Do ceiling fans work?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

unsure.gif   We were hoping to get finance and have a split system installed but after a quote for $6000 we have changed our minds.  It's stifling in our house and we haven't even had any REAL hot weather.  I think I am feeling the heat extra this year (fatigue due to auto-immune illness) and am desperate to get something set up.
So do ceiling fans help?  We have an old 5 bedroom house, thick stone walls, very high ceilings. Does anyone know how much roughly they cost to buy and install? any recommendations on brand?  We are in SA.

Alternatively we could buy an air con for window or wall but this would only cool one room, area and I am assuming would also be more expensive to run than fans unsure.gif

TIA

#2 Duck.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

We are in a old double brick house but normal ceilings. The new fan works very well but the older style one not so.

It still is hot but not sticky if that makes sense?

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

We have ceiling fans.  We have BV home there is only 1 room (our lounge room) that we are contemplating putting a split cycle in but probably won't worry until next year or the year after.  At the moment when it gets to hot in there we just go into our bedroom at night.  Ie we eat dinner and watch TV in our room with the fan on and it is plenty cool enough.  I don't forsee this being an option when we have kids.  There is one window that gets warm as well (not near the room that gets hot but makes the hallway really hot) we are going to get a quote either in christmas or when I am on maternity leave.  Those outside blinds work really well.

#4 d├ęsir d'amour

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I miss my ceiling fans!

I always wished for AC, but now we have it, I don't want to use it!  It gets difficult with cats, too, as you need to shut the doors down the hallways to be efficient in cooling the loungeroom, and that includes the bathroom with the litter trays.

#5 Jellyblush

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

I have ceiling fans - work fine. And an awesome thing you can do it put a damp sheet over you under the ceiling fan - it's like being in a freezer!

#6 EBeditor

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

They work really well in my bedroom. I can go from being boiling to needing a blanket on the low setting!

#7 raven74

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Since hot air rises in a high ceiling home the fans will just rotate that  air thus being not particularly effective.  I'd get a few pedestals in this case.

#8 Natbub0610

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

We just had ceiling fans installed because the layout of our house is awkward for A/c.

So far they're great, takes the sting off the heat. I was told they're only 1/2 the cost of a light bulb to run, don't know if that's true, but it does add some comfort on hot days.

We also used the rev switch in winter with our wood fire place, it was sooo hot, we had to open windows to balance it out! Could really feel the difference with the fans then too!

#9 Allymeg69

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

OP, if you are in an area where your heat is "dry" (low humidity), which I think SA probably is, then I think good quality ceiling fans would probably be quite effective. Up here in Darwin during our dry season, when we have very low humidity, all we use are our ceiling fans with our windows all open for good cross-ventilation, and we are always comfortable.

In our wet season, when we do use our airconditioners, we continue to use our ceiling fans, they are important for circulating the air, and it is recommended that the aircon be set to around 25-26 degrees so that it does the function of extracting humidity from the air, while the fans do the circulating which is what helps you feel more comfortable. So even if you got air-con you would probably still want something to move the air around properly.

#10 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

IME, ceiling fans work great in tropical and sub-tropical environments and not so well in dry heat environments.

I would not be without mine. We rarely use our aircond.

#11 belindarama

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Ceiling fans are great. They actually can be reversed so that they push the hot air down. So in winter you use them to make your heating more efficient, pushing the warm air down where you need it.

On the summer setting they create a nice cool breeze. It is far more pleasant to sleep under a fan than AC. We used to have to use pedestal fans but I actually think they are a poor choice in comparison as to cover a whole double bed you need to put them on oscillate so the breeze comes and goes whichever found annoying. A ceiling fan gives you an even, constant breeze. I think they would be cheaper to run as well as it is about 1c per hr for a ceiling fan. They are one of my favourite things in our new house.

Edited by belindarama, 26 November 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#12 cas8cas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

We have ceiling fans most days they run 24/7 we also have blinds/curtins that help blockout the heat

We had a dodgy wall aircon and I hate using it

edited for typos

Edited by cas8cas, 26 November 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#13 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Thanks - we are in Adelaide and yes it's very dry heat.  Sounds like they might be good!  Will probably try to get 1 or 2 installed and see how they go, can't be any hotter!  I did think about buying some pedestal fans also since they are like $12 in Big W but they would take up a lot of floorspace too which we don't have and lots of little people to stick fingers and toys in them wink.gif

#14 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

We just had a ceiling fan with a light installed. The fan is great. We won't know how effective it really is until well into Summer. I think that the only thing to really cool a house down in the hottest part of summer is airconditioning. Our lounge room gets the full afternoon sun so it gets pretty hot in summer.

Be careful with fans with lights. We didn't realise at the time that the globe that it uses is a tiny halogen one which uses a lot of energy. We will be getting it moved to a other less used room and getting a different one put into the lounge room at the same time we get new ones for the bedrooms. We currently have old 70's ones in our rooms which are really noisy.

The one we've got didn't cost much to I stall and when I asked how much it would cost to I stall them in the 3 bedrooms, he said about $300 all up.

#15 Kay1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

We have them and they certainly do help. However in the bedrooms you have to have the bed in the middle of the room for them to really help, which works ok in our room but not so well in the kids' rooms as their beds are against the walls.

#16 PrincessPeach

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

I love our ceiling fans.

We also have insulation in our roof so combine that with the fan it keeps inside quite nice & cool - plus the added bonus of having fresh air in as well.

However we are in SE Qld & get the cooling sea breezes in summertime - so the fans help to move that cool air around.

#17 9ferals

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

In my experience - yes, until it gets really hot.

I've had them in both Adelaide and Perth and they are fine for the first hot days, but once you have those runs of really hot weather (days and days over 35 or 40) then they just don't come close to making a bedroom comfortable to sleep in.  Once the room is hot, the bed is hot, the walls, the floor, everything is hot - then they just move hot air around. And we have insulation, block out curtains, keep things open in the cool morning, closed in the hot day- in other words do all the things that help.

So, my verdict is - better than nothing, but not enough for the really hot days.

#18 fi73

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hi we have ceiling fans throughout every room in our house, also have airconditioning but try to limit using that to only when nescessary.

Only thing I would suggest spend money on decent fans, we had 2 cheap ones which were next to useless and hardly moved any air.I then looked at a CHOICE review and they recommended Hunter Pacific-Typhoon fan, we now have these in our lounge and kitchen/dining and they are fantastic.

Fiona

#19 Chelara

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

It does cost a few hundred each to have fans installed. I am shocked at your quote for a split system installation! Sounds a lot more than it costs here.

Ceiling fans are good but they are like being outside on a 30 degree day with a breeze  vs without one.

#20 whale-woman

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I love ceiling fans. i'd much prefer them than airconditioning which always makes me too cold.

We just got them put in our house. 500$ for installing 4 of them. But DP constructed the fans out of the box and the sparky just wired them in. We got the ones with remotes and lights. For the kiddy bedrooms we got the el cheapo 80$ fans and for the other 2 we got about 200$ fans. the electrician told us the el cheapo ones were crap (one had a broken remote out of the box) so I kinda regret them. Also check the quality of the lights in them.... ours take a while for the globes to brighten up... might just need a differnet type on globe.

It is lovely and comfy to lie under the fan even in really hot weather. DD loves drifting off to sleep watching hers spin around. If you've got high ceilings go for it!

Edited by whale-woman, 26 November 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#21 schoolmum

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Have you thought about evaporated air conditioning?
I am is SA and we have had it for about 3 summers now, and are really happy with it.

It is much cheaper to run than refrigerated.

I think our system with 5 outlets cost about $4000 installed, and that was a mid range system.

While it does struggle after a few very hot days, as well as when it is humid. it does have the option of using a vent option, which means that when it cools down in the evening you switch of the cooling and the fan draws in the cool air from outside.

Another plus is that for it to work well, you need to have windows open, which means that you get plenty of fresh air, and is good with kids as you don't need to keep areas of the house closed off.

On a side note, I have just bought ceiling fans for the bedrooms that don't have cooling (beacon lighting is having a good sale), so I hope they do the job. If you have high ceilings you can get extender rods so they hang lower too.

#22 Freddie'sMum

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

It's a really good question that you have asked OP - because I was just reading in the paper that ceiling fans can drop the temperature in a room by 3 degrees.

It may not sound like much but honestly I swear by our ceiling fans.  We have them in our bedrooms.

We are in Sydney.  On warms days, I will turn on the ceiling fans, then draw the curtains (probably at the same time) - after I have done that - if it is getting stinky hot - then I turn on the air con (so the air con is always the last choice).

We leave our ceiling fan going in our bedroom - I love it - esp on these sticky, humid days.

#23 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

We have thought about evap but it's more we just realised it's not really in our budget at all ifykwim.  We will have to look at it again in another year or so.

I will steer clear of the cheapo ones then.

I will check out Beacon since they are having a sale too.  There is one not too far from us.

Thanks for the replies, really helpful!

#24 wonder woman

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (Mummyone1 @ 26/11/2012, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So do ceiling fans help?  We have an old 5 bedroom house, thick stone walls, very high ceilings. Does anyone know how much roughly they cost to buy and install? any recommendations on brand?

Yes, they help - we have ducted heating/cooling with 6m ceilings and since installing one in our large lounge room have not had to use air-conditioning as much as before.

We bought a Hunter Pacific Typhoon Moulded fan for $159 from Masters which cost $264 to install.  It has plastic blades which are quieter than timber or metal ones.

The fan was rated #4 by Choice - more information at http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/82991 where we found it.

Edited by wonder woman, 27 November 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#25 sophiasmum

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

We have a wall mounted air conditioning unit for the living areas & kitchen.

We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom & it's brilliant, couldn't do without it, especially as we get all the afternoon sun in our room which heats it up until night. We have it going all night long in summer & it's lovely to sleep under that breeze.

The kids only have pedestal fans in their rooms.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.