Any one else concerend with putting on too much weight?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Krunchie29

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Hi there ladies

as happy as I am be pregnant for our first, I am concerned about putting on too much weight.

Im not exactly obese, but I am in the overweight category (162cm/5ft 4inches and about 79kg)

this is the heaveist I have ever been, put on a lot of weight in the last two years due to stresses of conceiving, surgery. IVF etc, as I am an emotional eater.

Now, i am fully aware that I will put on weight and I am not worried about that, its the hitting 100kg that worries me, putting on too much weight that leads to gestational diabetes, larger babies and babies with a higher risk of diabetes themselves (DH has type 1 diabetes and while its not been proved to be herediarty (sp?) there are links) so i want to avoid it as much as i can!

So, the point of this post was not to whinge and be paranoid, but to ask what are you doing to ensure you dont put on too much...

I am going to try to stick to logging my food intake with myfitness pal so if it does start to stack on I can attempt to see how/where/why.

I will start pregnancy yoga next year but also keep up my current gym classes but make sure I go regularly and not haphazardly!

I am going to dig out my heart monitor and make sure my heart rate doesnt get too high

but also, have a good talk with my clinic/obs/GP/midwife or whoever about my concerns and get their advice

does any returning mummies have advice on what they did well/wish they had done last time etc.?

#2 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Last time once I got past being sick I made up for it by literally eating for 2, I won't be doing that this time! I also have a really bad soft spot for chocolate and ice cream, so am going to consciously NOT eat it everyday this time round!! As long as you eat sensibly and continue to do some exercise you should be fine.

#3 Flickster

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'm due with my first in July, and having seen a couple of friends pile on the weight with their firsts (each now about 3 months old), I'm determined not to do that!

I'm determined not to make the excuse that I'm 'eating for two', and not to give in to eating ice-cream/chocolate every day too (I'm totally addicted to ice-cream!!!).

I'm going into this thinking that I'm only going to eat what I want bubba to eat - so lots of fruit/veggies, and only the occasional treat.  I'm also planning to go to the gym regularly, and work with a personal trainer every few weeks (I'm definitely not a gym-junkie, I just want to be fit/healthy for labour!).

Good luck with it Krunchie!!

#4 RellBell

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

I'm planning on going to see a nutritionist next week to get an eating plan and advice - so I can get the proper nutrients and I don't want to pack on the weight. I'm almost 9 weeks now and the reason I haven't been yet is at the moment i'm so sick that the only things I can hold down are toast, scrambled eggs and mac & cheese. I gained about 3 kilos very early but it's tapered off a little with morning sickness.

#5 crackles

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

cut down on gluten, sugar and lactose. Don't have to 100% cut it out but the weight falls off you even tho not doing any exercise.
I'm not doing it as strict as my dh but at home we have cut out 95% gluten, use soy milk (tho we still have normal cheese and butter) and have reduced impulse buying chocolate, sweet biscuits etc.
The weight has fallen off dh - not that he needed to lose weight and I am not stacking on the weight this pregnancy like I did with the last 2.
We don't really worry when we're out about gluten/sugar/milk etc just have whatever. I still like to have toast/bread every now and then but i don't have it 2-4 times a day like I used to.
Also up the intake of fresh fruit and veg

#6 Corella

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

I eat paleo normally and lost weight easily post #1 and haven't put on any so far due to morning sickness. Could you consider something like that?

#7 Bombom

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

10 weeks - almost Nil weight gain
sensible eating, eating just like before I got pregnant lots of water no sugary drinks
still continuing active lifestyle though doing it a bit less than before - jog 2 x a week, walk everyday, aerobics everyday and play sports once a week.
My OB said it is alright to continue being active as long as I'm not having cramps or bleeding, she said it is really good for me for the pregnancy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.