Do you/your children go to every event you are invited to?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ekbaby

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

It's that time of year when there are a lot of birthday/party/end of year event invitations. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the amount of things we have scheduled.

Obviously there are times when you are invited to two things on the same time/day- in those situations I go to the person who invited me first, and send my apologies for the other.

Do you ever decline invitations when you don't necessarily have something clashing though, just because that might be the only free time you have in a week? Or because you know your kids are going to be exhausted if you take them to 5 things in one weekend?

Eg one day we have been invited to a morning, midday and early evening thing- it's technically possible to go to all three, but would be an exhausting day running from one thing to the next, DS2 would just have a micro-sleep in the car and then be really cranky by the 4pm thing... [I am not normally too fussy about my kids sleep but usually when it's just one thing, you can compensate in other areas... eg they don't have a day sleep, but you can put them to bed early, etc]

[I'm probably a bit more stressed than usual as it's also an incredibly busy time with DP's work so she literally sees the kids about 1-2 times a week at the moment and we really need a little bit of "down time" for her to reconnect with them on her one day off, plus do all the stuff around the house that builds up during the week]

I don't want to dissapoint anyone, because I know how dissapointing it can be if you organise a party for your child and not many people turn up, and I want their child to have a happy day. At the same time sometimes I think the tradition is to invite everyone from the playgroup/mothers group etc- so that no-one feels left out and that everyone is welcome- but the hosts are not necessarily expecting everyone to come (eg a group email sent out or everyone on facebook invited). I know for example when my DS1 was younger I would tend to either invite no-one or everyone from a playgroup, for this reason, but generally only about 1/2 the people would come.

Can anyone give some tips as to what the etiquette is here? Obviously leaving people hanging with no RSVP and then "dumping" someone's party for "something better" would be a big no. Is it ok to decline things when you don't technically have a clash, but are already committed to a couple of things that weekend and need to squeeze in some other jobs [Christmas shopping etc] ? Or is that rude ? Does it depend on how well you know the person, type of invite, type of event etc?

#2 Bam1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

To me its pretty simple, I try to go to everything I can for the kids but there is a limit. If for whatever reason (too busy, too much etc) its not possible to go, I RSVP that we can't go.

I'm with Ferdinand as well, time is so limited on the weekends and if 2 events clash, I will choose the one that the family will enjoy more (unless its a family event)

Edited by Bam1, 22 November 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#3 SeaPrincess

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

I think it depends on how important the event is, whether that be the occasion, the person/people, whether the whole family is involved or whether we can divide and conquer..... So many things to consider.

For us, birthdays at this time of year are very important - we have a December birthday, so I'm conscious of that and if anyone is invited to a birthday party, I will take them, but if we were all invited to 3 things on one day, we'd probably not do them all.  I'm not afraid of sending DH off to something without me though, so we might do that.

Most important is to let them know though.

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Double post.

Edited by shmach, 22 November 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#5 zogee

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

I wouldn't be taking my kids to 3 events in one day, it would guarantee a meltdown (from them and me!) wink.gif I usually try to take dd to friends birthdays if possible but if it clashes with something important that I have planned I might say no.
You sound like a very considerate person but its ok to put limits on socializing and prioritise family time (and chill out time!) original.gif

#6 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (shmach @ 22/11/2012, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it depends on how important the event is, whether that be the occasion, the person/people, whether the whole family is involved or whether we can divide and conquer..... So many things to consider.

For us, birthdays at this time of year are very important - we have a December birthday, so I'm conscious of that and if anyone is invited to a birthday party, I will take them, but if we were all invited to 3 things on one day, we'd probably not do them all.  I'm not afraid of sending DH off to something without me though, so we might do that.

Most important is to let them know though.

This.    I have 4 children with birthdays in December so I am conscious of that.   We also divide and conquer.  We will often sit down and work out : "okay if you take dd to the party and on the way drop ds at basketball, then I will take so and so and so and so to their party and to the school picnic" etc then we all meet up at the end of the day completely exhausted.

#7 ekbaby

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Ok so if you can't go to something "just because" what do you tell the host?

schmach I know what you mean about December birthdays... almost all of one side of our family has Dec birthdays (which adds to the things, but then I also know what it's like for the kids who want to have parties then, so feel bad for the little kids we know who have birthdays now)

#8 aprilrain

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

It depends, if 2 children from the same class on the one day I would try to go to both.  If we don't go I would have RSVP'd and I send a gift. I know most people probably wouldn't think it necessary, but I like to.

I think a balance is important with family life and saying you're already committed is fine.

It would depend on how well my child knows the inviter and if your D1 is in primary I would take invites more seriously as it is an opportunity to meet parents that you might like to get to know better too, as well as I think friends and friendship groups mean more to children at this age.

For a primary child I would be happy to ask another parent to take my child with her's if I had a sleeper. Friends do these things for each other rolleyes.gif

edited for my shocking spelling and now realise that my smiling face at the end is 'rolling eyes'!

Edited by aprilrain, 22 November 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#9 vintage.blue

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I try to go to everything, but also try to limit outings on the weekend to just one. We need down time too!

Saying that though, my sons at the moment have SEVEN invitations to parties in the next 3 weeks. Just in time for me to have our third baby!?! argh. We are going to try to get to them all just so they don't miss out.

#10 Cacti

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (ekbaby @ 22/11/2012, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Sorry, we can't make it. Hope you have a fun day!"

#11 Julie3Girls

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'm really sorry, but we won't be able to make it. Hope X has a great party

3 events on one day .. honestly, it's going to depend on what they are.  Can we split up and go to different events?  If I have young kids, where are the events - if one of them is a home party and the child can sleep there?

We've hit multiple parties on the one day. As an occasional thing, I do try and manage to do all of them, particularly now when most of the parties are smaller parties, rather than whole class affairs.

We had one day a few months ago - DD2 had 2 parties, 1:30-4 and 2:30-4:30. We had a big talk about it. One of the other girls who was also invited to both decided to do both parties - left the first party early and got to the second party late.  As DD1 had also been invited to the second party, we decided the DD2 would go to the whole of the first party, and say no to the second (they still got one of my kids LOL). But could still wish her friend a happy birthday when we turned up to pick up DD1.

Luckily, by now most of the school parties are ok - we all tend to have a vague idea of when parties are going to be on, for their close friends. And we do have a couple where the birthdays are within a couple of days of each other, and we have learnt to coordinate.  

Whatever you choose, just make sure you RSVP.  having someone not come can be disappointing, but it's much much worse if they are sitting waiting and you simply don't show up.

#12 Spa Gonk

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Just tell the host you have a busy weekend and will not be able to make it.  They really only want to know if you will there or not, not that johnny down the road has a party on at the same time and he invited you first.

I are an effort for the kids to go to all parties.  But this is because I know they enjoy them.  If I thought it was too much or had something else I would rather be doing I would just say no.

#13 Holidayromp

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

We have this very thing happening on Saturday.  It is going to be a big day and one that which requires alot of organisation - as it is DD1 will miss about 30 minutes of her party.

However both girls have been warned that they could miss any further birthday parties etc because we are very busy from now right up to Christmas/New Year.

#14 Leggy

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I just tell people that sorry, that weekend is already full. No need to specify that one of the things filling up time is a nap for the sake of everybody's sanity!

#15 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

I used to try and "kid-pool" with other parents  e.g. I would drop off mine and one or two others and other parent would pick them up or if it was a little kid's party would either try to off-load mine onto another parent or take an extra child with me. I laways felt that there would be plenty of family catch up time after the silly season finished.

#16 JustBeige

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Do you ever decline invitations when you don't necessarily have something clashing though, just because that might be the only free time you have in a week? Or because you know your kids are going to be exhausted if you take them to 5 things in one weekend?
Yep absolutely.  We started doing that when they were little and out of sorts if they spent too long away from their own beds.    We just keep it up now as we like our own family time.

Its always the way though - Murphys Law I think.   You can sit at home for weekends in a row, then bang, 6 things scheduled all on one weekend.

#17 katniss

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Of course it's not always possible to go to everything. But as the PP's have said, the most important thing is to RSVP. You don't need to give a reason, just as long as you let them know. I'm still astounded that so many people don't RSVP. A friend of mine ATM is still chasing up people for her DD's 1st birthday this weekend. So rude.

#18 EsmeLennox

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Why do people think they need to give a reason as to why they won't be thre ? I just say 'sorry we can't make it.'

My kids generally go to any parties they are invited to unless the invitation is from a random kid whom they have every little to do with, and it's an 'invite everybody in the class' party, or if they must don't want to go which sometimes happens.

Edited by Jemstar, 22 November 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#19 libbylu

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

We are invited to so many things - DH particularly because he has a large social group, but myself as well and we turn down more things than we attend.  A lot of them are casual invites like a friend texted me tonight - she is going to a show on Sunday evening, would I like to come? (I know I will be too tired, so texted back to say so), Another sent a group email about going to a Japanese bathhouse on Sunday afternoon - again, I can't go because we'll be at my parent's place.
With kids things there are less, but we often get a message on a weekend morning from one school friend or antoher asking if we want to join them at a park or playcentre for a quick play and often have to turn it down - often simply because we have something on that afternoon and it get's to overwhelming to have appointments back to back.  Birthday parties we will always try to make it to unless they completely clash or we are away for the weekend, or DS is sick.
If I really don't want to go or just need some quiet time and need an excuse I usually say 'we've got a family thing on".  Which is true in a way, as we will be doing something as a family.

Edited by libbylu, 22 November 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#20 Ianthe

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

if there is too much on I will decline. It has taken me a long time to be ok doing that though. My 3yos preschool party is on a Fri night at a disco. I thought initially he could go but then decided that he is not really a party kid and that he doesn't need to go. We then got an invitation for something else though so luckily I did say no.

#21 mez70

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

We do try to attend as much as possible but also are fine with the fact that sometimes things happen and you can't be in two places at once. This year I am really clamping down on Dec I am not doing 3 and 4 things in a day (we have done in the past). A couple of years ago I had 1 Saturday that months out I planned to have a dinner for my Birthday on a group of girls and I were going out for a nice meal and catch up..... Well in the weeks leading up to it we then ended up with 2 very close friends kids parties and DH's work Christmas Party all on that day.. I swear we spent more time in the car going between venues than we did at each function and by the time I got to dinner I was ready for bed lol...

Now I have a set limit on things and have already bailed out of one thing ( I was attending a gingerbread house workshop with the kids, but will grab my kit and we will do it at home) as it has fallen on the same day as a friends surprise birthday thing and DH's work kid's Christmas Party. I have purposely kept the following day free, then the following weekend I know there are 2 things on DH will take the kids to one and I will head to the other on my own once again keeping the Sunday free. What with Christmas and sport break ups I already have a fullish month so will be not taking on much more especially as my DD has been really ill recently so I don't want to run her into the ground.

Last year I noticed that with school not finishing until Dec 22 the older 2 were so fried and overwrought by Christmas that this year we are really pulling back on everything and DH and I were even mooting running away for a few days with the kids camping before Christmas just to veg (trying to work out a time we can though and not miss important stuff at school.

This year the priority is Family, school/ sports, inner circle of friends and then extended family and social circle. The main thing is to RSVP and no you don't need to say why just say can't make it or prior commitments. My aim is to reach Christmas as calmly and mellow as I can..

#22 *LucyE*

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

I only attend events I want to attend, even if I have no reason to not attend except that I don't want to.

This.

And as PPs have said, you don't need to justify yourself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Why I don't breastfeed

The truth was, when it came to feeding my baby son, I didn't want to see milk coming from anywhere but the shops.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.