Urgent Help Needed! 14 mo Poo Machine is on overdrive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hicoco

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Help! My 14 mo DD has had numerous poo explosions already this morning (five or six - I've lost count I'm so drugged by their foul smell. sick.gif ) So, I wanted to ask for help in EB land about what (if anything / or everything) could have caused this dire situation...

Her life in the last few days:
  1. Moved to Aldi formula on Sunday 11 November. Was previously on Karicare Gold Toddler (3). I just checked out other EB posts re Aldi formula - some said great, others said it makes their baby chucky. So not sure.
  2. She got sick this Sunday afternoon (18 November.) Very high fever. Grumpy grumpy so and so. Had two doses of 1-5 yo Panadol suspension, then another one yesterday morning.
  3. Yesterday - took her to the doctor who diagnosed yet another ear infection. Prescribed her antibiotics - Amoxil 5ml 3 times a day. She had a dose at lunchtime then one last night.
  4. She ate a very small amount of spag bol and banana custard for dinner.
  5. Doctor also recommended a probiotic so I bought Kids Inner Health probiotic powder. 2.3 gm in apple puree yesterday at lunch, and the same in her weetbix this morning.
  6. Because she is still in a lot of pain with the ear (which will be cut off if she has another ear infection soon ...grrrrr) she had a dose of 1-5 yo Panadol syrup (new bottle, forgot to get the suspension stuff she likes) last night and then one again this morning.
So with everything new that is going on I don't know what has caused the poo explosions. They are all huge poos. The first was all sandy little black spots and took about a million wipes to clean off her bum. The rest still have black sand but have been very very runny. I learnt to my cost not to leave it for one second after she had pooed, otherwise the nappy just doesn't cope.

Could it be the new formula?

Or the AB's?

Or the probiotic?

Or the new Panadol?

Or all or nothing of the above?

She is (finally) asleep now - must be feeling very relaxed - so if it is the formula then I will have to wait until later to go get some more Karicare. But it will be worth it for her to stop being such a poo machine!

#2 JoMarch

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

I think it could be any of those things, but amoxil is definately known for gastro intestinal upset so could be that.  If so maybe see your GP again, but don't stop the ABs unless the GP advises to.  

I agree with the PP that I don't think it would be the new formula, shes been on it for a while now.  And also agree in keeping her well hydrated. I also doubt if its the panadol.  Panadol really is gentle on the stomach.  

Hope shes better soon. original.gif

#3 hicoco

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Thanks 20% Cooler. Yes I forgot to mention that she also has two big bottom teeth just poking through. So she is in a right state at the moment as you can imagine.

Re the probiotic at the same time as the AB's - I specifically asked the doctor about this. I said 'so I should give it to her when she finishes the AB's?' He said - 'no give it to her at the same time because while the AB's will kill everything (good and bad) the probiotic will give her back the good stuff so her system gets back into shape faster than waiting until she finishes the ABs and then starting the probiotic.'  

I am confused now. I watched the ABC program about autism recently, with the comments that perhaps ABs at a young age may contribute. Not sure what I believe but DD has had ABs a fair few times in her young life due to the ear infections so I wanted her to have a probiotic to counteract the ABs.

She is awake again and I just popped my head in her door. There is A SMELL. Wish me luck...

#4 SnazzyFeral

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

DS (15mths) can get yucky poos if he is under the weather and they can go on for a few days. The black spots could be banana?

#5 Fanny McPhail

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

WARNING TMI COMING UP!

My DS was prone to ear infections as a littlie and had many courses of amoxil. It did affect his bowel movements the poos became a greeny-greyish colour, the consistency was soft to runny sick.gif and the odour was overwhelming . I always put it down to his body trying to expel the infection.

I'm sorry your little one is ill. It is not an easy thing to watch your baby seem so sick. Look after yourself and prepare yourself for being held hostage on the sofa by a clinghy whimpering little one.

#6 Escapin

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

I vote antibiotics too. Plus maybe the probiotic being extra effective? It will probably be over soon, so hopefully you can just ride it out and you have enough clean clothes for your LO (and yourself!).

#7 sne

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Try giving the probiotics at least an hour away from any dose of antibiotics as the antibiotics kill all microbes including those in the probiotic supplement.  Giving them at least an hour apart allows the probiotic maximum effectiveness.  

Good luck.  My son is on amoxl for ear infections at the moment and it makes his bowel motions really gross and irritate his bottom.

#8 Charri36

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'd say the poo explosions are due to the antibiotics.

ph34r.gif my body does it too, it's the infection coming out, the poor little mite, probably has a tummy full of mucus from the ear infection. It's actually a good thing - the poos. Just make sure you keep fluids up - meaning water, you might find dairy including formula makes it worse, I would return to the doctors if you are worried though, you can always make an appointment for tomorrow or the next day and cancel it if need be.

#9 Fanny McPhail

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (hicoco @ 20/11/2012, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure what I believe but DD has had ABs a fair few times in her young life due to the ear infections .

Have you asked for a referral to see a ENT, if she is getting repeated ear infections she may need grommits.

My son first visited his ENT at 9 months of age due to repeated ear infections and multiple courses of AB. Our ENT monitored DS for 8 months before deciding that the problem wasn't going to fix itself. I have said this before on EB but grommits have been the best thing I have ever done for my son. Since they were inserted he has not had a single ear infection and it also cleared up some none ear related issues.

Anyway I hope your little one is better soon.

#10 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

panadol gives my son nasty runs as it contains sorbitol which can have a laxative effect in some people. But if she never usually has a problem with panadol it probably wouldnt be that.

Poor little thing hope she is better assap

#11 HurryUpAlready

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hi OP.

My 9 month DD is on AB's now for a nasty cold and the GP did say that they may cause some diarrhea which is ok (mild case) but if it is a bad case & continues then to let her know.

It sounds like your DD's is pretty nasty. Might be worth a trip back to the GP. Maybe they can change the type if AB to something that won't upset her tummy as much.

Given her multiple ear infections, I'd be going to an ENT as well. Poor little bubba, between her ears, the teeth, her tummy... no wonder she is miserable.  ohmy.gif(

#12 hicoco

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have been busy washing the cot, the mattress, the wall, her. You get the idea.

Yes the doctor did discuss grommets, esp because she always has infections in her left ear, occasionally in the right as well, but always in the left. Perhaps she just has one wonky small ear canal on the left? Who knows. But yes if the ABs don't knock this on the head straightaway the doctor will refer me to an ENT.

I will spread the pro and anti biotics out by an hour, thanks sne. And yes, I am keeping her fluids up - don't want her dehydrated on top of everything else. If she gets worse if it back to the doctor we go.

She is asleep again. But now I know what that brings I am a bit scared...

#13 Nematode

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Check the warning on the AB. Pretty sure it says to check with GP if diarrhea occurs as it can indicate a potential problem. Other than that I would advise (based on advice and experience) cutting out dairy for a day or so, as this can irritate the bowel.

#14 qak

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

I agree with increasing the time between the ABs and probiotics.

Also I thought if you had black grainy bits in the poo it can indicate a problem caused by the ABs? Why don't you call the chemist & check that, if youwere not given an information leaflet with the medicine.

#15 HollyDocker

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Not wanting to alarm you, but Black sand type stuff, if it is not kiwi fruit or banana related, can be concerning - something worth getting a medical opinion on, as blood from the GIT can show up in faeces this way. In any case, it is worth a call to the doctor re the diarrhoea-antibiotic association, she might need to be swapped to another script.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win Coles Little Explorer nappies for your toddler

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

'Why we called our daughter Wyatt'

Ashton Kutcher has spoken about how he and Mila Kunis chose their daughter's name - and why they've set up her social media accounts.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.