2wk old vomiting on every feed
Tips to avoid?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kittycat01

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hi,

DS1 never vomited very often so this is a bit new for me with DS2. He's now 16 days old and he vomits (sometime retching, sometimes as a result of sneeze/cough/reflux) on every single feed.

He is almost fully BF (have given him formula once per week and he had some in hospital before my milk came in due to low blood sugar). I've been keeping him upright for 30 mins after a feed but he's chucking on winding and when I lay him on change table. It's a proper vomit, not just posseting. He is also vomiting in his sleep, in spite of elevating him.

The ECHN suggested that i was over feeding him, but he's doing it even on small feeds so I'm not sure that's the case. Any ideas on things to try? I am getting very little sleep at night because I keep waking up when he's choking on puke...not easy to settle back down after that. dH is home this week so I'm catching up on zzzz's in the morning but next week he's back to work. Not sure what I will do then!

Kitty

#2 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

could he be lactose intolerant? Ethan was and it took me forever to figure it out, but he did the same thing. would spew afetr EVERY feed, no matter the anount he had...

#3 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hi,

Your poor baby and poor you sad.gif

I would start with the simplest solution and work your way from there.

The simplest solution is that he is over-fed, try waiting 3-4 hours between a feed and see if it still happens then.

The next solution is reflux, this burns like hell so I'd see a Dr first and discuss appropriate ant-acid treatment to see if that helps. If baby isn't crying or in apparent pain it might be silent reflux.

the third option is that there is something wrong, I was this baby - it took until I was 13 to be diagnosed and until I was 15 to be fully 'fixed'!! My poor Mum!

Anyway, try the 3-4 hour thing today, after the next feed, see if it has any impact. If not I'd be heading to the Dr or if that's a long wait the pharmacy to get some OTC reflux-inhibitor to try.

All the best, I hope it's an easy fix.

#4 twinboys

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

If in doubt take him to be checked out it could be the start of Pyloric stenosis which can be controlled with thickened formulas

#5 Ianthe

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (twinboys @ 21/11/2012, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If in doubt take him to be checked out it could be the start of Pyloric stenosis which can be controlled with thickened formulas

This is a very serious condition and often requires surgery. OP this is very rare but two of my sons had this and were operated on. It presents around 2-6 weeks. If he is doing projectile type of vomits it could be that. As I said it is very rare but can be very serious.

#6 Glowworm80

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

My LO does a fair amount of vomiting, she also seems to be quite gassy. I now burp her every 5 or so minutes when feeding and this seems to help.

It seems the longer i have her upright after a feed the less likely she is to vomit. Not so easy in the middle of the night to get her upright while trying to sleep myself so, I have also raised her bassinet so that she sleeps on a slight angle.

Lastly my GP recommended infant Gaviscon. You can get from a pharmacy OTC, but honestly I didn't see much of a difference using it.

Other then that I just hope she grows out if it and keep plenty of  those old terry cloth nappies close by for clean ups... And dress her in lots of bibs.

#7 twinboys

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Didn't mean to make light of it Lanthe - my sister had it and it was controlled with thickened formulas back in that time.

#8 kittycat01

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Mumma bear - DS1 and DH both had lactose intolerance issues as babies but didn't show until 1yr old when put on cows milk. DH would vomit after having it but DS1 just had diahorrea constantly that only stopped when we put him on lac-free milk and cut out other dairy. He is able to tolerate it fine now (at 3yrs old). I would think that if he was reacting to my breast milk, that there would be a much more extreme reaction with formula? That's not the case though so I had ruled it out....

I am feeding him 3-4 hrly most of time and feeds are taking 20mins each side max now, sometimes less (as he can be rather enthusiastic when hungry - big bubba, now nearly 5kgs). He is very windy though on some feeds - about halfway between, he might wake up with cramps. DS1 was similar at this age though and grew out of it by about 8wks. My let down is very strong so the wind mainly happens due to the gulping, trying to keep up. I do lean back at beginning of feed but doesn't seem to help slow the flow.

Keep suggestions coming...good to revisit things I think I've thought of incase I'm missing something

#9 Razman

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'd follow the advice of the PP's and get your DS checked out for all the medical conditions mentioned.

And if you've ruled out all the medical conditions and you still have a chucker (my case) it should settle down somewhere between 6 and 12 mths (14 mths in our case). Buy up heaps of big bibs, old fashioned cloth nappies (chuck towels) and a big washing machine

Sleep in the rocker/bouncer during the day - its more upright than you can get the cot. Cloth nappy under his head and over his blankets/wraps to protect from vomit. And while its counterintuiative always sleep on his back, he can breath through vomit on his face but not if he's face down in the vomit (IYKWIM and sorry TMI)

Be prepared for hating tummy time too. It seems to make the vomiting worse and don't push it until he can hold his head up.

#10 kittycat01

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Also my brother had something along lines of Pyloric stenosis (some sort of valve issue that he was supposed to grow out of but never did). He was FTT until he was 2.5yrs and has severe reflux problems as an adult. Do these things run in families??

I already discussed reflux with paediatrician before discharge as he gulps and swallows in his sleep. Doesn't seem to screw his face up or be distressed though by it so not sure that its acidic. She said to wait a couple of weeks and see if it improves. Might be just immature valve on stomach,

Kitty

#11 Becstarinator

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

My DS was a vomiter.  When I talked to the GP about it he said he was still putting on a good amount of weight and wasn't distressed by it and he was just a happy chucky baby.

So there maybe nothing wrong at all but it is probably not a bad idea to get it checked out.

#12 CharliMarley

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Fully breastfed babies cannot be overfed, but he could be getting upset with the formula and the fast let-down. Try some posture feeding (after you have visited the doctor for anything medical). Lay flat down on the bed or couch with just a pillow under your head and place your baby onto your tummy and let him feed uphill against gravity. Then carry him around upright in a sling during the day. He will sleep against your chest and hopefully feel very contented. If there is nothing that needs medical attention, this "chucking" will pass eventually. Don't try and make him wait for a feed, as little babies need feeding constantly.

#13 Ianthe

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (twinboys @ 21/11/2012, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't mean to make light of it Lanthe - my sister had it and it was controlled with thickened formulas back in that time.

Well interestingly my Mum was told I had it as a kid but I never had surgery. The surgeon that operated on my first son said it was very unlikely that I did and didn't have surgery but I then had another son with it so it seems odd to me that Mum was told that 25-50 prior to me having two boys with it.

QUOTE (kittycat01 @ 21/11/2012, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also my brother had something along lines of Pyloric stenosis (some sort of valve issue that he was supposed to grow out of but never did). He was FTT until he was 2.5yrs and has severe reflux problems as an adult. Do these things run in families??

Kitty

There is a genetic component yes. If your brother did have pyloric stenosis (the pyloric sphincter is the value at the top of the stomach) then I would be concerned.

#14 Toothfairy01

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

OP is your bub putting on weight and more importantly, still making wet nappies and pooing???

If his urine output has decreased or he's stopped pooing or there's any blood in it, I'd go to the emergency department. Also if it's projectile with every feed and he is still hungry, it does sound suss for pyloric stenosis which is a surgical emergency when the stenosis becomes critical, so I'd get that checked out too.

Otherwise, it sound like you are doing all the other sensible things, like, keeping bub upright and elevating the bassinet.

If

Let us know how you and bub go.

#15 IsolaBella

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

I was a projectile vomited as a bubs.

DS1 was a happy chucker reflux chucking to 12 m of age. Average would be 8 vomits between each feed.

DS2 I had back at the paed at 21d if age. Suspected PS but that was ruled out. He had a high palette and was nearly chucking up everything consumed. Vomiting Fluro yellow by this stage. Weight had never been gained by him, he continued to lose weight from discharge.

Thickener added to bottles of EBM made SOME food stay down, still had major chucks multiple times a day between each feed. It was at his 21d appt that my mum mentioned my projectile traits.... Paed said to expect all my kids to follow suit. DS2 chucked to 12-13m too

DD also chucked multiple times in between each feed up to 15m of age.

We have a family history of reflux.

Edited by lsolaBella, 04 December 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#16 kyrrie

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

You really should get it investigated thoroughly if you feel there may be something more than being a happy chucker.

Well interestingly my Mum was told I had it as a kid but I never had surgery. The surgeon that operated on my first son said it was very unlikely that I did and didn't have surgery but I then had another son with it so it seems odd to me that Mum was told that 25-50 prior to me having two boys with it.

Pyloric stenosis is pretty horrible for all concerned so really needs to be investigated.

Like lanthe (we've had this conversation before lanthe, haven't we?) I had it as a baby/kid and never had surgery. As Mum tells it they just didn't offer the surgery to girls back then even though I was diagnosed. Must have been some idea that it was only really a problem in boys. Made life pretty difficult for me and my parents. As a baby I was hospitalised for weeks at a time trying to work feeds out, would scream for 24hrs straight and projectile vomited after every feed (which were small and frequent). When I was about 5 I could finally eat a decent sized meal and the vomiting lessened until it stopped when I was 13. See, it's worth checking this out.

My kids were lucky. Both were happy chuckers until about 14 mnths old and DD had silent reflux for her first few months. Me on the other hand, I have reflux again now I'm old.

Good luck OP. I hope you get some answers and it resolves quickly.

#17 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

My baby vomited every feed when he started getting whooping cough.

It took several weeks to get a diagnosis, as the cough was not that obvious at the start, just lots of vomiting...

I hope you bub is ok. Keep taking him back to the hospital if you have to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.