Bleeding at 5 wks
Is there any hope??

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 steffijade81

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hi im just 5 wks pregnant and started bleeding last night. It was just 2 spots of bright red blood when wiping. I have had a lot of cramping since last night and went and saw my GP this afternoon. She sent me for bloods and Im supposed to have more on Monday and then see her on Tuesday for the results. I also have a scan booked for 7 weeks. Shortly after leaving the surgery I had a small gush of bright red blood again. Is there any hope?? Please tell me what to expect if this is a inevitable miscarriage. I know its early and but Im devastated sad.gif

Edited by steffijade81, 23 November 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#2 mumofenergiserbuny

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Steffie, first of all sorry if this turns for the worst.... bbighug.gif
if it is a misscarraige expect more bloods to be taken to confirm your HcG hormones going back to normal, they may want to do an u/s to check that there is no remaining tissue (sorry) and possibly if there is a D&C to clear everything out.... also depending on the doctor they may tell you not to try again for another 6-18 weeks....I really hope this isnt the case.

edited for spelling

Edited by mumofenergiserbuny, 23 November 2012 - 10:19 PM.

#3 libbylu

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Sorry you are going through this.
Only time will tell, as some women get bleeding and things turn out alright, but it doesn't sound so good.
At 5 weeks if it is a miscarriage you will most likely experience just a heavy period.
My miscarriage was at 7 weeks and it was mostly like a normal heavy period with the exception of a couple of hours on the third day of bleeding where the bleeding and cramping were extra bad and made me feel very faint.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

#4 steffijade81

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thank you girls for replying. I am feeling the worst is coming and Im just so devastated. I know there is still a chance but I could tell the doctor was thinking the worst today when I saw her. The two spots I had last nights were small clots so she seemed to think that wasnt great. This afternoon has been more. Im scared and so sad. I hate waiting. I watched my mum go through this and my brother was born sleeping. Life is just so cruel sometimes. I feel selfish for being so upset. Its hormones I guess.

Edited by steffijade81, 23 November 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#5 ChilliDog

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Sorry you're going through this stressful time OP. I really hope it's not a MC ... fingers crossed.

I've just gone through one myself this week ... I was a bit further along than you but am sure it would be similar. Expect lots of blood, stock up on pads (I've been using night time ones all week) ive had lots of cramping ... especially when passing any tissue/clots. Get some good pain relief just in case. I've just been to the doc today to get a script for panadine forte as the cramping has been fairly strong. You maybe fine with just normal panadine/panadol tho given its earlier.

I have everything crossed for you OP that it's just a horrible scare  bbighug.gif

#6 ChilliDog

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (steffijade81 @ 23/11/2012, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Life is just so cruel sometimes. I feel selfish for being so upset. Its hormones I guess.

Life is really cruel sometime ... it's just not fair!!

Just remember its ok to be sad and grieve what you've lost ... even in those few short days/weeks so many plans are made and it's impossible to stop yourself dreaming of the future even though you know you shouldn't just yet ...

I know exactly what you're going through ... I'm in the same place right now.

#7 steffijade81

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

Chillidog Im sorry for your loss. bbighug.gif Thanks for your reply. It helps to talk to people that have been through it. I'm hanging on the chance it could be a scare but not feeling too positive.

#8 steffijade81

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

And your right you do dream. I was already looking at wraps and stuff. I wasnt going to buy anything till 12 wks.Ive always said if I was going to go through this then the earlier the better. I have always been terrified after my brother and seeing what my poor mum went through. She was talking about him waiting for her in heaven when she died a few years ago. She grieved for him for 20 years. Im sorry I probably sound irrational now im just such a mess. Im so scared and equaly feel stupid because there is so many women out there that have been through what my mum did and that is so so much worse I guess. But any loss is devastating and I know on Tuesday the doctor is going to deliver me bad news.

#9 ChilliDog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

How are you doing this morning OP? I've been thinking about you and hoping like crazy things have settled down.

I know it's pretty impossible not to but please try hard not to stress until you know what's going on. Many women do have bleeding in the first tri and still go on to have healthy pregnancies. This could very well be one of those times.

As for me we had our dating scan and bub was measuring 3 weeks behind and no HB so was pretty much over then and there for us. Had to wait a further 2 weeks for another scan to confirm so by the time I started to mc (day after the second scan) we had had 2 weeks to stress and cry. Now I'm actually going through the mc I feel I've been fairly strong because being in limbo land for 2 weeks was my version of hell. Now I can finish grieving and move on.

#10 Larabubbles

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Hi Ladies,

Sorry to hear of your loss Chillidog. I started TTC in October and was shocked but excited that we got pregnant straight away! But I had heavy bleeding & cramps on Monday so I am also in "Limbo Land" at the moment. My bleeding also started at 5 weeks, my bleeding lasted 5 days so I don't hold much hope & all my pregnancy signs have gone - I just don't feel pregnant anymore.

I had another blood test today and then probably another ultrasound in a week. I too was shocked at how emotional I was when I only knew I was pregnant for a week when the MC started. I can only imagine how bad it would feel being further along sad.gif

The waiting is killing me and I just want to start trying again - but then I am worried how scared I will be if I do get pregnant again. Trying to think as positive as possible and that all things happen for a reason, this is my bodies way of saying something was not quite right.

Let us know how you go with your results SteffiJade original.gif I see the dr Tuesday xxx

#11 steffijade81

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Chillidog, thanks for thinking of me original.gif I haven't had anymore bleeding as yet but still lots of cramping. I'm trying to think positive. It helps to speak to others that have been through this 'limbo period" I'm just so anxious and know its going to be a scary few weeks waiting for confirmation either way and what happens next. Ive spoken to ladies in the last few days that have had bleeding and even low hcg levels and still gone on to have their babies. Its just so cruel being totured like this. Especially when the outcome is not good and you've endured all the stress and poking and proding. How are you going? I hope things run smoothly and you concieve again soon with a sticky bub hands.gif I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers x

Larabubbles I also see the doctor on Tuesday to get the results of my HCG bloods. I know what you mean with trying again. If this turns out badly I know I will be so anxious about getting pregnant again. I am sorry to hear your in the same boat and really hope by some miracle you have a sticky bub. Please let us know how you go too.

There should be a thread started for those of us in limbo land. There may be somewhere, if anyone reading this knows can you point me in the right direction??

#12 HoneyNester

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

Steffi- I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time.
I had 3 miscarriages before I had my son. I'm pregnant again now and had bleeding between 4-6wks, 9-11wks. I'm now 14wks pg and all scans have been perfect so far. Next appt on Monday.
It is so hard to know what will happen in these early days. I've been on both sides now. Just wanted to let you know that it can still be ok with bleeding ...if that makes sense.
original.gif honey

#13 Larabubbles

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Wishing you all the best with your appt Steffi xxx

A few of my friends have had mc's and then gone on to get pregnant and have healthy babies, that is what is keeping me going. Definitely helps to talk about it though, one day I'm feeling ok and then the next I am really teary...and there a babies & pregnant people everywhere! sad.gif

Looking forward to getting out of Limbo Land that is for sure!!!

#14 ChilliDog

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

Glad to hear the bleeding has stopped ... I have everything crossed for you that all is ok with your precious little bundle. Normal cramping (not horribly painful) is normal in early pregnancy ... things have to stretch to accommodate an extra passenger so all could be just fine!! If you need to chat feel free to PM anytime.

Larabubbles I'm really sorry to hear you're in limbo land as well. It's really the most horrible place to be! I hope you get an answer one way or another really soon xx

I'm happy to keep chatting and supporting you both here of you want/need it.

#15 steffijade81

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

I wish you all the best too hun and please let me know how you go on Tuesday bbighug.gif

#16 steffijade81

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Thanks Chillidog for your support hun original.gif I have issues with my PM system, I cant seem to send PM's. It's very annoying. I will keep you updated on here though and please know that Im hear if you need to vent or talk as well. I will keep checking in each day xx

#17 Larabubbles

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thank you so much ChilliDog, I really appreciate the support original.gif

I hope you are doing ok, I can only imagine how much harder it would have been for you being alot further along. Sending you much love & positivity when you start trying again bbighug.gif

#18 ChilliDog

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Just checking in to see how you both are doing??

#19 Larabubbles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hi ladies,

The dr's surgery cancelled my appt today because my dr wasn't coming in so now I am going tomorrow arvo....so another day of waiting for me sad.gif

Hope your appt went well SteffiJade, I was thinking of you hhugs.gif

One positive today, my friend who also had an m/c earlier this year had a healthy baby girl today..shows you there is light at the end of the tunnel.

#20 steffijade81

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hi Girls...

Honey sorry I only just saw your post thanks for replying. Im so happy for you that all has been good for you so far, its hard being in limbo, every time you bleed it's terrifying. I think after going through it 3 times you definately are due some luck this time. I wish you all the very best x

Lara Im sorry to hear that you have to wait another day. I would have been so upset. You poor thing sad.gif I really hope all goes well for you tomorrow hun x

Thanks Chilli for thinking of me x

Well my appt today went well I think. My levels have risen quite well so the dr was happy with that but I have continued to bleed and she has no idea what could be the cause. I am off for a internal scan on Thursday late morning to try to see where the bleed is coming from and to see if the baby is measuring right or if it's no longer viable (dr's terms sad.gif ) I came home excited but terrified. I have no symptoms and every time I go to the toilet there is blood so I just dont have much hope. If the hormones have risen does that mean there definately is a baby growing in there?? Im so confused and emotional. I have to continue having blood tests every 2 days which Im not good with (I'm a fainter) so Im just all over the place. But have slightly more hope.

Chilli I hope your going ok and Lara I will check in tomorrow night to see if you posted. Will be thinking of you bbighug.gif

#21 Larabubbles

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hi girls,

Well it was as I thought definite M/C but HCG levels is very low so no D&C required which is one positive. Now I have to try my best not to stress about getting pregnant or it won't happen...easier said then done!!!

Good luck with your scan Steffi, I'm sending you all my positive thoughts!!! I'm now off to introduce myself to the TTC forum and get back on the baby making horse!!! I'll keep checking in to see how your going xxx

Thanks ChilliDog for your support through this xxx

#22 I'msoMerry

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

I just wanted to give you a positive outcome possibility.

I had heavy red bleeding at 5 weeks then again at 6 weeks. Had lots of cramping.
He is now 15 so you never know?! My OB couldnt give a reason at the time.
Good luck.

#23 steffijade81

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hi Lara, Im sorry to hear it was a M/C sad.gif good on you for jumping back on the horse though hun. I hope you get pregnant very soon and its a nice easy problem free pregnancy.

Thanks for thinking of me. Im a bit over it today. I went for yet another blood test this morning and fainted. Think the stress is just getting to me. Have my scan tomorrow at 11 ish so hopefully they can give me some news. I just wish I could find out where the bleed is coming from. The GP checked me for cervical erosion and infection but neither of those are the cause. Guess I will have a new plan of attack on Friday when I see her again.

Hope your going ok Chilli and Honey as well original.gif

#24 steffijade81

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (michellew68 @ 28/11/2012, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wanted to give you a positive outcome possibility.

I had heavy red bleeding at 5 weeks then again at 6 weeks. Had lots of cramping.
He is now 15 so you never know?! My OB couldnt give a reason at the time.
Good luck.

Hi Michelle thanks for the positive story original.gif So you never found out why you had bleeding?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.