Feeling guilty about negletting my cat

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 key_gal

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I have a cat which I adore. After being pregnant i dont snuggle as much with him nor do I dare to allow him to sleep in my bed anymore. He is completely indoor cat but still worried about the chances.

To make things worse my parents have been having fits because i refused to give him away to be "100% sure". I am even worried that they will try to chuck him out if im not at home when they come to visit. Asian parents are such control freaks when it comes to their precious grandkids being at risk.

Its so lonely to sleep without him... And i know hes upset cos he meows to try to get into my bedroom at night.

#2 strawberry blondes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Do you realise the chances of catching anything from him is extremely small and even smaller because he is an indoor cat!
Don't stop giving him cuddles and sleeping with him etc, the poor boy will start feeling depressed. As long as you wash your hands before eating etc you will be fine. I am PG with no4 and had cats throughout all of my pregnancies and still snuggle my 2 cats now in bed every night. I just don't deal with litter trays DH does that.

Please don't get rid of him either Cats and babies/children are brilliant together. You will probably find he won't be interested until your baby is crawling.

#3 Eirlys

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

I agree with strawberry blondes.

Stay away from the kitty litter, and you are very unlikely to catch anything from the cat.

As much as cats dislike change if you do it gradually everything will be fine.

#4 CalEliKat

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Abandon him now and he will associate the abandonment with the baby.  Cats do not forget and his frustration will be directed at the baby.

Just stay away from the kitty litter.  Chances are, you already have antibodies to Toxo anyway with him being an indoor cat.

#5 Apageintime

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I agree with PPs you're really very unlikely to catch anything. Let him in your room.

Also are your parent worried about him smothering the baby? Because thats a well debunked myth.

Poor kitty - give him some cuddles, there's nothing better than the sound of purring in the morning.

#6 Satay Chicken

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

I adore my cat too OP and I cannot just stop doing what I have always done.  Mine still sleeps with me, now more so than before.  I'm just very particular about washing my hands now.
I also still scoop his litter, afterall I am only touching the scopper and not poos or wees - DH however bleeches the tray every week now - I won't do that...

Agree with the others, being and indoor cat they are much cleaner than a wonderer...

So, I say - its cuddle Kitty time.....

Edited by Satay chicken, 20 November 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#7 missy78

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I am nine months pregnant (sorry, just ended up here from recent threads!)and am still enjoying kitty cuddles. The poor thing fell off the bed last night though when I was tossing and turning though! He sleeps on my stomach and legs -  there has been absolutely no effect on baby. DP is in charge of kitty litter duty.

The cat smothering baby thing is a myth. Cats are generally afraid of babies - they make a lot if noise and sudden movements. We are expecting kitty to spend a few days hiding in the cupboard when baby comes home.

Expect your parents to give you a whole lot more "advice"! Just smile and nod. Besides, when you took in this cat, you made a lifetime commitment.

Edited by missy78, 20 November 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#8 leJadie

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

I was really worried about this too when I first got pregnant. After lots of reading I am feeling much better about it though. I have an indoor only cat, she isn't to snuggly unless she want to be but still sleeps on the foot of our bed and sometimes snuggles in my neck or arms.  

I still do the litter, most of the time with gloves on and it gets sprayed down with glen 20 every day or so as well as changed and disinfected weekly with pine-o-clean! I also wash my hands a lot after patting any of my pets.

Poor kitty, I'd give him a cuddle! he sounds like he misses you original.gif

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Key-gal, it isn't necessary to kick your kitty out of your bed, unless you're planning on co-sleeping, and need the extra room. My cat continued to sleep with me, while DD slept in her cot right next to my bed. Most cats who are 100% indoors don't carry toxoplasmosis (or any parasites or other nasties for that matter), so you are not at risk for that illness. But its a good excuse to have your DH do the litter. wink.gif

If you're concerned about the cat when your parents come to visit, perhaps try a regime of popping him into a room that they don't go into - a spare room, your room, the laundry? Make it comfortable, and explain that is the place he goes when you don't want him to interact with bub. If they're concerned when you're not there, they can pop him into the laundry as well. I'd go ballistic if any of my family suggested my cat be chucked outdoors - she's 20yo and has never been outside. She wouldn't know what to do with outdoors.

FWIW, my cat (not known for her placid nature - the vet describes her as feisty) sniffed my DD, then proceeding to 'claim' the new human as hers, when she wasn't crying. Its been 7 years now, and they are the best of friends. My cat now has her trained to hand over food and treats - and share her lap. She also accompanies her to her bedroom to supervise her going to bed every night. Its totally adorable.

Congratulations, and I'm sure your future bub will grow up with a loving furry friend.

#10 Feralyap

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

Key_Gal, I know you've had plenty of responses, all of which I agree with, but just a slightly different one which might make you feel even more confident.

I'm around 8 weeks pregnant. My dog picked up toxoplasmosis about 2 years ago (probably from eating cat faces. Charming, I know). He sleeps on the floor next to my bed. I also still have the same cat that he would have caught it off. So I can be fairly confident that they can both pass it on to me. I still play with my dog heaps, he lies on the bed with us. & the cat gets on the bed for pats too sometimes.

I understand the concern, but I figure as long as you and your partner if he touches the cat, are good about hygene. Especially before you eat. Then I think there should be no problem.

I know having a baby is probably the most important thing most women will ever do, but I think it's pointless being so cautious that you can't enjoy life anymore.

Hope it all goes well for you!

#11 ~buzz~

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (missy78 @ 20/11/2012, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am nine months pregnant (sorry, just ended up here from recent threads!)and am still enjoying kitty cuddles. The poor thing fell off the bed last night though when I was tossing and turning though! He sleeps on my stomach and legs -  there has been absolutely no effect on baby. DP is in charge of kitty litter duty.

The cat smothering baby thing is a myth. Cats are generally afraid of babies - they make a lot if noise and sudden movements. We are expecting kitty to spend a few days hiding in the cupboard when baby comes home.

Expect your parents to give you a whole lot more "advice"! Just smile and nod. Besides, when you took in this cat, you made a lifetime commitment.

this I have had that many people ask what we are doing with the cat now that we will have a baby and there is no way I would kick her outside or give her up. most likely she will be terrified of it as she is terrified of everything and then will probably ignore it. just stay away from the litter and enjoy some cuddles original.gif

#12 strawberrycakes

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I also wouldn't stop the snuggles, I had a cat during my pregnancy & he was an outdoor & indoor cat & it never bothered me.  DH just took over the litter tray cleaning during that time.

#13 Clare L

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Agree with all the above - we have two cats and they're still getting all the same love and attention. Once LO is here, we'll be watchful in case they get too curious, but there's no way I'd get rid of them - they are part of the family.

Clare
xxx

#14 countrychic29

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hi OP, sorry crashing in here from the May DIG.
I understand your concerns but really as long as you practice good hygiene you will be fine, particularly with an indoor cat.
FWIW - I was surprised given i have always been around and lived with cats both indoor and outdoor that i didnt have any antibodies for toxoplasmosis which means i have never been exposed.
so i will continue just washing my hands after playing with him and wiping the benches in case the little bugger climbs up while we are in bed original.gif

#15 key_gal

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

My cat has a bad habit of jumping on to the dinning table after he come in from outside doing his stuff in the litter box. I am trying to teach him on table = water sprayed atm. Still hard to keep him off it. I do wipe the table a few times a day but i think i will start disinfecting it too. The kitchen bench is another big question. You cant tell what hes up to when we are at work.

#16 LadyElwood

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

not sure if it true,  but you can get you cat tested to see he if/she is a carrier. perhaps ring the vet

#17 key_gal

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (LadyElwood @ 27/11/2012, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not sure if it true, but you can get you cat tested to see he if/she is a carrier. perhaps ring the vet

nope i did n vet said it is not possible.

#18 Eirinn

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I agree with the others you don't need to worry about toxo.My GP said most cats over 6 months would have had it at one stage and therefore won't be a risk. I will go against the grain and say you should start discouraging the cat from sleeping on your bed. You don't know at this stage whether or not you will cosleep, and I personally wouldn't want a cat and a baby sleeping on the same bed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.