3rd labour
Did it differ greatly from your previous two?

25 replies to this topic

#1 elle-M

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

I have a hx of precipitous labours (3 hours and then 1 hour 20 mins) and I made a comment after DD was born to the midwife about the next one being 'ridiculously quick'. She said with a smile something along the lines of 'third labours are often unpredictable and can be longer'.

Any midwives out there that can comment on this, based on your experience or any medical reason why this may be?

And for everyone else, was your third labour shorter than your previous two?

#2 Oriental lily

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

My second and third labour were nearly Identical.
Second
Induced in the morning by breaking waters, drip in. Dilated fairly quickly using gas as pain relief. Pushed her out in a couple of minutes lying on my side with leg in air.

No tears or damage.
By lunch  it was all over.

Third labour.

Induced in the morning by breaking waters. I begged to stay of the drip. Luckily went in to active labour very quickly so no drip needed.
Pain controlled with gas. Dilated quickly and gave birth lying on side with leg in air ( nearly hanging of the bed this time lol)
Pushed her out within a couple of minutes.
No tears or damage.

Once again it was all over by lunch.

Both 'pleasant', quick, manageable labours.

My first labour was the epic one, with a ridiculous amount of intervention due the complications of pre eclampsia.

#3 bees-knees

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

All three of mine were pretty much the same:
Number one:
Started spontaneously with waters breaking
39 weeks
About 14 hours from waters breaking to delivery
Vaginal delivery with a bit of a tear.

Number two:
Started spontaneously with contractions
40+2
About 12 hours from contractions getting serious to delivery
Vaginal delivery with a bit of a tear

Number three:
Started spontaneously with contractions
39+6
About 7 hours from contractions getting serious to delivery
Vaginal delivery with a bit of a tear

All pretty textbook and boring really (except for number three arriving with a bonus chromosome; that was a bit unexpected!)

Edited by bees-knees, 24 November 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#4 greatwon2

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

number 1 - waters broke after a few hours worth of contractions at home  4 hour labour from the time we rocked upto the hospital, pethadine, normal vaginal delivery, slight tear

number 2 - was about 2 and a half hours once we got to the hospital waters broken by the midwives normal vaginal delivery, gas only despite begging lol was too late for anything else

number 3 - was so far the worst labour I've had , had contractions on top of each other than a contraction that just didn't end , midwives broke my waters telling me it would stop the contraction and get things going right , in the end he came out sideways , i think in hindsight the big contraction may of been trying to turn him so probably should of left things alone lol vaginal delivery ..all up i think it was about 6 hours or so but would of been born within about an hour of rocking up to the hospital if he wasn't being difficult in the pushing stage .. no drugs despite once again begging and they even had the injection in the room , i sadly watched them squirt it down the sink after he was out ...i still could of used it lol

number 4  - was my best labour even tho she was presenting chin first and had to be ventous rotated ... scared the crap out of the junior doctor lol he had them prepping me for a c section before the senior ob stepped in but while the rotation was very painful it was over super fast and i was home a few hours later with my beautiful daughter original.gif  for the life of me i can't remember how long it was but can't of been more than a few hours all up

I too have heard that 3rd labours are the wild card ...someone even said to me " have 2 or 4 but not 3" lol and in my case it seems to have been right but every persons different - just plan to be at the hospital in plenty of time just in case and you'll be right original.gif

#5 mummygirl

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Labour 1 - Induced, 22 hours from regular contractions, episiotomy
Labour 2 - Natural, 7 hours, tear
Labour 3 - Natural, 50 minutes, major tear requiring surgery.

#6 Wyn99

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Labour 1: waters broke, no contractions. Induced 24 hrs later. Epidural. Forceps, episiotomy. 33 hrs from waters breaking to delivery.

Labour 2: 8 hours from first pains to delivery - no tear, DD out in 2 pushes

Labour 3: 2 days of period-like pains. Sloooow contractions. Waters broke at 3am, DS born 2 hours later. Very very painful as it felt like the entire labour was condensed.

Midwife also told me 1 & 3 are difficult, 2 & 4 easier. I'm not having a 4th so no idea !

#7 mumandboys

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

my third labour was my longest:

1st - 3 hours
2nd - 1 hour
3rd - 6 hours
4th - 1 hour

#8 Linds

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

I was also told that the third labour could be a bit unpredictable. The main difference for me was that I experienced 24 hours of 'prelabour', or 'spurious' contractions before going into proper labour with no. 3.  That wasn't a lot of fun but once my waters broke and true labour began I had DS2 in 2 hours and it was the easiest and most stressfree labour I've had.

So yes, for me the third labour was quite different but definitely the best, despite the prelabour.

First was 6.5 hours, second was 4.5 hours, third was 2 hours. No pain relief except gas with no. 1. Textbook deliveries. I feel very lucky  smile1.gif

#9 princessanarchy

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

First and second? Including induced first? Easy peasy. Third, hard as. Despite being fully dilated upon arrival - twice (up until then chilled, I do labour okay, I thought). 4kg baby boy, low Apgar - first ever pain relief, NICU. And I thought it was an old wives' tale designed to scare 'breeders'. Sorry - it sucked. But you'll be okay and they'll be gorgeous (he was most defintely the cutest of the newborns...maybe the morph?). Smiles, best of luck and remember - your body, your birth!

#10 seepi

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

I 'm like you - 4 hours, then 1 hour.

Third was still quick, but took a while to get going - irregular contractions, hours of nothing then a few more.

It was 45 minutes in the end, and contractions never became regular at all - they were regular or increasing in the other two from hours before when they were only like period pain.

with the third they were never regular at all - I have then written down somewhere - it is like 7 mins, 1 min, 2 mins 6 mins, 9 mins....forgot to write the last few - born.

#11 girltribe4

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

My 2nd & 3rd labour were pretty much identical , both around 12hrs. My 4th labour was the one that took us by surprise as it was only 4 hrs !!

#12 mumz3

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

1st was 3 hours
2nd was 30mins
3rd waters broke 24 hours before being induced due to no contractions, labour lasted 2.5 hours
4th emergency c-section @26 weeks

#13 ReadySetRace

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

1st = 8.5 hours
2nd = 3.5 hours
3rd = 24 hours pre-labour (never had before), then ARM at 5cm, 40 minutes until DD3 arrived. Erratic!!

Good luck!

#14 B.M.C.M.I.E

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

When I was having my third the midwife told me that #3 was often unpredictable.

#1 - Waters broke - baby 17.5 hours later.
#2 - Waters broke - baby 6.5 hours later.
#3 - Waters broke - baby 7.5 hours later (active labour was 4 hours on the dot).

#15 Natttmumm

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

I'm pregnant with number 3 too and also heard that. I asked the doc and midwife and they both said often the 3 rd starts with on and off pains a few days before and then bub suddenly arrives quickly.
That would be a change for me with both previous births being induced and went on for days.
Just hoping I'm not home alone with the 2 kids that's my fear

#16 VJs Mummy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

For me
Was induced 1st labour - 2hrs 41 mins 3 weeks early

2nd labour -10 mins 8 days late

3rd labour - 5 hours due to my daughter being sideways (  hheart.gif ) my angel in heaven 20 weeks

4th labour -10mins 1 month  early

Hoping to make it to the hospital with this one lol

#17 Water lily

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

As a midwife I can say yes, often the third baby can be a bit of a wild card, I've seen women have really long pre-labours, or really long active labours, when their first 2 labours were quick. Pre-labour can start stop over a number of days, and I see more women with their 3rd baby being induced for postdates at 41-42 weeks, when their first 2 babies were spontaneous labours no induction.

We have no idea what the research/rationale behind this is!!

At the same time, I certainly have looked after women having their 3rd whose labour just followed suit with the previous two, quick/precipitous, uncomplicated.

Good luck, hope this one doesn't muck you around!

#18 R2B2

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:21 AM

I was watching this thread with a lot of interest the other day, so thought i'd come in and share my experience wink.gif

My first was an induction - 12 hours of "active" labour

Second was 5 hours of active labour (spontaneous)

and my third born yesterday was another induction - 2 hours from the drip going in to holding babe in arms biggrin.gif

#19 livvie7586

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (R2B2 @ 27/11/2012, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was watching this thread with a lot of interest the other day, so thought i'd come in and share my experience wink.gif

My first was an induction - 12 hours of "active" labour

Second was 5 hours of active labour (spontaneous)

and my third born yesterday was another induction - 2 hours from the drip going in to holding babe in arms biggrin.gif

Congrats!!!!

#20 R2B2

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

thanks Livvie biggrin.gif

#21 lozoodle

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

I'm not liking these stories about third labour being more difficult oomg.gif

I think I might go into my happy place of denial for the next 13 weeks biggrin.gif

#22 leisamd

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

My midwife with my 3rd told me they 'never trust a multi(-gravida)' - yep 3rd labours are unpredictable.

My 3rd was by far my easiest, quickest & most textbook birth.

#23 elle-M

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies, quite a mix it seems. Think I will go to my happy place and assume this baby will fall out like my other two did  biggrin.gif  Positive thinking right?!!

#24 nadi~bicardi

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

1st - 14 hours at 40+5

2nd - 5.5 hours at 41

3rd - 4 hours (sort of) at 39+6.  Nobody, including the midwife, thought he would arrive for days yet, so when I started getting contractions they were all over the place in terms of time and duration so I wasn't sure whether I was in labour or if it was BH.  I thought if I got up they might go away, but they didn't.  Then they suddenly got very strong very quickly and I felt the need to push.  I lay down on the bed (my mistake), and then couldn't get up again.  Once I felt the need to push DS2 was born after 25 minutes, delivered by the ambos.

#25 Kaonashi

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Third was my quickest, best, most text book labour. I only wish all were that good.

Two of my midwives would debate whether the 3rd or 4th was the different one original.gif

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.