Managing Christmas present expectations

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Molondy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

I encouraged the kids to do their letters to Santa on the weekend. My son wants a Woody doll and a Mr Potato Head. My daughter (6) wants an ipod touch and hair bands.

I had already planned to get the Woody doll but I'm not getting my daughter an ipod touch. I think she is to young, she already has plenty of screen time and it will only cause fights between her and her brother.

I broke the news to her today and further dampened her expectations why I told her that No, she wouldn't "just" be getting a DS instead (same reasons as above although she's probably not too young for a DS).

Anyway she is very very upset and I am dreading Christmas morning with our entire family which includes 6 kids ranging in age from 3 - 7 with Grace chucking a tantrum because she isn't getting a bloody ipod. Not to mention the pain I feel when my suck ass presents fail to measure up.

Edited by Molondy, 19 November 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#2 girltribe4

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

I have no answers because I am dealing with a '' Even Santa will not bring a $400+ lego thingy'' '' No the Elves can't just make it ''

#3 amaza

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm dealing with a $400 'electric go kart' myself. When I said it cost too much he said 'oh but Santa makes his toys.' I told him that the parts still cost lots of money and it's not fair for all the other children if Santa spent so much money on just him. Then I worked hard to excite him about other toys.

He seems to have accepted it so far (he is 6 too).

#4 Penguin78

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Its a good lesson for her to learn.. dont let it get to you OP... Christmas isnt about the presents, and she will get that one day...

bbighug.gif

#5 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

She's 6, she'll get over it.

#6 Ianthe

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

This might sound weird but I have never asked my kids to do letters to Santa. Santa just brings little things here so I didn't want them to get their hearts set on something and be disappointed on Christmas Day. I could always assess what they would enjoy based on their current interests.

#7 EssentialBludger

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

This is the reason Santa doesn't bring flashy things in this house. ph34r.gif

Santa fills the stocking here with little bits and bobs. hair ties, bubbles, textas, stationary, lollies, drink bottles etc.

My kids have never asked for anything extravaggant from Santa. They ask me and I tell them yes/no depending on if I can afford it or not.

#8 mummanazz

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I think you are doing the right thing if it makes you feel any better, OP  original.gif

#9 WhatWouldBuffyDo?

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

I also agree you are doing the right thing.

I have told my daughters that while Santa brings the presents, Mum and Dad get the right to veto.  If we don't want Santa to bring an iPod, he will respect that.

They have accepted it so far. (Phew)

#10 Fr0g

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, tell your DD that Santa isn't bringing my 11 year old a much coveted X-Box, either, if it makes her feel better.

(In fact, he persists in nagging, Santa may bring him a lump of coal, rolled in glitter if he's feeling charitable :/ )

They'll survive.

Edited by FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog, 19 November 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#11 Funwith3

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 19/11/2012, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not necessarily.
My 7 year old DD wrote her Santa letter on the weekend too. She asked for a DS. She's been putting a DS on her Santa and birthday list ever since DS's came out. Well, at least since she was 4 anyway. She definitely hasn't gotten over it.

She's not getting it because same as you OP, I think she gets plenty of screen time with television, iPod, computer and iPad. And it will cause fights.

OP, would it be a compromise to get her just the iPod shuffle? Not really a screen on it, they just play music. You could even load it up with just kids music.

Edited by Funwith3, 19 November 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#12 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Santa tries to bring what you realy want in our house. But I tell the kids he knows what is best for you and it might not be the thing you have asked for.

I wouldn't worry about. She will most likely be over it soon enough and forget about it on the bid day with all the excitement.

#13 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Last year my nephew was very unimpressed with the books i gave him  "thats not a toy".  This year we asked SIL what he wanted and were told a very specific skylander toy.  Then we heard he threw a tantrum becuase he wanted the toy now not at christmas.  We went to 7 shops and no one has it so we got him a skylander accessory  - I am sure there will be a tantrum at christmas when it is not what he wanted.  If I was his mother I would take it away and he wouldn't get anything, but I cant see that happening.

#14 MsNorbury

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Last year my nephew was very unimpressed with the books i gave him "thats not a toy".

I felt like this as I was always the aunt who got my niece books, one year I tried to be the cool aunty and got toys/dvds and she did chuck a tanty because she wanted books, like I always get her rolleyes.gif

Back to what I know, she is getting a pile of books this year.

DD requested a mermaid tail from santa one year which he delivered, but it wasn't up to scratch (it didn't actually turn her into a real mermaid). She has since come to the conclusion that the nice surprises santa picks are usually better than whet she asks for.

Edited by juliettesmum, 19 November 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#15 Molondy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Yes well thanks - I am aware she will get over it but I'm not actually worried about her I'm worried about me having to deal with her attitude (not surprisingly her attitude is something of an issue with us at the moment).

Thanks to everyone who helped me realise I am not alone!
OP, would it be a compromise to get her just the iPod shuffle?

That's a nice idea but I doubt it would cut it - its all about the screen time and, of course, what "all" her friends (that is one) have....

I just have to suck it up on the day and hope she is distracted by the clothes, books, stationery set, towel (another specific request) and build a  bear voucher!!!

#16 Flaxen

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Long time ago now  tongue.gif , but mum had me write a letter to santa about all the good deeds i had, or hadnt done. I now see it as a way of recognising the good, and owning up to the bad, and is the way i will do it for my DD. It was never a letter for specific items i wanted, but i was able to give hints on what type of things interested me. (ponies, the colour green, colouring in ect)

Edited by Flaxen, 19 November 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#17 lafonda

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

I got DS to do his letter too, he would like a wrestler and a title belt, both of which I can do.

#18 jayskette

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

biggrin.gif The problem was that you said YOU won't give her the ipod instead of Santa

#19 julz78

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

6 yr old DS has baby brother on top of his list  ohmy.gif

#20 *Lib*

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

I got my dd to do a list for santa....she then emailed it to my parents and put a $ sign beside the things she really wants.

She's had a DS and a dsi. Now she wants the DS3D. I told her no way in hell.

#21 OneProudMum

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Seriously my DS is 8 and he has no issues with what other kids have and whether he measures up.

#22 DragonflyGal

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

My 3.5 year old wants a rocket ship. Not a toy one, a "real one, a really real rocket ship".
wacko.gif

#23 Shellby

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

If she is having attitude problem then not getting it for her is most likely a better gift anyway - it is an important lesson to learn you don't always get what you ask for. All I can suggest is not bringing the subject up and work on it on the day, if she has a melt down because she didn't get what she wanted then you can punish her then - she may surprise you and just be happy with what she gets.

Guess I am lucky, my boys really are happy with whatever they get, we never focus on gifts for Christmas, might ask what they will like but they don't expect it. This year it's Lego, so will be one big set each and some little sets.

#24 libbylu

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Santa only brings small presents in our house too.
The bigger presents come from Mum and Dad, and sometimes grandparents.
DS doesn't write a letter to santa but he keeps a present wishlist which he adds to everytime he sees something he wants.  This helps manage the fuss at the shops when buying gifts for other kids or when he's been at a friends house and seen other cool toys he doesn't have.  In response to the 'I wanna xyz" whinge, I just say "add it to your list".
Before Christmas I let him know that he will only be getting a few things from the list, and then we get what seems reasonable/possible.

#25 Broxie

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

So I'm the only one that would get her the iPod then?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.