Jump to content
2 replies to this topic
Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:16 PM
Not sure if anyone can help, but our backyard seems to have heaps of those huge ants that hurt when they bite. I'm highly allergic to things that bite and it's lucky I haven't been bitten yet but does anyone have any great tips on how to get rid of them? I'm reluctant to use things like ant sand as we have free ranged chickens, and I'm not sure that would work on them anyway. At the moment when we find a nest we are dropping fuel down the hole and setting them alight. They still seem to be everywhere though.
Any tips would be very appreciated!
Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 PM
My DH has been using the following methods and recipe to get rid of the green ants that live at our unit block. If there is a green ant anywhere it will find him and bite him. It has been personal for him to get rid of them!
If you can find the nest/s then:
1. Pour boiling water into the entrance hole.
2. Repeat treatment for three days in a row minimum.
3. Something like a steam cleaner can also be very effective (I have been told that using a steam cleaner can be good for spiders and other creepy crawlies. Very non-toxic.).
If you can't find the nest then I would try this:
Ant Trap Recipe:
Into a 600mL soft drink bottle add the following:
1. 300mL warm to hot deionised/purified water (they don’t like treated town water).
2. 100mL white vinegar (Woolworths home brand is fine).
3. 7 tablespoons of raw sugar.
4. 4 tablespoons of golden syrup.
5. 6 tablespoons of treacle.
6. 1 heaped teaspoon of vegemite or a teaspoon of dried yeast.
Shake to mix and ensure all components have dissolved. Ready to use immediately either outdoors or indoors.
1. You will need a small soft drink bottle ~600mL or smaller.
2. Punch holes ~pencil size or slightly larger in the top section of the bottle.
3. Fill the trap about 30% full with trap liquid.
4. You will need several trap bottles.
5. Place traps somewhere the ants seem to be congregating but where the kids and chooks won’t get to it. (The trap liquid is non-toxic but the chooks will probably want to eat it too due to the treacle component. I remember from growing up that they went crazy for molasses.)
6. You can also part-bury the bottle into the ground or put it inside a besser-block. This will help to hide it from the chooks and the ants like the dark.
7. The ants fall to their death and drown a sweet death.
8. No more ants.
1. Baby food-sized jar (no lid).
2. Place in the locations around the house where the ants are forming a trail.
3. Fill the bottle to about 1.5cm with ant trap liquid.
4. Watch the ant corpses pile up.
5. Change the liquid when there are too many ants in there for the trap to be able to drown them or the liquid has dried out.
Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:26 PM
They are great tips, thankyou so much for posting them!
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
Home and Away actress Ada Nicodemou has opened up about the loss of her stillborn baby.
Before you start tracking your menstrual cycle and reading up on the best positions to get pregnant, there are a few other things you may want to consider.
The biological father of baby Gammy has reportedly tried to access charity money raised for the little boy's medical costs.
Cricket legend Glenn McGrath and his second wife Sara are expecting their first child together, thanks to IVF and a delicate surgical sperm retrieval process that helped the couple to conceive.
The mother of disgraced wellness blogger Belle Gibson has accused her daughter of lying about her childhood in an attempt to garner public sympathy.
Life On Mars
We are all responsible for our own behaviour. Telling victims to harden up is wrong.
A new mum claims a doctor left his mobile phone inside her after delivering her baby via caesarean section.
I want my kids to know that no matter what happens in life, you can still be who it is that you've always wanted to be.
I had this innate 'mum' moment the other day.
Katherine's father will die in prison for the horrifying sexual abuse of his daughter. Yet she is the one with the true life sentence.
Baby Jai Bishop has lived at Starship Hospital for the past seven months, with his parents flying back and forth from Hokitika, 1100km away, to be by his side.
Mothers, babies, the health system and the wider society are going to pay the price of this new budget.
Working out what?s underlying your baby's fussiness can be a case of trial and error. Here are a few common causes and how you can remedy each one.
In today's society, never has it been harder to parent without judgment. But what about when judgment is coming from closer to home?
It's not a woman's job to teach violent men how to behave.
When I told my mothers? group that my husband and I had started trying for our second baby they told me I was crazy. Now I can see why.
New mum Sarah Sutton was faced with a shattering scenario no person should have to endure.
"It's a boy!" That's the phrase Kateri Schwandt has heard in labour delivery ward for the 13th time in her life.
Can't find time to get to the gym? It could be just as beneficial to put your baby in the stroller and go for a walk.
If the last time you assessed your health cover was five years ago, there?s a chance it may no longer suit your needs. To ensure it?s still right for your family, click here for seven questions to ask.
Top 5 Articles
It?s all very well to encourage women to work if they choose to, but how can the measures lead to increased workforce participation when women are once again left holding the baby?
After seven years of wishing, hoping, crying, punching pillows and shouting "why me?!", the end result is more than I ever thought possible.
Whether you're after a new car for a growing family, a bigger house, or are just fixing up your finances, here are the basics on borrowing.
A mum has shared a graphic photo of her skin cancer treatment as a warning to others.
We can certainly gain higher levels of happiness when we become parents, but the trick is to not get overwhelmed by the pressures of raising our kids.
It's obvious these people dote on their pets, but they're barking up the wrong tree.
My standards at home were never that high but having a two-year-old has taught me to be cool with chaos.
The numbers have been crunched and it's official: Australian parents are having a bit of an 'O' moment.
You'll soon be meeting your baby, but you've got one big task to get done first: setting up a comfy, calming nursery you'll both be able to enjoy.
A new form of activity testing will be introduced to ensure the highest subsidies go to parents who contribute the most to the workforce.
For women suffering from chronic morning sickness or hyperemesis gravidarum, pregnancy can be the roller coaster from hell.
I never actually went into labour - so by 42 weeks I was booked in for induction.
The death of Sophie Smith's triplet baby boys has motivated the half-marathon mother and her team to raise $1.25 million for charity.
Just like a horror movie ... THEY'RE BAAAAAACK. So what works in treating and avoiding head lice and nits?
A watched womb never labours ... or at least mine didn't.
Watching your child take their first wobbly steps is one of the best parenting highs you'll ever experience. But with that high comes a new reality.
My baby wasn't interested in food - until we tried something new. Now she's eating it all, and it often comes from my plate.
Rachelle Friedman Chapman was preparing to marry the man of her dreams when tragedy struck four years ago.
Top baby names
The numbers are in and we can now bring you the 2014 top baby name list for Australia.