EB save me from the comments section!
climate change

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

I don't normally read climate change articles, I find them too depressing, especially when I cycle to and from work past 1000s of planet killers with one person in them...but I read this one...THEN made the hienous mistake of reading the comments section. I am now considering quitting my job to walk up and down george street with a billboard saying "The end is nigh"

EB, can you restore my faith that not everyone in the world thinks that climate change is a pinko conspiracy?

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/degrees-...1119-29l3c.html

#2 FeralBob!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

I can confirm that not everyone in the world thinks that climate change is a lefty pinko conspiracy  original.gif Even my dad thinks that something should be done  laugh.gif

#3 Feral Borgia

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

I think it's very real, and very scary.

I don't know what it is about climate change and the science around it that is so incompatible with right wing politics? Ok, the big polluters tend to be big business, and big business and the Liberal party are in bed together...is that it? Maybe so, but good luck with your share portfolios and beach houses when the oceans rise and natural disasters wipe the value off your stake in QBE.....

#4 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

the reality is that denial is easier to stomach than the reality and climate change experts are fighting peoples fear which is so overwhelmingly strong. Climate denailists are great at buying into that and play on the emotion involved.
By and large people are stupid though and we are all going to hell in a hand basket but that is just my take on it

#5 Amellyne

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Livsh,

I don't think everyone thinks its a conspiracy, but then I just finished reading comments about how teacher get over paid, don't work enough hours and don't do anything worth while in this world. So my opinion is currently in the mind set that only idiots spend their time commenting on news articles and the intelligent people are off doing something more important.

Hell according to these comments apparently it's teachers faults that kids are fatter and lazier than ever, so working on that theory, its probably Mars' fault that our planet is experiencing climate change.

#6 Anemonefish

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I work on coral reef fishes and so I have seen the effects of climate change first hand. It infuriates and saddens me to read those sorts of comments too, I usually try to avoid doing so, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

Unfortunately, the biggest culprits (the coal & oil industries) have the money to influence governments and the media. I hate the way the debate is portrayed by the media as having an equal number of proponents on each side. In reality, the vast majority of scientists working on this issue (climate scientists as well as biologists and others working directly with the effects of climate change) agree that climate change is happening, it's caused by humans, and it's something we need to act on immediately. In fact, we have already got to the point where irreversible changes are happening. Whatever we do now will be to slow down the rate of change.

#7 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Oh thank god, I was spiraling into a vortex of depression thinking about how doomed the planet was!

#8 archygrouseferal

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

There seems to me to have been an increase in the number of extremists commenting on SMH and The Age on several topics.  

Part of it might just be bad luck, but there's been a story or two recently about how some interest groups make it their business to pay employ people to seek out internet conversations and then spam it with the interest group's views.  This either kills the topic, by muzzling any intelligent debate, or changes reader's perspective on what public opinion about the topic actually is.  Climate change is a known prime candidate for this kind of malarky.

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm with archy on that - there are indeed groups who pay people to post on topics that are contrary to their interests with a view to shutting them down if they can't change opinion.

Climate change is a biggy, as was the tobacco lobby - though that was quite funny as Australians all seem to believe smoking is bad for you, even the smokers. So the 'conspiracy' theorist found little to work with as they couldn't get anyone to agree with a single one of their points. Kudos to us.

Oh, and for the record, in my view, based on my discussions with scientists who research climate, etc, we do have a strong case for anthropogenic climate change happening.

#10 kadoodle

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

I'm sure a lot of these comments writers are rent a trolls.  It's sodding disgraceful.

#11 Chelli

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I'm sure a lot of these comments writers are rent a trolls. It's sodding disgraceful.

I agree, a lot of people are just out for a reaction and will write outrageous comments to get some, especially in a comments section of a newspaper. It has completely put me off reading news comments online for that reason.

#12 steppy

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

At least the planet will get warmer and not colder. It would be a lot harder to deal with massive fields of ice again, when you think about it.

#13 Feral_Pooks

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

What cracks me up is when people (Barnaby Joyce, Bob Katter, et.al.) say things like "oh there is meant to be global warming yet there is the coldest summer in a decade, scoff scoff eyeroll, how do you greenies explain all the snow this year haha"

Ok, it cracks me up until I realise it is shaping public opinion and they have power. Then I wanna cry.

#14 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

That is a truly awesome attitude Tamm...I can't do anything so I won't bother, get used to a hurricanes, rising sea levels, over crowding and catastrophic loss of food production!

I get that it can feel like you are beating your head against a brick wall....believe me, on my commute I am filled with murderous thoughts of eco-terrorism as I go past 1000s of massive planet killers with one person in them. Does that mean that I'm just going to give up and get the biggest gas guzzler I can find? Bloody oath it isn't!

Yeah packaging is a flagrant waste of resources, but it's not like there aren't other options out there! Like perhaps not buying chewing gum at all....

The world is doomed, I'm off to get my billboard made up....

#15 Froger

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

The whole fecking thing is depressing. I'm currently writing sustainability policy for a service station. Surely up there with the most oxymoronic crap to ever be written. It's all about saying everything is better placed with producers and consumers and we'll just wack in a skylight and use recycled paper in the back office, and hey presto - sustainability.

But what does an individual do? Or even an individual business do? We have created a world where sustainability and care for the environment is impossible, even at a national or even world level. It's all about more and more and more and more growth. It can never be sustainable.

#16 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 21/11/2012, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What cracks me up is when people (Barnaby Joyce, Bob Katter, et.al.) say things like "oh there is meant to be global warming yet there is the coldest summer in a decade, scoff scoff eyeroll, how do you greenies explain all the snow this year haha"

Ok, it cracks me up until I realise it is shaping public opinion and they have power. Then I wanna cry.

Absolutely, makes me wanna puke!

The other day my Mum told me climate change wasn't real, we were just coming out of an ice age. But this is also the woman who doesn't believe in GM because she doesn't want her tomatoes to taste like pork...long story....

#17 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 21/11/2012, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The whole fecking thing is depressing. I'm currently writing sustainability policy for a service station. Surely up there with the most oxymoronic crap to ever be written. It's all about saying everything is better placed with producers and consumers and we'll just wack in a skylight and use recycled paper in the back office, and hey presto - sustainability.

But what does an individual do? Or even an individual business do? We have created a world where sustainability and care for the environment is impossible, even at a national or even world level. It's all about more and more and more and more growth. It can never be sustainable.

I know what you mean....head - wall. The whole world is going to hell in a handcart, come and join me and my billboard!

Actually eco-terrorism is looking pretty bloody attractive!

#18 ~shannon~

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (3Keiki @ 19/11/2012, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the reality is that denial is easier to stomach than the reality and climate change experts are fighting peoples fear which is so overwhelmingly strong. Climate denailists are great at buying into that and play on the emotion involved.
By and large people are stupid though and we are all going to hell in a hand basket but that is just my take on it

Could not have said it any better!

#19 NunSoFeral

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

You had me at "pinko", OP.

I get riled up, and then deflate under the enormous weight of ignorance that is matched only by arrogance.

And then get stupidly childish (like "accidently" throwing a dinner roll at a blustery, shout-over-the-top-py d*ckbag who regurgitated "pearls" from Mockton, Lindzen and the Mad Monk and asked where my tie-dye t-shirt was).

"...the little crazy children are jangling the keys to the kingdom..."

#20 archygrouseferal

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (gettheetoanunnery @ 21/11/2012, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And then get stupidly childish (like "accidently" throwing a dinner roll at a blustery, shout-over-the-top-py d*ckbag who regurgitated "pearls" from Mockton, Lindzen and the Mad Monk and asked where my tie-dye t-shirt was).

However stupid their views, Lindzen has quals and Abbott has a important position in Australian politics, so I suppose their views have to be at least considered seriously.

But Monckton?  You met someone who seriously quoted Monckton?  Really???  That is flabbergasting!  I mean, I know that there must be some people who believe what he says, but you don't expect to meet them, walking about like they are Normal People.  Was he wearing a tinfoil hat?

#21 NunSoFeral

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (archy's mehitabel @ 21/11/2012, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However stupid their views, Lindzen has quals and Abbott has a important position in Australian politics, so I suppose their views have to be at least considered seriously.

But Monckton?  You met someone who seriously quoted Monckton?  Really???  That is flabbergasting!  I mean, I know that there must be some people who believe what he says, but you don't expect to meet them, walking about like they are Normal People.  Was he wearing a tinfoil hat?

I did try really hard to be courteous and respectful of his opinions, even when he loudly branded me as "one of those" people, and eye-rolled me like a Mako.

And yes, he was a big advocate of Monckton (excuse prev. spelling) - he even started on the "he cured herpes" and how brilliant and misunderstood he was.

Lindzen didn't take studies which were contrary to his findings too graciously, which goes against the whole falsifiable philosophy.

As for TA - I consider him a serious threat, a seriously unstable person and seriously a bit of a douche - that's got to count, right?

#22 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

The moment someone says "Monckton" and starts quoting seriously, is the moment I point at them and start laughing so hard that tears come out. Sometimes the ridiculous requires ridiculing.

#23 EBeditor

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Astroturfing comment sections is a very established practice by various lobby groups, political parties etc. Moderating EB at election time is a nightmare!

#24 seayork2002

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

I agree something should be done BUT I have not been 100% convinced that these changes are all human made and not just the earths normal cycle (i.e the Ice Age and Dark Ages for modern examples)

#25 NunSoFeral

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 21/11/2012, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The moment someone says "Monckton" and starts quoting seriously, is the moment I point at them and start laughing so hard that tears come out. Sometimes the ridiculous requires ridiculing.

That would have been far more appropriate than lobbing a bread roll.
It was the derision and patronising attitude (coming from someone who backed up his argument with the likes of Monckton and Co) that tipped me over the edge and showed me up for the goose that I am - I was smokin' mad = lost the argument.

I need me some deportment.

Or a concealed weapon permit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.