Jump to content
3 replies to this topic
Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:16 PM
Not sure if anyone can help, but our backyard seems to have heaps of those huge ants that hurt when they bite. I'm highly allergic to things that bite and it's lucky I haven't been bitten yet but does anyone have any great tips on how to get rid of them? I'm reluctant to use things like ant sand as we have free ranged chickens, and I'm not sure that would work on them anyway. At the moment when we find a nest we are dropping fuel down the hole and setting them alight. They still seem to be everywhere though.
Any tips would be very appreciated!
Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 PM
My DH has been using the following methods and recipe to get rid of the green ants that live at our unit block. If there is a green ant anywhere it will find him and bite him. It has been personal for him to get rid of them!
If you can find the nest/s then:
1. Pour boiling water into the entrance hole.
2. Repeat treatment for three days in a row minimum.
3. Something like a steam cleaner can also be very effective (I have been told that using a steam cleaner can be good for spiders and other creepy crawlies. Very non-toxic.).
If you can't find the nest then I would try this:
Ant Trap Recipe:
Into a 600mL soft drink bottle add the following:
1. 300mL warm to hot deionised/purified water (they don’t like treated town water).
2. 100mL white vinegar (Woolworths home brand is fine).
3. 7 tablespoons of raw sugar.
4. 4 tablespoons of golden syrup.
5. 6 tablespoons of treacle.
6. 1 heaped teaspoon of vegemite or a teaspoon of dried yeast.
Shake to mix and ensure all components have dissolved. Ready to use immediately either outdoors or indoors.
1. You will need a small soft drink bottle ~600mL or smaller.
2. Punch holes ~pencil size or slightly larger in the top section of the bottle.
3. Fill the trap about 30% full with trap liquid.
4. You will need several trap bottles.
5. Place traps somewhere the ants seem to be congregating but where the kids and chooks won’t get to it. (The trap liquid is non-toxic but the chooks will probably want to eat it too due to the treacle component. I remember from growing up that they went crazy for molasses.)
6. You can also part-bury the bottle into the ground or put it inside a besser-block. This will help to hide it from the chooks and the ants like the dark.
7. The ants fall to their death and drown a sweet death.
8. No more ants.
1. Baby food-sized jar (no lid).
2. Place in the locations around the house where the ants are forming a trail.
3. Fill the bottle to about 1.5cm with ant trap liquid.
4. Watch the ant corpses pile up.
5. Change the liquid when there are too many ants in there for the trap to be able to drown them or the liquid has dried out.
Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:26 PM
They are great tips, thankyou so much for posting them!
Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:10 PM
Sprinkle talcum powder around. I've find that it gets rid of ants.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
Everyone loves a personalised Christmas present - especially those which have been lovingly created by little hands. These Christmas gifts are so easy that even your toddler will be able to make them.
Our friends at The Sun-Herald are giving you the chance to win a family pass to Taronga Zoo Sydney or Taronga Western Plains Zoo.
I?m not ready for my son to stop believing in Santa yet. But should I treat him like the intelligent and sensible boy that he is and tell the truth, or should I lie, with the good intentions of keeping the magic alive for just a little longer?
More than half a million lights, countless hours of work, a world record - and it's all for a good cause.
Doctors made a shocking discovery when they found a dandelion growing inside 16-month-old?s ear canal.
Introducing the new campaign to help mums and babies around Australia.
Despite safety campaigns by organisations such as Kidsafe, the number of children dying and being injured in driveway accidents has remained steady. One mother shares her story of loss and warns others to pay attention.
Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.
Fitness blogger and football wife Caroline Berg Eriksen has come under fire for posting a photo of her amazing post-baby body on Instrgram just four days after giving birth. She has defended the picture saying she is "proud" of what her body has achieved.
A pregnant woman had her baby taken by British social workers after a forced caesarean section - and the child has still not been returned to her.
When kids want something, they'll ask ... and ask ... and ask ... until you cave in. You can teach them to unlearn this annoying tactic by saying just three words.
Babies love getting their little gums around keys - but these ones are cleaner and more fun than the set on your key ring.
Top 5 Articles
Win one of 9 LEGO® DUPLO® Planes? ?Skippers? Flight School set for Christmas. Enter here for your chance to win.
Join Essential Baby and Aldi in celebrating Chrismas, with gift guides, the truth about Santa and how to manage christmas while pregnant + lots more.
Breaking Bad, The Great Gatsby and Game of Thrones are all inspiring baby names in the UK this year ? but royal names are on the decline.
To celebrate the launch of this gorgeous new baby skincare range, Essential Baby is giving our readers the chance to win one of ten Little Bairn Essentials Gift Packs.
For a limited time you can save 50% off when you gift unlimited access to The Age or SMH. It's the gift for those you love, who love to know.
Weird poses, surprise photobombs, bizarre editing: these are the wedding photos that should have never seen the light of day.
Here's a selection of vintage boys and girls monikers which have traditionally been used as either nicknames or given names, from the 1880s through to the 1950s.
Free Printable Activities
Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.