Just had one of those awful mother accidents

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Queen

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

cry1.gif
I just had one of those awful mother accidents when you just do something so awful and wonder if your poor bub is going to be okay.  I went for a walk (a fast exercise walk) with DS, 11mo, in the big pram.  It is a 4 wheeler with small front wheels and big back ones.  The front wheels very easily get caught on pavement uneveness etc so I have often nearly tripped it but never completely.  For the record it is a STUPID pram which I always regretted buying but I dont use it that much as I usually use my stroller.

Anyway I think you know what is coming.  Cue me walking fast across a pedestrian crossing, get to the part where you walk up onto the footpath.  There is a join, the wheels get caught, I am going to fast to stop, over goes the pram then to make it worse I totally lose balance and fall full weight on top of the back of the pram.  DS is squashed underneath it all but thankfully starts screaming pretty much straight away.  I got it up, and him out, big red marks already starting......him screaming.  The handle which should have given him some protection broke under my weight too.

We are home now and he seems ok. I rang a dr friend and got the signs to look out for and described it all.  He wasnt overly concerned but gave me all the instructions anyway.  DS has a huge red mark all across the front of his head which I think is more gravel rash than swelling/bruise.  

I feel terrible.  DH is going to have a fit at me when he gets home!  DS looks terrible.  Poor thing.  sad.gif

#2 Jjbeanz

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Awe big hugs but accidents happen so don't beat yourself up too much! Maybe toss the pram out though! Hope your son is ok

#3 Furfeathersfleece

That must have been so scary, but so easy to do. Hope you're both ok!

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Don't beat yourself up too much it was an accident. Hope you and your DS are okay.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

You poor thing sad.gif
I know exactly how you feel, I have been responsible for more than one of these 'accidents' for my children and the guilt is awful. I am sure your little one will be fine.

I think prams with small wheels in the front and large at the back should be off the market, even those that cost a squillion dollars, I can't believe they are still passed as being safe.

#6 deejie

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I'm sure your DH won't have a fit at you when he gets home. Surely he can understand that it was an accident.

hugs to you, OP. Most Mums at some point or another have accidentally injured our babies. Lucky they are robust little creatures! Don't beat yourself up.

#7 Kafkaesque

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

I didn't buckle my DD once she went head first out of the pram landing on her forehead while I kept walking over the top with the pram.

I felt awful but she was fine. It happens op.

#8 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

I know how you feel. We have had a couple of these accidents and we can laugh and joke about them now, at the time though I was mortified. I am sure he will be fine.

#9 jo-v

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

You poor thing, hope you're both ok.

I once dropped a book on DS's head when he was about 6 months. sad.gif I lay him next to the bookshelf while I was looking for something and stupidly pulled a book out from under another one and it toppled off the shelf (my head height) and hit him smack in the face.  cry1.gif he had a cut over his eye where the cover caught him but thankfully was ok apart from that.

#10 Ice Queen

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thanks everyone.  Their heads do seem to be designed for twitty mothers and all the crazy stuff they get up to.

I kept thinking of that stupid story and photos of Peaches Geldof when she dropped her baby out of the pram and the paparazzi getting photos.  Phew lucky I am not a celebrity (and sadly my legs arent as good as hers were)....I would have got a flaming from the press. biggrin.gif

#11 Jenferal

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

i got out of bed one morning and somehow managed to drop my baby on the floor. Still don't know how I did it. I was holding her with both arms. Really scary moment sad.gif
She's also managed to push her booster chair (the one that ties onto a normal dining chair) over backwards and cut her head open. On Christmas day no less . Fun 5 hours in the ED, NOT! but she did score a great toy keyboard!

#12 Ridcully

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

If my DH had a 'fit' over a genuine accident and made me feel worse I would be livid.

I'm sure your son will be ok, it's scary when something like that happens.

#13 protart roflcoptor

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Very scary! I hope you are seriously thinking about retiring/trashing that pram!

Or walking veeerrry sloooowly when you use it.

#14 pinkcupcakes

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

we have a stupid pram like that, only the wheels are all smaller. the rest of the pram is great, i just want the big wheels that drive over everything! cry1.gif but i have nearly done that myself op. and my dh would be cranky at me as well. get naked. they cant stay mad at you when you get naked.( i am a good example of this, because i look disgusting when naked, and hubby has been absolutely ropable at me in the past... completely unjustified, of course... and it still works!)
my stupidest mother moment ( and it was stupid) was leaving dd on the changetable "just for a second" while i grabbed a singlet or something, about a metre away. off she went, onto floating floors.poor little thing.i felt sick to my stomach. but she was fine, thank goodness, wasnt even slightly concussed!im such an idiot though. welcome to humanhood, ehill. hugs for u n bubba. hhugs.gif

#15 ~She~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Don't beat yourself up OP - I think most people have a story similar to tell, mine was baby rolling off the bed (luckily a low one!) As long as you are both okay original.gif

#16 coolbreeze

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

The exact same thing happened to me when ds was about 12months old. DS was ok but a big bump on his head and a hysterical mum (me)
It was a bugaboo and have hated them with a passion ever since. I reverted to the ancient mountain buggy with large fixed wheels and felt so much more confident.
Mind you ds will be 5 in just a few weeks, so my pram days are nearly over.
CB

#17 idignantlyright

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

As long as he was strapped in, don't beat yourself up about it. As others have said, accidents happen.

#18 BetteBoop

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Some prams are utterly useless, particularly those huge 3 wheelers. I had one that was constantly tipping over when the ground wasn't level.

I wonder how they pass safesty standards.

OP, write this pram off. Use something else. It's not worth the risk.

Glad you're both okay.

#19 DreamFeralisations

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

You poor thing!  I let mine fall from the top of a slippery slide - ran the block and a half home (and I am NOT a runner) with her in my arms, called the doctor who said "did she scream?" - when I said yes she said "that is a good sign, give her panadol and keep an eye and if you are still worried in an hour, bring her in"...

QUOTE (pinkcupcakes @ 25/11/2012, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...get naked. they cant stay mad at you when you get naked.( i am a good example of this, because i look disgusting when naked, and hubby has been absolutely ropable at me in the past... completely unjustified, of course... and it still works!)

Love it - this advice should be stickied!!

#20 babatjie

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 25/11/2012, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think prams with small wheels in the front and large at the back should be off the market, even those that cost a squillion dollars, I can't believe they are still passed as being safe.

I completely agree. Yours isn't a Bugaboo Bee+? We had a Bugaboo Bee+. A very similar thing happened and my 6 month old daughter fell onto her face, pram on top of her as we crossed the road. Fortunately it was a quite street, she was ok, I was just really shaken. I got home and googled how on earth that happened if you're just pushing a pram along. Turns out it was recalled for safety concerns and serious risk to the occupant. I took it back to the shop where we purchased it, we bought it while it was recalled, they claim they were unaware, although they are responsible to ensure they sell safe baby equipment. They wanted us to send it in for repairs, but no way will I ever put my child in that pram again. What if that was a main road or to awful to think of the what ifs? We now have a very safe Mountain Buggy with large air filled tyres. It was half the price and a dream to use.

#21 Ice Queen

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (babatjie @ 25/11/2012, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I completely agree. Yours isn't a Bugaboo Bee+? We had a Bugaboo Bee+. A very similar thing happened and my 6 month old daughter fell onto her face, pram on top of her as we crossed the road. Fortunately it was a quite street, she was ok, I was just really shaken.

No, its a Bebe something a rather.  I dont think they are sold anymore as I have never seen them again.  They are a similar setup to the Bugaboo normal pram and I only got it as a 3 wheeler wouldnt fit in my car.  I have a bigger car now so I might invest in something more solid.  Yes, your description of what happened sounds the same as me but I was heading up to the footpath so safe from cars.  It is a bit annoying as we aren't having anymore kids so I thought my days of buying prams and babygoods was well over.  Might have to hunt on gumtree or something.

The PP who said about getting naked  laugh.gif .  Too funny.  DS was asleep by the time DH got home so I could explain the accident and warn him about the state of his face before he saw him so he was fine although a bit concerned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.