Picking up strangers...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Filulah

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

So last night, I was doing a Maccas dessert run through the drive through (around 10pm), and just as I'd finished ordering, a young guy (probably around 20ish), quite intoxicated I think, ran up and shouted "I'll give you $10 if you drive me to [insert nearby suburb]!"

Surprised, a bit shaken, and instantly having thoughts of ending up dead in a ditch, I declined and quickly drove through to the next window...
Now, in all good sense, he was probably just a young guy who had a few drinks and wanted to get home, and possibly the $10 wouldn't have been enough for a taxi (??) and I woke up this morning thinking to myself how terrible it would be if something had happened to him, when I could have quite easily taken him home (although our sundaes would have melted).

To be honest, while it was a completely different situation, one of my first thoughts were of Jill Meagher, and how easily a situation can turn bad. My logic says I did the right thing, and one should not drive strange men around, even for $10. I just think about my sons being grown up one day, stuck somewhere with not enough cash for a taxi, and hoping someone helps them.

Of course, I also hope they don't randomly run up to strangers in the maccas drive through to get help.

Would you give a stranger a ride home? Or am I possibly a little paranoid and untrusting in my old age?

Edited by Filulah, 25 November 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#2 miinii

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Absolutely not! Never! If they decided to go out and drink the it is their responsibility to make sure they can get home safely.
I would never put my children's mother in a position that could potentially end very badly

#3 mum201

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

No no no no no
Thinking about my son, I would like to think he would have the sense to call me if stranded

#4 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

No. I have little sympathy for drunk people and it's simply not worth the personal risk.

#5 Just Another Cat

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

You did the right thing, there is no way of you knowing if it would have been safe or not.
Had it been a woman, I think I would still feel the same.

In regards to my own children, I will make sure they pre plan how they will get home. Also make sure they know it's always ok to call me for a lift.

Edited by GrumpyTurtle, 25 November 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#6 froggy1

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

Not a drunk person no. But I have picked up strangers before. I've given a lift to a lady who frantically flagged me down at a bus stop - she'd missed the bus and was going to be late for work - it was only 5 mins away. I've also picked up a hitch-hiker before.
I hitch-hiked when I was young - so if I think they look reasonable, I take a chance. Sometimes people genuinely need help.

#7 Feral_Pooks

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

No.

With first aid training, the first thing they tell you is NOT to help someone if it puts you at an unreasonable risk.

The same thing goes for helping others more generally.

Generally in this kind of situation, I try to identify another source of support for the person involved which is not risky for me. For instance, I might suggest calling a taxi, or asking them if there is someone I can call for them to come and pick them up.

But there is nothing wrong with feeling a bit surprised by the approach of a drunk stranger, and politely declining the request.

#8 Coffeegirl

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

In that situation?  No.   But I have offered, and given lifts to elderly ladies waiting at our old bus stop.   The bus was never on time and if it was raining or really hot, I'd pull over and ask if I saw them there.

I'd have offered it to elderly men, too but never seemed to see any at that stop.

#9 hunter4

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Nope would never pick them up.  If I thought that they were truely in need I would offer them a bit of money for a Taxi but I wouldn't pick them up myself.

#10 leisamd

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

No I wouldn't.  My DH might though, if he assessed the situation as safe for him, he has before.  
If I feel I can't adequately protect myself should it go bad, then no.  I have given strange (as in stranger - not 'strange' laughing2.gif ) little old ladies lifts home because they missed the bus.  I felt safe.

#11 Green Door

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

When I was about 18 I was very drunk and had just had a fight with my boyfriend , he kicked me out of the car and I had nothing ( he had my phone and handbag) I was lucky to have a nice taxi driver pick me up and drive me home. I always think about that night it was scary being stranged with nothing.

I maybe would  asked if he was ok, and given him some taxi money. (but I am a sucker)

#12 BearBait

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

With his $10 he can call a friend to pick him up. You did the right thing.

#13 Sail to the Moon

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

You did the right thing...

If somebody was distressed with no way of getting home and you were in a public and safe area, if you wanted to help them you could offer to phone somebody they know to pick them up (if they don't have a mobile), but you should never let a stranger into your car.

Or if you are worried about their welfare you could call your local police station and let them know, then they can decide whether to go there to help the person.

#14 Copacetic

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

The drunk do very stupid things.

I remember being 17, and had been stranded on the side of a busy road by one of my friends, who was in the house we were outside of doing nasty things with her BF. So here I am, standing there, drunk, with his mates (that I don't know). I have cigarettes but no lighter so I was trying to flag down cars to get one. Stupid, stupid stupid.

I didn't think it at the time, but I was INCREDIBLY lucky when the one that pulled over and said "GET IN THE CAR" was my father on his way home from shift work. Incredibly lucky. Grounded, but lucky.

#15 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

Probably not in the situation you described. I have picked up intoxicated young women walking home alone along the highway at night. I have also given a young man a lift in daytime to the nearest town who was stuck beside a broken down car towing a boat with 3 young boys and their Dad. He was their uncle. It could have been an elaborate hoax but that seemed highly unlikely. I have also  picked up backpackers on long road trips but always when I have had a friend or my husband with me.

I totally understand when people have a blanket no-lifts rule but I am a bit flexible.

#16 SophieBear

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

No i wouldn't. I'm too much too paranoid.

My grandparents however will pick up strangers. There was a shady man they picked up one time, he was dirty and greasy and trying to hitchhike. He asked to be taken to the service station on a 42 degree day, get petrol and then back to him car where his kids and partner were waiting. I always think of that and how I wouldn't have trusted him and he just needed to get back to his family.

Drunk guy in his 20's and me on my own. Nope I wouldn't. If I was in the restaurant and came up to me, I'd probably call a taxi for him.

Edited for clarification.

Edited by SophieBeagle, 25 November 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#17 unicorn

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

I tend not to pick up hitch hikers, but I did pick up a guy a few months back, I initially thought it was an older lady and it was only at the last inute I pulled over, he had a sign for the same town I was going to 3 hours up the road. We talked the whole way, it was a very interesting trip and it turns out he knew people I knew and our paths had crossed before.

#18 9ferals

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I would not have given him a lift.
The only time I can remember giving a lift is just recently when DH and I were both in the car and we saw a 20ish girl struggling along on crutches on a hot day. We stopped to ask if she needed a lift and drove her a few km to the shopping centre.

#19 epl0822

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

It's not your responsibility to look after people who drink without arranging how they will get home.

If somebody looks like they are genuinely stuck I would rather give them money for a taxi but I would never give them a lift. I always think back to someone I know who was murdered after hitching a ride....so I never, ever want to get in a car with a stranger.

#20 Stellajoy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

I live in an area where hitch hiking is the norm so I probably would.

Me and three friends once went to a wedding and got fairly drunk, went to leave the reception and there was no cars taxis or friends to drive us home.

We were outside the closed venue, heels off in hand, starting to walk home. A car pulled up and offered us a lift. It was a 17yr old P plater! He drove us home, walked us to the door, and sat in his car till we were inside.

I guess it all depends on where you live.

#21 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

I don't pick up strangers as don't have a car and don't drive much.

My DH on the other hand always seems to get approached to give people lifts.

The most recent one DH had just gotten fuel from our local shops and was heading to pick up our DS from his then carer. A lady at a bus stop flagged him down and was waving her mobile phone at him. She begged him for a lift to the train station (opposite direction) because her daughter was being beaten up (DH said he could hear a commotion on the phone), DH dropped her off.

Another time before DH and I lived together a girl in the flats across the road asked him for a lift to college.

Another time DH and I had stopped off at a petrol station on the way home from a gig and I went in to pay. When I came back there was a strange man sitting in the car. I was a bit "wtf" but the man had asked DH for a lift home after filling his Jerry can up.

I have endless stories of DH driving people home, so far he hasn't run into any psychos.

#22 Three Of Hearts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

A friend and I gave a young drunk guy a lift home once, but only because he was in the middle of the road trying to stop the traffic for a lift!  We were worried he was going to get himself killed.

I wouldn't do it these days, and I certainly wouldn't do it on my own.

#23 ChunkyChook

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Yeah I probably would have depending on the guy. Judgemental I know, but if he didn't look scary I'd tell him to jump in.

I think it depends where you live too. Melbourne and Geelong I probably wouldn't. Ballarat, Bendigo I probably would. Castlemaine, Daylesford, Rochester, Maryborough I'd do it in the blink of an eye.

#24 Funwith3

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

If I was alone, I definitely wouldn't. If I had my husband or a friend with me, I might.

#25 Guest_- Poppy -_*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

No way, picking up strangers especially drunk strangers is a really bad idea.

I used to do it when I was younger and now I shudder to think what could of happened to me! What was I thinking?!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.