Second income not a good earner

• Please log in to reply
753 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

WOMEN are being discouraged from returning to work after having children because tax, childcare costs and lost government benefits leave some clearing as little as 20¢ from every dollar they earn.

Read more: [url="http://www.essential...a58i.html[/url]

I didn't realise that there is so little financial reward for second income earners to work in two-parent families with children.

#2 ednaboo

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

I recall a similar article from the Herald-Sun about 10 years ago and sadly nothing much has changed.

#3 IsolaBella

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

For us (and we don't get anything from the govt) for me to return to work (also adding transport costs) I would clear all of $20 for a weeks work.

Not worth it for us.

#4 CupOfCoffee

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

This is true in our case (but the lower income earner is my husband).  The reason he does work (even though we are not really better off financially (with day care etc) is because for a male it is harder to re-enter the workforce after a break and I have a personal objection to being supported when we can support ourselves.

But sometimes it is tempting to have one parent at home.

#5 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm going back next feb three days a week....for various reasons we are going down the nanny path, cash in hand so won't get anything back from the govt...I will net $58 a day.....not really worth it but I figure he won't be in expensive care like that forever, I am keeping my skills up, getting super paid.....racking up"time served" to hopefully get long service łeave at some point ....meh, ask me next march if I think it's worth it!

#6 casime

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

I hate stories like this.   For one thing, it assumes that all the costs of childcare come out of the woman's pay.   Where are the fathers in this?   A dual income should be looked at on a per family basis, not just on one person's wage.  Secondly, it ignores the benefits of women remaining in work.  Children are only in child care for a short period of time, so the expenditure is finite, but has benefits such as retaining employability and building superannuation.  Quite frankly, I think this sort of thing is an excuse that some women use to avoid having to go back to work (flame suit firmly on).

#7 BornToLove

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

Our situation is similar to the high income couple with on child in the article (though we make slightly less than they do). I would agree that after childcare I bring home about 60% of my net pay. For us, it makes sense that I work.

But for me personally, working is not about money. I am not SAHM material and find I need the balance and stimulation that going to work provides me. Working makes *me* a better mother. So as long as my wage covers child care fees, I will continue to work without guilt.

#8 Fr0g

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

Secondly, it ignores the benefits of women remaining in work. Children are only in child care for a short period of time, so the expenditure is finite, but has benefits such as retaining employability and building superannuation. Quite frankly, I think this sort of thing is an excuse that some women use to avoid having to go back to work (flame suit firmly on).

I somewhat agree.  I worked for many reasons, few of them financial.  

Now that I have school age children and don't pay child care costs anyway, I really value the way my resume looks with my employment history, the skills I gained in that working period and the contacts I made (invaluable).

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Casime yes you could try and divide costs across both incomes. We were looking at what me working would add to the household bottom line. Then offsetting that against the disruption to the household etc.

As DH working is not the change we were looking at the impact on my income only.

#10 MrsLexiK

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (casime @ 25/11/2012, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate stories like this.   For one thing, it assumes that all the costs of childcare come out of the woman's pay.   Where are the fathers in this?   A dual income should be looked at on a per family basis, not just on one person's wage.  Secondly, it ignores the benefits of women remaining in work.  Children are only in child care for a short period of time, so the expenditure is finite, but has benefits such as retaining employability and building superannuation.  Quite frankly, I think this sort of thing is an excuse that some women use to avoid having to go back to work (flame suit firmly on).

I agree a little bit but if I am not working my DH's wage is already budgeted. If I return to work we need to weigh up the extra petrol I would, any tolls and child care.

#11 TheGreenSheep

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

The article highlights many of the reasons the last few years have been demoralizing for me at times. Working casually and earning almost nothing take home with 2 in daycare was a killer. Now the burden has reduced to one in school and one in care it's a blessed relief tbh.

At times when I was earning negatives paying for care on public holidays and not working it was tough. We would do the sums and DH would suggest to take the stress off of us then maybe I should quit.

At no time was I going to stop work. For me personally I knew that when the time came that they would both be at school I would still be n the workforce. That's the light at the end of the tunnel.

And like PP casime, it peeves me that Childcare costs are assumed to be absorbed by the woman's wage.

#12 SplashingRainbows

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 25/11/2012, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Casime yes you could try and divide costs across both incomes. We were looking at what me working would add to the household bottom line. Then offsetting that against the disruption to the household etc.

As DH working is not the change we were looking at the impact on my income only.

Exactly - incremental analysis. How much better off will the household be.

Sure, if you run separate finances both income earners should contribute to child care costs, but this is a separate issue to the increase in financial resources to the family by having both parents working.

#13 nup

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

this this this this this

As the article states, your brain doesn't fall out with the placenta ladies.

#14 IsolaBella

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Edited by lsolaBella, 25 November 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#15 SplashingRainbows

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 25/11/2012, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok brighton14 as a household with me returning to work the household would be better off $20 per week.

Sorry - perhaps what I wrote wasn't clear - I was agreeing with you on your method of analysis.

#16 jennywin

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

This argument/discussion again??!! Who cares, everyone does what is best for them and their family unit.

#17 jayskette

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

It's only not a good earner if money is all the family cares about.

#18 casime

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

Ok brighton14 as a household with me returning to work the household would be better off $20 per week.

But that's if you're looking at it purely from a "this week" perspective, and not a long term one.  How much will it end up costing you as a family if you are out of work for several years when you do decide to return to the workforce because you have a gap on your resume?  In some careers, there will be very expensive professional development and retraining courses required before you can resume your career.  Consider the loss of your superannuation now when you decide to retire (taking in to account loss of interest for all those years as well).  It's very short sighted to only look at the now and not at the future.

#19 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (casime @ 25/11/2012, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I somewhat  agree with this but there are always exceptions. I am currently a SAHM and forsee myself in this role for the next two to four years. My skills are in a very horizontal industry. That is, the pay scale does not increase dramatically the more experience yoy have. I left earning the max $60k or so a year. It is a high-demand industry and has always been extremely easy industry to exit and re-enter so in my case, I will not be losing any career position by taking a few years out. Also, it is not an industry where you cannot do part-time work or job share. That would be impossible, simply by the nature of the work so there is no hapy medium for me to ease myself back in.

As far as super goes, DH (small business owner) and I have a system of trusts set up. We are actually contributing more into my personal super each year I am a SAHM than what I was putting in as a PAYE employee. So in our case, I had no industry position I needed to maintain, the pay was not of a level where it would be worth my while to re-enter, part time work was not an option and my super is still increasing. I also own a rental property outright in my own name so numerous repair work aside, I always have a small income stream in my own name, even being a SAHM.

Our situation is unique but there would be a lot of SAHMs who would have their own unique situation as well. Each to their own, and all that.

Edited by AllegraM, 25 November 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#20 brazen

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

when i first returned to work after having rora i brought home about $100 per week or fortnight (forget which) but it was the final $100 needed to pay our mortgage...

#21 Natttmumm

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

45 percent of my wage goes to daycare, parking etc. lucky it's a good wage or I'd stay home

#22 IsolaBella

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

I am also in the situation that my experience is enough to walk back in. I got to the top of my game before kids (would not want to do higher level dye to hours/ stress involved).

DH puts extra into super so we are happy.

If something happened to DH I would be able to walk back into a job without much fuss.

Other barriers to returning to work are that CC hours are not long enough - nor after school care. Unfortunately not all roles require you only 9-5

Edited by lsolaBella, 25 November 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#23 RealityBites

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Completely agree, this is how we have always arranged things, but I suspect this only applies to women with careers rather than jobs *borrows the flame suit*

#24 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (jennywin @ 25/11/2012, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This argument/discussion again??!! Who cares, everyone does what is best for them and their family unit.

I don't intend to start an argument, it is just relevant information for families with young children.

#25 SpunkyMonkey88

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (casime @ 25/11/2012, 06:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree, My husband works FIFO, and I choose to work. If I did not work I would not have to pay childcare, I do and hence in my mind childcare directly relates to the amount I earn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.