Managing Christmas present expectations

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Molondy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

I encouraged the kids to do their letters to Santa on the weekend. My son wants a Woody doll and a Mr Potato Head. My daughter (6) wants an ipod touch and hair bands.

I had already planned to get the Woody doll but I'm not getting my daughter an ipod touch. I think she is to young, she already has plenty of screen time and it will only cause fights between her and her brother.

I broke the news to her today and further dampened her expectations why I told her that No, she wouldn't "just" be getting a DS instead (same reasons as above although she's probably not too young for a DS).

Anyway she is very very upset and I am dreading Christmas morning with our entire family which includes 6 kids ranging in age from 3 - 7 with Grace chucking a tantrum because she isn't getting a bloody ipod. Not to mention the pain I feel when my suck ass presents fail to measure up.

Edited by Molondy, 19 November 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#2 girltribe4

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

I have no answers because I am dealing with a '' Even Santa will not bring a $400+ lego thingy'' '' No the Elves can't just make it ''

#3 amaza

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm dealing with a $400 'electric go kart' myself. When I said it cost too much he said 'oh but Santa makes his toys.' I told him that the parts still cost lots of money and it's not fair for all the other children if Santa spent so much money on just him. Then I worked hard to excite him about other toys.

He seems to have accepted it so far (he is 6 too).

#4 Penguin78

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Its a good lesson for her to learn.. dont let it get to you OP... Christmas isnt about the presents, and she will get that one day...

bbighug.gif

#5 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

She's 6, she'll get over it.

#6 Ianthe

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

This might sound weird but I have never asked my kids to do letters to Santa. Santa just brings little things here so I didn't want them to get their hearts set on something and be disappointed on Christmas Day. I could always assess what they would enjoy based on their current interests.

#7 EssentialBludger

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

This is the reason Santa doesn't bring flashy things in this house. ph34r.gif

Santa fills the stocking here with little bits and bobs. hair ties, bubbles, textas, stationary, lollies, drink bottles etc.

My kids have never asked for anything extravaggant from Santa. They ask me and I tell them yes/no depending on if I can afford it or not.

#8 mummanazz

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I think you are doing the right thing if it makes you feel any better, OP  original.gif

#9 WhatWouldBuffyDo?

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

I also agree you are doing the right thing.

I have told my daughters that while Santa brings the presents, Mum and Dad get the right to veto.  If we don't want Santa to bring an iPod, he will respect that.

They have accepted it so far. (Phew)

#10 Fr0g

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, tell your DD that Santa isn't bringing my 11 year old a much coveted X-Box, either, if it makes her feel better.

(In fact, he persists in nagging, Santa may bring him a lump of coal, rolled in glitter if he's feeling charitable :/ )

They'll survive.

Edited by FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog, 19 November 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#11 Funwith3

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 19/11/2012, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not necessarily.
My 7 year old DD wrote her Santa letter on the weekend too. She asked for a DS. She's been putting a DS on her Santa and birthday list ever since DS's came out. Well, at least since she was 4 anyway. She definitely hasn't gotten over it.

She's not getting it because same as you OP, I think she gets plenty of screen time with television, iPod, computer and iPad. And it will cause fights.

OP, would it be a compromise to get her just the iPod shuffle? Not really a screen on it, they just play music. You could even load it up with just kids music.

Edited by Funwith3, 19 November 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#12 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Santa tries to bring what you realy want in our house. But I tell the kids he knows what is best for you and it might not be the thing you have asked for.

I wouldn't worry about. She will most likely be over it soon enough and forget about it on the bid day with all the excitement.

#13 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Last year my nephew was very unimpressed with the books i gave him  "thats not a toy".  This year we asked SIL what he wanted and were told a very specific skylander toy.  Then we heard he threw a tantrum becuase he wanted the toy now not at christmas.  We went to 7 shops and no one has it so we got him a skylander accessory  - I am sure there will be a tantrum at christmas when it is not what he wanted.  If I was his mother I would take it away and he wouldn't get anything, but I cant see that happening.

#14 MsNorbury

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Last year my nephew was very unimpressed with the books i gave him "thats not a toy".

I felt like this as I was always the aunt who got my niece books, one year I tried to be the cool aunty and got toys/dvds and she did chuck a tanty because she wanted books, like I always get her rolleyes.gif

Back to what I know, she is getting a pile of books this year.

DD requested a mermaid tail from santa one year which he delivered, but it wasn't up to scratch (it didn't actually turn her into a real mermaid). She has since come to the conclusion that the nice surprises santa picks are usually better than whet she asks for.

Edited by juliettesmum, 19 November 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#15 Molondy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Yes well thanks - I am aware she will get over it but I'm not actually worried about her I'm worried about me having to deal with her attitude (not surprisingly her attitude is something of an issue with us at the moment).

Thanks to everyone who helped me realise I am not alone!
OP, would it be a compromise to get her just the iPod shuffle?

That's a nice idea but I doubt it would cut it - its all about the screen time and, of course, what "all" her friends (that is one) have....

I just have to suck it up on the day and hope she is distracted by the clothes, books, stationery set, towel (another specific request) and build a  bear voucher!!!

#16 Flaxen

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Long time ago now  tongue.gif , but mum had me write a letter to santa about all the good deeds i had, or hadnt done. I now see it as a way of recognising the good, and owning up to the bad, and is the way i will do it for my DD. It was never a letter for specific items i wanted, but i was able to give hints on what type of things interested me. (ponies, the colour green, colouring in ect)

Edited by Flaxen, 19 November 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#17 lafonda

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

I got DS to do his letter too, he would like a wrestler and a title belt, both of which I can do.

#18 jayskette

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

biggrin.gif The problem was that you said YOU won't give her the ipod instead of Santa

#19 julz78

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

6 yr old DS has baby brother on top of his list  ohmy.gif

#20 *Lib*

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

I got my dd to do a list for santa....she then emailed it to my parents and put a $ sign beside the things she really wants.

She's had a DS and a dsi. Now she wants the DS3D. I told her no way in hell.

#21 OneProudMum

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Seriously my DS is 8 and he has no issues with what other kids have and whether he measures up.

#22 DragonflyGal

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

My 3.5 year old wants a rocket ship. Not a toy one, a "real one, a really real rocket ship".
wacko.gif

#23 Shellby

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

If she is having attitude problem then not getting it for her is most likely a better gift anyway - it is an important lesson to learn you don't always get what you ask for. All I can suggest is not bringing the subject up and work on it on the day, if she has a melt down because she didn't get what she wanted then you can punish her then - she may surprise you and just be happy with what she gets.

Guess I am lucky, my boys really are happy with whatever they get, we never focus on gifts for Christmas, might ask what they will like but they don't expect it. This year it's Lego, so will be one big set each and some little sets.

#24 libbylu

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Santa only brings small presents in our house too.
The bigger presents come from Mum and Dad, and sometimes grandparents.
DS doesn't write a letter to santa but he keeps a present wishlist which he adds to everytime he sees something he wants.  This helps manage the fuss at the shops when buying gifts for other kids or when he's been at a friends house and seen other cool toys he doesn't have.  In response to the 'I wanna xyz" whinge, I just say "add it to your list".
Before Christmas I let him know that he will only be getting a few things from the list, and then we get what seems reasonable/possible.

#25 Broxie

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

So I'm the only one that would get her the iPod then?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.