Using the redraw on a mortgage as your savings account?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 audrey09

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

I'm confused!

I will have a mortgage soon and have been told by many people that it's best to put all your extra savings onto your mortgage and then you have access to the extra money you have added from the redraw. So it's there when you need it. Like a savings account. Of course with the right mortgage.

Does this defeat the purpose of paying more off your mortgage in the first place if then I will go into the redraw and take out what i need? Would I be going backwards and be undoing all the interest savings I've made once I withdraw the money?

I'm asking this because if I use my mortgage as a savings account also, that money is being saved for a purpose so it's going to be withdrawn at some point....could be 1 year or 2 or whatever.  
So is it better to have a specific savings account instead or is it better to put it on the mortgage to save interest even though you know that money is only sitting there temporarily?

Hope this makes sense!!

#2 katrina24

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

There are lots of different ways to set up a mortgage. I would seek some advice from the bank or a professional about your specific situation.

We use a line of credit (which is part of our mortgage) as our everyday/savings account. Lots of people have an offset account - while the money is in there it reduces the interest paid.  

#3 pitzinoodles

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

If you put all your savings into the mortgage, you will save interest for the whole time it is in there.

Assuming you don't get charged fees to get it out, and you can't get a better interest rate on a term deposit (you won't!) then you will be better off.

As an incentive, it is harder to redraw, than just take it out of an ordinary account, so hopefully that will prevent you spending it till you really need to.

#4 Julie3Girls

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

If the money is sitting against your mortgage, for that time, you are saving yourself interest on the mortgage.

Most of the time, the amount of interest you save if a fair bit more than the interest you would earn in a savings account.
The interest on a savings account is usually a very low percentage, and it's also taxable income.

Once you redraw the money, yes your interest payments will go back up a bit because your mortgage has gone back up. But you have still saved yourself money in the time it was in there.

We have an offset account, which I like. The mortgage payment still gets made directly to the mortgage account, but everything else goes into the offset account. Which reduces the amount of interest we pay on the mortgage. And we can treat the account the same as any other saving account.

#5 audrey09

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Guys I will definately be getting proper advice. I've spoken to my broker about it and i'm looking into different home loans with this lender.

Pitzinoodles, that's what I don't understand. I know interest is being saved while the money is in there BUT what happens when it's time to take that money out for whatever it is that you've been saving for?
Do you go back to square one?

#6 SeaPrincess

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

You can only redraw extra payments.

While the money is in the mortgage, it is reducing your interest.  If you haven't paid any extra, you can't redraw.

We have both a free redraw facility and an offset account. We pay extra each fortnight into the mortgage, plus whatever is in our normal account is also offsetting the interest on the mortgage.  I like to transfer money to the mortgage and keep the redraw amount going up, but this way, no matter where the money is, it is working for us.

R

#7 harryboy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

You should pay exactly what you have to off the mortgage and build up the rest in an offset account, especially if in the future this property becomes an investment not your place of residence. As PP said, money is still working for you in offset.

#8 Foogle

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

There is a difference between an offset account and a redraw account.  From a tax point of view they are treated differently. Talk to your financial advisor about which would suit your situation better.

I've done a quick google and found this report about the difference.

#9 Feral Nicety

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Interest is calculated daily on your mortgage account so every day you have extra money in there the interest is less.  Once you take the  money out the interest is calculated on the new balance.  It does not reset and you are not penalised.

Just understand that it is the daily balance that is what matters.

#10 BetteBoop

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

We have a mortgage with a redraw facility. It simply means you can pull back any money you've paid above the minimum amount for that time.

So if you pay $100 pw extra on your mortgage, after 1 year you will have an extra $5200 in mortgage repayments that you're allowed to redraw.

We also have an offset account. All of our income goes into this account and the account balance directly offsets how much money we pay in interest on our mortgage.

I recommend both products. They're the most popular options, but a redraw facility can get you into real trouble if you're not good with money. The money is just too easy to redraw.

#11 jayskette

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

specific savings account  vs redraw is just like paying off debt off 1 credit card (highest interest rate) completely first vs paying a bit of debt off each of your credit cards. In both cases, one option is clearly the smarter/more logical choice, but the second one may be psychologically better for some people's mindsets.

#12 intd242

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

I'd go with the offset ... if you put all your savings into the loan expecting to use the redraw and you end up turning it into an investment property it can get messy!!

#13 audrey09

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

There are things that I'd like to save up for like holidays, education costs, maybe renovations etc.
I will be needing to redraw this money out because it is being saved up for a goal, not just to sit there forever unfortunately!

I'm a single parent too so it's only my wages going into the account.
When people talk about redraw accounts they sound great but the thing is I WILL be redrawing this money if I use it as a savings account because I'm saving for something.

#14 PatG

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

I have no intention to turn my house into an investment and I have a no fee redraw loan.  I pay my credit card out of it each month and so far that has been the only redraws but I know i have a stack of money there I can use if I suddenly need a new fridge or repairs on the house.  I wish I had an offset account though because I have to keep money in my transaction account ready to pay the obligatory mortgage payment each week and that isn't decreasing the interest in the days between pay day and mortgage repayment day.  I'm with Commbank and they don't offer a real offset account.

#15 intd242

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I had not intention to turn my house into an investment either, but things do have a tendency to change. On reflection, I should have gone with an offset.

#16 soapy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

If we have money sitting in our accounts I put them onto the mortage. Keep a spreadsheet the savings you have put in there so you know what's what.

#17 bluedragon

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Any extra money in either an offset account or available for redraw is reducing the amount of interest you pay while it's there. So you can think of it like the extra interest you would have paid if the additional money wasn't there has been paid off the principle instead. This in turn reduces the amount of interest paid in subsequent payments.

So even if you take the money out at some point the benefit of having it there for that time continues and you will always be better off.

#18 Overtherainbow

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

If you have $10 000 in savings sitting on your mortgage or in an offset account, you'd save $50 per month (at 6%) until you withdraw it.  You will not be paying any tax on that $50 and there are few savings accounts offering %6.

Negative, easy to withdraw, if you have it as an investment later savings may be better elsewhere, you may have withdrawal fees.

#19 bailee

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (intd242 @ 25/11/2012, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had not intention to turn my house into an investment either, but things do have a tendency to change. On reflection, I should have gone with an offset.

To this and those posts saying you should get an offset account, redraws are not fixed in stone. You can redraw the balance and start from scratch without any dramas. It is not hard. And while  some people go from a home loan to an investment property, most do not, it is hardly a reason to recommend an offset account over a redraw facility.

We use a redraw facility and it works really well. I share my loan with my sister not a partner so an offset account is not suitable for us. We started with only $20 extra per fortnight by rounding up our repayments. Interest rates went up at one point and we have kept up that maximum payment amount now for a few years so we are no well ahead. Each dollar in the mortgage saves us interest each month. So as you reduce the principle you reduce the interest you and and tht difference further reduces your principle and increases your extra payments. We redraw for all sorts of reasons. We don't have a minimum redraw amount or fees to pay so ours is really flexible. We have never had to redraw everything in there, there is always more than we need because we re constantly saving on interest payment. There is no disadvantage to this option unless you have penalties, such as high redraw fees, high minimum redraw amounts or a higher interest rate for the privelidge (but we dont have any f that).

Sorry about errors, dumb iPad.

Edited by bailee, 25 November 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#20 audrey09

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Initially there won't be large amounts like $10,000 sitting in there. I will work towards that by paying more with time.

I wasn't sure if the benefits are worth it for people who don't have huge amounts in the offset. With CBA there is a yearly fee of approx $350 to have the offset account, it's hard to work out if it will even be saving me this amount per year in interest.

#21 CallMeFeral

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Audrey09, I think it's worth shopping around to find somewhere with either a redraw OR an offset account cheaply (both will have a similar interest saving). Mine costs me about $70 a year - $350 seems excessive.

In terms of what you're saying regarding withdrawing it and going back to zero, the best way I can describe it is:
- when you make a scheduled payment, some of it goes to interest (I), some of it pays the original borrowing (P)
- the amount that goes to each depends on how much interest you are liable for that month, which in turn depends on how much of the original borrowing there is left to be repaid. Over time, P gets smaller and smaller, which in turn reduces the interest, which in turn then increases the amount that gets paid off P. Towards the end of your load you'd be paying off mostly principle, at the beginning, mostly interest
- the more that goes to interest, the less goes against the initial borrowing
- by paying less interest at any given time, your original borrowing gets a little bit more paid towards it - THAT is the benefit that stays, even after you withdraw your money again. The reduction on interest in those few months that your money was there, means that a little bit more of your repayments went to reduce your P amount during that time

Hope that helps!

#22 SNT349

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Your repayments will be calculated based on the amount you borrow initially.  If you pay more than the required amount, your loan will be in advance by that amount.  The repayments include the interest as well as some capital.  So say you borrow $200,000, the repayments will be based on that and if your loan is in advance by say $2000, then you only pay interest on $198,000 but your repayments stay the same.  So you are in effect paying more off your capital.  So the more in advance you are, the less interest you pay (even if only for a short period).

You should also check if there is a fee for redraw or a minimum amount.  Ours is $25 per redraw and you have to withdraw at least $2000.

Hope that makes sense.

#23 audrey09

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thanks so much ladies!  original.gif
I have many questions for my broker at our next meeting!

#24 SeaPrincess

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (audrey09 @ 25/11/2012, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With CBA there is a yearly fee of approx $350 to have the offset account, it's hard to work out if it will even be saving me this amount per year in interest.

A good broker should be able to tell you what sort of amount you need to keep in offset to make it worthwhile.  When we got our first mortgage, we asked about an offset account and the rep told us that because the mortgage product with offset had a higher interest rate, we needed to have roughly $10,000 in the offset as a minimum. We opted for their lower interest product with free redraw.  We do have a minimum redraw amount, but since there's no minimum to pay in, we just redraw the minimum, then put the rest back in.

R

#25 Coffeegirl

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

We have 2 mortgages one fixed interest, and one variable with an offset account, as well as our day-to-day saving account.  We fixed a little over 50% of or full amount as we were unsure of where he interest rates were going and we like the certainty of knowing what we owe from month to month.

My wage goes into the general savings account and is used for day to day things.  Groceries, smaller bills, gifts etc and smaller bills.  

Dh's wage (much larger than mine) goes into the offset and we have direct debits come out for larger bills like electricity, PHI, insurances etc.  The left over money just sits there and works towards offsetting some of the interest on the varianle mortgage.    Every month or so, if we have it, we put $500-1000 into the redraw part of this mortgage.  Our minimun amount to redraw is $2000 from our bank so we like to have a smaller amount sitting in the offset for smaller emergencies (like a hot water tank, or plumbing problem)

The fixed mortgage just sits there and we pay the fixed payments fortnightly

Our bank doesn't charge us any extra annually for the redraw or offset, but this is probably more to do with the size of our mortgage.   We do pay $350 a year for 'admin fees' or some odd thing and a$5/mth acct fee on the offset.  So $60/year.  

You aren't confusing the annual mortgage account fees for the entire mortgage with the offset account fees maybe?

Spelling sucks, in a hurry and can't be bothered fixing it.

Edited by Coffeegirl, 26 November 2012 - 07:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.