Grumpy bum after nap

12 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Kiwi

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

For the last 2 weeks my 9 month old DS wakes hysterical from his afternoon nap. He doesnt want me, doesnt want to play, he doesnt know what he wants. After quite some time he calms and I can start to distract him with play etc but he is a complete grizzle bum for the rest of the afternoon.  
Today he wouldnt calm at all and I had to carry and walk around with him. It is horrible!! I dont know whats wrong.

His routine is as follows:

5am - wakes (he has just started doing this as well). If I am lucky he will go back to sleep.
6.30 - was his normal wake up time. Bottle.
7.30 - breakfast
8.30 - 10.00 - Morning Sleep
11am - bottle
12pm - lunch
2.30-4/4.30 - Afternoon Sleep
4.30 - Dinner
5.15 - Bath
6.00 - Bottle
6/6.30 - Bed

Any suggestions as to why he could be doing this? He has just cut his top teeth and I can't see any others looming so I don't think it is teething.

Any tips on getting him out of the 5am wake up would be helpful too (I have tried putting him to bed later but it makes zero difference, he is VERY ready for bed at 6ish.

Thanks so much original.gif

#2 Miss Kiwi

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

bump

#3 mandala

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Could he be too warm during his nap? I find DS often sleeps longer in the afternoon when it's warmer, and then wakes up grumpy. I'm the same on the rare occasion I get an afternoon nap. Sort of like I slip into the next sleep cycle then wake up all hot and dry mouthed and grumpy.

As for the 5am wake up, suggestions I've heard are an earlier (yes, earlier) bedtime, putting some toys or books in the cot, making sure the room is warm enough, just waiting and seeing if they settle... we used the wait and see method, and over a period of a week or two, DS learned to play by himself for up to an hour in the cot before I went to get him up. We also changed the timer on the heater so it came on around 3am and kept the room a bit warmer.

#4 Jenflea

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I found my daughter woke grumpy for, oh, at least a year or more. Sorry sad.gif
Even now at 2.5 she sometimes finds it hard to wake up and wakes up grumpy. Apparently my SiL is STILL a bear in the mornings and she's over 30 so it MAY BE his nature.
Or it could be he's about to hit a milestone or 2. That can cause sleep problems.
5 am wakes ups...can he hear birds outside? my daughter went through a stage of waking with the birds at 5am or so. I'd bring her into bed with us, give a feed and she'd usually sleep until we got up at 7 ish. now at 2.5 she wakes up at 7 or 7.30 original.gif

#5 mum201

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

DH gets up at 5 and it always wakes bubba. Whack him into bed and give him a feed and he's usually back out unroll 8am

#6 Pssst...

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Just an idea, but could it be that he is going down for his afternoon nap too late and/or not sleeping long enough? My DD just turned 2 and she gets pretty ratty is she's up for more than 4 hours, not sure she would have coped with 4.5 between naps at 9 months. And even now if she doesn't sleep long enough she wakes grumpy for the afternoon

#7 TenOfSwords

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Does he have two naps? I'd consider cutting down to one nap.

Though have you ever had a nap and woken up feeling worse than you did before you had a nap? Maybe it's something like that?

#8 Fanny McPhail

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

My DS went through a phase of this, although I do think he was older than your son OP, perhaps 18 months old. I would cuddle and sooth and pat while being screamed at. I tried offering food and water as soon as he woke up because somebody told me is might be related to low sugar levels. I tried putting in the night garden on TV and watching it with him thinking that might distract him but it didn't. It was awful.

One day I snapped and as soon as he woke up screaming I put him in the car and drove off. He was so shocked at the change of response he immediately stopped crying and ate the little snacks I had prepared for him.

I continued to do this for the next couple of days and he stopped doing the screaming thing altogether.

good luck

#9 Natttmumm

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Could he be hungry?? It seems hes ready to eat straight away at 4:30. If mine wake up near food time they are hysterical and I cant seem to calm them down.

Is there some food and a drink that you could give him before the sleep around 2:15pm see if that helps. Otherwise its been over 4hours since he has had anything. I know for my kids as a general rule they need something every three hours or so - they are older but this still is the same.

As for the early wake ups again his evening meal and bottle is early on - he is already going a long time with out any solid food. My girls did the same routine at that age and it was hard to change. With DD2 I started to give her a bottle at 5am and back to bed then the routine was as follows (i cant remember the exact age that she did this but by 12 months she was on one sleep so it must have been around 9 months):

7:30 am - breakfast
9am - bottle
9:30am bed

11am - wake up

lunch at 12pm

2:30 - bottle and bed

5pm - was a grizzly time - i tried rusks etc for a snack

5:30pm dinner

7:00pm bottle

7:30pm bed

She would wake at 5ish and have about 100 mls and then sleep another 40 mins. Thats how i remember it

#10 Miss Kiwi

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (KRT @ 20/11/2012, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could he be too warm during his nap? I find DS often sleeps longer in the afternoon when it's warmer, and then wakes up grumpy. I'm the same on the rare occasion I get an afternoon nap. Sort of like I slip into the next sleep cycle then wake up all hot and dry mouthed and grumpy.

As for the 5am wake up, suggestions I've heard are an earlier (yes, earlier) bedtime, putting some toys or books in the cot, making sure the room is warm enough, just waiting and seeing if they settle... we used the wait and see method, and over a period of a week or two, DS learned to play by himself for up to an hour in the cot before I went to get him up. We also changed the timer on the heater so it came on around 3am and kept the room a bit warmer.

Thanks for your response. I did wonder about being too warm, he is down now for his avo nap and is in a singlet onesie, tshirt and summer sleeping bag. His room is 22deg so not too hot.

Re: 5am wake up, he was doing so well a couple of weeks ago when he would wake he would be happy to play and would often fall back to sleep until 6.30 sometimes 7. But now for some reason he wakes at 5 and is grizzly and not happy to be in his cot. I too wondered if he is cold, last night I tried putting a blanket but was a waste of time as he moves around too much. Tonight I think I might put him back in his winter sleeping bag seen as the weather is still up and down here in Sydney at the moment.

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 20/11/2012, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found my daughter woke grumpy for, oh, at least a year or more. Sorry sad.gif
Even now at 2.5 she sometimes finds it hard to wake up and wakes up grumpy. Apparently my SiL is STILL a bear in the mornings and she's over 30 so it MAY BE his nature.
Or it could be he's about to hit a milestone or 2. That can cause sleep problems.
5 am wakes ups...can he hear birds outside? my daughter went through a stage of waking with the birds at 5am or so. I'd bring her into bed with us, give a feed and she'd usually sleep until we got up at 7 ish. now at 2.5 she wakes up at 7 or 7.30 original.gif

Thanks for your response.
He has started to pull himself up onto things, so also did wonder if it was developmental. I would prefer not to get into the habit of comfort feeding as I just broke out of that a while ago. I will be see how things pan out before I start offering another feed.

QUOTE (Pssst... @ 20/11/2012, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just an idea, but could it be that he is going down for his afternoon nap too late and/or not sleeping long enough? My DD just turned 2 and she gets pretty ratty is she's up for more than 4 hours, not sure she would have coped with 4.5 between naps at 9 months. And even now if she doesn't sleep long enough she wakes grumpy for the afternoon

Yes! The reason I put him down so late to be honest is so that I dont have to deal with his grumpy self for too long after his afternoon sleep before he goes to bed. I put him down again today at 2.30 but will try tomorrow for 2pm and see how that goes.

QUOTE (RunawayPrincess @ 20/11/2012, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does he have two naps? I'd consider cutting down to one nap.

He is only 9mths I dont think he is ready to drop down to 1 sleep yet.

QUOTE (Natttmumm @ 20/11/2012, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could he be hungry?? It seems hes ready to eat straight away at 4:30. If mine wake up near food time they are hysterical and I cant seem to calm them down.

Is there some food and a drink that you could give him before the sleep around 2:15pm see if that helps. Otherwise its been over 4hours since he has had anything. I know for my kids as a general rule they need something every three hours or so - they are older but this still is the same.

As for the early wake ups again his evening meal and bottle is early on - he is already going a long time with out any solid food.

Thanks for your response. I will try and offer a snack before his afternoon nap tomorrow.

#11 Bluenomi

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

DD went through this stage, usually it meant she needed a longer nap so I'd leave her after checking on her and she'd go back to sleep for another hour.

She woke up grumpy from birth until about 2.5 years old.

#12 Le-a

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

DS started doing this when he was about one. He still does it occasionally and he is 22months. For us, it's usually because he hasn't slept for long enough. I try to resettle if I think he hasn't been down for long enough.

FTR, DS has had one day sleep per day since he was about ten months old.

#13 Miss Kiwi

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Le-a @ 20/11/2012, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DS started doing this when he was about one. He still does it occasionally and he is 22months. For us, it's usually because he hasn't slept for long enough. I try to resettle if I think he hasn't been down for long enough.

FTR, DS has had one day sleep per day since he was about ten months old.

Did you DS drop down to a morning or afternoon sleep? And how long was the sleep?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.