NAPLAN- Too stressful?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 peking homunculus

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

This study is all over the press today:

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/older-kids...1126-2a2b5.html

I think that perhaps we underestimate the stress associated with NAPLAN on kids.

At the annual Gala concert, one 3/4 class did an interpretation of the painting The Scream. When the kids first viewed the painting and were asked what this made them think of, the majority of kids in the class nominated NAPLAN! The act they did at the concert based on The Scream and NAPLAN was quite enlightening. It shows that even kids who seem to be coping well actually feel quite a bit of stress about the test.

And I need to add that this is a school that does NOT teach to the test. They do a bit of work over the weeks approaching the test to make sure kids are familiar with format and style of the test, but they are not dropping art/music/drama to prepare for NAPLAN and they don't do endless past papers.

You have to wonder if the results are worth it? WDYT

#2 Ianthe

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

I have three kids who have done NAPLAN-one three times, one twice and one once and they weren't stressed out by it.

#3 idignantlyright

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

DD 8yrs keeps asking when she can do NAPLAN. DD13did her Yr7 one this year.

#4 Jenno

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

All depends as well as how the parents react to it.

I was nervous for DD1 who is in year three this year, but more cause I didnt know what it was about and how she would respond.

They did several test papers in class which helped her know what to expect.

I tried to play it down, even offered not to look at the results.

On the morning of the first one she had even forgotton about it so I didnt mention it.  She was quietly confident even in maths which is her least fav subject.

As soon as they are over, she forgot about them, and I forgot about them to til she arrived home with the results.

Some schools and teachers put a lot of pressure on the kids, I heard of one local school asking one child to stay home on the day f the test.  And this is a school which is on the higher end of private.

#5 peking homunculus

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

DD sat the test last year. She has a tendency towards anxiety, but she seemed OK about it all and said she was fine.

When I talked to her about the performance of The Scream at her school concert she said:

"I know that it was all OK Mum, but it was still scary sitting the test".

We placed no pressure on her and her teacher was also keeping it very low key. Even in this no pressure environment,  she felt intimidated and scared. Not overwhelming so, but she felt it.

#6 Carmen02

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

DD sat naplan last year and wasnt bothered at all by it...her teacher was keeping things low key, DD does tend to be very laid back sometimes. DS will sit it next year he does suffer from terrible anxiety but we will see how things go

#7 FeralZombieMum

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I guess it depends on the parent's and the school's attitude.

With actual NAPLAN results, I tend to take them with a grain of salt, because it really is just a snapshot of one day, and can be easily influenced by how the child is feeling on that day. (I say this as I have a child that scored quite high, but didn't do school work - so it wasn't a reflection on her school experience as such), so I tend to be quite relaxed about the test and don't really care if my kids sit it or not - I already know most of their academic ability.

On the other hand, I think the experience of sitting the tests can be beneficial - for my child that has ASD, she has high anxiety, and the NAPLAN test has been a good way to introduce her to sitting tests as it's helped to build up to that exam experience.

My 3rd child sat NAPLAN for the first time this year, and she was quite anxious leading up to it. She was sick the week before, so didn't get to sit many practise tests at school. Once she did the first real NAPLAN, she realised she was anxious over nothing serious, and she was able to relax and enjoy doing the other tests.

#8 sophiasmum

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

I don't think my DD (year 3) was overly stressed by the Naplan, the class had done a lot of preparation with their teacher in the lead up. It was on her mind a bit the week before, but I think it's normal to have a bit of nerves before a test or any performance for that matter. When it came to the actual tests, she said they were boring & finished ahead of time.

#9 Alina0210

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

My son is in year 1 and, has a speech problem, as well as learning issues and ive already had teachers saying that year 2 is so much harder and DS will struggle as its all in preparation for NAPLAN in year 3 etc.... I could believe it, putting the pressure on him already ohmy.gif

#10 No girls here

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Definitely no stress at our place but the school doesn't place a big emphasis on it either.  DS1 did his first NAPLAN this year and they only did 1 practise test in each subject area.

It's probably a combination of school and parental pressure and general personality, as some kids seem to stress out at any type of test.

#11 julz78

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

No stress for my dd who has sat her 3rd NAPLAN, she likes them. She gets far more stressed about half yearly and yearly exams because they matter unlike NAPLAN. I was never stressed when I did the Basic Skills tests as a kid.

I think NAPLAN results can be quite handy informational tools however if my child was seriously stressed and not coping doing the NAPLAN I would be inclined just to let them stay at home on test days.

#12 CountryBumpkin

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

My son has done naplan once and wasn't bothered by it. It was nice to see his results.

#13 Buffalo Soldier

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

My three eldest have all done NAPLAN testing - DS 4 times, DD1 3 times and DD2 once.

The girls have been fine about it, never a problem and their schools have never taught to the test. DD1 actually likes comparing her results over the years.

DS has ASD and hates all exams equally but he has done it each time (while complaining) and his results are consistently high in one area and low in the other. This year was his last one.

Next year DD2 and DD3 will be tested - I'm on the NAPLAN round-about for many more years. I have always been rather blasé about the testing and I think it has rubbed of on the kids.  wink.gif

#14 annodam

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

I think NAPLAN is a waste of time, our results were used as fuel to light our fire place.

#15 Feraldadathome

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

At the beginning of year 3 (last year) DS9 indicated to us that his greatest concern going back to school was NAPLAN.

We showed him a couple of the past tests and he was calmed, and the school prepared te kids for what to expect about a week prior.

#16 BadCat

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

My kids don't stress about tests.  But our attitude to tests is that they are nothing but a chance to show what you can do, and if you can't do some of it, no big deal.

I wonder though, whether most of what these teachers are seeing is because it's built up so much.  It's in the news, the teachers prepare for it for weeks, there's a website about it, you can buy practice tests which presumably some parents do.  To some kids it must feel like their lives depend on it.  And of course some kids are always going to be anxious about any test and would probably benefit from some sessions with a psychologist.

I don't think stress is a reason to abandon the test though.  I think it needs to fade into the background and become a normal part of school instead of the huge bogeyman it has been allowed to become.

#17 Natttmumm

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

A bit of stress in any test situation is normal and not always a bad thing - I dont see the big issue.

#18 FeralMinx

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

My eldest had undiagnosed learning difficulties and being exposed to the first naplan was so damaging that she still, almost a decade later, has severe performance anxiety for tests of any sort.  She had been getting by in class by getting teacher help.  Naplan is such that when she asked the teacher to help her understand the questions, the teacher was not allowed to help her... without understanding the questions, she couldn't attempt ANY answers... she was beside herself.  She began to refuse school in the lead up to the second naplan test... I withdrew her from it.

#19 Oriental lily

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Dd sufferes terribly from anxiety.
She will be in grade 3 next year.
Depending on the lead up to test DH and I will decide if it's actually worth her even sitting it.

What's the point if she is to terrified to even give a genuine example of her capabilities?

I know she will need to learn coping strategies as she gets older but I think it's a bit cruel at this age.

Ultimately her mental health is more important.

#20 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Our principal stresses that they are not to teach to naplan, other than a couple of practice tests so they knew how to do it, DS didn't even really know it was coming up.

The school results were great

Edited by Milly Molly Mandy, 26 November 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#21 kaboo

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

My son does quite well in school, above average for most subjects. But he also suffers from anxiety and has already been upset about moving into Yr3 next year because of NAPLAN. Our school also does OLSAT testing each year (for in-house benchmarking and to follow each child's progress) and he got all worked up about that too - in spite of getting almost full marks in Literacy.

#22 seayork2002

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

I can't see how a test can stress kids, more likely the teachers/parents. I do not understand the one test for all ever shows anything other than how people perform at set test but unless others put pressure on kids how would they know what stress is?

#23 wombat

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

My DD found it too stressfull and overwhelming.  She will not be doing it again unless in the future she asks if she can.

#24 peking homunculus

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 26/11/2012, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't see how a test can stress kids, more likely the teachers/parents. I do not understand the one test for all ever shows anything other than how people perform at set test but unless others put pressure on kids how would they know what stress is?

Really?

Just being in a formal exam would be enough to make some kids anxious. Especially the year three's who have never sit an exam before.

Until I saw the piece that the kids at our school did on The Scream by Edvard Munch, I thought that kids coped OK and NAPLAN didn't phase them. Their teacher tried to dissuade them from making it about NAPLAN as she feared parents would find it political. But the kids were insistent that The Scream made them think of NAPLAN so they proceeded.

It's all well and good for us adults to say that the test isn't stressing them, but perhaps the kids see it differently?

#25 Coffeegirl

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

NAPLAN itself is not stessful

The stress is caused by the schools and teachers 'preparing' the children for months before hand.   That causes the stress.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.