

#11 deejie

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

No answers or suggestions here, CB. Just sympathy.

I think it is a sad reflection on the home birth climate in our country when women like yourself find themselves forced in to freebirth or forced in to hospital birth because the only available midwives aren't allowed to assist due to registration restrictions.

It's a disgrace, really. It makes me angry. I can only hope you find a resolution. Have you asked on JB?

#12 CountryBumpkin

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

I'm not a member of JB due to only having a hotmail address.

It's a very sad state when I could go in and demand an elective c section and be given it, but funding a birth out of my own pocket, and delivering at home is becoming illegal. Oh but they believe they will force women into hospitals.... More like force them into free birthing sad.gif

#13 Overtherainbow

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I haven't home birthed but had 2 in mandurah hospital.  First WA not good, due to an arrogant ob.  2nd I had a wonderful doctor from pinjarra, Dr Tony Tropiano.  I explained my issues with first birth and he told me he was happy to intervene as little or as much a I wanted.  He totally kept out during my labor and allowed midwives to deliver.

My only issue with 2nd was having to be monitored initially which involved being on a bed and plugged into monitoring equipment.  I hated being on the bed.

I had a bath at the hospital but spent most of my time in the shower.  I chose to deliver on the be but have had friends deliver with the beanbag and in the shower.

I'd make a visit to Dr Tropiano and see how you feel after meeting him.  

We were in Lake Clifton and I would not have considered traveling to another hospital and with my 3rd would not have had time to make any other hospital.

Hope you can find someone to assist with your home birth who makes you comfortable or a hospital solution that suits.

#14 raven74

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Dr Tropiano used to be my family GP!  A lovely guy.
CB it is a crying shame that the the FBC cannot supoort VBAC as that would have been a great option in your case sad.gif   I hope you find someone to attend your birth that you are comfotable with.

I wouldn't send my dog to the hospital in Mandurah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Natural pain relief in the early stages of labour

While managing labour pains on your own can be daunting, there are a number of natural pain relief options to help you cope until you are admitted to hospital.

Chinese woman gives birth to quintuplets

After six years of trying for a baby, a couple’s dreams have come true many times over after the mum gave birth to quintuplets this week.

Five-year-old shoots nine-month-old brother dead

A nine-month-old baby boy died on Monday after he was shot in the head by his five-year-old brother in their grandfather's home.

'Is that baby yours?'

She is my daughter. I gave birth to her. I nurse her. But she doesn't have any of my genes.

Episiotomy in childbirth: not just 'a little snip'

Episiotomies have a place in maternity care – and can occasionally save lives – but should not be performed routinely.

Toddler aggression not caused by language delays after all: study

The logic was that children who don’t have the language to fully express themselves will lash out when they’re misunderstood. Not anymore.

Why we chose to adopt a child with Down sydrome

Everyone in foster care (and really in life) has something that makes them more vulnerable. We just know what our son's is.

Object of desire

Curvy mums make clever babies

Scientists appear to have discovered why women have evolved to have more curves than men – shapely thighs and bottoms lead to healthier babies.

'We'll make sure they know how much she loved them'

A first-time mum will never get to hold her four newborns, dying shortly after giving birth to the quadruplets.

The baby names NZ knocked back in 2014

A New Zealander has tried to name their baby Senior Constable but didn't get away with it - and numbering children is also a no-no.

How can you go into labour without knowing you're pregnant?

For most of us, the idea that a woman could carry a child to full-term without knowing she is pregnant is mind-boggling.

Will you get to the hospital in time?

Worrying your baby will be delivered by the roadside is a common concern for many mothers-to-be. So how likely are you to be caught short?

Video: Funny 'Lips Are Moving' parody just for mums

Meghan Trainor's song 'Lips Are Moving' was already a hit, but now it's been turned into a hilarious parody that is set to be very popular with frustrated mums everywhere.

Out with the clutter

Decluttering by the numbers: take the 30-day challenge

Forget the 5:2 diet - Twitter's 30-day declutter challenge will have your house back in shape in no time (well, a month).

Parents, don't be too hard on yourselves

We need to stop damning parents of today, and embrace their appetite for knowledge instead.

Is my baby normal?

There are chubby Buddha babies and there are thin, smaller babies. Neither are right or wrong, they are all 'normal'.

When an older sibling starts school

When one child goes to ‘big school’ and leaves the other behind, it can cause deep upset. Here's how to make the transition easier.

Stray cat saves abandoned baby

They say dogs are man's best friend, but one cat has proven felines can be just as devoted to their human companions.

How strangers are helping a mum's wish come true after her death

A mum of five, Liz Marquez wanted to breastfeed her premmie son for a year. So when she passed away suddenly, her friends - and strangers - stepped in to help.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Stars help save choking babies

It's an important lesson to learn, but one that busy new mums and dads might overlook until it's too late.

New Girl star Zooey Deschanel pregnant

Actress Zooey Deschanel is expecting her first child with her producer boyfriend Jacob Pechenik.

16 times 'dad reflexes' saved the day

Of course, in some cases they may be the ones who actually got their child into a precarious position in the first place, but we'll ignore that for now.

Couple's 'non-traditional' pregnancy announcement goes viral

Knowing you are not the father of your pregnant wife's baby would usually indicate a rocky relationship ahead for traditional parents.

The trials and tribulations of identical triplet newborns

Pip Donnelly is still playing spot the difference with her newborn identical triplets, Isabelle, Georgina and Frankie.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Earthquake baby thriving five years on

Jenny Alexis is lucky to be alive after spending four days buried in the rubble of the 2010 Haitian earthquake, but now she's a thriving five year old.

Please don't say I'm lucky because I was adopted

On the one hand I was having a regular life with friends and sports and sleepovers and school. But I was also always wondering: Did my mother love me? What was wrong with me?

An open letter to non-parents who offer advice on child-rearing

Kitty, when you’re the parent of my child you’re welcome to wade in with an opinion – but until then, I’d prefer you to have a supportive ear and a glass of wine ready.

Couple arrested over baby gun video

A US couple faces charges after investigators say they found mobile phone videos showing the woman's 12-month-old daughter putting a handgun in her mouth.

NSW Health dumps 10-year limit on frozen embryos

A 10-year time limit on storing frozen embryos that were created with donor sperm has been dropped by the NSW government.

How my happy-go-lucky husband became a monster

Sharan Nicholson-Rogers watched her husband change from a happy-go-lucky police officer into an unpredictable man prone to violent and emotional outbursts.

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes, too

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes in line with their pregnant partners, a new study shows.

'They were just doing their job': mum of toddler killed in police chase gone wrong

"They were just doing their job. I feel so sorry for them. It is all just too sad."

Miscarriages to be formally recognised by NSW government

Women who miscarry will be able to obtain an optional "recognition of loss" certificate as a formal recognition of their often heartbreaking loss.

Cafe cubby house 'too noisy' for neighbours

Teenage parties, domestic disputes, or raucous late night pubs are the things that usually come to mind when you think neighbourhood noise complaints.

Dad films baby playing with snake

Most parents would not consider a snake an appropriate playmate for their baby, but a US dad who filmed his daughter playing with a python has defended himself against criticism.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win with The Boxtrolls

To celebrate the release of The Boxtrolls on 3D Blu-ray, DVD & Digital with UltraViolet, we're giving you the chance to win a Boxtroll stationary package and DVD.

School Term 1

Get after-school care sorted

Wait lists too long at OSHC? Use www.findababysitter.com.au to meet local nannies now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.