Should I give up my parenting payment

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs.Owl

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I work full time, DP works full time, I recieve parenting payment partnered for DS who is 4.  His Dad does not work, studies at uni full time, does not want to work, and will not work, he only recieved FTB for DS.

He approached me requesting that he wants my parenting payment ( as he will recieve single parent with the full rate for not work and cheap daycare under the JET scheme )

He said if he has the entire payment, he'll pay for 100% daycare needs for 2012 remaining and then into school next year ( so books, other feeds that come up etc, swimming lessons, camps etc )

Its about $200 I receive each forntight, but it really does help me, because its my fuel money, money that i top up with groceries, car insurance, and my part of daycare feeds comes out of this. And to be honest I will really struggle my a.. off without.

I feel, he should get a job while he is studying, he lives at home with his parents ( in a duplex style home, so he has his own 'house' so to speak ) uses their car ( so isn't making repayments etc like I do in my case )

As I dont rely on my parents like he does, our household bills are quiet high.

He said if he doesn't recieve this payment, he'll take me for child support. Which I am not concerned about as it will amount to only $28.00 per week as I have him 50%

I mentioned to him, maybe I should have DS more if he can't  ' afford him ' - I wasn't threatening etc.

I am very concerned as I have limited funds till next fortnight ( bills already paid etc. ) if I dont recieve my parenting payment partnered, we will be struggling very bad.

DP and I do combine our income, so his income goes towards food, fuel, insurance, rego's, PHI and he helps me with daycare and other fees for DS ( who isnt his child )

In this case - would you hand over your payment? Or should Ex-DP get a job to support his child?

the way I see it is that every single uni student I know, has a job ( or 2 ! ) to support them selves, most parents I know have a job to support there child.

I have been very accomodating with ex-DP as he hasn't paid child support for DS.  He has gone over seas 3 times for holidays ( but cant afford c.support rolleyes.gif ) and he went overseas to study for 6 months for uni, and didn't pay me c.support while I had DS full time.

What do you think?

#2 opethmum

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Tell him these words.

Go.jump

He obviously has different priorities and if you give up the parenting payments given his history he will hit you up for funds and probably won't do as he says he will. Please don't give it up for him the only loser will be your DS.

#3 TillyTake2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

I'd you are eligible for PP why isn't he? You have your child as much as he does.

Also, how do you get PP if you & your DH work full time?!

#4 cas8cas

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Iont understand how you recieve parenting payment if you both work full time

my partner is only dad to one of mine and we dont recieve parenting payment only ftb a and b

#5 Holidayromp

Tell him to go and get stuffed.

#6 TillyTake2

QUOTE (Mrs.Owl @ 22/11/2012, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I work full time, DP works full time, I recieve parenting payment partnered for DS who is 4.  His Dad does not work, studies at uni full time, does not want to work, and will not work, he only recieved FTB for DS.

He approached me requesting that he wants my parenting payment ( as he will recieve single parent with the full rate for not work and cheap daycare under the JET scheme )

He said if he has the entire payment, he'll pay for 100% daycare needs for 2012 remaining and then into school next year ( so books, other feeds that come up etc, swimming lessons, camps etc )

Its about $200 I receive each forntight, but it really does help me, because its my fuel money, money that i top up with groceries, car insurance, and my part of daycare feeds comes out of this. And to be honest I will really struggle my a.. off without.

I feel, he should get a job while he is studying, he lives at home with his parents ( in a duplex style home, so he has his own 'house' so to speak ) uses their car ( so isn't making repayments etc like I do in my case )

As I dont rely on my parents like he does, our household bills are quiet high.

He said if he doesn't recieve this payment, he'll take me for child support. Which I am not concerned about as it will amount to only $28.00 per week as I have him 50%

I mentioned to him, maybe I should have DS more if he can't  ' afford him ' - I wasn't threatening etc.

I am very concerned as I have limited funds till next fortnight ( bills already paid etc. ) if I dont recieve my parenting payment partnered, we will be struggling very bad.

DP and I do combine our income, so his income goes towards food, fuel, insurance, rego's, PHI and he helps me with daycare and other fees for DS ( who isnt his child )

In this case - would you hand over your payment? Or should Ex-DP get a job to support his child?

the way I see it is that every single uni student I know, has a job ( or 2 ! ) to support them selves, most parents I know have a job to support there child.

I have been very accomodating with ex-DP as he hasn't paid child support for DS.  He has gone over seas 3 times for holidays ( but cant afford c.support rolleyes.gif ) and he went overseas to study for 6 months for uni, and didn't pay me c.support while I had DS full time.

What do you think?

#7 amaza

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I wouldn't give it up. Tell him to get a job.

I'm curious as to how you get so much though. Maybe you should get that checked out? I get way less than that and I'm on a single parent pension and only work 4 days a week with 2 children at 50% care.

#8 Holidayromp

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Mrs.Owl @ 22/11/2012, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He has gone over seas 3 times for holidays ( but cant afford c.support rolleyes.gif ) and he went overseas to study for 6 months for uni, and didn't pay me c.support while I had DS full time.

You have to also ask yourself where did he get the money to do this if he is not working?  A

Also if he is being supported by his parents any extra money he gets will not be for your son it will be to benefit him.  I would not be handing over a cent.  Tell him to take you for child support see how far that will get him.

If he going to start paying hardball then request that the child support be backpaid from when he was os for six months.

He sounds like a tosser.

#9 adl

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Do you really believe he will pay childcare, school etc....please he sounds like a really honest upright kinda guy....

#10 B.3

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

I can't understand how you are receiving the means tested Parenting Payment if you and your partner are working full time?

#11 Mrs.Owl

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

how do you get PP if you & your DH work full time?!

With our incomes we just scrape under the eligible pile. I was recieving single parenting payment, which was about $400 with my wage ( varies depending how much I work inte f/n ) then I moved in with DP and his wage isnt high - so I only get $200 - sometimes $160, its not much at all.
I recieve about gosh, only $30 from FTB - I'm about to have it changed to only recieiving it in the financial year as its not worth it really.

I spoke to centrelink and we BOTH cant recieve Parenting Payment ( even though we have him half/half ) its a new law they bought in last year apparently.

But now you have me paranoid so I will be checking my entitlements tomorrow.

I just worry he'll get the money and wont pay for the expenses like he said and then DS will miss out. sad.gif

#12 B.3

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Tell your ex to apply for Austudy.

#13 bokbok

If you and your DP are both working full time - how on earth do you qualify for such a large amount of parenting payment? Do you report both your and your DP earnings each fortnight to Centrelink?

I think your ex should get a job!

#14 CheekyBuggers

I'm assuming your jobs can't be bringing in too much t still qualify as I only get ftb a&b and I don't work at all and it's the real  basic at that

I'd tell him to go jump as if it's 50/50 and you qualify then speaking so should he.

#15 JECJEC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

If he has fulltime care you will not receive any government payments and you will be liable for childsupport.

#16 Mrs.Owl

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'd tell him to go jump as if it's 50/50 and you qualify then speaking so should he.

I dont think you can claim for the one child ? I believe only one parent can claim for it?

#17 cantthinkofone

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Surely you'd get more FTB if you're getting 200 or so per fortnight for PPP????

#18 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Tell him to get a job. No you shouldn't be giving up your parenting payment for him.

#19 B.3

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 22/11/2012, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tell him to get a job. No you shouldn't be giving up your parenting payment for him.

They have the child 50/50 though so what makes one parent more entitled to the payment than the other? He also studies full time and has a child. I study only part time with a child and there is no way I could get a job.

OP I just looked up the DHS website and it says this about PPP.

"For part payment, your combined income must be less than $1660.00 per fortnight."

This would mean that to be eligible, both you and your DH are working for less than $11 per hour gross for a 38 hour week? I don't think you are eligible for PPP personally based on those figures.

#20 FiveAus

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Parenting payment can only be paid to the parent who's the primary carer. If the care is 50/50, it's paid to the one who applies first. The OP applied first, so that makes her eligible and her ex not.

#21 Lil Chickens

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

If you qualify for even a dollar of PP then you should be receiving max rate FTB part A but your Part B will be means tested.

This is from the Human Services website:
A part payment may be available provided all of the following conditions are met:
– recipient’s income must be less than $834.50 per fortnight, and
– partner’s income must be less than $1,576.17 per fortnight, and
– the combined income of the couple must be less than $1,669.50 per fortnight.

30 hours per week at minimum wage would gross you about $900pf ruling you out on your own.

And you are right only one parent can receive PP (it's not a very new rule).  If you have 50/50 care and can't come to an agreement on who should claim then Centrlink make an assessment of who is more entitled.

While I am not sure you could really be entitled if Centrelink know both your and your DP's GROSS income if you are entitled I wouldn't be giving it up for your ex.  His track record suggests he will leave you high and dry with his promises.

#22 katniss

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Mrs.Owl @ 22/11/2012, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just worry he'll get the money and wont pay for the expenses like he said and then DS will miss out. sad.gif

I think this sentence gives you your answer....... If you're already worrying about him keeping up his end of the bargain, that doesn't bode well for the future.

Edited by katniss, 22 November 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#23 emnut

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

to get part payment of PPP your combined income can only be $1,660/fortnight or around there somewhere - how can 2 people working full time possibly be earning enough less than that to get nearly half the full rate of PPP?

ETA - just saw that a PP has quoted the exact amounts - your figures of getting PPP & amount of FTB you are entitled to don't add up somehow so something seems wrong with the income you are reporting somewhere along the line

Edited by emnut, 22 November 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#24 Mrs.Owl

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Oh sweet jesus I think I am now in debt - it sounds right what you are saying because I do work for more than 11.00 an hour, and so does DP :S Crap ! Crap ! Crap !

What do I do in this case? Obviously Ill tell centrelink ive been over paid and work something out, what would happen with the parenting payment - will DP end up just getting it anywya

#25 Lees75

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

You should be getting more FTB than $30. If you are on PPP, you are automatically entitled to the maximum,!adjusted for care percentages and child support, of course:)

But I also can't see how two full time workers would be entitled to any PPP, unless you are trainees or apprentices

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.