Santa photos

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 jobo77

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't get overly excited about getting santa photos done? I feel a bit guilty and will probably end up doing one but for some reason it just doesnt seem to make me all excited like most of my other friends with kids get (not to mention the people who take their pets down for photos).
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE santa and I am super excited about xmas this year because my DD who is 3 is finally old enough to understand it and I can't wait to see her face on xmas morning when she realises santa has come but the photos...blergh.
Anyway, I will most likely do them but was wondering if others feel the same way or perhaps don't ever do them?

#2 Unatheowl

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

I certainly don't get excited about them.  I do them for my parents but meh.  I don't actually know if any of my friends bother with them though.

#3 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I don't either, actually the pics with some random old guy really don't do it for me but this year I have decided I am going to make the effort to get them done, I don't want the kids to get older and ask why we never had them.

I do love some other xmas pics though, the family ones that people often do with all the kids in red and white and use as a christmas card  etc are nice.

#4 Fr0g

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

No, I don't care about Santa pics. I think 1 photo with a toddler on Santa's knee is completely satisfactory.

#5 opethmum

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

My kids will not be getting santa photos done. ever. I am happy to do photos beside the Christmas tree, Nativity scene but for me I find Santa photos tacky and nms.

#6 Milamum09

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

My kids always manage to make it an epic fail but I continue to live in hope....

#7 Feral_Pooks

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Yes you are totally weird, I was SOOOoOoOooooo excited about it (they are already done!) and therefore everyone else should be too biggrin.gif

#8 citylife

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

I don't get excited over Santa photos. I got one done when both kids had their first Christmas which was more a keepsake for me, will do another one together if not this yr the next yr. Will not be going specifically to have one done.

#9 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

I hate that they are horribly overpriced. I don't mind the idea of Santa photos, but my kids generally don't cooperate with having them done, so it's a big fat waste of money for me.

#10 Baggy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

I love Santa photos!

Every year I take both DDs to see him, but I have only managed two photos, one of DD1 as a newborn, and one of DD1 when she was 2 (only because she distracted herself with chocolate and didn't see him sitting behind her laughing2.gif )

This year they saw Santa and said hello, too scared to get too close though. I'm going to take them again when we go to Myer windows and see how we go.

I'd love to have a photo every year. It'll never happen though.

#11 JaneDoe2010

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Never done them with our kids. Not interested.

#12 .Jerry.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

We've done one or two photos.  I can take them or leave them.  

I really don't understand having a tiny baby's photo done though...

Molly is terrified this year though.  And that is from a child who has been told Santa isn't real.

#13 Propaganda

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

I do one each year. If nothing else, it'll show her growth at around the same point of each year of her life. It would be cool to line them all up side-by-side to note the differences, since the pose is pretty much the same (on Santa's lap and smiling).

She's never been forced into it (except as a baby, when she didn't care either way). Even when she has been a little timid, she has been very certain that she didn't want to leave the line, and that she wanted to meet him and have the photo taken. I am hoping that this year she doesn't spend her time in line being nervous and trying to decide whether she really wants to or not. It's up to her though. I don't really mind if she doesn't feel happy doing it.

#14 Awesome101

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

I take my mids to see santa but have never bought the photos. A few places have let me take a pic on my phone so thats enough for me

#15 Jekaho

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

We've not done a Santa photo as yet. Not sure if we ever will.

#16 50ftqueenie

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Many years ago when I was a child, we would go and see Santa but there weren't any photos?  We would sit on his lap, tell him our name and he would ask what we would like for Christmas and that was it. This doesn't seem to be possible anymore. If your child wants to "meet" Santa you have to get a photo.

Gosh this makes me sound like a tightwad!

#17 LynnyP

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I started both mine at around 2 or 3, obviously I only have them done for the younger one now.  I like seeing the growth each year.  I've never made them have them taken but they have never been upset.

Yesterday was the school fete and a student photographer took Santa photos for 5 dollars with one of the teachers dressed up as Santa and the Principal dressed as Mrs Claus (in her doctoral gown which is red and green!).  Good fun.

#18 whitelights

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I still have memories of being forced to sit on Santa's lap for a photo when I was about 5 or 6 and completely terrified and mum was furious I was in tears and 'ruined' the photos so swore I'd never put my kids through that. It is the smallest thing, but I still remember how horrible it was, all these years later.

I just dress them up in their 'Christmas' outfit and a take a picture in front of the tree, although not sure how much longer that will last, as DS is starting to hit that age where he learned Santa isn't real this year and is too 'cool' for a Christmas outfit. He was pretty unenthusiastic when we went shopping yesterday, so I think this might be the last year we get the pic.

(Or we will get a couple more if we do what DH said and tell him that if he takes a few pictures without complaint and doesn't 'ruin' Santa for his sisters, he will still get the full load of Santa presents.)

The grandparents have always been pretty content with that, we've never been asked for a Santa pic by either set of parents and the kids have never asked for one. If they ever did, we'd probably get one, but they seem happy enough to just wave at him when they walk past in Myer and send their letters off.

Edited by whitelights, 25 November 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#19 harryboy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

For those annoyed at the cost, Harvey Norman does a free photo or you can buy packs starting from $10, so a lot cheaper than the dept stores. I don't get "excited" by it but I've gotten one every year for a keepsake. DS is now 8 and this is probably the last year he will agree to it!.

#20 Baggy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (50ftqueenie @ 25/11/2012, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many years ago when I was a child, we would go and see Santa but there weren't any photos?  We would sit on his lap, tell him our name and he would ask what we would like for Christmas and that was it. This doesn't seem to be possible anymore. If your child wants to "meet" Santa you have to get a photo.

Gosh this makes me sound like a tightwad!

I've never had to get a photo if I didn't want one?

There have been many times that we have gone and lined up to see Santa,  just to say hello and for DD1 to tell him what she would like for Christmas. The other day we went to see Santa, but they only wanted to talk to him (from a distance laughing2.gif), and they still got a little gift even though we didn't get a photo.

#21 Expelliarmus

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

What, no BINGO yet? Tounge1.gif

#22 LynnyP

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

I think we achieved bingo a couple of days ago.

#23 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

My DS was always terrified of Santa as a baby/toddler, so I never made him have a photo with Santa.  

It's only been since he was 5 that he's actually requested to do it.  I don't have a problem if it's something he would like, but I wouldn't try to talk him into it.

#24 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

We go to DJs in the city...it's a rort but DS likes the winter wonderland thing they have going there....there is this talking tree thing which - as far as I can tell- is actually a real person inside (an out of work actor I assume!) ...DS drives them bonkers with inane questions while we queue .....last years photo was so bad it was comical, DS is at the stage where he doesn't do nice natural smiles anymore, they are these forced grimaces and the Santa was....odd....anyway, no doubt we will be going in to do it all again!

#25 miinii

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

I LOVE Santa photos and so do my kids.

They love picking out what they are going to wear and then enjoy showing family and friends who come to our house near christmas.

I would never force my kids to have them done though

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.