Should I remove plaster myself (update post#24)
opinions please??

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 tle

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Some of you may remember my post last month about my DD's broken arm. Briefly, I took her to hospital A which x-rayed and diagnosed break. They put a half cast on, told me it would need to be on for a minimum of 2 weeks and referred her to a GP in a weeks time. The GP said she didn't treat breaks and hospital A should have referred me to the fracture clinic at Hospital B so she gave me a referral for there (and another x-ray referal to have done before visiting the fracture clinic). I phoned the fracture clinic and they refused to see DD because they only take referrals from hospitals, not GPs. Back to hospital A who can no longer help because she has been discharged and referred to GP.

So, in a nutshell, neither hospital A, hospital B nor our GP will see DD about her broken arm (which has been in a cast and not painful to her).

Now that it is almost 6 weeks I don't know what to do. General consensus seemed to be to take her to a physio who will remove the cast so I called in to see one yesterday and he told me that yes, he can remove the cast but only if I'm sure the fracture is healed.

My question is, how do I find that out? She had the x-ray done this morning and the reposrt says:

"They're are healing greenstick type fractures of the distal radius and ulna with some periosteal reation. Detail is obscured by overlying plaster.
There is mild focal deformity on the dorsal aspect of the radial fracture but no significant displacement of angular is seen.
The alignment of the ulna fracture appears to be essentially anatomical."

Based on that, do you think it is safe to remove the plaster?  I know the standard response is to seek expert medical advice but given that neither of the 2 nearby hospitals, nor our GP or physio will give advice I need to decide myself.

Edited by tle, 23 November 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Can the physio read the report?

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Take the report to the physio and they will confirm it is ready to be removed. original.gif

#4 tle

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

When I spoke to the physio he told me he could remove it at a cost of $10 but I nedded to know myself whether or not it was safe to do so beforehand.

#5 Tenacious C

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Can you see another physio - all the physio's I have seen have been happy to review x-ray reports and determine whether a cast should some off.

#6 tle

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

There is a 2nd physio in town. I might stop in with the xray report tomoprrow and see what she said.

#7 Green Fairy

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Can you see another GP? DD saw the fracture clinic once after her break and then our GP ordered the final xray and removed the cast.

#8 Overtherainbow

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

When I broke my arm, the GP at the hospital (country town) removed my plaster.  My arm was re-xrayed to check all was fine.  Remember I'm old so this was 20 years ago.

When DD broke hers it was removed by an orthopaedic surgeon, x-ray done to check all had healed.  Not a bad break but still referred to an ortho.

I wouldn't remove it without a medical professional telling me it's fine.  Is there a health number you can ring who can tell you where to go?

#9 Chelli

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

How awful you've been given the run around so badly by the professionals who are supposed to help you. I would not take the plaster off myself though as I can not read an xray report.

Good idea to see the other physio. Good luck with it.

#10 ReadySetRace

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

What an awful situation. Is there another GP?  Otherwise turn up at Hospital B's ED - they will be able to get you into fracture clinic.

6 weeks should be fine for it to heal but the site of the fracture should be examined for tenderness - if it's really sore when pressed its not ready for the cast to come off.

Write complaints to both hospitals - utterly appalling.

#11 Linda6

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

I broke my ankle about 15 years ago now. The hospital put on a half cast which was supposed to be there until swelling went down but it fell off after less than 2 days so I had a full cast put on which was supposed to be taken off after 2 weeks and replaced but that never happened.
The cast started cracking at the bottom and cutting my foot so after 6 weeks I decided to remove it myself.
I wouldn't recommend it, while my foot felt fine while in the cast as soon as it was removed it was obvious it was not healed. I just strapped it and didn't bother getting it checked (but I was 20 and knew everything) and I don't think it ever healed properly.
I would definitely not recommend removing the cast unless you know it has healed.
It does seem strange that neither your doctor or the hospitals will help you. Can you phone and speak to someone in charge and explain the situation?

#12 rosiebird

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Go to ED, ask for a plaster removal and x-ray. ED can refer to fracture clinic or remove the cast that day.

#13 mumto3princesses

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

I would try to see an orthopedic surgeon or see if another physio can read the report. Or find another GP to read it as they should have some understanding of an x-ray report.

My DD1 broke those bones a few years ago. But she had surgery to put her bones back in place and a full plaster.  When the plaster was removed 6 weeks later the surgeon actually thought about replastering it again. In the end he decided it would be ok but she was very restricted in what she was allowed to do and he told he a number of times that 1 fall will most certainly result in it braking again. So I wouldn't be doing anything until I found someone who could actually read the x-ray.

#14 regandrog

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

I've broken my arm 3 times, it all started with a break when i was 8 that didn't heal properly, so I would never remove a plaster from one of my kids myself.

Who referred the recent xray? And given the 6 weeks have passed and you need to follow up I'd go back to Hospital A or B. Don't just let them pass you off.

#15 Therese

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

I would go to the ED or see another physio before getting the cast removed. It must be so frustrating to not be given specific instructions.

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

OP in your post you said it was a half cast, did they eventually put on a permanent one?
If it is a half cast I can't see how a physio can charge you to remove it as it only involves unwinding a bandage? huh.gif

#17 aprilrain

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

I would ring 'A' back and ask to speak to somebody higher up. They have her records. How can it be possible to not be able to refer her to 'B'.

It is often amazing what somebody else can do when you have been told it is 'impossible', even though it should be simple and logical.

#18 tle

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Yes, it's only a half cast. She never got to have a full one put on because we've been going around in circles trying to get someone to see her. That's why I was tempted to remove it myself. I know it will be easy to get off but I need to know if its healed or not first. I was hoping the wording on the x-ray report would make the decision easy but because it says "healing" and not "healed" I'm still no clearer to making a decision.

#19 samemnik

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

What a crock!

So some bean counters at hospital A and B can refuse to let her be seen and thus have inadequate follow up because of some stupid protocols.  Did they stop to think who was going to see her if they said no?  Like the fracture would miraculously go away?

She was seen at Hospital A so I would be ringing them and demanding that they organise something.  She is lucky that it sounds like it is healing ok and won't have long term problems, but that follow up is appalling.

And please, go through their complaints procedures and do it in writing.  Its a total disgrace.

#20 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

What a nightmare.   I would go back to the ED of one or other hospital and not leave until it's sorted.

I broke my arm at age 6 and it healed twisted and had to be rebroken and reset.

#21 Mumsyto2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

If there is a fracture clinic at Hospital B I would rock up to the ED and tell them you are there as you want someone to take it off (and provide X ray report). They will refer you to the fracture clinic there if there is a problem.

I am not a fan of people rocking up to ED for things such as this but I feel you have been placed in a ridiculous position due to some weird beurocracy and in this case I see it as the simplest way forward.  Alternatively pay a physio to read the report and remove if they are happy.

#22 tle

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

I've made an appt for the physio this afternoon so hopefully he will read the xray report and know what to do.

I'm reluctant to make a formal complaint to the hospital because I know that it's the individual Drs and nurses that will cop the blame not the system that is at fault.  I used to work in recruitment for both the hospitals involved and I know that the vast majority of medical staff within them do a great job in very difficult circumstances.

I let you know what the physio says. Hoefully it will all be over by this afternoon.

#23 FeralBob!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

Crossing my fingers for you tle  original.gif

#24 tle

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Back from the physio and still no closer to getting an answer.  Turns out that yes, he can remove a plaster but not without prior approval of a "medical professional".  Something to do with medical insurance. To his credit, he did ring 2 orthopeadic surgeons, my GP and a 2nd GP in an attempt to read the xray report to them and get their OK. Sadly, none of them would give the OK without a personal consultation and none could get me an appt within a reasonable time frame.

He's given me the names of some peadiatricians to make an appt with but again, they have waiting lists that are several weeks (if not months) long for new patients.

So basically, I'm right back where I started from.

The physio did tell me however, that looking at the xrays and the report everything is as he would expect it to be and there is nothing to indicate any problems. He also said that six weeks is routinely the amount of time a plaster stays on even for more severe breaks so it would be very unusual for a greenstick fracture to need longer than that.

Based on that, and the fact that I've run out of places to try and get an answer, I've decided that I'm going to remove the cast myself tomorrow. I'd do it today but DD has a dance concert rehearsal tomorrow and it would be just her luck to fall and injure it again. SO, as soon as the rehearsal is over, the cast is coming off.

#25 idignantlyright

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Does your local hospital have a GP clinic?
They should be able to help you there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Couple's bucket list for unborn baby

Jenna and Dan Haley know their baby's time will be limited, so they're packing in a lifetime of memories before he's even born.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.