Anyone ever been induced?
What was it like?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_- Poppy -_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

I have developed GD and bub has grown too big and they are going to induce me early because if he goes full term his is probably not going to be able to fit.

Im a bit scared of being induced, I really really wanted a natural birth no drugs.

My questions are:

When you were induced, what did they do? Are you hooked up to an IV or any other kind of drip?

If you are induced is your birth still classed as a natural birth?

Is it a good idea to get an epidural? I have heard being induced is very painfull and scary because you go from 0 - 100 and you dont have time to adjust so its a good idea to get an epidural.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Bomber girl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

I was induced with my second. I had the drip and it was quite intense and quick (3hrs , 1st was 14) I had no drugs and it was ok. It was not my worst birth

#3 Duck-o-lah

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

I went into labour naturally, but needed a bit of a hurry up, so was induced. I had a syntocin drip, so yes, hooked up to an IV the whole time. In terms of pain relief, I requested an epidural quite early on in the piece, but the MW kept saying it was too early, so I imagine it would be something you could decide as you go.
Good luck original.gif

#4 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I was induced for my first and had my second naturally.

I was induced because my waters had been broken for 4 days with no labour (I was close to term). I went straight on a drip.

I'm not sure whether it's a natural birth. In my second pregnancy it was just about whether it was vaginal or c-section.

If I had another induction I would ask for an epi as soon as they would give me one, in fact it was in my birth plan second time around!

I didn't even really realise I was in labour with my second as the intensity was so much less. When transition hit I thought labour was starting and freaked out about the pain original.gif

I'm not trying to scare you. Just telling you my honest experience. Other people will give you ideas too and there are definitely some people where they didn't feel natural vs induced labour was any different original.gif

Good luck with your impending birth!

#5 laridae

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Yes, I was induced.  They put me on a drip, put monitoring on my belly, broke the rest of my waters (the hind waters broke naturally but they reckoned it was taking to long for labour to start afterwards - so the helped by inducing).
Then they put in the syntocin and it went from whoa to go pretty quickly.

Still classed as a natural birth original.gif

I won't lie, it is very full on, you don't really get much of a break between contractions, and they ramp up very quickly.  I didn't have an epi though.  They did give me the pethadine shot, and in hindsight, I think it would have been better without it.  It just made me very out of it, but still had all the pain.

All over pretty quickly though - induction started about 8 am, DD was out before 2pm.

Edited by laridae, 21 November 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#6 sarahec

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I was in hospital for three days prior to induction, they tried to induce labour through giving me a pessary. Then on the third day they put the drip in. I was in so much pain!! I wanted to die. I had an epi and the rest was fine. Two of my friends were induced about the same time as me and neither had epis or that much pain. I think it depends. My baby was 4.38kg, so a biggish baby.I guess I would classify it as natural? You are hooked to a drip and a machine that monitors the baby so you can't move much. Well I couldn't.From what I remember it was day one pessary to dilate cervix, day 2 balloon catheter to dilate cervix, day 3 doctor broke waters and drip was put in.

#7 Fyn Angelot

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I was induced because DD was 11 days overdue and there was no sign of labour starting spontaneously.

There are different methods of induction; I had my membranes ruptured and a syntocinon drip.  

As I understand it, (I am so not the expert on this stuff), purists will classify a natural birth as one with no interventions, but someone who is induced can - and generally does - have a vaginal birth.

Look, the approach I took to pain relief was, "Don't rule anything out, take it as it comes and see what I need at the time."  I was induced at about 8am, and I had an epidural at about 4pm.  I didn't find the pain unmanageable until about 2pm (when I started using gas), and I didn't find the build up overwhelming or scary.  I did lose the plot a bit after they gave me a shot of pethidine (about 3pm), but I think that was as much to do with the pethidine as anything else.  

I loved my epidural and had no problems or side effects with it; but you need to weigh up for yourself the risks involved.  From my point of view the great benefit was that it didn't just take away the pain, it also gave me back the ability to take in what was going on around me, respond to the people trying to help me, and work with them; from debriefing with my ob and my midwife (separately) later, I believe that without the epidural I would have ended up with an emergency Caesar, just because I was too out of it with the pain/confusion at that point to be able to do anything to help myself.

Oh, I recommend using a TENS - I found it great in the earlier stages before I started with the gas.

#8 -Belinda-

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

I was induced with my first due to high BP.
Broke my waters about 9am, went for a big walk and put on the drip about 12. Contractions kicked in at 12.30pm.
Was able to stand up (with drip attached) to rock, have a shower etc.
First 3 hours were OK, next 3 hours were more intense but only used gas for pain relief.
Pushed DD out at 6.30pm, it took about 30 mins.

Waters broke naturally with my second, labour was more painful (posterior) and ended in C-section about 4 hours later when bub became distressed for unknown reasons. Total opposite!

Good luck, you'll be fine.

Edited by -Belinda-, 21 November 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#9 tanyak1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

I was indued with my 1st and 3rd babies.

First - I was about 3cm dialated beforehand (didn't feel anything). The OB recommended I have an epidural straight away as DD was posterior. So I got the epidural put in, syntocin drip started, and waters broken - can't remember the sequence of events but one procedure after the other. I pretty much didn't feel a thing for the 10 hours, the midwives told me when to push. Ended up having a forceps delivery (I think more due to DD's posterior position, she didn't turn).

Second induction/3rd baby - 3cm dialated again. Water was broken and the midwife had me walk around for a bit to try and start labour, nothing happened so after about an hour they started the drip. From first contraction to birth was 2 1/2 hours, it was hard and painful and I used only gas, but I knew I could handle it as I only had gas for (non-induced) DD2. The induced labour was harder and more painful but because it was quick it was not so bad.

#10 Bunbaker

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I was induced with all 3 of my kiddies.
Mainly due to their size and mine. My first was induced 4 days before due date.
I had the gel applied the night before at around 10pm and started getting crampy through the night and then labour began at 9am. I had a 9 hour pretty straight forward labour. I would say it progressed well and steady. I had pethedine with her although didn't like the feeling of that.
I was then induced at 37weeks and 6 days with bub 2 and he was my easiest labour/birth. I had my waters broken and then drip. This was a drug free labour and also steadily progressed.
Baby 3 was induced at 38weeks was 6.5 hours. I was induced with gel and I was in labour within 15mins (before the middy had even left the room lol). Again a drug free labour and fairly straight forward. They had to break my waters at 4cm as they were bulging and this made my contractions very intense and I went from 4cm to 10 in a matter of half an hour. This was very painful but I managed and that really didn't have anything to do with being induced.

Don't believe everyones stories that being induced means it will be more painful or go from 0-100 quickly. It will depend on you and your bub. I am hoping next bub I will go into labour naturally but I cannot go past 38 weeks now so I will be limited time wise.

Good luck and hope all goes smoothly xx

#11 Born Three

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

I was induced at 37 weeks for my third pregnancy.

They started off with rupturing my membranes. The assumption was that I would go straight into labour due to two previous, quick births.

After 4 hours nothing had happened so they started me on the drip. The dose was low and increased every 20 minutes. It was gradual and took many hours before I started contracting.

I was on the drip for 6 hours before I started getting strong contractions (5 mins apart, 1 min duration). Baby was born 1.5 hours later.

I didn't use any pain relief.

I was on a monitor the whole time so my mobility was restricted. The monitor was wireless so I could walk around the room with the drip in tow.

Unfortunately I couldn't use the bath or shower for pain relief do that was disappointing.

Due to the slow and steady increase in the drip I didn't go from 0 to 100. The labour didn't differ greatly from previous ones however the sensation was different as it was all artificial not hormonally driven. Pain wise it was more painful but that was probably more to do with the number of stretches I had due to an unfavourable cervix.

I opted for no epidural as I had read there was a higher incidence of further intervention. In the end tho you do what you need to do to get by ... There are no medals handed out for pain relief free births.

#12 Ice Queen

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

2 pregnancies and 2 inductions.     Both started with gels on the cervix to get things going and then onto the drip which sets things in motion VERY VERY fast!  On both occasions I called the epi very early, before the drip and before the 'established labour' had actually started.  Small confession......I never even felt labour with DS.  I have read some people on EB saying they were told it was too early for the epi.  My OB was fine with me having it early.  

So IV's, loads of intervention etc etc.  Did I care?  Nah but I was never someone who was all hung up on natural, no pain relief etc, I couldnt have cared less TBH.  Maybe thats why I was happy with both my births, I had no expectations and pretty damm happy to get through fairly pain free.

It is all fine but do your research, discuss the steps with your OB and insist on 'keeping things moving' is my only advice.  Good luck.

#13 MrsMumma

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I was induced a 40w+10. They broke my waters, once there was not action the put the drip in, this got things moving. It is my only labour so I have nothing to compare it with. My labour was 11 hours clinical and probably 13 hours in total from the first contraction to the last, I had an epidural 7 hours in. I delivered a 9'6, prosterior babe with no tears. I dont buy into the whole labour journey... i got a healthy babe in my arms at the end. That is all I care about.

#14 Buggylicious

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

I was induced with DS 2 rounds of gels and them an ARM, it wasn't that bad I had a bit of gas and labour lasted 5hrs.

I went in to labour on my own with DD and labour was 2.5hrs the contractions with her were much harder and faster, it still wasn't that bad just some gas once I got to hospital.

#15 AnnBB

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

I was induced at 39w 4d as I had GD. My GD was borderline and controlled well with diet. There was some slight concern that DD would be a little chubby so they induced (she wasn't by the way).
When I was induced I was already 3-4 cms and 'ready to go'. I wanted to have my waters broken, be given some time to see if I went into labour on my own. Instead they broke my waters and I was given 30 mins to see what happened before they started the drip. I was kind of pushed into it by the very pushy midwife ( which I had been warned about). If I have to be induced again, I will insist that I be given time to see if I progress naturally without the drip.
If you are on the drip, it is the policy at the hospital where I birthed to have continual monitoring. I wanted to labour standing up rather than on my back and the monitoring made this difficult. The monitoring was a bit of a nightmare actually and really distracting. They eventually agreed to intermittent monitoring rather than continual as DD was doing well.
I describe DD's birth as intense. I went from having my waters broken at 8am, drip at 8.30, labour being established at 9.30am, to DD being in my arms at 11.55am. I had contractions on top of contractions with not much break in between. I was grateful it went quite quick but it seemed that my body crammed the same amount of contractions as a  7 hr labour into 2.5 hrs. I am sure it didnt,but it certainly felt that way!
I was adamant about not having an epidural or pain relief other than gas/ air for the birth. I was worried once it became apparent that I might be induced that that might not be possible as it seems to be fairly widely thought that induced labour is more painful that spontaneous labour. To give myself the best chance at the birth I wanted, I had accupuncture in the weeks leading up to my due date to try to 'ripen' my body or to bring labour on before needing to be induced. I also drank raspberry leaf tea as apparently this can aid with having more effective contractions. I did a calm birth course as well and I found the skills I had practiced useful for the birth.
In the end, I didn't have pain relief besides gas / air at transition. I don't even know if it did anything for me, but I found having to concentrate on breathing with the mouthpiece a distraction which certainly helped. If you really want a birth without drugs, then it certainly is doable. I don't think that just because you are induced that you will end up with an epidural. My advice is to go into it with an open mind and to prepare as much as you can before hand.
Best of luck OP! You will be fine!

#16 imamumto3

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

my induced labour was no different to my non induced labour.  both were fast (45 mins & 30 mins).  I used a tens machine all the way through and then gas just before and during the delivery for both.

#17 Starrydawn

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

A gel inducd labour would be more like a normal go into labour. It is when you get that drip that it can ramp up fast. Mine went from 0-100 pretty fast. I also had my waters broken. Was constantly monitored. In the end I had a caeserean.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

I have been induced 5 times, the first one was the only time I needed an epidural and had a forcep delivery.
I required no pain relief for my last 4 and they were all very natural vaginal deliveries....I did have an IV in it did not restrict me in anyway, I was also intermittently monitored.

#19 pumpkin89

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Yep, twice for me.
DD1: preeclampsia They used the gel, which was slow and then did ARM. Hooked up to a monitor all the time and 24 hours of labour. DD started showing signs of distress, so they preped me for a caesar but I was in transition anyway so she came out with a couple of pushes and a ventouse (SP?) delivery. (And boy was pushing with the caesar anesthetic in place a wierd feeling!)

DD2: Waters broke, but no sign of labour. I had a high temp, and they thought bubs may have passed some meconium so they wanted to get things moving pretty quickly. I was hooked up to multiple IVs (syntocin, anitbiotics and saline for hydration) and continual monitoring with the bands around your belly, so very limited movement. But she was born only 6 hours after drip started. It is fairly standard practice now (I think) to start the drip at a lower level and gradually increase it to a dose to maintain contractions / labour, which helps avoid the "0-100" feeling. If you're not sure, ask if this is what they are going to do.

Both births were drug free (apart from being preped for DD1, which I wasn't asking for but at the time was medically necessary) and fairly calm. For both, I got them to wheel the foetal monitor over so I could sit and rock on a Swiss ball instead of being confined to bed which really helped (and also put me in a good spot for backrubs and hotpacks from DH!). I had also done yoga throughout pregnancy, and used visualisation / breathing techniques. I found this managed the pain enough that I didn't even feel I needed the drugs. So to answer your question OP, no I don't think an induced labour has to be any more painful than a "normal" one. Cross your fingers for a good midwife, the one I had with DD2 was awesome! That being said, be prepared for medical pain relief if you need it.

#20 Frau Farbissina

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hi OP, I had GD too and was induced when I was 8 days overdue. Initially, the MW broke my waters, as this can sometimes bring on labour. As it didn't appear to do anything, after about an hour or so, they started the drip. I had to have a cannula in the back of my hand, which TBH was more irksome than the first part of labour! I had also tested positive for strep  B so I think I was going to have to have the cannula anyway.  The labour was quick - about 3 and half hours from start to finish.  As it was my second labour, I knew what was happening and I was able to face it (for want of a better phrase). The contractions did come on a lot more quickly, but the whole event was over a lot faster ,too. (My first labour was something like 18 hours). I got through without any pain relief, and got a second degree tear, which was stitched up and healed fine. Due to the GD and I think also being induced, I had to have a strap around my belly to monitor the baby's heart beat, and the midwife also took BSL readings about every hour. I don't remember this happening in my first labour, when I also had GD, but did have the heartrate monitor on even though it was a spontaneous labour in that case.

GOod luck with it OP  original.gif

#21 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

I've had 2 inductions with epidurals and 1 spontaneous unmedicated labour.  As far as I'm concerned, if it's a VB, it's natural.
When you were induced, what did they do? Both times, I was induced just by having my waters broken.  My OB used a thing that looked like a condom with a little blade on the end to break the membranes. The first time, it was done in the evening with the plan that if nothing was happening by morning, I'd be put on a drip and given syntocinon to stimulate contractions.  I started having contractions about an hour after my waters were broken and baby was delivered 6.5 hours later (7.5 hours total).  The 2nd time, my OB knew to start me in the morning  biggrin.gif

Are you hooked up to an IV or any other kind of drip? The first time, I wasn't put on a drip until DH requested an epidural.  The 2nd induction (baby #3), after a relatively short first delivery and a 3-hour labour with #2, my OB said I would have to decide ahead of time if I wanted an epidural.  I had it inserted and a test dose put in before my waters were broken, but it had worn off before labour fully established.  Once they give you an epidural, you'll have an IV (usually put in first because the epidural can cause blood pressure to drop).

Is it a good idea to get an epidural? My labours were comparable pain-wise, and with the epidurals, I was still able to walk around, so I could still feel contractions, but they weren't painful. If you have the option, you can see how you go and request one if you need it once you're in labour.

Good luck!

#22 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I was induced at 41 weeks due to high blood pressure and DS leaking meconium. I had planned a water birth at the birth centre.

My induction was good. They did two stretch and sweeps leading up to it but they didn't work. DS was posterior and I was induced with the drip. Unfortunately due to exhaustin and awkwardness of all the things hanging off me I couldn't have an active birth and the hospital didn't have gas for me.

I was doing well but it became too painful and I had barely dialated in 4 hours so I opted for the epidural and within an hour was fully dialated. Also the reason I had the epidural was because DS heart best was irregular and my blood pressure was getting higher so if I ended up needed a csection I wanted to be awake so at least if I had the epidural the thing would already be in.

From start of induction to babe in arms it was 8 and a half hours and no complications.

#23 katrina24

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

I think it's important to remember that,even though statistically inductions carry a greater risk of interventions, it doesn't necessarily mean your induced birth will go this way.

I was sort of induced with DD1. I was over due and went in to have the induction. I had a high, closed cervix and no sign of any contractions or even rumblings from my uterus. The plan was gel. In the evening, gel again in the morning, break waters and then syntocin drip.

What actually happened - 1/2 dose of gel. Soon after waters broke naturally, contractions started and DD was born 4 hours later after a relatively easy birth.

I'm not sure on the official definition if a 'natural'birth. It's not a term I use. If the induction went as planned it would be a vaginal

It's never possible to know for sure how birth will progress.  Births that start spontaneously can also end in interventions or a C section.

Best of luck, I hope it all goes well for you.

ETa: my second birth was spontaneous. It was 1/2 as long but just as painful. I didn't have an epidural for either.  Again, I don't think an epi is something that can necessarily be planned.  If I had had difficult of very long births I would very possibly have had one but my births were fast and uncomplicated so I didn't.  I think it would be a better idea to think about when you might request one etc than trying to plan ahead of time.

Edited by katrina24, 21 November 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#24 HurryUpAlready

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

I was induced this Feb due to GD. Bub was small but hadn't come by my due date & OB wouldn't let me go overdue.

Because she didn't want to use the gel (too slow?) she wanted to break my waters straight off the bat. Given I wasn't dialated at all, OB said it would be painful & suggested I have an epidural first.

So, I had epi and a drip put in at about 7.30am. Epi worked very quickly. I could still walk but didn't feel it when OB broke my waters.

Contractions started within 10 mins or so but I couldn't feel them to start with, until the epi started to wear off.

I let the epi wear off for a few hours but had it topped up again eventually and DD was born at 4.52pm.

As far as I'm concerned, she came out of my vagina so it was a natural delivery!!!

#25 knottygirl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

I have been induced twice, both with the drip and the gel.

The first time my waters broke, but only the hind waters, and they put me on the drip and ramped it up over the day until it was maxed out.  For some reason it didnt work.  Then the nurse tried to do an internal and i wasnt dilated at all.  then next thing my (fore?) waters broke and i got contractions doubling up like overlapping,and only 1 minute apart.  It was full on to go from nothing to that.  within an hour id asked for the epidural, which the doctor wanted me to have anyway, as he didnt think i would be able to deliver naturally anyway cause ds was a whopper, 9pound 5 and im quite small.  I pushed him out though, no intervention, no forceps or vacuum, and i couldnt even feel the contractions the epidural was maxed out the whole time cause the dr wanted me ready for an emergency caesar in case he got stuck.   i ended up with bad tearing though cause he came out with one arm up in the air.

With the next one i requested an induction at 38 weeks as i was worried that he would be big too.  The scans were inconclusive because of his position.  I had the gel, which was def a slower buildup to contractions, but still not like going into labour naturally.  i asked for an epidural early because it was friday afternoon, during the floods, and i was worried if i left it they might not get anyone in.  plus i knew that i could deliver with an epidural by myself, and i knew i would most likely tear again, as the boys were only 21 months apart.  I know that epidurals have a much higher rate of forceps/episiotomies but second time round that wasnt a concern for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.