Need gift ideas for a 6 year old girl

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hootabelles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

As topic suggest I need a Christmas gift for my 6 year old Goddaughter.  I am clueless as to what they like at that age and she said she wants a surprise.  I do want to surprise her but find 6 years old are so much more grown up than they used to be!  What happened to playing with dolls at that age????
She is passed the barbie stage etc and has heaps of crafty things too....
I want to spend about $50 so suggestions would be GREAT!  WDYT a 6 year old would like?
TIA

#2 rob6712col

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Target has this great do it yourself kits which even though they say 8+ on the box my 5 yr olds and my 7 yr old just love them. They are Make your Own Glow in The Dark Nailpolish and Make your own Bath Bombs.  Some adult assistance is required but the girls (including me) had a ball with it. I think Kmart and Big W might have them too.
The other thing both my 5 and 7 yr olds love it Geleez. I love it too as it is painting but not messy and thy make their own stickers.
So even though it is all kind of craft it is a bit different.
If you wanted to spend a little more then perhaps a Furby?

#3 3mummy3

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

My dd just turned 8 and she loves playing with her dolls still!!! Baby dolls that is, she has a few barbie type dolls but has never really liked them very much.

As for a gift idea is there a build a bear shop around where you live? You could give her a gift voucher for there then make it a day out with her by taking her there to spend the voucher then out for lunch/ice cream?

#4 CharliMarley

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

My Little Pony seems to be the fad at the moment, or has it passed?

#5 Therese

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Lego was a hit with my youngest at that age. (It still is really).

#6 gizboo

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Friends Lego, my 6yo DD and all her friends are mad for it.
DD is also begging for a furby for Xmas.

#7 Nofliesonme

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Lego friends and craft kits

#8 zande

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

My just turned 6yo has asked for a Figit Friend (outside your budget) and a hair and makeup doll for Christmas.

#9 SarB1234

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Does she like swimming?  And that mermaid TV show? These are AWESOME...

https://www.oceanikamerfins.com/oceanika-store

Oh sorry, just saw the budget, maybe don't look then!

Perhaps a "name" necklace?  They are pretty sweet.

#10 cinnabubble

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Go to Gumboots and buy a pile of bling, sunglasses and glittery body lotion. She'll love it.

#11 ~mimo~

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Even though she wants a surprise, can you ask her mum what she is into?

#12 Lyra

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

She might have art and craft stuff but if she is anything like my daughter she can never have enough glue or sticky tape! My daughter also got some Lush bath products which were a hit. I also really liked it because it was a present that went down the plughole and didn't take up space in my house biggrin.gif

Lego is also a hit. My little Pony not so much. Littlest Pet Shop is also a hit

#13 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

My Little Pony is a bit younger age group.

Smiggle- my 7 year old is nuts over it. Smiggle is cool stationery and a very big hit with girls 6 and up.  http://www.smiggle.com.au/ Not sure if they have shops all over Australia.

A nice bracelet or necklace.

I would have a chat to mum about her likes. My 7 year old is into fairies, Tinkerbell, Craft, music, pillow pets, unicorns, jewelry. But other girls her age are into different stuff. Best to narrow it down and then we can give you some more ideas.

#14 joolz

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

My DD is six.
She is madly into Barbies - any type - she wants all of them, apparently!
Littlest Pet Shop.
Beanie Kids - they are collectable teddies.
Colouring books, craft, new textas.
La La Loopsy dolls have been requested.

She is into elephants in a major way, so I have got her a few elephant themed presents this year.
Body wash, lotion and sponge pack.
Nail polish!
Friends Lego.

#15 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

One of those large dolls heads that you can out makeup on and do their hair. I bought one for my niece last year. I looked around and the best one I found was at Mothercare. The ones at Target, KMart etc just weren't as good.

#16 Blish

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

My DD just turned 6.

She's crazy about My Little Pony - mind you, so is my husband, but that's a whole other thread!  cool.gif
The new Lego range (Lego Friends)
Craft stuff (Geleez/Blingles)

#17 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

when I get stuck I tend to buy jewellery, my nieces got earrings for their birthdays this year and we got a friends little girl a bracelet

#18 Hootabelles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Wow...what great ideas..thank you all.
Jewelery is a great idea along with the Friends range of lego.  The bath products are a great idea to.
Her mum gave me nada..no help at all.

Thanks all..you've given me a great start when I hit the shops at least!

#19 tiggy2

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

My 6yo has on her wishlist:
Lego friends
Pillow pet
Sylvanian families
Portable cd player

Her friends don't really play with barbies dolls ponies etc any more.

#20 =R2=

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (zande @ 27/11/2012, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My just turned 6yo has asked for a Figit Friend (outside your budget) and a hair and makeup doll for Christmas.

Fijit Friend here too.

My DD (also 6) is still very much in Barbie mode and so are all of her friends. She'll be getting a Fijit for Christmas though just to be different.

Other ideas:

pettiskirt
DVD
books
baubles (beaded necklaces and bracelets)
wrist watch
bedside clock
school stationery (from Smiggle or Kikki K)
lockable diary

#21 Rachaelxxx

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

I second Lego Friends

#22 peach*face

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Toys r us have an awesome pottery wheel for 39.95. My 6 y.o loved it.

#23 qwertyanon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Enid Blyton

#24 wenchwitch

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

An iPod shuffle for $54

#25 wenchwitch

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

An iPod shuffle for $54

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.