NZ in winter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 audrey_hepburn

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

We are going to NZ next July for a family holiday.  So far the only plans we have are to stay in Queenstown for a few nights as DH is going snowboarding for a few days.  Neither of us have been to NZ before and so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on things to see/do while we are over there.  DS will be 20months so they have to be child friendly activities too :-)  

#2 rowd

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Apart from Queenstown, which areas are you thinking of visiting? Where are you flying in/out of? I live in the North Island and have travelled around there quite a bit so happy to give recommendations for the North Island if you will be visiting there.  I haven’t covered much of the South Island so not much help there sorry.

#3 audrey_hepburn

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

We will be flying in to Christchurch and we'll have a car so we will be driving down to Queenstown.  We are only there for 10 days so we will just be staying on the south island.  To be honest, I'm not sure where else we should visit apart from Queenstown.  I'm getting some brochures from the travel agent next week but thought I'd just ask if anyone has any 'must see' places they recommend.  If we didn't have DS with us, we would probably do a lot of driving and go to as many places as we could but we don't want DS in being in the car every day for hours on end so I think we will have to limit the places we can visit.

#4 Grobanite

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I can't offer any suggestions on ideas  but please rug up. Even away from the snow it will be really really cold.

#5 Apageintime

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Visit Franx Josef Glacier. Probably walkable with a 20 month old. its quite spectacular

#6 audrey_hepburn

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Apageintime:  The glaciers were on my to do list but I was unsure if they would be suitable for DS.  Will definitely look into it more, thanks.

Grobanite:  I love the cold so I am looking forward to rugging up  original.gif  (I say that now but maybe after a few days there I would have changed my mind!)

#7 B.E.Y.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hubby and I went to Queenstown for 7 nights in Sept, so end of winter. It was AMAZING!!! Such a beautiful area!

Activities in and around Queenstown that I can recommend are;
Jetboating
Sky diving
Bungy (Do the big Nevis one ohmy.gif )
Skiing/boarding
Mini/putt putt golf
The old steam ship (cant remember what its called)
The buffet at the restaurant at the top of the mountain near town (the one you get to via gondolas) - unbelievable!!!

Also, I was looking into going again next year with friends, all of us with at least one child, and I discovered that Queenstown has fantastic child minding and nanny services, which are not too outrageously expensive so you could do a lot of the activities child free if you went that route.

Ive heard that Arrowtown is beautiful, and worth a drive to visit. And the glaciers are apparently spectacular too!

#8 Jekaho

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

We went with a 21 month old for three weeks on the South Island - but in October so it wasn't as cold as winter time. We flew in and out of Christchurch, and hired a car to go to Dunedin, Invercargill, Queenstown and back to ChCh. So that would be more driving than you are after, as our son is fine with driving - but there is plenty of to in ChCh, Queenstown and even Dunedin... also some of it is weather-dependant.

If you want a full list of what we did, let me know and I can post it.

Just wanted to say we stayed here in Queenstown and it was fantastic! Even had a toy box ready to go for our son.

#9 rowd

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

If you are flying into Christchurch you could do the drive over to Akaroa, it is easily a day trip, only about an hour and a half drive. It is a really picturesque little town and you can do boat trips in the harbour to go whale and dolphin watching.  There are lots of nice shops and cafes there as well.  

In Christchurch you should find plenty of things to do with a toddler.  The botanical gardens in the city centre are easy to walk around with lots to see, fountains etc.  You can take a gondola ride down the Avon River which winds through the city.  I haven’t been to Christchurch since the earthquake but there is an aquarium in Cathedral Square which I think is still open.  

In Queenstown you could go up the gondola and then down the luge, it is a low-speed scenic luge ride so should be fine for your 20 month old.  There are lots of tourist-y things to do in Queenstown but most are adult orientated, adventure-tourism type things.  There are a range of cruises you can do on the lake, or you could drive over to Wanaka for a cruise from there.  There are a few good day or half day trips to take from Queenstown – Arrowtown is an old colonial town and good for a look around.  Try Patagonia (in Arrowtown and in Central Queenstown) for amazing chocolates and desserts!

In regards to the cold it depends what you are used to but it won’t necessarily be too bad.  In Christchurch it will often be around 10-15 degrees throughout the day.  

I haven’t been myself but if you were up to the drives Nelson and Kaikoura would also both be great places to visit.  Nelson is the sunniest place in NZ so would be a nice escape from winter original.gif

#10 kiwi-girl

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

NZ in winter is beautiful. There is heaps to do in Queenstown and it really comes alive in winter.
The steam ship is a lovely outing http://www.zqn.co.nz/earnslaw/
Arrowtown is gorgeous and well worth a visit.
In Christchurch, while a lot of things have been affected by the earthquakes it is still s thriving city....the aquarium in Cathedral Square is no longer there but other animal things to visit would be Orana Wildlife Park or Willowbank. The central city has been revitalized with it's shops in shipping containers (very funky) and is well worth a visit even to see how the city has responded to the quakes.
Akaroa is a very easy drive from Christchurch for a day visit/overnight visit and you can go on boat cruises to see dolphins.
Hanmer Springs is an alpine town a couple of hours drive north from Christchurch but has an amazing hot pool complex that is awesome in winter - child friendly as well.
Enjoy your trip! NZ has lots of little great places to visit.

A good resource is the AA (Automobile Association) and may help you to plan a trip/what to see/where to stay
http://www.aa.co.nz/travel/activities-attractions/

#11 audrey_hepburn

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Arrowtown sounds like somewhere I would like to visit.  I have a few things to research now, can't wait to plan our trip!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.