New publication on immunisations

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 liveworkplay

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

The Australian academy of science have just released a new booklet about immunisations entitled "the science of immunisation" It can be downloaded from the link on their homepage (on my phn so can copy the link, sorry) I am off to read it now. News reports are saying.g it was developed to hopefully educate tbd public about vaccinations in light of the growing numbers of conscientious objectors. Will be interesting to see if it makes a difference as I know a lot will label it "scientific propaganda" rolleyes.gif

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

Do you think they'll read it?

#3 Feraldadathome

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

This is very important information - the link is http://www.science.org.au/policy/immunisation.html

Much better this factual document than googling and stumbling onto the Anti Vaccination Network or worse

Edited by dadathome, 26 November 2012 - 08:06 AM.

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Don't get me wrong - I'd like to see doctors handing the document out to be read and discussed with conscientious objectors.  I just think that if someone's looking for a reason not to vaccinate, they aren't going to seek this out.

#5 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

You can lead an anti-vaxxer to the science but you can't make them read..

#6 Feraldadathome

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (shmach @ 26/11/2012, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't get me wrong - I'd like to see doctors handing the document out to be read and discussed with conscientious objectors.  I just think that if someone's looking for a reason not to vaccinate, they aren't going to seek this out.

I agree. But science in general is so (unreasonably) maligned these days that something needs to be done. Barring contraindications, a decision not to immunise at all is a profoundly irrational choice, and that really worries me.

#7 ML0808

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Personally, I've got two fully vaccinated children, and in the past three years they have both contracted measles, rubella and now have the chicken pox. They caught each disease off children that were also fully vaccinated, who in turn caught it off other vaccinated children. (Yes, I do know that for a fact.) When I've questioned their doctors about how this is even possible, they just shrug and tell me that it's "no big deal" if a child contracts these diseases.
Really?? That's not what they tell you when you go to get the vaccinations done!
The only upside to all of this is that now I KNOW that my kids are immunised because their bodies did it naturally.
Plus, immunisations only last about 20 years, which means that this whole generation will be vulnerable to contracting these diseases right about the time they're starting to have children. Most people don't know that immunisations wear off, so we're going to have an epidemic on our hands.
Ironically, the "stupid" parents that allowed their children to get sick when they were young, will suddenly look like the only ones with any common sense.

#8 Feraldadathome

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (ML0808 @ 26/11/2012, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ironically, the "stupid" parents that allowed their children to get sick when they were young, will suddenly look like the only ones with any common sense.

Is would be useful if you could post some eveidence to back up this statement - I'm not aware of any scientific evidence (ie. real, rational, evidence) which supports your claim.

Immunity resulting from contracting diseases does not necessarily provide any greater coverage than vaccination. I personally suffered natural rubella twice and natural measles three times. Luckily it was only for the rubella I needed to be resuscitated on the way to hospital

#9 EsmeLennox

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Sounds like you need to read the booklet ML0808.

#10 Gumbette

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Personally, I've got two fully vaccinated children, and in the past three years they have both contracted measles, rubella and now have the chicken pox. They caught each disease off children that were also fully vaccinated, who in turn caught it off other vaccinated children. (Yes, I do know that for a fact.) When I've questioned their doctors about how this is even possible, they just shrug and tell me that it's "no big deal" if a child contracts these diseases.
Really?? That's not what they tell you when you go to get the vaccinations done!
The only upside to all of this is that now I KNOW that my kids are immunised because their bodies did it naturally.
Plus, immunisations only last about 20 years, which means that this whole generation will be vulnerable to contracting these diseases right about the time they're starting to have children. Most people don't know that immunisations wear off, so we're going to have an epidemic on our hands.

Really Meryl?  I'm impressed, you were able to pinpoint exactly who made your children sick, and in turn who had made those children sick too.  You're a wasted talent, maybe you should get a job at the Centre of Infectious Diseases.  

I saw DS's paediatrician on Wednesday and he spoke to me for 45 minutes about stupid parents letting their children get sick and the epidemic they have on their hands overseas due to Dr Wakefields' falsified research.

You need a new GP.

#11 Sif

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

I personally suffered natural rubella twice and natural measles three times. Luckily it was only for the rubella I needed to be resuscitated on the way to hospital

Yep, and I assume you have been vaccinated against rubella as well, so the vaccinations left you no better off...

#12 Feraldadathome

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Gumbette @ 26/11/2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really Meryl?

I was thinking the same thing. The AVN's new line seems to be "my kids are fully vaccinated but you shouldn't vaccinate yours because...."

#13 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (AllegraM @ 26/11/2012, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can lead an anti-vaxxer to the science but you can't make them read..

substitue read for think and we are on the money

#14 Feraldadathome

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (Sif @ 26/11/2012, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, and I assume you have been vaccinated against rubella as well, so the vaccinations left you no better off...

My children have been vaccinated as there is no reason for them to suffer these vaccine preventable diseases. The rational evidence clearly indicates that the risk of side effects (as opposed to possible minor adverse reactions) is massively lower than the risks arising from contracting the diseases.

#15 ML0808

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (Gumbette @ 26/11/2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really Meryl?  I'm impressed, you were able to pinpoint exactly who made your children sick, and in turn who had made those children sick too.  You're a wasted talent, maybe you should get a job at the Centre of Infectious Diseases.  

I saw DS's paediatrician on Wednesday and he spoke to me for 45 minutes about stupid parents letting their children get sick and the epidemic they have on their hands overseas due to Dr Wakefields' falsified research.

You need a new GP.

No need to be b**chy. Yes, I DO know. My children got it from two children in the street, who got it from a friend at school. And you may have spoken to your pediatrician for 45 minutes about "stupid" parents (good use of the doctors time by the way! cclap.gif ), but I've spoken for HOURS to the two drug reps in my family about the stupid doctors who will tell their patients anything to get the free dinners and deep sea fishing trips offered by them. I've also had doctors who will sit with a medical book in front of them because they don't know what a cold is, doctors who write out antibiotic scripts for asthma, and one who, upon seeing my son's adverse reaction to one medication, advised that I give him MORE because that's what he'd been "told to say"! As for the children who gave my kids chicken pox, their mother is a nurse and she had to come to ME to diagnose them because she didn't know the symptoms, the duration, or how to treat it! (Of course, by then my kids were already infected, so no, I couldn't have prevented them getting sick!)
Clearly I'm not against vaccinations. But from the conversations that I've had with doctors, there are a lot of bad batches being given to children, and they're not even reporting the incidents to the drug companies so that they can do anything about it! (and yes, I do know this, because they told me that it wasn't necessary to tell them.)
Be smug all you want. It doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

#16 Feraldadathome

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (ML0808 @ 26/11/2012, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clearly I'm not against vaccinations. But from the conversations that I've had with doctors, there are a lot of bad batches being given to children, and they're not even reporting the incidents to the drug companies so that they can do anything about it! (and yes, I do know this, because they told me that it wasn't necessary to tell them.)

Please provide evidence of these claims. If there are bad batches, why aren't these being notified more widely if doctors are aware of them? Why are the doctors being negligent in their reporting? If they aren't reporting it are they happy to allow children to be harmed, which is what they're doing if there are in fact such cases. Surely harming children in this way is a criminal act?

If you have evidence of this, please report it as it is everyone's interest to make the already extremely safe vaccination absolutely as safe as possible.

#17 ML0808

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (dadathome @ 26/11/2012, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please provide evidence of these claims. If there are bad batches, why aren't these being notified more widely if doctors are aware of them? Why are the doctors being negligent in their reporting? If they aren't reporting it are they happy to allow children to be harmed, which is what they're doing if there are in fact such cases. Surely harming children in this way is a criminal act?

If you have evidence of this, please report it as it is everyone's interest to make the already extremely safe vaccination absolutely as safe as possible.

What is it with all of you abusing me like I'm some stupid hippie who doesn't know any better? I had my children vaccinated. I'm NOT against vaccinations. I didn't get anything I know off the internet or out of a booklet, and my name's not Meryl!
I know there are bad batches because my children's doctors (they have a few) have ALL said "Sometimes you get a bad batch. It's no big deal. They'll be over it in a couple of weeks. It happens all the time". It's not a theory. It's a direct quote.
But I guess that's not enough for all of you. I guess if someone's opinion deviates even slightly from yours they must be an idiot, because you all know all there is to know about everything. You all need to get a life. I'm done with this ridiculous site! waves.gif

#18 Gumbette

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (ML0808 @ 26/11/2012, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And you may have spoken to your pediatrician for 45 minutes about "stupid" parents (good use of the doctors time by the way! cclap.gif ),

He spoke to me about it, I didn't pin him down for 45 minutes, it happens to be something he's very passionate about and speaks to all his patients about it in length, now who's being b**chy?

about the stupid doctors who will tell their patients anything to get the free dinners and deep sea fishing trips offered by them.

Not sure why they would offer my paediatrician dinner or fishing trips as he doesn't give vaccinations himself, but yeah okay   wacko.gif   I actually worked for an orthpaedics company - the *trips* they took them on were for surgeons who directly used their products, not for those simply referring, and TBH that was 8 years ago, I'm not even sure if those types of trips are on offer anymore, but you have TWO drug reps in your family, so I guess you would know.

I've also had doctors who will sit with a medical book in front of them because they don't know what a cold is, doctors who write out antibiotic scripts for asthma, and one who, upon seeing my son's adverse reaction to one medication, advised that I give him MORE because that's what he'd been "told to say"!

Refer to my previous post - you really do need a new GP.

As for the children who gave my kids chicken pox, their mother is a nurse and she had to come to ME to diagnose them because she didn't know the symptoms, the duration, or how to treat it!

Wow, you really are a wasted resource.

#19 seepi

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

I always wonder about people who are anti vaccination,and whine a lot about stupid doctors having no idea every time they see them.

If you hate doctors and they are always wrong and you know more than them, then why go to the doctor. Just opt out and treat everything at home with wheatgrass or something.

I mean I'm not sold on naturopaths, so I dont' go to see them - I think it would be wierd if I continually took my whole family to a naturopath, but disregarded all their advice and went on and on about how they know nothing.

#20 Jane Jetson

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

They caught each disease off children that were also fully vaccinated, who in turn caught it off other vaccinated children. (Yes, I do know that for a fact.)  When I've questioned their doctors about how this is even possible, they just shrug and tell me that it's "no big deal" if a child contracts these diseases.

So basically what you're saying is that your children were among the unlucky few for whom vaccination did not result in immunity - that is, no seroconversion. In other words, the rest of us have a responsibility to vaccinate to protect childen like yours.

You also appear to be saying that individual doctors... oh, such as perhaps the ones who recommend homoeopathy instead of vaccination... are not infallible? Along with a load of guff which clearly shows no understanding of the rules and regulations surrounding incentivisation for health professionals? How interesting. It's almost as though one should rely on a vast body of research for our information, instead of one individual health provider.

Sounds to me like a strong argument for booster shots! Good idea. Let's communicate to adults that they need *more* immunisation. I like the way you think.

#21 ShopgirlX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Most people don't know that immunisations wear off, so we're going to have an epidemic on our hands.

Most people don't know that?  Are you for real?

And I'd also love a show of hands from vaxxers who actually think vaxxing will prevent their child from getting any of those ilnesses... at. all.  Ever.

Off to find a good sturdy brick wall....

#22 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Love the new ad/booklet.

Very worried about the stats given about the increase in AVs.

Love Seepi original.gif

#23 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (shopgirl76 @ 26/11/2012, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most people don't know that?  Are you for real?

And I'd also love a show of hands from vaxxers who actually think vaxxing will prevent their child from getting any of those ilnesses... at. all.  Ever.

Off to find a good sturdy brick wall....

I think vaccinating will save my kids lives if/when they are exposed to life-threatening illnesses such as measles.

I don't think they wont get them. At all. Ever.

#24 TheWanderer

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (seepi @ 26/11/2012, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you hate doctors and they are always wrong and you know more than them, then why go to the doctor. Just opt out and treat everything at home with wheatgrass or something.

Not really much you can do about the medical equivalent of scab labour. Just like those who are happy to reap the rewards of workplace reforms that are fought for by those around but don't want shoulder any of the effort, these people are happy to enjoy the benefits of the relatively disease free society we have without wanting to risk the side effects... which are rarer and and far less severe than if the illnesses that we are protecting against were left to run rampant through the population unchecked.

#25 PrincessPeach

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

If anyone wants some evidence that vaccinations do work to reduce these diseases just do a search on smallpox.

Sorry - the new publication is quite a comprehensive document! Covers a lot of the myths.

Edited - so it makes sense!

Edited by PrincessPeach, 26 November 2012 - 10:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.