Need gift ideas for a 6 year old girl

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hootabelles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

As topic suggest I need a Christmas gift for my 6 year old Goddaughter.  I am clueless as to what they like at that age and she said she wants a surprise.  I do want to surprise her but find 6 years old are so much more grown up than they used to be!  What happened to playing with dolls at that age????
She is passed the barbie stage etc and has heaps of crafty things too....
I want to spend about $50 so suggestions would be GREAT!  WDYT a 6 year old would like?
TIA

#2 rob6712col

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Target has this great do it yourself kits which even though they say 8+ on the box my 5 yr olds and my 7 yr old just love them. They are Make your Own Glow in The Dark Nailpolish and Make your own Bath Bombs.  Some adult assistance is required but the girls (including me) had a ball with it. I think Kmart and Big W might have them too.
The other thing both my 5 and 7 yr olds love it Geleez. I love it too as it is painting but not messy and thy make their own stickers.
So even though it is all kind of craft it is a bit different.
If you wanted to spend a little more then perhaps a Furby?

#3 3mummy3

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

My dd just turned 8 and she loves playing with her dolls still!!! Baby dolls that is, she has a few barbie type dolls but has never really liked them very much.

As for a gift idea is there a build a bear shop around where you live? You could give her a gift voucher for there then make it a day out with her by taking her there to spend the voucher then out for lunch/ice cream?

#4 CharliMarley

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

My Little Pony seems to be the fad at the moment, or has it passed?

#5 Therese

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Lego was a hit with my youngest at that age. (It still is really).

#6 gizboo

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Friends Lego, my 6yo DD and all her friends are mad for it.
DD is also begging for a furby for Xmas.

#7 Nofliesonme

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Lego friends and craft kits

#8 zande

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

My just turned 6yo has asked for a Figit Friend (outside your budget) and a hair and makeup doll for Christmas.

#9 SarB1234

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Does she like swimming?  And that mermaid TV show? These are AWESOME...

https://www.oceanikamerfins.com/oceanika-store

Oh sorry, just saw the budget, maybe don't look then!

Perhaps a "name" necklace?  They are pretty sweet.

#10 cinnabubble

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Go to Gumboots and buy a pile of bling, sunglasses and glittery body lotion. She'll love it.

#11 ~mimo~

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Even though she wants a surprise, can you ask her mum what she is into?

#12 Lyra

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

She might have art and craft stuff but if she is anything like my daughter she can never have enough glue or sticky tape! My daughter also got some Lush bath products which were a hit. I also really liked it because it was a present that went down the plughole and didn't take up space in my house biggrin.gif

Lego is also a hit. My little Pony not so much. Littlest Pet Shop is also a hit

#13 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

My Little Pony is a bit younger age group.

Smiggle- my 7 year old is nuts over it. Smiggle is cool stationery and a very big hit with girls 6 and up.  http://www.smiggle.com.au/ Not sure if they have shops all over Australia.

A nice bracelet or necklace.

I would have a chat to mum about her likes. My 7 year old is into fairies, Tinkerbell, Craft, music, pillow pets, unicorns, jewelry. But other girls her age are into different stuff. Best to narrow it down and then we can give you some more ideas.

#14 joolz

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

My DD is six.
She is madly into Barbies - any type - she wants all of them, apparently!
Littlest Pet Shop.
Beanie Kids - they are collectable teddies.
Colouring books, craft, new textas.
La La Loopsy dolls have been requested.

She is into elephants in a major way, so I have got her a few elephant themed presents this year.
Body wash, lotion and sponge pack.
Nail polish!
Friends Lego.

#15 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

One of those large dolls heads that you can out makeup on and do their hair. I bought one for my niece last year. I looked around and the best one I found was at Mothercare. The ones at Target, KMart etc just weren't as good.

#16 Blish

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

My DD just turned 6.

She's crazy about My Little Pony - mind you, so is my husband, but that's a whole other thread!  cool.gif
The new Lego range (Lego Friends)
Craft stuff (Geleez/Blingles)

#17 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

when I get stuck I tend to buy jewellery, my nieces got earrings for their birthdays this year and we got a friends little girl a bracelet

#18 Hootabelles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Wow...what great ideas..thank you all.
Jewelery is a great idea along with the Friends range of lego.  The bath products are a great idea to.
Her mum gave me nada..no help at all.

Thanks all..you've given me a great start when I hit the shops at least!

#19 tiggy2

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

My 6yo has on her wishlist:
Lego friends
Pillow pet
Sylvanian families
Portable cd player

Her friends don't really play with barbies dolls ponies etc any more.

#20 =R2=

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (zande @ 27/11/2012, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My just turned 6yo has asked for a Figit Friend (outside your budget) and a hair and makeup doll for Christmas.

Fijit Friend here too.

My DD (also 6) is still very much in Barbie mode and so are all of her friends. She'll be getting a Fijit for Christmas though just to be different.

Other ideas:

pettiskirt
DVD
books
baubles (beaded necklaces and bracelets)
wrist watch
bedside clock
school stationery (from Smiggle or Kikki K)
lockable diary

#21 Rachaelxxx

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

I second Lego Friends

#22 peach*face

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Toys r us have an awesome pottery wheel for 39.95. My 6 y.o loved it.

#23 qwertyanon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Enid Blyton

#24 wenchwitch

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

An iPod shuffle for $54

#25 wenchwitch

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

An iPod shuffle for $54

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.