Jump to content
2 replies to this topic
Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:16 PM
Not sure if anyone can help, but our backyard seems to have heaps of those huge ants that hurt when they bite. I'm highly allergic to things that bite and it's lucky I haven't been bitten yet but does anyone have any great tips on how to get rid of them? I'm reluctant to use things like ant sand as we have free ranged chickens, and I'm not sure that would work on them anyway. At the moment when we find a nest we are dropping fuel down the hole and setting them alight. They still seem to be everywhere though.
Any tips would be very appreciated!
Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 PM
My DH has been using the following methods and recipe to get rid of the green ants that live at our unit block. If there is a green ant anywhere it will find him and bite him. It has been personal for him to get rid of them!
If you can find the nest/s then:
1. Pour boiling water into the entrance hole.
2. Repeat treatment for three days in a row minimum.
3. Something like a steam cleaner can also be very effective (I have been told that using a steam cleaner can be good for spiders and other creepy crawlies. Very non-toxic.).
If you can't find the nest then I would try this:
Ant Trap Recipe:
Into a 600mL soft drink bottle add the following:
1. 300mL warm to hot deionised/purified water (they don’t like treated town water).
2. 100mL white vinegar (Woolworths home brand is fine).
3. 7 tablespoons of raw sugar.
4. 4 tablespoons of golden syrup.
5. 6 tablespoons of treacle.
6. 1 heaped teaspoon of vegemite or a teaspoon of dried yeast.
Shake to mix and ensure all components have dissolved. Ready to use immediately either outdoors or indoors.
1. You will need a small soft drink bottle ~600mL or smaller.
2. Punch holes ~pencil size or slightly larger in the top section of the bottle.
3. Fill the trap about 30% full with trap liquid.
4. You will need several trap bottles.
5. Place traps somewhere the ants seem to be congregating but where the kids and chooks won’t get to it. (The trap liquid is non-toxic but the chooks will probably want to eat it too due to the treacle component. I remember from growing up that they went crazy for molasses.)
6. You can also part-bury the bottle into the ground or put it inside a besser-block. This will help to hide it from the chooks and the ants like the dark.
7. The ants fall to their death and drown a sweet death.
8. No more ants.
1. Baby food-sized jar (no lid).
2. Place in the locations around the house where the ants are forming a trail.
3. Fill the bottle to about 1.5cm with ant trap liquid.
4. Watch the ant corpses pile up.
5. Change the liquid when there are too many ants in there for the trap to be able to drown them or the liquid has dried out.
Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:26 PM
They are great tips, thankyou so much for posting them!
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
The government has issued a health warning after a rise in allergic skin reactions has been linked to a preservative found in some wet wipes.
Love may have won, but it came with quite the wait.
The family of missing boy William Tyrrell will mark his fourth birthday on Friday making a cake to share with friends and family as NSW police renewed their public appeal for information on his disappearance.
A picture of Ryan Reynolds always gets the girls talking, and a recently shared photo has done exactly that - but this time, it's for all the wrong reasons.
Thinking her baby just had an unusually shaped head, a mother was shocked to discover it was instead linked to a dangerous condition.
My toddler has started hitting when he gets frustrated, is feeling ignored, or just thinks it might be fun.
Transparency, accountability and responsibilityare essential measures to protect IVF vulnerable patients.
This day marks a significant day. Today marks 10 years since I lost my son Kai.
It's been a whole year since sleeping in until 10am. A whole year since having a peaceful shower.
Are you a parent, or are you planning to be? Tell us what you think and you'll go in the draw to win a $500 gift card!
Unfortunately, the belief that sex should always be spontaneous is a myth. It just isn't.
Former All Black Jerry Collins' critically injured orphaned daughter has awoken from her coma and is able to bottle-feed.
One American father has taken multitasking to a new level at a Cubs-Dodgers baseball game at Wrigley Field.
Having lost their firstborn at one day old, the Carrolls were overjoyed to welcome their daughter Isobel into the world a year later.
From 'morning sickness' to 'the terrible twos', there are many parenting terms that are misleading.
While most nannies take pride in their work, there can be some who have a hidden side.
Beware: skinny jeans might be bad for your health.
A number of women having caesarean deliveries are now taking steps to give their baby a better 'microbiome' start in life.
Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC's The Tonight Show, recently wrote a children's book about every father's secret wish for their baby's first word to be "dada" - not "mama".
Looking for some baby name inspiration for a bub born during the colder months? Here are 28 options from around the world to consider.
Top 5 Articles
Ultrasounds give you a look at your growing baby ... and sometimes what appears to their womb-buddy, or your bub in an amusing position.
The uncle of the seven-year-old girl at the centre of the brawl at child's birthday party in Sydney's west has described the events leading up to the alarming show of violence.
More often than not, you'll read that screen time for children should be kept to a minimum - but some scientists are now challenging this way of thinking.
Natalie Reilly describes three main types of conversations mothers have. And, surprise, they're not all about kids.
A baby's smell, the noises it makes and even its gaze can contribute to the potential for a dog attack.
It was meant to be a tasteful cake to help celebrate a three-year-old's christening.
How many times have you been warned about all the sleepless nights you have to 'look forward to' when you become a parent?
A police officer arrived at a devastating scene on Thursday: a car crash resulting in all passengers being thrown from the vehicle.
Want to open the boardroom doors for women? Encourage - heck, praise - dads who stay home with their children.
Just two days after giving birth, actor Alec Balwin's wife posted a post-baby picture on social media.
Compliance is part of the parent-child relationship, but so is resistance. It's all natural.
The Baird government will include $22.8 million in Tuesday's NSW budget to expand a program designed to help parents at risk of postnatal depression (PND).
I'm really lucky to have two great kids, but I found it really tough with so much being aimed at the mothers and not the fathers.
Mums returning to work - and yes, dads too - aren't the same as when they left. But that doesn't mean they're not as good as they once were.
How do you create an original pregnancy announcement and gender reveal? You turn to Britney Spears.
When told that they are having a 'big baby', many women have a lot of fears. But those fears are often unfounded.
This bizarre snack takes the cake (of soap) when it comes to weird pregnancy cravings.
Can you spot him in the video? The child who loses his rubber ring, panics, and then almost drowns? It isn't easy.
Yes, I know it's silly. I know all the advice from experts is to use the right terminology from the moment your child can talk. But I just can't.
Bree O'Malley has a cancer diagnosis, a rare blood condition, kidney and liver failure and other complications. And she is pregnant with triplets.
Are you are parent or planning to be? We want to know what you think - let us know and you'll be in the draw to win a $500 gift card.