When do I do what?
First baby, need advice!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RosieA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hi Ladies,
I'm pregnant with my first baby and I have no idea what to do next! I've had 3 positive pregnancy tests, period is 2 week late & boobs feel like rocks so I'm definitely preggers, just need to get a timeline in my head of when I'm supposed to do everything. Do I see a GP straight away? I don't have one here yet because we just moved, I'd go to my normal clinic near work but I don't want to have to drive there every week or whatever for checkups after I stop working, it's 45 mins away. How often do you normally see the GP during pregnancy? When should I see an OB and how often do I need to see them during pregnancy also? What is covered by Medicare and what isn't covered? When do I need to book a birthing suite or centre? I really need to get a game-plan in my head, my sister & mum would be great for that but it's so early I don't want to tell them yet. I live in Maitland NSW. All advice appreciated!
-Rosie

#2 kindling

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Firstly, congratulations! 😄

I would make an appointment at any GP to get started. They will send you to a pathology place to get blood taken. They will test that for pregnancy as well as a variety of other things just to check your vitamin and immune levels as a starting point.

The GP will also write you a referral letter to see an OB. If you gave one you'd like to use or a specific hospital you prefer then take those details with you and the GP can refer you to them. If you don't know/mind then they will have a list that they usually refer to.

You really will only see your GP for non pregnancy related illness. For any pregnancy checks you will see your OB.

If you go public I believe everything is covered by Medicare. If private then you pay your OB fee in full, Medicare will rebate about $450 of that. You will also pay for all your scans and Medicare rebate a portion of those too.

Generally speaking you will see your OB at the following points in your pregnancy (this varies between public and private system);

Weeks
6-8 Blood type, rubella titer, blood counts, HIV antibody, syphilis, hepatitis screen, ultrasound.
10-12 Doppler detection of fetal heart; CVS, if planned.
11-14 First trimester screen/Nuchal translucency (11–12 weeks is best).
15-18 Second trimester serum screen (sometimes called quad screen); amniocentesis, if planned.
18-22 Ultrasound to evaluate fetal anatomy.
24-28 Glucose screen to check for gestational diabetes.
28-36 Every-other-week visits to check blood pressure, weight, urine protein, and fetal growth.
36-40 Weekly visits to check the same things noted for 28–36 weeks and to assess fetal position. Some practitioners do internal exams to check the cervix; some do a vaginal/rectal culture for group B streptococcus.
40-?? Twice-weekly visits to assure fetal well-being.

#3 niggles

Go see your GP straight away and also start taking a pregnancy multivitamin if you are concerned your diet is not perfect. In particular, folate is very important at this stage.

The GP will answer all those questions and talk through your options with you.

If your wait for a GP is long it wouldn't hurt to also book an obstetrician straight away too (if you intend to use a private hospital to birth) as they fill up very quickly. You can get the referral after you see the GP.

Hope that helps. And congratulations. original.gif

#4 CheekyBuggers

First you'll need to see a gp who'll do all the blood work and confirm preg and do your referral (are you going public or pvt) generally public you'll get a booking in visit with the midwives around 12wks where they take all your info. At this stage you can get nt screening done test for downs syndrome and few others.

Then you see doctors at the hospital generally 16-20wks. Up until 3rd trimester if everything is ok check ups are every 4 wks and you can choose to have either shared care which is where you just go to the hospital for those 2 early appts then at 36wks and all others see a gp or go to your hospital for all appts. 3rd trimester goes to 2 weekly then from 36 weekly.

#5 happygurl06

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

First decide if your going public or private.

If your going public find a local GP or you can use your old one.

Then you need to decide if you will do your appointments at the hospital or if your GP does shared care you can just do your appointments there.  Your GP will fax off a booking firm to your local maternity hospital.

With public your first appointment (from my experience) is at about 16-19 weeks.  So your doctor usually organizes the first blood tests and 12 week ultrasound.  From there I think the appointments are monthly???  Until later in the pregnancy then they go fortnightly and then weekly. Can't remember exactly.

My GP bulk bills and I chose to go to the hospital for appointments and ultrasounds so I was not out of pocket at all.  Sine hospitals send you to private ultrasound places and costs can be upwards of $200.

If you go private I think you just choose an OB and go there for appointments and sometimes they do the ultrasounds there too.

#6 RosieA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thanks ladies! I feel ready for all this, been trying for 6 months & my naturopath has got me ready re: nutrition so I feel good.

When you say "going private", do you mean private health cover or private Obstetrician? Do have to have private health cover already or can I just join up anytime?

I'm particularly interested in a more relaxed birthing centre as I would like to avoid a "hospital" birth unless it's medically necessary. Has anyone had experiences with something like that? How does it work with OB's - do they have their own or do I see my own OB separately? And can I have my own independent midwife? Argh so much to think about!

#7 anotherid

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

If you do not have private health insurance then you would go public. Going private and paying your own way could set you back $10-20 000 or more in a private hospital. To be covered by private health insurance you need to be a member for 12-24 months before your due date. You can not join and be covered after you are pregnant.

Look up birth centres in your local area. I know that there is one at Belmont and John Hunter Hospital. Then there is Wyong hospital as well. All birth centres have a midwifery model of care and you will usually see just one throughout your pregnancy, labour and birth and postnatally. You will also met their partner in case you birth on their days off. These services are all free and your only expense will be your ultrasounds.

If this is what you want you must be considered low risk (no diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity etc) and you must book in quick, as they will book out fast.

Alternatively just call Maitland Hospital and ask what their care options are. Ask about if they have a midwifery group practice model, which is the one on one care.

You will see your GP either way between now and your booking in appointment with the midwives. Your GP will organise your initial blood tests and ultrasounds and after that the midwives will.

If you develop complications in the public system your midwives will refer you to the public obstetricians. This service is also free.

Hope this helps.

Edited by anotherid, 26 November 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#8 RosieA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hi ladies, thanks for all the advice. At the moment I'm doing shared care between my GP, naturopath (who I see normally anyway) and the Early Pregnancy Clinic (because I had a bleeding scare last week). All looks good so far! Found out there is a Midwifery Group Practice in Maitland that has only been running a couple of years, will speak to them soon. I'm leaning towards a planned home water birth so if the group practice doesn't do home births (I imagine they probably would) I've found a very experienced independent midwife who does home births. As long as it's safe I'd like to avoid the hospital!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.