who do I report dodgy backyard pool to?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

We know a family with a lot of kids. The younger ones ages are something like 2,3,5 and 6. The mum was telling me recently how they were buying one of those Big W pools that are a couple of metres across and a metre deep and will be filling it up for the summer.  She has no intention of fencing it and her plan for supervision is that she'll tell the kids not to go in there.

So, anyway... who do I report it to?

#2 TenOfSwords

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Their Council.

#3 emlis22

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

The Building Dept at the relevant council. They will inspect it and, if necessary, place a building notice on it.

#4 hannahbug

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Report it to your local council immediately.   Any pool that holds 30cm or more, is filtrated and 2000 litres MUST BE FENCED and compliant.

I have reported 7 of these pools since Thursday in one council region in QLD I know have the inspectors mobile phone number!  One pool was for the Same address.   They emptied it an then refilled it after he left!    They now have a fine.

These damn pools should be banned from sale!  Who agrees?  

#5 TenOfSwords

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (hannahbug @ 26/11/2012, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree!

#6 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure whether it was a docs call (kids at risk of harm) or a building issue.

QUOTE (hannahbug @ 26/11/2012, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Report it to your local council immediately.   Any pool that holds 30cm or more, is filtrated and 2000 litres MUST BE FENCED and compliant.

I have reported 7 of these pools since Thursday in one council region in QLD I know have the inspectors mobile phone number!  One pool was for the Same address.   They emptied it an then refilled it after he left!    They now have a fine.

I agree 100% that they should be banned. We had quite a heated discussion about it when she told me about it but the rest of the parents at the venue thought it was a brilliant idea. It costs $5 a kid at our local pool and it's a really low socioeconomic area so I understand that they want to have a swim, but really. nno.gif

I'm not sure that they have it yet, but they were planning on getting it this week.

#7 JustBeige

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Actually I dont.  We had one. we fenced it though.

I DO think though they need to be sold with restrictions.  The main one being mandatory reporting from the retailer to the local Council.  The purchaser needs to supply 100 points of ID and the retailer needs to tell the relevant council or be fined.  

By doing this, the council then can proactively follow up on fencing of these larger pools.

I think banning them punishes the sensible people.

#8 ~Sorceress~

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

I think it's unfair that shops are allowed to SELL these pools at all without making it VERY clear what the fencing legislation is. sad.gif I like the idea of making ID mandatory at the point of sale original.gif .

One of our employees' flatmates has just purchased one of these pools. There are no children living in the house but, as I've pointed out, they don't know when a neighbouring child will stop by... sad.gif

#9 *Lib*

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

They'll soon realise that you have to empty them regularly too, they go all slimey if you don't.

#10 Old Grey Mare

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (JustBeige @ 26/11/2012, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I DO think though they need to be sold with restrictions.  The main one being mandatory reporting from the retailer to the local Council.  The purchaser needs to supply 100 points of ID and the retailer needs to tell the relevant council or be fined.  

By doing this, the council then can proactively follow up on fencing of these larger pools.

Perhaps retailers could hold the pool until they receive certification from council that fencing is approved? I don't know how sale of second hand pools would be monitored though.

#11 adl

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

FYI - my sister put in a pool fencing quotes have come in around $8000... She even looked at doing it through Bunnings but you have to concrete 1 m or so in so still a very big job! And don't save much either

She had to ring the council 5 times to confirm what is approved fencing and what isn't as many people have fencing but it's not the authorized kind ...inadvertently she report├Ęd neighbours as she wanted similar fencing not realizing that it wasn't an approved type

I looked at one of these pools wasn't worth it so we run through the sprinkler  biggrin.gif

#12 MrsW87

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (JustBeige @ 26/11/2012, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this. DH and I have bought one of these for the kids for Christmas as we have no interest in having a permanent pool. HOWEVER DH has also bought all of the stuff to fence it off. We have spoken to the council regarding the requirements for a pool fence and the fence he will build will all be in accordance with it.

#13 my serenity

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (*Lib* @ 26/11/2012, 03:16 PM)
15109205[/url]']
They'll soon realise that you have to empty them regularly too, they go all slimey if you don't.

Actually they come with a filter,  we use chlorine and they don't go slimey . We use one every year but 2 out of my 3 kids are teenagers. It's in. Small backyard with 6 ft colourbond fencing and on neighbouring sides there's an over 8ft drop and no way of climbing , my side fence is padlocked and my back doors kept locked at all times and I carry the only set of keys. I supervise my youngest at all times usually sitting in there while she plays and if any other kids make it into the backyard it's totally their parent responsibility as my fences are higher than standard pool fences and locked. If I were in a house with standard fences and inadequate ability to lock up I wouldn't have one. It's ashame that local pools aren't cheaper to use as for a large family it's not a cost they can afford every few days. In Canberra their are few options to cool off in summer and our local pools charge silly prices.

#14 Coffeegirl

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (my serenity @ 26/11/2012, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually they come with a filter,  we use chlorine and they don't go slimey . We use one every year but 2 out of my 3 kids are teenagers. It's in. Small backyard with 6 ft colourbond fencing and on neighbouring sides there's an over 8ft drop and no way of climbing , my side fence is padlocked and my back doors kept locked at all times and I carry the only set of keys. I supervise my youngest at all times usually sitting in there while she plays and if any other kids make it into the backyard it's totally their parent responsibility as my fences are higher than standard pool fences and locked. If I were in a house with standard fences and inadequate ability to lock up I wouldn't have one. It's ashame that local pools aren't cheaper to use as for a large family it's not a cost they can afford every few days. In Canberra their are few options to cool off in summer and our local pools charge silly prices.

Our council made doors opening directly into a pool area illegal last year (even if they are kept locked,, so you may want to check this with your council.  

Properties that have an exemption allowing door access to an outdoor pool and use a childsafe or child-resistant door, now must fully fence the pool

#15 MrsLexiK

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (adl @ 26/11/2012, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FYI - my sister put in a pool fencing quotes have come in around $8000... She even looked at doing it through Bunnings but you have to concrete 1 m or so in so still a very big job! And don't save much either

She had to ring the council 5 times to confirm what is approved fencing and what isn't as many people have fencing but it's not the authorized kind ...inadvertently she report├Ęd neighbours as she wanted similar fencing not realizing that it wasn't an approved type

I looked at one of these pools wasn't worth it so we run through the sprinkler  biggrin.gif

One side of our house makes up part of our "fence"  Thus the windows on the rooms need to meet certain standards.  I just downloaded the council regualtions to make sure that nothing had changed (as we realised that our pool gate was broken.  ohmy.gif We had a yard full of children and have no idea how 3 days before when we went through it was fine and then suddenly it was not.  Needless to say the parts to fix it are on the way.) Anyway it states that the windows need to be fitted with secure fly screen.  That is it.  Nothing about what type of fly screen or anything.  Reading that I am sure many would assume normal fly screen is fine. I range up to check as my step brother had mentioned it needed to be the same as our front screen (which is really tough) now I can confirm that mine is ok, but the lady I spoke to was very vague about what type of flyscreen was needed.  I would think the regulations should have actually listed something a bit more then just "secure fly screen"

#16 glasnost

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (JustBeige @ 26/11/2012, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great idea!

#17 Ant2131

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

I agree they should be banned unless they bring in a system where people have shown proof they have the fencing.  It is crazy that we wanted to purchase a spa and were told it had to be fenced (which I agree with before you all flame me) but it came with a key lockable lid - and it still needed a fence as well.  And yet any dodo can buy a blow up pool and bobs your uncle for unsupervised toddler swimming.  Sorry I just dont get it.

#18 ~Sorceress~

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Coffeegirl @ 26/11/2012, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our council made doors opening directly into a pool area illegal last year (even if they are kept locked,, so you may want to check this with your council.

A friend who built last year has a door opening into the pool area (horribly horribly unsafe sad.gif ) so I'm pretty sure it's still legal in Canberra...

#19 JustBeige

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 26/11/2012, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One side of our house makes up part of our "fence"  Thus the windows on the rooms need to meet certain standards.  I just downloaded the council regualtions to make sure that nothing had changed (as we realised that our pool gate was broken.  ohmy.gif We had a yard full of children and have no idea how 3 days before when we went through it was fine and then suddenly it was not.  Needless to say the parts to fix it are on the way.) Anyway it states that the windows need to be fitted with secure fly screen.  That is it.  Nothing about what type of fly screen or anything.  Reading that I am sure many would assume normal fly screen is fine. I range up to check as my step brother had mentioned it needed to be the same as our front screen (which is really tough) now I can confirm that mine is ok, but the lady I spoke to was very vague about what type of flyscreen was needed.  I would think the regulations should have actually listed something a bit more then just "secure fly screen"

We had to do that too.  Our windows had to have security fly screens.  We spoke to the pool and fencing inspectors and they advised us what that meant was that we had to drill security mesh over the opening part / fly screen part of the window.     I hated the idea (a bit paranoid about fires) but of course we complied with it.    Those screens can not be removed without a drill, so that is the security bit.

#20 Mummytoyou

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (my serenity @ 26/11/2012, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's ashame that local pools aren't cheaper to use as for a large family it's not a cost they can afford every few days. In Canberra their are few options to cool off in summer and our local pools charge silly prices.

Just agreeing with that.  It's not something you we can do after school on a hot day on a regular basis, it turns out it's more like a few times a summer and we go early and stay as long as possible to make it worth it.  If it were cheaper we could go more often just for a quick swim and cool down.  Not in Canberra but same in Adelaide.

Edited by Mummyone1, 26 November 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#21 littlelucyloo

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Call the local council. My awesome brother bought my daughters one of these pools two years ago. Because we have no fencing it is still sitting in it's box under our house. I was shocked at the amount of people who told me it's hot just put it up and don't worry about it!

#22 Tonberry

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Me.
SIL bought us one for Xmas last year. We rent, what the hell are we going to do with a damn pool?! No way I'm paying to put in a fence in a property we don't own, and there's no space in our yard anyway. Therefore, the box is still in the shed unopened.

eta: It will probably still be in the shed unopened in 10 years time, unless we get rid of it before then.

Edited by Tonberry, 26 November 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#23 soontobegran

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (It'sallgood @ 26/11/2012, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you have made the regulations adn  your feelings about it clear...now you should mind your own business  tongue.gif
Who made you the pool inspector general?

Tamm

TBH Tamm I think we all should be pool inspector generals.
I consider it our civic duty to speak up and be concerned...very concerned about unfenced pools and when they not only threaten the lives of the housholders children but the neighbourhood children then I advocate being as vocal as possible.

#24 protart roflcoptor

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (It'sallgood @ 26/11/2012, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you have made the regulations adn  your feelings about it clear...now you should mind your own business  tongue.gif
Who made you the pool inspector general?

Tamm

Are you f'ing serious?

How insulting and totally disrespectful to anyone who has been affected by a backyard drowning.

#25 protart roflcoptor

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Well you have learnt nothing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.