work health checks
anyone had one?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 orangepeanut

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

My workplace are doing Work Health Checks this week.

Just wondering if anyone here had had one through their workplace and if they got anything out of it. EG found out something about themselves health-wise that they didn't already know?

I am interested to find out my Diabetes risk as I have had GD with my last pregnancy.

What will they be looking for and how long does it take?

TIA

#2 Holidayromp

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

My workplace had one and I declined.  It it my personal information and I do not appreciate work knowing my very personal medical details.  None of the stuff they wanted done had anything to do with doing the job at hand so they could not force anyone into doing it.

However if it was a job where I needed health checks I would do it through my own gp and only the required information given out.

#3 casime

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

I had one last year.   I didn't get anything out of it at all.

#4 humphreybear

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

I heard of someone where it showed  high blood pressure (dangerously high). They got something good out of it.

Ours is done by a hird party. Tested blood pressure, blood sugar level (not necessarily fasting), bmi and a quiz around risk factors (alcohol, sleep, depression).

#5 Escapin

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

I work at a large investment bank and health checks are (just about) compulsory for all staff over a certain level. One guy I work closely with was hooked up to all the monitors for the fitness component, they ran the base line info, and then basically told him he was close to having a heart attack on the spot. Needless to say, he got it together, lost lots of weight, started exercising and is now looking about 10 years younger.

Another work colleague was diagnosed with a very rare heart defect and has since undergone major surgery.

So, personally, I think they're great.

#6 Julie3Girls

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

My work tends to do one during work safety week.
Blood pressure
Finger prick blood test for cholestral and blood sugar levels.
Brief chat about lifestyle - eating habits, exercise, stress etc.

If any of the tests show up outside healthy range, they recommend follow up with your GP. And also give you some information on how to improve it.

They allow about 10 minutes each, although this year, the nurse was racing through and pretty much no chat.

Can be useful - a lot of generally healthy people don't go to the doctor very often, so very rarely get their blood pressure checked, and even rarer to get blood tests for things like cholestral.  So it's a brief check, on the spot at work, and you can follow up with your dr if it does show anything.

#7 strawberrycakes

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

I had one when I started my job & then a couple of months ago my work set up a weightloss challenge so the company nurse came in & took those who wanted to participate blodd pressures, colesterol & glucose levels.

I didn't learn anything new but I have lost 10kg original.gif

#8 bailee

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (Holidayromp @ 27/11/2012, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My workplace had one and I declined.  It it my personal information and I do not appreciate work knowing my very personal medical details.  None of the stuff they wanted done had anything to do with doing the job at hand so they could not force anyone into doing it.

However if it was a job where I needed health checks I would do it through my own gp and only the required information given out.

Your personal details are not given to your employer. They are private and confidential. I used to organise them for my workplace and we were never given any information about the employee and that is standard. If it's a medical that your employer requires to assess your fitness for that particular type of work that is different entirely to the work health checks the OP is talking about.

Although my workplaces have been running them, I've never been to one because I see to many Drs already so I know what I have and don't have and what I'm at risk of. Good though if you are not one to visit Drs cause you are always well.

#9 kiam

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

Yes, I also had a free skin health check through work. I was going to do the bone density check but I had to be somewhere else.

No details are given to your employer, I don't know why people think they are, you can consent to them being used by Monash University (at least, mine went to Monash) for research purposes.

It was good, I had a few moles I wanted checked out anyway, so the free skin health check actually got me to get in there and have them looked at. I had never had my cholesterol checked, and it came back normal, but I am glad that I actually did it.

Will do again.

#10 Mootmoot

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

I've had them in the past, found them interesting but, fortunately, not useful as I didn't need to take any action (i.e no issues raised).

My partner had one recently.  Again. there's no risk factors identified but he found it interesting.  I think it's a great thing for people, like him, who don't go to the doctor much.

#11 matt1972

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 27/11/2012, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My work tends to do one during work safety week.
Blood pressure
Finger prick blood test for cholestral and blood sugar levels.
Brief chat about lifestyle - eating habits, exercise, stress etc.

If any of the tests show up outside healthy range, they recommend follow up with your GP. And also give you some information on how to improve it.

They allow about 10 minutes each, although this year, the nurse was racing through and pretty much no chat.

Can be useful - a lot of generally healthy people don't go to the doctor very often, so very rarely get their blood pressure checked, and even rarer to get blood tests for things like cholestral.  So it's a brief check, on the spot at work, and you can follow up with your dr if it does show anything.

That's exactly what the one I organised covered plus they did the waist measurement.
Nobody apart from the individual is given any information regarding the results.
It's basically to pick up at risk people and alert them to the fact that they are at risk.

#12 NineFeralYears

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

I am interested to find out my Diabetes risk as I have had GD with my last pregnancy.

This is definitely something you should sit down and have a decent talk to your GP about.  1 in 3 women who have GD go on to develop type 2 diabetes and the risk is life long (eg, it makes no difference if you have a subsequent pregnancy without developing GD, or have a few good followup GTTs.

There are things you can do to reduce your risk though, or early interventions to slow its onset, so don't rely on a 10 minute workplace check.  Build a relationship with a GP who has an interest in preventative medicine and take it from there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.