Some real estate agents do % of sale, some do a fixed rate. some say fixed rate then add on extra fees. In WA from what I've been told lately its approx 2-2.5% or about $10000-15000 depending on where you go.
Write a list with questions to ask each agent. Don't sign anything until you're sure you understand and have shopped around.
Things to consider
1) Breakdown of fees
2) Does that include advertising and signage out the front? And for how many weeks (some only will include a few weeks or certain amount of advertising for free, then expect more money to continue)
3) Do the fees include professional photography
4) Where do they advertise (hopefully as many papers and internet sites as possible, and how, large editorials, with or without photos, top of listings on the net etc etc)
5) How many days a week will they open
6) How many weeks will your contract to that agent be
7) How will they advertise $ on your place. I've been told not to put an upper amount on as that limits who will look, and also may put a cap on maximum offers
8) Shop around, ask for a better price, or if they can include anything for free
9) Trust your instinct, if you get a good vibe from the agent its probably a good thing. Buyers will like that too
10) My dad always said, look at the car they drive. If they work on commission, they will want to get the best price haha ie if they drive a better car, they're more likely to be a better seller... Don't know if thats true but I think its a funny thought.
Ah, gotta go. Bugalugs is squawking. Hope this helps. If I can get back and add more I will.
Edited by minimac, 21 November 2012 - 01:44 PM.