Am i the enemy of fun?
Merfins for a 4 and 7 year old

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 gasgirl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

SIL is buying these for my DDs age 4 and 7 for Christmas

http://oceanikamerfins.com/welcome-to-oceanika

my girls are adequate swimmers for their age, and are safe under supervision in our backyard pool

I think this looks dangerous. It's basically taking a 4 yr old and putting her in water with her ankles tied together.
I wasn't asked if this would be an ok gift for the girls (never am) and when I voiced my concerns to hubby he said he would call SIL. Which he didn't for 3 days and now she has bought them. And is planning to give them regardless.

Hubby says i can always not let the girls use them unless we are in the pool with them but anyone with young girls knows that you can't give a mermaid fin to a 4 or 7 yr old and then expect to take it away without tears. They will love them.

So what should I do? should I tell SIL that this is a big NO and she should return them? or do you think I am being overly cautious and girls of this age should be ok with Merfins? THey are never unsupervised in the pool but often swim with us watching from the kitchen or back yard (a matter of metres away).
I do not like to be the enemy of fun but my girls' safety comes first.

#2 gasgirl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

any experience with this toy would be appreciated. Rawr I think it looks dumb too but I am thinking as an adult not as a seven yr old. Even on land they wouldn't be able to walk. Let alone the cost .

Edited by gasgirl, 21 November 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#3 Feral Becky

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

It scares the crap out of me, but I have a drowning 'thing'

#4 MissM86

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Looks really dangerous, not to mention ridiculous! I wouldn't let the girls wear them because if they panicked (sp?) under water things could go wrong really quickly.

#5 gasgirl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

nothing wrong with a drowning thing. I hate family conflict but this is something i think i need to make a stand on.

#6 Broxie

Looks dangerous to me and I'm one of the most relaxed parents out. Not appropriate or safe.

#7 girltribe4

My girls would love these , shame I already have their Christmas presents !!  

They already wear fins for swimming lessons and in Grandma's pool , these are pretty similar just stuck together . You do need a lot of strength to swim with them though so it would make a difference if they were ''heavy'' ??
I would be fine for my older girls to wear them for supervised pool play original.gif My 4yr old is no where near a strong enough swimmer .

#8 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

I think one would have to be a really good swimmer and supervised if using these. They don't look very safe.

#9 FeralFerretOfDoom

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

I think they could be very dangerous, particularly for young children who aren't confident swimmers.

I'd definitely be pushing back on this.

#10 AnnoyingAnt

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Can't see that they'd be a drowning hazard.  Ankles/feet are not strapped in and feet could easily be slipped out (it's just just like a rubber sandal).  That said, I'd certainly be supervising with young kids.. especially your 4 year old and making sure she's comfortable with sliding her feet in and out (personally it wouldn't even stay on my 5 year old's feet as the smallest size is size 11).  Your 7 year old should have no issues Anyway, if you are not keen on using it in the pool they would make great dress-ups (but not good value compared to a normal pool fin set (and even a snorkel/mask) which are far more useful and just as fun if you ask me).

They sure are pricey too given how quickly kids grow!

#11 bluedragon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

As a former swim instructor I can't think of a 7yo student I had that I would feel confident in their ability to safely use them, let alone a 4yo.

If she insists on giving them to your girls I'd be ebaying them ASAP!

#12 Bluenomi

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hell no would my kids have one of those! Not a 4 years old and I'd only maybe think bout a very good 7 year old swimmer wearing them. I wonder how hard it is to get your feet out of them? I wouldn't want my kids (or myself) struggling in the water in trouble trying to get a foot out.

#13 aprilrain

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (MissM86 @ 21/11/2012, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks really dangerous, not to mention ridiculous! I wouldn't let the girls wear them because if they panicked (sp?) under water things could go wrong really quickly.

If you google 'safety' it says 'one flick of the ankle strap and they come free'. It seems to be an Aus design so I'd think they'd come down on them like a ton of bricks if they were unsafe.

I'm drowning wary too. Maybe ring the company and ask for more details of safety/weight etc and see if it reassures you. If not ask their refund policy.

#14 daisydo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

The Mermaid Fin is a fun monofin pool toy ideal for young swimmers. The Mermaid Fin teaches a balanced dolphin kick while also allowing children to increase their confidence in the water.

The Mermaid Fin is a fun monofin pool toy ideal for young swimmers. The Mermaid Fin teaches a balanced dolphin kick while also allowing children to increase their confidence in the water. The Mermaid Fin comes with a comfortable TPR foot pocket and uses a quick-release foot strap so that feet can quickly be removed from the fin for safety. Ideal for children 12 and under, the Mermaid Fin fits shoe sizes male 1-6, female 2-7. The Mermaid Fin should only be used under adult supervision.

Taken from this website here

Edited to fix link

Edited by daisydo, 21 November 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#15 gasgirl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

thanks girls. Bluedragon yes a lot of things have been ebayed/regifted, but once this is given to a 7yo I can't imagine her ever giving them up...

#16 danielle1985

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

https://oceanikamerfins.com/oceanika-store

On the right hand side there is a video with a 3 1/2 year old girl using them with armband floaties. She seemed pretty confident...

For me it would depend on how easy they are to get off.

#17 Cat People

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

OP, you say safety is your number one concern so please don't supervise your kids from the kitchen.  I assume you are doing chores from the kitchen which means you can easily be distracted.  4 and 7 is far too young to be anywhere but within arms reach.

#18 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

I don't see what the big deal is, under adult supervision they seem no worse then flippers.  I personally would only let my 4 yr old in the water with another adult was in their, so clearly we differ on a few things.

#19 Coffeegirl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

No freaking way would I let my DD wear those in the pool unless I was in the water with her.  And she's 12 and a squad swimmer.

I'm still trying to figure out how you flick the back ankle strap off without having to bend over and do it with your hand.   huh.gif

#20 gasgirl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

thanks Madame Catty no I am sitting at the kitchen table watching thru the window which overlooks onto the pool . They are closer than when miss 7 swims her 25m squad laps and miss 4 swims her 25m lap. they are good swimmers for their age but that is with all limbs unhindered.
I don't have concerns with my kids' pool safety ( but thanks for thinking of it, it is appreciated and a point that is always well made) rather with this particular toy,  its appropriateness for young children and whether it is worth starting a family xmas drama over or whether I am overreacting.

#21 Charri36

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I think you will find the novelty will wear off, just like any toy.

Sorry, but I wouldn't be calling SIL and telling them it's not appropriate. YOU need to supervise your kids in the pool. I could imagine using it not just as a pool toy, maybe she might want to watch TV with it on, use your own imagination on how it could be used not in the pool. eg, put it on a teddy etc.

Just appreciate that sometimes you will get random presents that maybe you would not buy, they still can be fun, what's wrong with using it and having a big laugh. Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to used it all the time. How I said the novelty will wear off.

#22 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I don't have kids, but unless your kids were very competent in butterfly, I can see them being dangerous.

However I probably would still let them be used only if DH & I were in the pool.

#23 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (gasgirl @ 21/11/2012, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks Madame Catty no I am sitting at the kitchen table watching thru the window which overlooks onto the pool . They are closer than when miss 7 swims her 25m squad laps and miss 4 swims her 25m lap. they are good swimmers for their age but that is with all limbs unhindered.
I don't have concerns with my kids' pool safety ( but thanks for thinking of it, it is appreciated and a point that is always well made) rather with this particular toy,  its appropriateness for young children and whether it is worth starting a family xmas drama over or whether I am overreacting.

ohmy.gif what is not appropriate is inadequate (sp?) supervision of your children when they are swiming. Roayal Australian Life Saving states under 4 you should be in the water, but MOST swim centres will state that you should be within arms length of a child 5 and below.  If you are in the pool with them it is a lot different to being out of the pool at your kitchen table.

#24 gasgirl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

ahhh rellies, sent to test us.
thanks girls I have taken all your points on board.
We have had 7 yrs of random and slightly inappropriate gifts from SIL but this is the first time an issue of safety has arisen. It will certainly be an expensive way of dressing up a teddy but that is her choice and not my issue.
I think I will save the drama for another day and yes they will most certainly swim with them only when we are in the pool with them. Although how one adult will say in arms length of two children will be interesting.
On xmas day SIL can get in with them..as that day I WILL be in the kitchen doing chores and distracted.

#25 nup

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Definitelyt age inappropriate which your SIL just onviously doesn't realise. So rather than attacking her for her inappropriate choice perhaps try taking with her about their swimming levels and asking that she holds onto them fir a couple of years.

I know a few 10 year + olds who would love those.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Coping with a bolter

My 15-month-old has suddenly added a burst of real speed to her toddle. She should be classed a flight risk.

Single, 51 and pregnant

Tracey Kahn didn't realise she wanted to become a mother until she was well into her 40s. Now 51, she is pregnant with her second child.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

The 'no children' wedding invite

"It's her wedding, so the day is all about her, not your baby." How major fall-out can occur over a simple wedding invitation.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.