Parcel received in error

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Girl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Just after some opinions here.

I ordered an item of clothing online and received it, no problem. Accompanying the parcel was a 2nd package containing a dress I didn't order or pay for.

I rang the company who have asked me to return it via freepost. The dress costs $99.

It is really inconvenient for me to post parcels with my toddler but my conscience says I should do it as I'm in possession of goods I did not pay for. On the other hand I'm annoyed at having this pesky task to undertake because of their error. (I do understand these mistakes happen.) To be honest, I was hoping they'd tell me I could just keep it.

This is a mini vent too I guess. So would you post it back if it happened to you?

#2 LittleListen

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Yes I would post it back. Its the decent thing to do. Mistake or not.

#3 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I would return it, but perhaps you can ask them to send a courier if you can't get to the Post Office?

#4 JustMum08

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Of course original.gif
I'd hope they'd tell me to keep it though lol! Tounge1.gif

#5 beaglebaby

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

I can't quite work out how it could be inconvenient to drop a parcel with a freepost address on it into a red mail box?

Yes, I'd post it back.

#6 vanessa71

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Maybe you shouldn't have called the company so you wouldn't feel so put out.

#7 CoconutBaby

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Yes, I would return it.
While it might be pesky for you to return it, it is also pesky for the person who has paid for it and is expecting it.

#8 Always amazed!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Dont send it back.. Resell it on ebay:)

#9 FiveAus

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

They'll just bill your credit card if you don't return it.

#10 Futureself

QUOTE (Silver Girl @ 21/11/2012, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So would you post it back if it happened to you?

Of course.

QUOTE (Maybelle @ 21/11/2012, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would return it, but perhaps you can ask them to send a courier if you can't get to the Post Office?

If you, or your DH, or best friend, or neighbor, our sister honestly cannot get to a post office  then yes, just request a courier.

#11 vanessa71

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 21/11/2012, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They'll just bill your credit card if you don't return it.

They can't do that.

#12 Silver Girl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (beaglebaby @ 21/11/2012, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't quite work out how it could be inconvenient to drop a parcel with a freepost address on it into a red mail box?

Yes, I'd post it back.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of reusing the packaging and sticking a new address label on it. I'd assumed I'd have to go to the post office and buy a satchel or similar. I don't have much experience with parcels (outgoing that is, I've received plenty!).

Your suggestion makes it much easier - thank you!

#13 Frau Farbissina

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

WHy not just write return to sender on it? It should have a return address and it doesn't cost you anything. Just do it in  moment convenient to you some time soon.

#14 VioletRose

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

We recently bought some things and an extra item was in the package. I emailed them to let them know and got an email from Australia Post with a return label and instructions but no email from the company itself which I thought was quite rude.
A few days later they phoned to say they'd ordered a courier to arrive that day to pick it up. It saved me trip to post office so I said OK.
About 2 weeks later another package arrived and it was another unordered item. I emailed again and they phoned to say they'd send a courier to pick it up.
In the meantime the back ordered item that completed my order had arrived.
While each person I spoke to on the phone was polite I won't be buying from them again because getting unsolicited goods is a pain. Plus I thought it was really rude to just action the first return but not email me to acknowledge there was a problem.
If they'd continued sending parcels my intention was to keep them but to email to thank them for the gifts 'as a gesture of goodwill'

#15 epl0822

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

The hassle of going to the post office depends on where you live and how busy your post office is. Right now I live 5 min walk from the post office which is virtually empty whenever I go in. I wouldn't mind going there for a stroll during a quiet morning. But if it involved me driving half an hour and queueing for ages I would ask to be reimbursed for the inconvenience. If somebody incorrectly put $100 into my account and I incurred bank fees it's not morally wrong to ask them to reimburse me.

#16 Funwith3

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Of course I would return it. Its not yours. Return it at a time convenient to you (within reason). Why on earth would they let you keep it!?

#17 Luci

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Could you ask them to send you a stamped and addressed envelope so all you have to do is pop it into a red box?

I don't like going to the post office much either. My closest one is too far to walk but there is no parking nearby either. It also usually has long queues.

Luci

#18 NunSoFeral

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

I received some extra books from fishpond - I had ordered stacks and they were coming in dribs and drabs, so I only noticed after several weeks that we had 7 double up's

After checking I hadn't been billed, I rang them up, only to be told to keep them.
I asked if I could "return to sender" and she said not to bother.

I was a bit gobsmacked.

They were Zac Power/Captain Underpants books and we dropped them into the Children's Hospy.

The nuns instilled a "no degrees of honesty" policy at our school. You either is or you isn't.
Don't know if that's true, but it stuck.
Still feel a bit iffy about the situation when I think on it.

#19 DandS

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Why is it inconvenient to go to the post office? I manage to do it with a toddler, quite often. Even one that touches everything, and i even go with a preschooler and school aged child..

Post it back! I might be annoyed, but I'd definitely post it back in these circumstances.

#20 luke's mummu

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Yes I would definitely post it back. If it's difficult for you, ask them to post you a satchel to put it in the freepost.

#21 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Just send it back and stop making excuses.

#22 Wyn99

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

I understand, the only post office in my town has long long queues and it's hard to park nearby, especially with 3 kids in tow. I'd ask for a courier to collect it or for them to send a prepaid envelope so you can drop it in a box at your leisure.

#23 Lil Chickens

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Seriously?  Wrap it in any brown paper or old bag you have, tape it up, write the address on and drop it in the post box.

This shouldn't even be a question, to keep it is to steal!

#24 MrsMumma

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I would return it. Having said that Telstra sent me not 1 but 5 modems, after returning the first 2, I said they could send a courier. It was too big to simply stick in a box. Each time I called, told them what had happened and got the reply paid address and sent it back. On the last two occassions they said just to keep them for my trouble :-/ god knows what I am going to do with 3 modems!!

#25 Coffeegirl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

I handle the web complaints for our company and the few times that this has happened we do the following

1) goods cost less than the postage to return  - we tell the customer to keep them and we write them off.
2) goods cost more than postage to return - We ask the customer to re-box and mark return to sender.  Drop it in the red box or at post office.   If they have destroyed the packaging, I send them an express post satchel, or a reply paid number from the post office

We actually have to pay Aust Post for any RTS packages, so we try not to make mistakes original.gif

Just remember that every item that is lost in the post, nicked from our shop or sent in error costs us money,  we then in turn have to recoup the money somehow, so prices go up. sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.