New Smart Meters for Electricity

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 purpleblackqueen

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

My new house that I am renovating has the new smart meters installed by that previous owners.

I was told (by the electricity supplier) that my house work would have to be done after 10.30pm-  

So how do you work with your meters????

Me washing at 10.30pm will be impossible as each load generally take 50 mins and then beeps until it is turned off.

I dont want to be up at that hour turning things off and the laundry is less than 5 meters away from Jack's bedroom, so even with doors  closed chances are he will hear it.

Edited by purpleblackqueen, 25 November 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#2 lovealpacas

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Do your appliances do delayed start? I set my washing machine so it finishes at about 7am when I get up. It has a 9 hour delay so at 9:30pm I turn it on and set it to start in 9 hours. That might work for you.

Also make sure you check your bills to make sure you are being charged both peak an off-peak rates. For both us and friends of ours with smart meters, we were being charged normal rates. It took 6 months and calls to the ombudsman to get our bill corrected, and then for the very next billing period they made the same mistake! The correct charges saw us saving about $600 for the 6 months worth of electricity, so it is definitely worth using your power wisely and checking your bills.

OP if your washing machine doesn't have delayed start, look in to getting one of those PowerPoint timers. Not sure what they're called exactly but they are an adapter with a timer that you plug in to the powerpoint, then you plug your appliance in to that.

HTH

#3 purpleblackqueen

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (lovealpacas @ 25/11/2012, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do your appliances do delayed start? I set my washing machine so it finishes at about 7am when I get up. It has a 9 hour delay so at 9:30pm I turn it on and set it to start in 9 hours. That might work for you.

Also make sure you check your bills to make sure you are being charged both peak an off-peak rates. For both us and friends of ours with smart meters, we were being charged normal rates. It took 6 months and calls to the ombudsman to get our bill corrected, and then for the very next billing period they made the same mistake! The correct charges saw us saving about $600 for the 6 months worth of electricity, so it is definitely worth using your power wisely and checking your bills.

OP if your washing machine doesn't have delayed start, look in to getting one of those PowerPoint timers. Not sure what they're called exactly but they are an adapter with a timer that you plug in to the powerpoint, then you plug your appliance in to that.

HTH

Do those powerpoint timers work with digital/computerised washing machines? That is what mine in, but I can't pre-program it to start/stop at certain times.

#4 Julie3Girls

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Peak is 2pm-8pm Mon-Friday
Shoulder is 7am - 2pm, 8pm - 10pm, Mon-Fri, and 7am-10pm on weekends.
Off peak is 10pm-7am 7 days a week

Shoulder pricing isn't too bad, I do try and avoid running things during the peak period.
I tend to things like the laundry in the morning (so shoulder time), which fits in with my general time schedules anyway. I'll often load up the first load, set it run early in the morning around 6am. Makes it easier for me to get a couple of loads done anyway.
The dishwasher gets run after 10pm

Check out your pricing for the different periods, and the exact time frames for the different price categories.  Nothing saying you can't do your laundry at any time of the day, just a matter of how much it will cost you in electricity.

Edited by Julie3Girls, 25 November 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#5 melbgirl

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

I am sorry but am I missing something?

How can your power company tell you that you have to do your housework after 10.30pm?

I have a smart meter and I can do my housework whenever I like

Do they turn your power off?

I am confused

#6 protart roflcoptor

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (melbgirl @ 25/11/2012, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sorry but am I missing something?

How can your power company tell you that you have to do your housework after 10.30pm?

I have a smart meter and I can do my housework whenever I like

Do they turn your power off?

I am confused

Ummm, yes. I am confused as well. Perhaps he was just telling you the most efficient (cheapest) time to do your housework?

Guess it was one of those things that could have been picked up before purchase, but wasn't.

#7 Chocolate Addict

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Another one confused by that. We have a smart meter and just keep doing things the same way as before it was installed. Bills have not increased nor decreased. (well, they have now but that is because we got solar panels installed)

#8 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

I'm out of the loop of this one too. I have a smart meter and nothing changed here...

#9 notorico

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

We just had our first bill with smart metre pricing and it was double the previous bill. Since then I turn the washing machine and dishwasher on when I go to bed. I try and turn most things off at the power if they are not being used during the peak period. If I do any baking it is also outside of the peak hours. We charge all our devices overnight as well.

The costs are something like

10pm to 7 am - 13 cents/kw
7am to 2pm - 23 cents/kw
2pm to 8 pm - 48 cents/kw
8pm to 10pm - 23 cents/kw

I am really keen to see our next bill and if our changes have made a difference.

eta Our smart metre was put in over a year ago but it took our electricity provider to months to switch to time of use billing.

Edited by notorico, 25 November 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#10 Redonk

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Umm... turn it off? Or have it uninstalled or something. You own it, you can do whatever you like!

#11 *~*Melinda*~*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

they just mean that during the peak electricity time you will be paying 4 times the amount for power so you wont want to be running dishwashers, dries, washing machines and vacuums.

I do a load of washing the in shoulder period between 8 -10 pm then put it in the drier with a delay start to turn on at 10.30. then same with my dishwasher load it as normal but delay start to turn on at 10.30

I have a gas stove so my cooking doesnt need to change but when I want to use the oven for dinner i cook it in the daytime shoulder before 2pm.

We also have an energy reader so i can see how much we are using at any given time and also how much we use day/week/month/ quarter.

#12 kadoodle

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Our electricity company doesn't even know how to go about using the data from our smart meter.  They really are amazing devices, telling you how many kw/h each outlet is using and at what time and price.

They've been de rigour in Europe and Japan for at least a decade now, it's sad how far in the dark ages Australia is in regards to green and smart technology.

OP - you can get timers for appliances free from the government, they've been passing them out door to door for months now and you can order them from their website.  Otherwise just use the shoulder period.

#13 *~*Melinda*~*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

you can ask to be put back onto normal billing prices but if you can make it work it is cheaper.

#14 humphreybear

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Depending on how much you use you might be better off.

I changed a few years ago and save about about 30% (same area). I just don't run the dryer, dishwasher, washing machine during the 2 - 8pm period unless I really have to. I now think twice about putting on the air conditioner. I'm business as normal during he shoulder period.

As a PP said some (not all) retailers let you go back to the all time rates if you want to, just ask.

Redonk - you don't own the meter and unless by turn it off you mean permanently disconnect yourself the meter itself is here to stay.

#15 libbylu

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

We put our dishwasher on before we go to bed or when we first get up, and try to do most of our washing and vacuuming on the weekend.  I think you'd be crazy to use a drier with the current electricity costs unless you have a tribe of kids....we've always managed without in Vic.  If I get really desperate with sheets in winter I go down to the local laundramat and it costs $4 to dry two loads worth in a big machine - this happens about twice each winter.
And our washing machine beeps too - only for about 10 minutes though.  Our laundry is opposite DSs room - laundry door is closed but DSs bedroom door always open - and it has never woken him up when we have put the machine on after he has gone to bed.  They sleep pretty heavily for the first half of the night.

The 'off-peak' time stays the same through the year, so it effectively changes with daylight savings, so in our distribution area in Victoria off peak is mid-night to 8am between April to Oct and 11pm to 7am between October and April and all day weekends.  If you know the exact times you can be clever about it and save heaps.

#16 The Old Bag

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Google your washing machines manual, there is probably a way to turn the stupid beeping off, then you can happily run it at night and take advantage of the off peak rates.

#17 humphreybear

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (libbylu @ 25/11/2012, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 'off-peak' time stays the same through the year, so it effectively changes with daylight savings, so in our distribution area in Victoria off peak is mid-night to 8am between April to Oct and 11pm to 7am between October and April and all day weekends.  If you know the exact times you can be clever about it and save heaps.

PBQ for you the times stay the same regardless of whether it is at light savings or not ie off-peak is always 10pm to 7 am.

#18 ~*Twilight~Zone*~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 25/11/2012, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our electricity company doesn't even know how to go about using the data from our smart meter.  They really are amazing devices, telling you how many kw/h each outlet is using and at what time and price.

They've been de rigour in Europe and Japan for at least a decade now, it's sad how far in the dark ages Australia is in regards to green and smart technology.

OP - you can get timers for appliances free from the government, they've been passing them out door to door for months now and you can order them from their website.  Otherwise just use the shoulder period.

Do you know which Govt Agency is offering these? Wouldn't mind a few myself.

#19 JJ

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 25/11/2012, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Longer even... I know we had them 30 years ago in Europe. My mum always timed her washing etc. accordingly. When I first moved to Australia, it took me a while to figure out that there was no such thing here.

#20 kadoodle

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (~*Twilight~Zone*~ @ 25/11/2012, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you know which Govt Agency is offering these? Wouldn't mind a few myself.

This is where I went for Victorian government offers.

#21 MrsLexiK

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Is your washing machine a Simpson at all PBQ? Mine the beep thing can't be turned off it just beeps and beeps in intervals until you lift the lid.

On another note I had no idea about these smart meters charging different rates I didn't realise how can I figure out if I have been charged on the smart rates? (Our bills have increase heaps lately even though our consumption is less but we use it mostly at night)

#22 emmafg

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

I think some are confusing Time of Use Tariffs and "Smart Meters".

Time of use tariffs have been around for a long time, even in Australia.  Traditionally you have needed separate meters to measure usage during the different day periods.  Many retailers don't offer these tariffs or in the main offer then to rural and business premises.  

Smart Meters on the other hand (in VIC) measure usage in 30 minute intervals in the single meter, and remotely transmit this data to your power company and to an domestic display.   They also have the capability to remotely regulate or cut your power usage ....the reason many other countries are putting these meters in, not for the green benefits.    

Note that the VIC government is not allowing any new TOU tariffs to be applied to customers with smart meters as many welfare groups have concerns that low income households will be disadvantaged, so even if you wanted one it is unlikely you could.

There are very few parts of the world (yes Japan, some parts of Europe, California) who have implemented remote smart meters at a large scale - very few (if any) have mandated TOU tariffs.    VIC is actually ahead of much of the world in implementing remote smart meters however its green benefits will only be realised with the implementation of TOU tariffs, but I think most governments lack the courage (and subsequent loss of office that may result) to implement them.

Edited to add the above is for VIC, I am not very aware of other states.

Edited by emmafg, 26 November 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#23 solongsuckers

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 25/11/2012, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peak is 2pm-8pm Mon-Friday
Shoulder is 7am - 2pm, 8pm - 10pm, Mon-Fri, and 7am-10pm on weekends.
Off peak is 10pm-7am 7 days a week

Shoulder pricing isn't too bad, I do try and avoid running things during the peak period.
I tend to things like the laundry in the morning (so shoulder time), which fits in with my general time schedules anyway. I'll often load up the first load, set it run early in the morning around 6am. Makes it easier for me to get a couple of loads done anyway.
The dishwasher gets run after 10pm

Check out your pricing for the different periods, and the exact time frames for the different price categories.  Nothing saying you can't do your laundry at any time of the day, just a matter of how much it will cost you in electricity.

These times aren't the same everywhere. We had Peak 7am-11pm Monday -Friday. Offpeak 11pm-7am MOnday-Thursday and then 11pm Friday until 7am MOnday.

#24 JRA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 25/11/2012, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My new house that I am renovating has the new smart meters installed by that previous owners.

I was told (by the electricity supplier) that my house work would have to be done after 10.30pm-  

So how do you work with your meters????

Me washing at 10.30pm will be impossible as each load generally take 50 mins and then beeps until it is turned off.

I dont want to be up at that hour turning things off and the laundry is less than 5 meters away from Jack's bedroom, so even with doors  closed chances are he will hear it.

Power companies do not control what you do. Did they really say that, and you believed them?

QUOTE (*~*Melinda*~* @ 25/11/2012, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they just mean that during the peak electricity time you will be paying 4 times the amount for power so you wont want to be running dishwashers, dries, washing machines and vacuums.

I do a load of washing the in shoulder period between 8 -10 pm then put it in the drier with a delay start to turn on at 10.30. then same with my dishwasher load it as normal but delay start to turn on at 10.30

I have a gas stove so my cooking doesnt need to change but when I want to use the oven for dinner i cook it in the daytime shoulder before 2pm.

We also have an energy reader so i can see how much we are using at any given time and also how much we use day/week/month/ quarter.

It all depends on your contract or tariff with YOUR electricity company. Each company may have different tariffs etc.

QUOTE (emmafg @ 26/11/2012, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think some are confusing Time of Use Tariffs and "Smart Meters".

Time of use tariffs have been around for a long time, even in Australia.  Traditionally you have needed separate meters to measure usage during the different day periods.  Many retailers don't offer these tariffs or in the main offer then to rural and business premises.  

Smart Meters on the other hand (in VIC) measure usage in 30 minute intervals in the single meter, and remotely transmit this data to your power company and to an domestic display.   They also have the capability to remotely regulate or cut your power usage ....the reason many other countries are putting these meters in, not for the green benefits.    

Note that the VIC government is not allowing any new TOU tariffs to be applied to customers with smart meters as many welfare groups have concerns that low income households will be disadvantaged, so even if you wanted one it is unlikely you could.

There are very few parts of the world (yes Japan, some parts of Europe, California) who have implemented remote smart meters at a large scale - very few (if any) have mandated TOU tariffs.    VIC is actually ahead of much of the world in implementing remote smart meters however its green benefits will only be realised with the implementation of TOU tariffs, but I think most governments lack the courage (and subsequent loss of office that may result) to implement them.

Edited to add the above is for VIC, I am not very aware of other states.

Exactly. Off peak power has existed forever. Well at least 50 years. The smart meters can make it more flexible, if the companies use it or are allowed use it.

#25 purpleblackqueen

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 25/11/2012, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is your washing machine a Simpson at all PBQ? Mine the beep thing can't be turned off it just beeps and beeps in intervals until you lift the lid.

On another note I had no idea about these smart meters charging different rates I didn't realise how can I figure out if I have been charged on the smart rates? (Our bills have increase heaps lately even though our consumption is less but we use it mostly at night)

Yes my machine is a simpson.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.