Mealtimes getting me down
19-month-old fussy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 runnybabbit

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

We did BLW with our little boy and he used to love veggies... until he discovered fruit.

Some days nothing green passes his lips. sad.gif It's not a palate issue, it's a sitting down to mealtime issue. If I let him play and snack he'll happily eat half an avocado. If I offer him the same thing at dinnertime (we eat with him at 5.45 pm and usually all have the same thing) he throws it.

I made some zucchini and cheese muffins for him; he devoured one after swimming in the morning. But when I put the exact. same. thing. on his tray at lunchtime, he just threw it and was generally a bit of a rat!

Breakfast is usually Vitabrits soaked in milk with 0.5-1 banana. He usually eats that well. Then morning tea he has fresh fruit, usually about a cup full.

Lunch time I've tried offering chicken/mayo/cheese sandwiches, ham/cheese sandwiches, cream cheese sandwiches, tuna/cheese sandwiches etc. Sometimes he accepts them, sometimes he doesn't. The only surefire hit is peanut butter and honey, which he gets when he's sick or teething, usually.  rolleyes.gif Afternoon tea is another cup or so of fresh fruit.

Dinner time -- he does love bolognaise and I have worked in quite a bit of carrot and zucchini into that, but he doesn't have it more than twice a week because, well, jeepers, the mess! I've tried tuna mornay, chicken pinwheels, homemade sausages rolls, etc. He finds pastry tasty and interesting (he likes to crumble the flakes and completely make a huge mess).

He just seems to want fruit and yoghurt. He's on a Flixotide inhaler and he gets about 2 tbsp of natural yoghurt as a reward after he has his inhaler after breakfast and after dinner. Sometimes after he has that and asks for more, I say "No more," and he cries. sad.gif

The constant mealtime rejection is getting me down! I don't really want him to eat while playing for lunch and especially dinner, as he just smears food everywhere. I'm happy for him to graze his morning and afternoon tea, but for mealtimes we really want to encourage sitting down and eating together. Sometimes he just rejects food out of hand, and after being offered the same thing for the 23498652th he finally eats it and goes, "More! MORE!" Aaaaaaaaaaagh.

What else can I be doing here? Or should we just keep going and wait for him to get to, er, a more reasonable developmental stage?

#2 crankybee

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Maybe he's just not hungry at the end of the day? If he is healthy and his weight isn't an issue, don't worry. Some days my daughter doesn't eat much at dinner and I remind myself that she knows how hungry  she is or isn't better than me!

#3 julie1jet

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hi

I dont really have any advice other than to say it will "probably" improve in time.

My son was the same, he is nearly 5 and eats just about everything I give him, and tells me how nice it is, including lovely moaning while he eats LOL.

On the other hand my nearly 3 year old, is just like your little one.

Emi is such a terrible eater, refuses so much food that I put in front of her. I always ask her to try it, but I choose my battles now, and dinner time isnt one of them.

I hide veges in spag bol, and sausage rolls , sometimes she will eat them sometimes not.  Ive started to follow through with nothing else if you dont eat it, and I leave the plate in front of her and she usually picks and starts to eat.

With my son, I found that giving him the evening meal at lunch time helped and he ate more for me that way.

So not really very much advice for you.

Hope things get easier soon,

Julie

Edited for typos its been a longgggg day!

Edited by julie1jet, 21 November 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#4 runnybabbit

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

Thank you. We'll just keep going, I think. We do generally have a "policy" of what's being on offer is what's available -- we don't keep offering a second or third option. If he doesn't like what's for lunch or dinner then he can have a smaller meal that time.

It's just frustrating though! He looks very skinny (but not sickly!) and was 25th percentile for weight (down from 50th previously) at 12 months but I haven't gotten him checked since, maybe I will soon. original.gif

I don't want mealtimes to become a bribe/bargain stressy thing, as, well, it's three times a day, every day! So I am just going to suck it up, try and cook healthily, and keep on cleaning. sad.gif

#5 Cranky Kitten

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I don't want mealtimes to become a bribe/bargain stressy thing, as, well, it's three times a day, every day! So I am just going to suck it up, try and cook healthily, and keep on cleaning.

It's all you really can do. At 19 months they're entering the charming stage of flexing their own will and refusing food is part of that. Pretty soon the word No will be your most hated word wink.gif

Your job as mum is to keep offering healthy meals and snacks, their job as kids is to decide whether or not they're going to eat it. I found with DD the more I got wound up about it, the fussier she was as it paid off with a reaction. So when she'd reject a meal (or worse, toss it off the high chair table) I'd calmly clear it away with a shrug and an "oh well, guess you're not hungry". Later if she decided she wanted food, if there was anything salvable from the last meal I'd offer that, or it'd be a healthy sandwich or similar instead.

I also found it helped to look at her eating habits over a week rather than a day - often she'd eat more at breakfast so I'd make sure this had plenty of variety with some days being cereal, other days egg on toast or veggie pancakes etc. She'd also sometimes have off days where she wouldn't eat much at all but would make up for it the next day. So long as she was happy in herself and alert/busy it was all good.

#6 runnybabbit

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Cranky Kitten @ 22/11/2012, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your job as mum is to keep offering healthy meals and snacks, their job as kids is to decide whether or not they're going to eat it.

Thanks, Cranky Kitten. I think I just needed to hear that I'm not alone and to keep persevering. Today was day care Thursday so I made a spinach loaf with mushrooms and cheese and he quite liked that; also made some butternut pasta sauce and he ate that once he'd thrown it off his tray and we fed him what was on the floor.

So we'll keep plodding along, as it seems it's the only thing to do. original.gif

#7 chickendrumstick

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Maybe put more vegies on offer with his fruit snacks so he begins to associate them together? Or swap one of his fruit snacks for vegies?

#8 Escapin

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Maybe try the main meal at lunch time, when he's less tired and more likely to try it?

Also, what time is dinner? I'd try 30 mins or even an hour earlier, and then a little snack (maybe yoghurt) a bit later. Or even not bother with the snack. As an example, DD (19mo) has dinner at 4pm, sleep at 5:30 and then breakfast at 7am the next morning.

#9 Lil Chickens

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

My 16mo has just started to flex his will - he refused dinner the other night but pointed to the fridge for two fruits (his nightly dessert).  I took him from his high chair and he went to bed without anything else (he had eaten like a horse that day so I knew he wasn't hungry).  He slept till 7am as usual.

The following night he said no and pushed the plate away, pointed to the fridge.  I said not unless you eat dinner.  He ate it.

Tonight he tipped the last few mouthfuls out on his messy mat and wanted dessert, I said no dessert unless you finish and scopped it back up.  He ate it.

I have been much tougher with DS on this than we were with DD.  DD ate most of her meals at this age with a toy distracting her because DH thought she would stave if she went without (I wanted to take the plate away and be tough then too but I caved).  nI'm not caving this time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.