Book Series for 8 year old girl
Any suggestions.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 *dreamer*

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi,
My 8 year old DD is a book worm.  She is just constantly reading.  We used to go to the local library, but now that I am working full-time again, I am finding it just so hard to get there with her.  

I am now resorting to Book Depository.  Although she reads at about 3-4years above her age, she is definitely not older than her years in maturity.  So, she likes the challenge of the older books, but sometimes not the content.

She loves Ivy and Bean, Nanny Piggins, Judy Moody all the Enid Blyton collections etc.

Is there some fantastic colletion that I have missed that I can buy to keep her happy over the summer.
I would love some suggestions if you have any.
Thanks

#2 *Mimi*

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

All in the Blue Unclouded Weather by Robyn Klein and then there's two more books in the series that follow it. I loved them when I was her age and still do!! Although 3 books won't keep her going for the whole summer but they're still worth reading original.gif

#3 s'peachykeen

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

She might be on the cusp of Ronald Dahl? 'Matilda' might be a place to start?

#4 big adventure

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I was given the whole Anne of Green Gables set when I was eight, and I still read them to this day.  I also found out only a few years ago that there were two more books in the Anne series that I didn't have - loved discovering them!  
And if she likes the Anne books, LM Montgomery also did an earlier series called Emily of New Moon (there are 3), which I also discovered in adulthood and love.

#5 Anemonefish

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

My 9yo DD loved the 'Rainbow Fairy' series last year - she got through them really fast though (one or more per night) so we used to get those from the library rather than buy them.

She also loves:
Geronimo Stilton (and the spin-off Thea Stilton)
Nanny Piggins
Alice Miranda
Darcey Bussel's ballerina series
Roald Dahl books

My DD also reads above her age level but is still a bit too sweet & innocent for the content of the teen books.

Check if your local library has a service where you can view their catalogue online and choose the books you want, then instead of having to go and spend the time picking out books, you can just drop by and pick them up from the loans counter.

#6 Ianthe

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Alice Miranda by Jacqueline Harvey
My Story series ( I bought a set of these through Scholastic for $4 a book!)
http://www.moon-monkey.com/zone/book_my-story_girls.htm
Our Australian Girl series
http://www.ouraustraliangirl.com.au/

And as a kid I loved

The Moffats by Eleanor Estes
All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

There's a few in each series.

#7 PatG

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I'm not sure if she is old enough (long time since I read them!) but the Billabong series by Mary Grant Bruce is good but I'm not sure how readily available they are - they were republished in the 90s I think (originally published 1920s ish).

Pollyanna books.

I second Anne of Green Gables

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

The Anne of Green Gables series is beautiful!

Also if they still exist I started reading the baby sitter club books around that age, as well as a series called the gymnasts.

Roald dahl's books are also great - James & the giant peach, willy wonker & the chocolate factory (there is also a sequal to this), the twits & matilda have wonderful story lines.

John Marsden also has a lot of great kids books, but I think they may be too grown up.

I also read a book called Zlata's diary - it's actually written by a child living in sarejavo during the latest war there. It is her actual diary & she would have been about 9 or 10 when she wrote it. It's stuck with me for some reason, maybe because it's a true story.

#9 Elemenopee

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

My 7 year old has recently enjoyed the Magic School Bus Chapter books. I ordered them off Book Depository for about $4.50 a book (there are 17). I also grabbed a 10pack of Goosebumps for $18 (thanks Gloriosa!).
My dd also really like the Little House on the Prairie books, The Borrowers are great too. Narnia. Magic Faraway Tree. Milly Molly Mandy but your daugher is probably to old for this (although I am sure I read it over and again til I was about 12!)

#10 Brumby Jack

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

My 8-year-old really enjoys the "Puppy Place" books, as well as Roald Dahl books.

Edited by Brumby Jack, 23 November 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#11 PatG

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Probably aimed at boys but I also enjoyed the Indian in the Cupboard series.  I just did a search and apparently they are recommended for 9 and up.  I think I was probably 9 when I read them.

#12 erypmaV

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

My DD loves the Deltora Quest books by Emily Rodda.
Lots of other good suggestions in this thread - Roald Dahl, Geronimo Stilton etc

Narnia could be another good series.

#13 Julie3Girls

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I second the Our Australian Girls books - books about Australian girls in different times in history, eg The Grace books are about a little English girl who is sent to Australia as a convict. There is 4 books in each series, about 6 different girls at the moment I think.

Babysitter club books are good.

EJ12 is the big time favourite with my DD2 (almost 9 yr old_

Nancy Drew is another one - my DD2 has borrowed these from the library, there are actually a series called the Nancy Drew Notebooks, which is about when Nancy Drew is 8yr old.

My older DD as also read Anne of Green Gables. Also a few of the little house on the praire books.
Oh, and another set was Lemony Snickets Series of Unfortunate Events. She has loved them.

I agree with finding the on-line library catalogue, and placing reservations. You can pick them up on your way past. Most libraries are open Saturday morning too. Even if you want to buy books, it's sometimes good to borrow the first in a series, see if your DD likes them, before buying.

#14 PonyoLand

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

At that age I loved the Silver Brumby series, as well as many of those mentioned by PPs.
Not sure if its a bit too old, bit Tamora Pierce maybe? I was 10 with those though.

#15 sophiasmum

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

Roald Dahl
Dear Dumb Diary

#16 katrina24

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Hi, my DD is a little younger than your but seems to have similar taste in books (going by your list). She has read a fee of the Rohld Dahl books and loved them. Think she has read Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the BFG, George's Marvellous Medicine. I've ordered a couple more but can't remember the names. Some of his books seem a lite dark for her. I've had Deltora Quest recommended to me recently too.

#17 *dreamer*

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hi, sorry I am only just coming back to this topic now, but just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. Off now to make some purchases.  One final question - apart from the Book Depository, are there any other good online book stores?
Thanks again.

Edited by *dreamer*, 26 November 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#18 Anemonefish

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I use Booktopia.com.au, they have quite a good range of kids books and a flat rate ($6 or $7) for postage.

Edited by Anemonefish, 26 November 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#19 Rangeman

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

You could also try Betterworldbooks.com they come from America but the postage is minimal and you can choose from new or used books depending on how much you want to spend.  I have a Kindle now but I was using Betterworldbooks all the time, much cheaper than anything I found here.

I don't know if this series is a little old for her, I think I first read it when I was around 12 it's called The Belgariad by David Eddings, there are 10 books in the first series starting with Pawn of Prophecy about a farm boy.  I think the second series may be too old.

#20 brazen

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

emelia's also same age, similar reading level.

she has read all the roald dahl books. she also loves the alice miranda books, the australian girl books.

she's also been reading the narnia series

some other books she likes are the 'dear dumb diary' series (not dork diary), some enid blyton (enchanted woods), 'my sister the vampire' series, and most of the old Apple paperbacks i can find second hand.

she hasn't taken to nancy drew, trixie belden or harry potter. she found mary grant bruce's billabong series a bit hard yet.

she tends not to like reading long books but reads so quickly she can read most of the above in a day or two! frustrating lol

#21 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Anemonefish @ 26/11/2012, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use Booktopia.com.au, they have quite a good range of kids books and a flat rate ($6 or $7) for postage.

I use this too. Great service as well.
I was going to suggest the Lemony Snicketts series (available through Booktopia) My DD started these at about 11, she just turned 15 and recieved the last 3 books in the series for her birthday. She's devoured these in a week!

#22 leisamd

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

My DD loved the Sophie and the shadow woods series, she's re-read them dozens of times.  

Another good series is the Series of Unfortunate Events.  Oh, I see this one has already been mentioned.  I'm thinking of introducing this one at some stage too, same author as the hunger games series, - Gregor the Overlander

Fishpond is a good online bookstore too, that's where my links take you.  original.gif

#23 SFML

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

the wizard of oz series is actually about a dozen or so books and great - one of my childhood favourites along with Enid blyton and narnia
http://www.amazon.com/Books-Wonderful-Marv...m_syf_dtl_top_1

#24 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Ianthe @ 23/11/2012, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alice Miranda by Jacqueline Harvey
My Story series ( I bought a set of these through Scholastic for $4 a book!)
http://www.moon-monkey.com/zone/book_my-story_girls.htm
Our Australian Girl series
http://www.ouraustraliangirl.com.au/

And as a kid I loved

The Moffats by Eleanor Estes
All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

There's a few in each series.

My dd also loves those my Australian girl books

#25 *yassie*

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

My 8 year old DD just finished the May Bird trilogy , she loved it. She also loves Deltora Quest and the Eragon books. There are so many great books out there. Also I just received the last of my order from the book depository. They arrived in less than a week!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.