Financial goals for 2013 anyone? Edit: time for an update!

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 *JAC*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

I used to be such a good budgeter, but this year I've really let it go. I really want to get back on the wagon next year - clean slate and all that.

My goals for 2013:
Pay off the CC (approx. 1200-1500)
Put some savings back in the bank (at least 2k)
All bills back up to being in credit/budgeted for
New blinds in the house
House painted (inside)

It may not seem like a lot, however we have 3 kids - all in fulltime childcare (1 long daycare & 2 OSHC) as DH and I are both FT), plus Christmas, birthdays etc. - our money seems to disappear too quickly!  Plus I'd love to be able to tick them off and start again - anything extra we achieve is a bonus!

Do you have any goals for next year?

Edited by *JAC*, 13 April 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#2 Charlie & Lola

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

YES!

Credit card repaid = $1000
School Fees for daughter paid in full at start of year = $7000
All Bills budgeted for and payments ahead
Extra $10K off mortgage

Then:
A holiday
Security screen door
Bedroom makeover for Master Bedroom
Christmas 'done' by October

*It will help that I am returning to full time work and will also receive a $20,000 redundancy before the end of this year but we really need to stay on track and use the extra $ wisely not just spend it all on cr*p.

#3 zande

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

Yep, was just doing these up on my spreadsheet!

Pay off Ccard = $2,600
Clear tax bill (left over from business income)
Get gutters replaced
First "real" family holiday (that involves flying somewhere)
Increase mortgage payment

2013 should be the year we get our heads above water and clear the last of the hangovers from running a business  hands.gif

#4 GamerMum

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

1. Pay off the personal loan ($6000)
2. Get ahead on the car loan.
3. Save at least half of a house deposit, if not more (full deposit is $20k)
4. Remain up to date/ahead of the bills.

It's going to be tough. I'm not working and it's not looking like I'll find something,. If by some miracle I do, childcare fee's will eat it so I'll have no excess anyway.

We have to try. We aren't going backwards now, but we aren't going forwards either. I'm sick of living in financial limbo.

#5 Suz01

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Good thread!

I want to pay off credit cards (you don't want to know how much!)

Save a deposit on a business premises

Save a nest egg $10k

Continue to put money aside for kids saver accounts.

#6 giggleandhoot

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

i'd love a new car - will be classed as a business car and leased.
I'd love for us to hire someone so we can go on a real holiday. Kids want to go to the snow so have to save up for a weekend there...longer if we can hire by then!
I'd love to save enough to do our outdoor area and my walk in robe need to be re-done.
Rest goes on home and business loan.
Want a savings by end of year min of $30, 000.

#7 julzely

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Next year is a major saving year for us as this year we got married and did some work around the house.

Our goal is to get our mortgage below $250k. It is going to be tight but I'm pretty sure we can do it.

#8 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Pay off my credit card debt....it's $10,000 (and change)... Yikes.....

#9 (feral)epg

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

1. Have baby
2. Rely on DP financially for 6-12 months.

This is the first year I HAVEN'T had my own financial goals and it's really freaking me out to be honest.

#10 MintyBiscuit

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

We have a few for next year

1. Pay off the personal loan. There's $3.5k left on it, and with our mortgage repayments just dropping recently we should be able to get it paid off by the end of March, which is two years earlier than the original term biggrin.gif

2. An additional $10k on the mortgage (it's the max we can pay extra while on a fixed rate)

3. $3-5k for the backyard. It's a massive yard and lots to do, but I really want it to finally get done so that I feel safe having DS play out there

4. We want to go on a cruise in early 2014, so saving for that will be high on the agenda.

#11 cas8cas

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Fingers crossed we can refiance and if so i want to

1) pay off my loan to mum and dad ($3600)
2) reno our bathroom ( atm its a shower and sink i want a bath lol )
3) replace our patio
4) have some savings for next xmas ( if i pay off my loan to my parents that gives me an extra $400 per month so will save at least $200 p/m + part of my baby bonus will also go in there ( the account i have i cant touch until 1st nov unless i wanna pay $15 per transaction))

#12 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Knock over as much as possible on the mortgage.  We're really very nearly mortgage free and the house is nearly fully reno'ed so it's time to knuckle down and just do it.

#13 *maddierose*

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

This year has been a sh*t year with everything blowing up, needing replacing from computers X 3 to oven, dyson,  hot water system ahhh the list is actually about 12 things long.

And renovating.

Next year our main goal is to

pay off cc

And to get our savings back up that have really been eaten into thiis year.

solar panels

finish some renovating including up stairs floor areas, bedrooms x 4, bathroom and kitchen.

If there is much left over to pay nto mortgage.

Edited by belnryan, 22 November 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#14 countrychic29

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Have enough savings in the bank by April to give me a minimum of 6 months maternity leave (DH is uni student & part time so very hard to live off one wage)
Today i have just paid off the last of of credit cards woohoo after years of lingering debt so im looking to 2013 as starting fresh and being smarter with our money original.gif

Continue trying to get our mortgage under 350K ... so close now.

#15 Broxie

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Pay of credit card
Buy car
Continue to save for Disneyworld holiday
Finish downstairs renovations

#16 laridae

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

1. Pay off the car loan (about $10,00 to go) - eta at the latest, September (I have it all calculated out...), at the earliest, April (but will require redrawing some from the mortgage, but will mean we can put the amount we have been paying on the car loan onto the mortgage instead).
2. Finishing renovating the 2 spare bedrooms (one will become the master bedroom, one will become the playroom).  This is mostly just work as we already bought the paint.  But will be probably about $2000 for carpet or to polish the floorboards (if I can talk DH into not having carpet in there!  We don't have carpet anywhere else in the house...)
3.  Saving up to go on a trip the year after (which in reality will be putting more on the mortgage until we've got enough & then redrawing).
4. Maybe saving so we can have a #2... maybe...

#17 Beancat

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

I love these threads.  I am returning to work in January for 4 months between bub 2 and 3.

In that time I want to pay of credit cards (about 6K) and save about $5K before I finish work.  Should be able to do it but will have 2 kids in cc which kills our budget

#18 Veryclucky

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

I have a few goals but most are dependant on DH getting a new job as he is currently unemployed after a redundancy in September.

1. Pay off his laptop (purchased interest free until Nov 2013) - we have the money for this but just making it work for us in offset until before then as we aren't required to make monthly repayments.

2. Increase our mortgage payments back to what we were paying previously ($600 instead of $500) and then depending on his new wage, increase to $650.

3. As part of the above, get mortgage under $300k (about $18,000 to go).

4. Have enough money set aside to pay for me to have 12months off work when we pregnant which fingers crossed will happen soon

5. Replace fences and finish backyard (money is mainly set aside for fences but cost has gone up and only one person has bothered to come and quote so far).

6. Get back to budgeting properly and not overspending on the incidentals like lunch and snacks at work.

7. Start saving towards a big holiday somewhere in 2014. Where will depend on how much we have, where DH is working (leave and money) and if we have a child by then.

Big goals but fingers crossed if DH gets a job in the next couple of months we will be able to meet most of them by using the rest of his payout to do this rather then just on living expenses as we are doing now to supplement my income as I only earn enough to pay the mortgage, travel (train and car) expenses and most of our food. Bills and other big expenses come out of the payout so we are trying to minimise these

#19 Fluster

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

We're trying to save $25-30k to finish the last, huge, renovation item.  I don't think it will happen (quite) but if we can't save at least $15k we're seriously doing too much spending.

#20 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

figure out how much I need to live on to take a year off to study to change career direction

#21 Sif

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

This year I have managed to get us to a place where we have no debt and have credit on some utility accounts. Was really hoping we'd be in our own home (with MIL) next year and would finally be able to start saving instead of struggling to keep head above water from week to week, but right now it's not looking very likely (MIL is vacillating).

So for now, next years goal is to stay out of debt and keep paying rent and bills on time and basically living within our means.

#22 Suz01

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Good thread!

I want to pay off credit cards (you don't want to know how much!)

Save a deposit on a business premises

Save a nest egg $10k

Continue to put money aside for kids saver accounts.

#23 WYSIWYG

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

I don't even want to think about it! Moving house next year, into a house we have built, so there is going to be A LOT of spending!! I don't think I could compile a list, it would be never ending!

#24 qak

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

We are on track to pay off the mortgage in 2013! original.gif
January and June are always shocking bill months though  :-(

#25 JillyJellyBean

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Ill be delighted if we can continue to pay off the mortgage as we are going one income only for 6 months. Its terrifying, I think we have been spoilt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.