Spinoff: How much do you spend on nieces and nephews for Christmas?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Ally'smum

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

I spend around $50 per child (there are 4 of them). I think this is reasonable, DH doesn't because it is not reciprocated for our child.

Presents from one family are always things they are regifting, they have children a bit older than ours, so I guess they will always have stuff to regift!

Family 2 buy everything on sale. I feel like 'good on them', we are not interested in buying christmas presents in the July toy sales, but if they save money that way it is fine by me.

DH is annoyed with family one for many reasons, but the latest is an email with "suggestions" of what to buy their children, all of it over $50.

He thinks we shouldn't be spending over $100 on their kids when they have never spent anything on ours. I have just ignored the email and gone out and got them gifts that we want to give them, not what the parents are telling us to get them.

Is $50 per child reasonable? Also, in the next year there will be another two babies born, do we keep up with this amount in future or reduce it a little? What does everyone else do?

#2 bikingbubs

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

$50 each.  We have 7 nieces/nephews and we are happy with that amount.  We spend it because we want to and dont really care what we get in return.

I loooove buying for them, as they range from 1year-8 years old so I get to check out all the cool stuff!

#3 ~buzz~

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

we spend about $20-$30 there is 3 at the moment will be 4 this Christmas and 7 next Christmas not including our bub

#4 Carmen02

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

i tend to aim for $20, we have 7 nephews and 1 niece and we really can't afford much more then that. i tend to give the older ones a gift card to go buy something for themselves

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

I disagree with your DH as I don't think present giving needs to be reciprocated. I don't believe anyone should feel compelled to buy but should buy what they can afford and if they really want to give that person a gift.

It does depend on personal finances too OP. If you can afford this money and the present is coming from a good place then you spend whatever you like.
Expensive of course does not always make a better gift though original.gif

#6 Oriental lily

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

I have seven niece and nephews and I budget for about 30 dollars on each.

Sometimes I spend a little more or a little less depending on what sort of bargain I can get.

#7 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

We range anywhere from $50 - $100. I have two nephews and one niece.

We see them every day though, so extremely close.

#8 Buggylicious

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

We have 10 nieces and nephews and another on the way, I also have 2 little brothers aged 7 and 3 so I dump them in the same category. I spend anywhere from $15-$40 usually the lower end of scale unless I find something they would really like. None of my family are rude enough to suggest expensive presents or expect far more than they give.

#9 KnightsofNi

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

We spend around $50 on each of our nieces. Our kids obly get gifts of about $10 value in return. It doesn't bother me. I still love buying something nice for our nieces.

#10 ECsMum

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

10 nieces and newphews here - between $30 and $40 each ...
Though i wonder now the first two are working should I continue to buy for them? My aunts and uncles stopped buying when we left school ....

#11 Jenferal

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

I spend (I buy the stuff, it's given by both of us ) around $40 for my niece and nephew on my husband's side. They are 2 and 4. My niece on my side I spend more like $100 because she's 17 and stuff costs way more...plus my sister is a single mum so doesn't have much spare cash.

#12 julzely

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

I'm up to 13 nieces and nephews.  We do a family kris kringle so everyone get one present.  That present if $50.

#13 Always amazed!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

only have 1 atm normally between 30-60 depending on what they want/need

going to have another one very soon tho!!!

#14 GamerMum

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

We have 3 nephews and 2 nieces and I spend about $50 each on them They range from 2 to 9 years old. It averages out to that anyway. All but one of them live in different states, so I have to factor in postage as well, so I can't spend too much or get things that are too big..

When they were all here last year I went a bit nutty, and spent about $100 each on them. But it was my first Christmas with the kids, so I splurged. Tounge1.gif

I don't expect gifts for DD in return. I just love buying gifts for them!

#15 71Cath

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

I have one nephew and one niece and I spend about $30 each on Christmas presents for them.  Both of them have birthdays in the first week of January though so I would spend another $20 each then.

#16 aprilrain

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (loggedin @ 21/11/2012, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DH is annoyed with family one for many reasons, but the latest is an email with "suggestions" of what to buy their children, all of it over $50.

He thinks we shouldn't be spending over $100 on their kids when they have never spent anything on ours.

Yep, thats rude. I'd only suggest if asked by the giver. If it wasn't for the email I would suggest that they may be embarressed by the large (to me) amount you spend.

It is nice you want to be generous but could make others feel bad when they hand over their gift.

I think it must be difficult in extended families where there is uneven wealth. How do people work it then?

For what it's worth, I only give to the 'cousins' we are closest to - so 3 out of 24 - and we do $10 gifts ( though I will give a book as well as it's 3 against 4ch)

#17 dolcengabbana

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

I previously spent approx $50 per niece/nephew. Now I have 9 I trimmed to $30 per child!

$450 for kids before I purchased for my an was crazy.

#18 frozie

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

We spend $50 on each person.  There is 3 nieces and 1 nephew and aged between 12 - 17.  They always get the same things too as it is what they want.. 12 month magazine subscription for 1 and iTunes card for the other 3.

#19 Banana Pancakes

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Dh and I only have one nephew (he is 13) between us so we spend roughly $75.

#20 No girls here

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Up until this year I spent around $30.  I have 9 nieces and nephews, but it was the same amount even when it was only a couple.  

This year we are cutting down on presents, so probably about $15-$20 each.

#21 s'peachykeen

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

$20-$30 for kids on one side - they're not really 'present' people, SIL finds birthdays and Christmas a hassle and the kids have never shown any particular interest in what we've given, despite my best efforts to match interests etc. It all feels a bit thankless, so I just give things that I enjoy finding and giving.

Closer to $50 for kids on the other side - we're closer and SIL has the kids well trained to show appreciation for things they're given so it's easier to justify a bit of a splurge  biggrin.gif

#22 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

We used to spend $50 each.  And we were not getting any in return because we don't have children.  However this year we have cut back as we won't be able to afford $50 next year (There is 4 on DH's side at the moment, 1 on my mothers side and 10 on my dad's side) I have spent about $30ish dollars on the 2 I have brought for already, and will probably spend around that on the three I haven't brought for yet, perhaps a little less on the younger one and a little more on the older two as it will be a present and probably a gift card or something like that.  We also have a cousin we buy for for DH's side (it is KK) which is a gift no more then $30 or $40 (can't remember have to look at the note)

This is the first time we have brought for my dad's side and they don't spend too much we are not spending alot (between $15 - $20 on each chidl) and next year we are going to do a KK for the kids on dads side as all us siblings have gone my gosh these kids are getting overloaded.  It works out we will prob get a toddler/baby and a child each.  Probably spend about $30ish dollars on each then.

#23 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

$50 is a lot to spend on each child. Add a few more to buy for and it will really add up. I would spend no than $30.

We had to put a stop to buying for all the nieces and nephews because there were so many of them and we just couldn't afford it.

We had the most kids to buy for out of everyone in the family. We just told everyone our situation and we couldn't keep giving presents to everyone.

#24 katiebear26

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

for DH's family (with 4 kids around the age of our DD) i'm spending around $50 each, but as the brood grows we may need to reduce that. there are also a few birthdays straight after Christmas so they get about $30 each.

my side of the family do a secret santa for the kids as there are a lot and they all get lots of presents from thier own families already. i think the limit is $50 and once they turn 18 they aren't invovled.

i understand your DH's problem as it's a bit rich to just regift second hand stuff, but then again i know that in the past we've not been able to afford much and from my perspective it was the thought that went into the present that counted. i've spent hours researching good presents DH's family will like so i hope that no matter the price they will appreciate it! and yes i do buy stuff on sale, why not? if i can get a normally expensive present under my price limit, or can afford to buy a couple of things because they are on sale, then i'll do it.

#25 Littleone84

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I only have 2 nephews:

N1 has his birthday early december and this year we spent $80 on his birthday and $80 on Christmas presents

N2 is only 1 so we have got him one toy which was $40 and some clothes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.