What do you think this puppy is?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

A short time ago my parents adopted a purebred cocker spaniel lady who had puppies a couple of weeks later - apparently the previous owners had no idea she was pregnant and the only male they remember her being around was the next door neighbours cocker spaniel, but nobody knows for sure.

We will be giving one of the puppies a home - we had planned on getting a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel soon anyway as we always planned to after renovating and have decided that one of these would be great, their Mum is a beautiful, placid girl.

The puppies are now 3 weeks old, and we have chosen our beautiful girl but there has been a lot of speculation about what sort of breed they may be crossed with, so dog gurus of eb - what do you think?

Below are some pics of our gorgeous new family member taken today at 3 weeks old original.gif

Edited by ~She~, 24 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#2 nothing123

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Many purebred dogs are hard to distinguish at 3 weeks old - let alone a cross bred pup!  Their ears are undeveloped, their noses short (for feeding) and their coat immature so they don't really show breed features.

Post again at 8 weeks and if any breeds are showing through it will be more apparent.

#3 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yes they are changing weekly - and I need to correct myself they are 4 weeks old.

Thanks for the response I will repost in a few weeks original.gif

Removing picture now as it is too large also...

#4 Oriental lily

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Agree.

Way to young.

#5 PatG

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Freakypet @ 24/11/2012, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aaawww sad.gif  I missed pictures of little furry squishies??? cry1.gif

Yup, it was pretty cute!!  Here is (a totally not related to this thread) photo to help those who missed out.

Edit to remove cute photo of random internet puppy as the real one has returned!

Edited by PatG, 24 November 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#6 my2earthangels

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

To me it looks like a labrador x

#7 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Sorry ladies - will repost, hopefully resizing worked. PatG that puppy looks a lot like them original.gif

#8 dakotaskys

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif Awwww their both so beautiful! wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif Now I want a puppy lol grin.gif

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Plenty of spaniel in that cute squishy face.

Wait till it gets a bit older, and you'll get a better idea of whether there is anything else in the mix.

#10 Red Cabbage

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Aww thats so cute!

#11 casime

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Lab X.  Those ears are too small for spaniel.   They're spot on for a lab.  Head shape is definitely lab.

#12 Scruffy Wuffy

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Awwww,puppy breath! Bit too young to possibly work out what it is breed wise. But a guess from me it looks like some Labby in there. But yea,like Spikey says post another puppy pic when they about 8wks,should get a better idea then. I have 4 pups I have been handraising since 10 days old and they are 6wks old next week & the change I have seen in them from then til now has been amazing!

#13 casime

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I will also add OP that b**ches can have litters sired by more than one dog.  So if there is variation between the pups it can mean that there is more than one sire.

#14 *Ker*

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yeah I would say Lab X too. I've had a lot of cocker fosters and they don't look anything like your pup.

#15 Oriental lily

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Here is a link to purebred 4 week old cockers.
http://www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/15275

Longer ears and already getting the droopy eye feature going.

so I guess one thing you can now be sure of is that they are not pure!

What do oodle x pups look like?

Maybe the previous owners wanted a quick buck around Christmas and spoodles are still the 'in' thing.

Might just be cynical though....

#16 nellieb

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm going to go against the grain and say that gorgeous puppy looks pretty gosh darn cockerish to me.

Not necessarily show dog cocker, but cocker nonetheless.

#17 noi'mnot

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

I think that this puppy is cute.

I have no idea what breed it is, but thanks for posting the picture of cutes! original.gif

#18 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Freakypet @ 24/11/2012, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laughing2.gif DH saw me "awww" ing over the puppies and yelled from the other room "NO MORE PETS!!"

roll2.gif

Haha busted! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (casime @ 24/11/2012, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will also add OP that b**ches can have litters sired by more than one dog.  So if there is variation between the pups it can mean that there is more than one sire.

I never knew that! Interesting! I will post a pic of the other pups in the litter.

Oriental Lily, thanks for that link, I agree those puppies look different, but gorgeous little things <3

Scruffy Wuffy, wow that must be a lot of work, good on you! What a wonderful bond you must have with them. I know they will change I 'm just getting impatient to know laugh.gif By the way - love your user name, my childood dog was called Scruffy and he was the best, I still miss him so much cry1.gif

Just for fun here's some pics of the rest of the litter, this is the odd one out:

Edited by ~She~, 24 November 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#19 Oriental lily

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

That almost looks a bit blue heeler like.
Or maybe the Merle is just coming from the cocker side of things.

What colour is the cocker?

#20 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

And one more of our beautiful girl wub.gif

#21 casime

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

What colour is mum?

#22 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Whoops this didn't work before - this is the other 2 of the litter original.gif

Mum is a pure black Cocker

#23 Erma Gerd

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I think I vote Lab too. The yellow colour (ee red) has to come from both sides, so the likeliest suburban dog would be Lab or Goldie... or perhaps border collie or kelpie? They both come in ee red (cream) varieties.

The ticking (rather than merle) I think is a dominant trait, so only needs to come from one side, and could come from the mother's Cocker side. Does she have freckles? Or it could come from border collie or cattle dog (but then a purebred cattle dog shouldn't carry ee red).

Not sure about the pattern white (white body)- in border collies it can crop up here and there, but usually one or both of the parents will have a bit of extra white, extending around over the knee or similar.

Pic of mum please?

ETA: in view of the Irish Spotting type patterns on the pups and the mum being fully black (with no white, I assume), I rescind my Lab vote, and now put my money on something predominantly border collie, or an Irish Spotted, probably ticked Cocker. Or a crossbreed.

Edited by mjk05, 24 November 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#24 nothing123

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (nellieb @ 24/11/2012, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to go against the grain and say that gorgeous puppy looks pretty gosh darn cockerish to me.

Not necessarily show dog cocker, but cocker nonetheless.

Well it's probably gonna, cause it's Mum is a Cocker.

OP you're definitely looking a more broad-skulled breed as the other half.  The other huge possibility is that the father was a mixed breed himself.  You don't get that cattle dog coat from a labrador!  Although I do agree that the pups look a bit retriever-like (golden or labrador).  But as others have mentioned, if the b**ch had access to one male dog, she probably had access to more than one.

4 week old goldie pups  http://magikgoldens.com/morganpups4wks.jpg

Edited by nothing123, 24 November 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#25 Oriental lily

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hmmm one of those other yellow ones has a blaze.
Do cockers have blazes?

Perhaps dad is a border collie cross lab?

I had this mix growing up and he had the blue Merle on ha nose in  a pattern of a blaze and merle on hs legs and had medium length floppy ears.

I could imagines hm father pups with a cocker and looking like that.

Edited by Oriental lily, 24 November 2012 - 07:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Coping with a bolter

My 15-month-old has suddenly added a burst of real speed to her toddle. She should be classed a flight risk.

Single, 51 and pregnant

Tracey Kahn didn't realise she wanted to become a mother until she was well into her 40s. Now 51, she is pregnant with her second child.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

The 'no children' wedding invite

"It's her wedding, so the day is all about her, not your baby." How major fall-out can occur over a simple wedding invitation.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.