Sex won't bring on labour
New Study

17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

Spoilsport scientists!

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/201.../22/3638581.htm

"There is a widespread belief that sex during the later stages of pregnancy can jumpstart labour, but that doesn't appear to be so - at least according to a study from Malaysia.

The researchers, whose work appeared in BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, found that there were no differences in the timing of delivery between women who had sex near term and those who abstained.

"We are a little disappointed," says Tan Peng Chiong, an obstetrics and gynecology professor at the University of Malaya and one of the authors of the study.

"It would have been nice for couples to have something safe, effective and perhaps even fun that they could use themselves to help go into labour a little earlier if (they) wanted."

Tan says that many women believe intercourse can induce labour, and scientists have proposed plausible biological explanations for why it might help.

For one, semen contains a hormone-like substance called prostaglandin, which is used in synthetic form to induce labour. Breast stimulation is also thought to hasten labour and orgasm can trigger uterine contractions.

"Labour induction for prolonged pregnancy is common and many women are also tempted for a variety of personal reasons to trigger labour in the very later stages of pregnancy," says Tan.

Randomised trial

The researchers invited more than 1100 women to participate, all of whom were 35 to 38 weeks pregnant and none of whom had had sex in the previous six weeks.

Roughly half of the women were advised by a physician to have sex frequently as a means of safely expediting labour. The other half were told that sex was safe during pregnancy, but that its effects on labour were unknown.

The researchers then tracked the women to determine how long their pregnancies lasted and whether they required any medical intervention to start labour.

They found that about 85 per cent of the women who were encouraged to have sex did follow the doctor's advice, while 80 per cent of women in the other group also had sex.

Women in the group advised to have sex also had it more frequently for the remaining duration of their pregnancies - three times versus two.

But the rates of induced labour were similar in both groups: 22 per cent of those advised to have sex and 20.8 per cent of the other group, a difference so small it is likely to have been driven by chance.

Pregnancy 'robust to the end'

Earlier research relied primarily on surveys of women about their sexual experiences during pregnancy, but this study was "the first attempt to really randomise the experience, for some to have sex and some to not, which is a very hard thing to do," says Dr Jonathan Schaffir, an associate professor of obstetrics and gynaecology at the Ohio State University College of Medicine.

"Even though this study did not show any increase in the rate of labour or a decrease in the rate of induction, it helped to cement the idea that having sex is probably safe if you want it," he says.

Tan says the results show that pregnancy evolved to be resistant to disruption.

"Human pregnancy has to be robust to a little adventure like intercourse and unfortunately for our purpose, it seems pretty robust to the very end," he says."

Edited by AllegraM, 23 November 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#2 HeroOfCanton

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Hmm, study says no, but that doesn't mean people can't keep trying Tounge1.gif

#3 girltribe4

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

I wasn't trying to bring labour on as I was only 37wks but DD#2 's birth started a few hours after we DTD ph34r.gif , She was my only early baby .

#4 diegov

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

Not a very well controlled study when both groups having sex.... Lol
It's the prostaglandin in semen that induce labour. More to the point, prostaglandins ripen the cervix for labour.

#5 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (diegov @ 23/11/2012, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a very well controlled study when both groups having sex.... Lol
It's the prostaglandin in semen that induce labour. More to the point, prostaglandins ripen the cervix for labour.

I knew this already but just curious. If you are already dilating slowly (due to previous pregnancies) and slightly thinned out is it really going to make a difference?

#6 Bluenomi

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Thank goodness! The last thing I wanted to do at 40 weeks was the deed.

#7 maneki_neko

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

May as well make the most of it though, chances are you won't be up to it for at least a few weeks afterwards!

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hmm?
Not sure about the trial but having sex will not bring on labour unless you are 'ready' anyway but I most definitely think that depositing a heap of prostaglandins onto the cervix does get things going in many women.
The number of women who have come in post sex in labour would make it seem to be a bit of a coincidence if it does nothing......no harm in trying original.gif

#9 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

A bit odd that it was the 'rates of induced labour' they used as their measure of success?

I mean I get that it would be faults in any measure, but wouldn't average gestation at occurrence of natural labour be the better measure?
I'd have thought that the women who had to be induced were probably not going to go into labour by any subtle or natural means anyway - it'd be the ones who were on the brink of natural labour that would go earlier due to the prostoglandins...

What their experiment is effectively measuring is "Is sex as effective an inducer of labour as syntocin?" which is a much bigger claim...
Assuming the reporting of the study is correct.

ETA. HangonWHUT? Did I read it correctly? Both groups had sex at roughly the same rate anyway (80-85%).... but they still figured it was valid to compare both groups induction rates and draw a conclusion? Um.... scientific method FAIL! laughing2.gif

Edited by CallMeAliG, 23 November 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#10 diegov

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (InsertAwesomeHere @ 23/11/2012, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I knew this already but just curious. If you are already dilating slowly (due to previous pregnancies) and slightly thinned out is it really going to make a difference?

Yes will make a difference! Helps dilation speed up/ happen easier

#11 elle-M

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

My DH will not be happy to hear this biggrin.gif

#12 dreamingofcats

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

I was under the impression it will only work if your cervix is already softening anyway, so as a stand alone thing its not really effective.

I do however have a new appreciation when I have heard women say they will try just about anything to bring on labour in the last few weeks, Im 37 weeks tomorrow and so very hot and tired and crankey!!

#13 my serenity

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

Yep we had regular sex through pregnancy and I've gone into labour within half Hour to 24 hours if due date every time

Yep we had regular sex through pregnancy and I've gone into labour within half Hour to 24 hours if due date every time

#14 Lauren Bell

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Putting the evidence aside, I've always thought the idea of having sex to bring on labor is ridic. Same goes for any other method you decide to use (castor oil??). Desperate ideas but I strongly believe baby will come when it's ready!! And if you've drank castor oil and 6 hours later your in labour, I think it's more of a coincidence then "omg castor oil worked"

#15 monkeys mum

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

The study doesn't really sound that reliable to me.

Surely something natural would work better then a synthetic form.

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (QueenB.PrincessC @ 24/11/2012, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Putting the evidence aside, I've always thought the idea of having sex to bring on labor is ridic. Same goes for any other method you decide to use (castor oil??). Desperate ideas but I strongly believe baby will come when it's ready!! And if you've drank castor oil and 6 hours later your in labour, I think it's more of a coincidence then "omg castor oil worked"

Castor Oil used to be one of the only ways to induce labour half a century ago and it did work on women who were already 'ripe'. The stimulation of the bowel caused by the castor oil can then in turn kick start the contractions of the uterus.

I would have to say that from my observations and from what I've been told is that semen definitely can hurry things along in a women who has a cervix that is effacing. original.gif

#17 katniss

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

We had sex the night before I went into labour....but who knows

#18 erindiv

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

DTD brought on labour with my DD on her due date.

That study seems a bit weird, or maybe I'm not reading it right. It sounds like they had similar rates of labour in the women who had sex as... the other women that had sex?

Huh?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Couple's bucket list for unborn baby

Jenna and Dan Haley know their baby's time will be limited, so they're packing in a lifetime of memories before he's even born.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.