Selling 'groceries only' gift cards

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Montro

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I was at Woolworths yesterday and a guy approached me and asked if I was doing a $50 shop.  I told him no, as I was only getting about $20 worth of goods.  He then told me that he had a $50 Woolworths card that he purchased a couple of days ago, but that morning his electricty had been cut off due to non-payment of account.  He told me he had an 18 month old baby at home and he was unable to heat up the little one's bottles due to no electricty.  Would I give him $50 for the card?

I thought of the baby and went to the service counter, where the card was duly swiped and the operator confirmed that there was indeed $50 on it.  So I gave the guy a $50 note and he gave me the card.  Thanked me profusely and told me how kind I was.  He then told me I could buy cigarettes on the card, and I told him I didn't smoke.

I got home and entered the card details on the relevant website, which gave me an expiry date and I then read that the card is a 'groceries only' card and is not to be used for the purchase of tobacco products or alcohol.  The card was issued by a charity.

I'm hoping the guy did indeed take my $50 to have the power reconnected.

Would you purchase such a card from someone, or would you refuse?

#2 kristylee21

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

I prob would of done the same as you, check at the service counter that it had the right amount of money of it and purchased it....
But maybe im gulible in believeing stories.... anyway you still have $50 to spend on groceries

#3 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Generally those cards are given out by charity organisations for people who can't afford groceries. The same charities can also help those people with payment of bills.

Chances are he is going to be spending the money on alcohol/drugs/cigarettes.

#4 wilding

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (Nanaimo Girl @ 24/11/2012, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Generally those cards are given out by charity organisations for people who can't afford groceries. The same charities can also help those people with payment of bills.

yyes.gif

#5 Bomber girl

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

The coles ones actually say on them ' not to be used or tobacco or liquor'

No I would not buy one off someone. The amount of times I have had people put food back so they can afford cigarettes..... Fine if you are on your own but most of them have children with them

#6 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

I wouldn't have, same reason as PPs - the chance the money won't be spent as intended.

Sadly, some people (who no doubt ruin it for others) will say anything to get finds for their next hit. If funds were indeed that tight it sure isn't going to be long before there is no money to buy milk to put in the baby's bottle.

#7 Holidayromp

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Nanaimo Girl @ 24/11/2012, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also if he is getting help with his electricity bills chances are he is on a hardship programme which will ensure the continious connection of his electricity.

Chances are noone is going to see that money only himself.

I would never pay anyone money to take a card off them because they may not want the card but the kids and partner may want the food that it could buy.

#8 Feral_Pooks

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

You'll never know. It's well and good to say charities can help with power bills too. But they can't always. I've had charities say to me "look, we can give you some grocery money, then you can use your money for the power bill instead of the groceries" which was fine, except I could live on like $20 a week for groceries but I needed more for the bill. Having said that, it would be weird for his power to be cut, usually they will arrange a payment plan or extension for you so you can keep power.

#9 bek_p

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Not sure what I'd do but we wince got one as a thank you for filling out a survey so it's not just charities

#10 katbalou

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

I would be very dubious about the story, and probably wouldn't have time to check out whether the card was legit.  Besides, $50 isn't going to pay the electricity bill.  The same charity that gave him the grocery card would have been the best bet to go to for help with his electricity account.  Sounds dodgy.

#11 Greatmum

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

No way would I buy one off someone.  He was given one for groceries only for a reason.  He is off to buy his drugs now.

#12 Oriental lily

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

The story sounds lke a crock.

I would not have bought it of him.

My mum in the past have been given those charity cards.

They just don't hand them out willy nilly.

They need to come to your home and interview you. A charity is not silly enough to give you a voucher while your currently sitting in the dark and not even able to heat up a babies bottle.

They would do te best to keep your electricity on or at east direct you to a shelter of some sort.

#13 `Comic Sans`

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Edited by *magenta*, 02 January 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#14 ms flib

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

scammer!

He had the baby there because people are always kind when there's a baby involved.

#15 Feral_Pooks

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I think it's always better to err on the side of being kind, OP, so please don't be upset or stop being so kind to people.

#16 aidensmum

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I wouldn't have bought it.  It would have been issued by a welfare agency and by buying its encouraging people to approach them for gift cards so they can flog them down the shops for cash.  I'm sure the welfare agencies don't have enough to assist all the genuinely needy people that are referred to them, so they don't need dropkicks scamming them.

#17 emnut

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

I would refuse - we often have these cards that we give to clients and they are grocery only for a good reason (also it does state on the actual card that you cannot use it for alcohol/tobacco usually so check for that - this is at least the case for the woolworths ones we distribute)

ETA for those saying that those charities who provide the cards often provide assistance with utility payments - actually usually they don't & can't - instead will refer you to a financial counsellor who arranges for you to be placed on the company's hardship programs & then it is still up to the consumer to meet the payment arrangements that are agreed on.  Disconnection is not done as quickly but you can & will still be disconnected for non-payment

Edited by emnut, 24 November 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#18 Feral_Mumma

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Generally those cards are given out by charity organisations for people  who can't afford groceries. The same charities can also help those  people with payment of bills.

This!

When I was a single parent in rougher times I got one for them from anglicare over christmas, I went and spent it on groceries, it didn't even occur to me to try that kind of switcheroo. You were being very nice but those are intended to make sure people spend them on what they and their families actually need. People like that make it so much harder for people who actually need and really appreciate the support sad.gif

#19 Stronger

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

No I would not have bought it at all. There is a reason why the charities give out the shopping cards instead of cash...because cash would be spent on drugs/alcohol/cigarettes/electronic toys/phones and sadly this is where I think your $50 has gone.

I really hope that his family is not sitting in the dark and going hungry sad.gif

You tried to do the right thing though OP.

#20 Montro

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

I swear if you look up 'naive' in the dictionary, you'll see a photo of me!

I did get a bit suspicious when, after I paid him for the card, he then started wandering casually around the supermarket, before leaving without buying anything.  I thought that he'd be hotfooting it down to wherever one goes to have one's power reconnected, instead of hanging about the supermarket.

Ah well, live and learn.  Just hope I don't get asked again, because I am a bit of a sucker for a sob story (especially one which involves children.)  My answer, though, will be a firm NO.

#21 Feral_Pooks

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Meh. He could have bought it off another person for 30 or 40 and now made a little profit. Like I said, you'll never know.

#22 Feral Becky

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

He is off to get a hit

#23 MrsLexiK

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I was on the wish gift card site the other day you can buy grocery only cards yourself. Having said that I wouldn't have bought it off him as I have a strict budget and only keep the bear minimum in my account as in $20 as I put things on credit and transfer it out the bills account straight after (so everything paid off in full) so likely I wouldn't of have $50 to give him and I am not paying a cash advance fee.

#24 Who is me

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Sorry OP, but he was probably a junkie.

#25 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

TBH electricity or gas can not be disconnected due to non payment after 5pm on a Friday states other the SA where it can only been done Monday to Thursday. No company can disconnect on a weekend. He is more then likely selling for cash for not very legal reasons and there I would say is no child. A child at 18 months would be mostly on solids so that for me would get multiple alarm bells. I forgot to mention you cant reconnect for non payment on a weekend. I doubt The call centers are open today, after working in a couple Res is the only one I know of that does have the call centre open on a saturday

Edited by YellowKittyGlenn, 24 November 2012 - 03:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.