Not bonding immediately with newborn?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 little lion

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I feel a bit guilty writing but here goes ... My son is a month old now and I still don't feel that overwhelming love or bond.  unsure.gif I've only heard of mothers experiencing that immediate, hit like a bolt of lightning love. my son is an easy baby and aside from spending the first three days in special care nursery, he has been pretty healthy.

Each day my feelings for him grow but I'm worried there's something wrong with me. Is this normal? If not, what should I do?

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Give yourself a bit of time, it is very common to feel this way. Really. Especially with a first baby, it takes time to get your head around having a baby, the 24/7 nature of the situation and for you to also get back on an even keel after pregnancy, birth establishing feeding etc. A month old is very early days, but it is worth discussing this with an ECHN or GP etc so they can perhaps make an assessment for PND and help you to know what is and isn't normal in terms of your feelings.

#3 hitchicken

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Some people fall in love in an instant, others take years. Same with babies original.gif . It's not a race, and you definitely shouldn't panic about it. I bet you in a few months you can't imagine how you'd live without him original.gif

Take time to cuddle him, skin on skin etc and spend time making eye contact. There's biological evidence that these things improve bonding for bub and mum original.gif x

#4 GamerMum

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

I was the same. I think I still am the same at times. DD is 11 weeks old now and although I never had that 'lightning bolt' moment, there are times where I think "I'd do anything for that girl" and I get all protective and crazy-like and other times I think "why does it feel like I don't love her like I should?" It's really odd. And I'm assuming it's normal.

I wish I had that lightning bolt moment. Would have made things easier (or at least one less thing to beat myself up about).

#5 Angelot

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Normal!  Don't panic.

Becoming a mum is such a huge transition, and it takes a toll physically, emotionally, if you're so inclined throw in spiritually as well.  It can take a long time to recover, sort through all of that and construct a new sense of identity, and a confidence in the changed relationships you find yourself in.

Me, I took months to feel anything other than a huge sense of duty.  Now, I sneak into her room when she's sleeping just to look at her, and I do feel a huge lump of love in my chest.  But it took time!

I say be gentle with yourself, and let things unfold.  Don't try to force anything and give yourself permission to feel whatever comes to the surface without being afraid of it.

#6 Mmmcheese

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

The love didn't hit me until my dd was 3 months old. I just always assumed that that was within the wide range of normal!!! I hope so! If you have concerns, talk to your gp or mchn. I love my dd now with all my heart, and I don't feel our relationship is negatively impacted.

#7 little lion

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! I have been taking the 'fake it 'till you make it' approach. Jemstar I was wondering if it might link to pnd but wasn't sure.

#8 Jax12

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Another who didn't have that moment - and had a lot of guilt about it!  Don't worry - it will come.  It took me nearly 6 months and it was very gradual, certainly no lightning bolt moment.  Congratulations on becoming a mum.  And welcome to mother's guilt.  It sucks.   bbighug.gif

#9 EsmeLennox

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

From my understanding it can but it does not necessarily, if you know what I mean. That's why it's worth having a chat. How do you feel otherwise?

#10 deejie

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

DS1 I did not fall in love with in an instant. For me, it was a very gradual process.

Don't get me wrong, I would have done anything for him. Give up my life for him. I was still fiercely protective of him in a maternal way.... but it wasn't what I would call love. My love for him grew over the weeks, through many nights of sleepy milky cuddles, through hours of crying, through his first smiles. I really needed time to fall in love with him. I didn't have a lightning bolt moment when I knew. My love for him just grew within me slowly, building while I wasn't even realising.

With DS2, it really was instant love when I held in him my arms the first time. Truly and utterly. I don't know if this is because he was my second baby, I don't know why things were different the second time around.

It really is different for everyone and every baby. Hold your son, cuddle him close, stroke him, look in his eyes. Your love for this little person will grow within and soon enough you won't want to live your life without him in it.

#11 little lion

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 21/11/2012, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From my understanding it can but it does not necessarily, if you know what I mean. That's why it's worth having a chat. How do you feel otherwise?

Aside from a bit of groundhog day-itis, I feel good. Lots of family support. I only feel crappy/guilty when I think about the lack of that overwhelming love.

#12 emelsy

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I was the same. There was no 'moment' for me, love just grew. Now, like a pp I just stare at him in bed and I love him to bits. When he first came out I thought he was ugly and didn't look anything like me!now I think he's beautiful!!!
I know for me I was just a bit daft and clueless(despite being experienced with kids) and honestly it still feels weird knowing he's my child and I'm a mum (and he's 2!)
Don't stress about how you feel, I often compare it to romantic movie love. I love my DP but its not at all like on TV, I figure my love for DS isn't like TV either.

#13 R2B2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

it can take time. give yourself that time!

its a whole new world you have been thrown into. like all new things, it takes time to learn wink.gif

#14 EsmeLennox

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Sounds like the 'it takes time' thing to me.

#15 mandala

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

I needed to get to know DS to love him, so it took a couple of months. It also helped to not be so incredibly sleep deprived that I didn't even know myself.

#16 CharliMarley

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

It took about 3-4 days with me and I think that breastfeeding helped that bonding. However, my first baby was born in the middle of the 1960's, when the midwives and nursing staff would tell me to "not be gazing at that baby all day - he will know and he will play up on you! And put him in his own room when you get home"  cry1.gif

#17 Ponyo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

It was the same for me. I would have done anything for her, but I didn't feel 'head over heels' in love with her when she was born. In fact, I was surprised to discover that I didn't even think she was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen, either... it probably took 4-5 months to think she was lovelier than all the other tiny babies I saw! But as others have said, this didn't particularly worry me at the time. I also figured that it was within the range of normal. I just focussed on meeting her needs and enjoying the cuddles when breastfeeding. At some point I fell madly in love with her too. Sounds like you are doing a great job! Don't feel guilty.

#18 little lion

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Thanks everyone it is a relief to know I'm not alone. I do think he is a very handsome baby! I'm looking forward to these feelings growing.

#19 cinnabubble

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Both childen were born with an overwhelming sense of responsibility, but the love took a few months.

Edited due to Ipad fail.

Edited by cinnabubble, 21 November 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#20 Jen the hen

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Same happened for me, with both of them. The first time I thought I was abnormal, the second time I realized the love would come in time and was much more relaxed about it. I even told some people, asked if it was the same for them and a surprising number of people have the same experience.

Don't beat yourself up about it - in fact don't beat yourself up about anything. Your mothering will be as individual as you are.

#21 samshine

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Completely normal!  Don't put pressure on yourself.

I have had varying experiences of this with my 3.  My first, was born in dramatic circumstances which saw her being resus'd and taken away, and me going to surgery straight after her birth.  We were separated for the day while I had surgery and when I met her I couldn't really have cared less.  I was having blood transfusions and felt so unwell that I didn't have that opportunity to have that moment.  It didn't worry me and over the coming weeks it developed.

Even though my second was another complicated arrival, and I was asleep under GA when he was born and had been through an awful day, it was completely different.  I was woken, he was placed on my tummy to do the breast crawl and bam, it hit.  

My third was a lovely birth in comparison, a great postnatal period and while I undoubtedly loved her I didn't get that immediate bonding.  She was a difficult newborn and I ended up with extreme exhaustion then PND.  I didn't realise, really, that I hadn't expereinced that bonding until we got that sorted a couple of months ago and suddenly I feel that fiercely strong bond towards her.  

I think it differs for any mum/child combination.  Is it any wonder it takes a while with anyones' first as it really is a bit of a shock to the system that first few weeks and months?  But rest assured, you're normal!

#22 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

With me it did take awhile. I was in awe of her but not overwhelmed with love, it was a gradual build up. About 4 months I found the bond had become super strong and now at 10 months I can't believe how much I can love her, she is my world  wub.gif

#23 lizzzard

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Another one who didn't feel that instant bond...but I didn't really feel guilty about, just bemused! I did feel a sense of duty to take care of my baby (no one else was going to!) but I somehow felt disconnected from her...it definitely took time for me to fall in love. I don't think it was PND at all, just the way I am. For the record, I adore both my children now, but especially with the first, it was probably 6 months or so till I felt that special maternal love.

#24 SaintJoe

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

It's obviously common.

I felt immense protective instincts for my ds, but certainly not love like I feel now. By 3-4 months that overwhelming love came.

However, it is not something to just brush off. I suggest you still talk to someone just clarify it is not something more sinister (pnd for example)

Best of luck to you op.

#25 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I too felt guilty that I didn't get to feel instant love with my DS due to a traumatic birth and bad reaction to Pethidine.

I love love love DS but sometimes wonder if it's enough. I think maybe when I start to get the hang of motherhood I might love him more.

I spoke to my MCHN thinking it maybe a sign of PND but when I told her I didn't remember a thing about his birth she told me that many women don't feel it straight away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.