what is Wrong with Beautiful people?

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 wonder woman

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Why does it seem here that it is generally less socially acceptable to like, prefer or praise people for their body (beauty, appearance) rather/more than their mind (knowledge, intelligence, wisdom) or behaviour?

If it's fine to choose form over function for things, why not for people?

Whilst I would work better and enjoy being with a beautiful/intelligent person more than an ugly/intelligent one, to me it's a question of the right balance.

And of course, one can always improve their appearance with makeup, their knowledge with books.

#2 BadCat

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

roll2.gif

I see praise all the time for people who have the pretty but bugger all for people with the smarts.

People choose form over function in people all the time.  That's why the divorce rate is so high.  He was so pretty, pity he turned out to have the intellect of a broom and the personality of a pit viper on crack.

#3 d├ęsir d'amour

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 19/11/2012, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
roll2.gif

I see praise all the time for people who have the pretty but bugger all for people with the smarts.

People choose form over function in people all the time.  That's why the divorce rate is so high.  He was so pretty, pity he turned out to have the intellect of a broom and the personality of a pit viper on crack.

I've dated primarily "unfortunate looking" men.  None of them have been as ugly as sin, but none of them have been pretty!   I will ALWAYS take a person on their personality.  Of course, it helps that I'm gorgeous, so I get a choice Tounge1.gif

#4 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

roll2.gif roll2.gif  

You should come and work with me OP, I am a nobel prize winning scientist who moonlights as a swimwear model!!

Maybe we should just tell all the "ugly/smart" people to work at home and save all the "pretty/dumb" people the trauma of looking at them?

#5 Walkers

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (wonder woman @ 19/11/2012, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why does it seem here that it is generally less socially acceptable to like, prefer or praise people for their body (beauty, appearance) rather/more than their mind (knowledge, intelligence, wisdom) or behaviour?

Whilst I would work better and enjoy being with a beautiful/intelligent person more than an ugly/intelligent one, to me it's a question of the right balance.

And of course, one can always improve their appearance with makeup, their knowledge with books.

What world are you living in?
Beauty worship is everywhere

#6 BadCat

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

I prefer to work alone lest the blemished visage of a co-worker ruin my day.   tongue.gif

I guess it comes down to whether you have a fascination with the world around you, or shiny things.

Edited by BadCat, 19 November 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#7 Ianthe

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

I only surround myself with beautiful, smart people like myself so I don't understand the question.

#8 ~Nodnol~

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 19/11/2012, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I prefer to work alone lest the blemished visage of a co-worker ruin my day.   tongue.gif

I guess it comes down to whether you have a fascination with the world around you, or shiny things.

#9 aprilrain

I don't think it is just beauty. I dislike any naturally occurring attribute being made too much fuss of.

What about intelligent people lording it over people with lower IQ's who find the same work much harder but put more effort in.

People with talent for sport who consider others lesser, but it was just luck they recieved the genetics for it.

I've taught my children that any attribute they have like this was God given and a responsibility to be used for everybodies good, not for just their own glory.

#10 BadCat

QUOTE (2handsdon'tspillit @ 19/11/2012, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is it, exactly, OP that makes you work better with the beyootiez around?

Because **** me, I'm at work now and the guy in  the office next door is a dish, but it appears that I procrastinate regardless.

Any tips?

You're not working closely enough with him.  Go sit on his lap.  It'll make ALL the difference.

#11 niggles

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

How often are people choosing form over function for things? Form and function maybe but as beautiful as a spherical coffee table might be, nobody is buying it.

People are not objects. I don't have them around for their aesthetic value. There is no real value in aesthetics when it comes to people, except for what we ascribe to it. That can't be said for intellect and behaviour.

I disagree with you wholeheartedly. There is no need to find a balance of brains and beauty in work colleagues and friends. That would be absurd.

#12 FeralBob!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (Ianthe @ 19/11/2012, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only surround myself with beautiful, smart people like myself so I don't understand the question.

I always knew there was a reason I'm friends with you  original.gif

OP, I have no idea where you'er coming from. We can all name a top model, but how many of us can name a Nobel Prze winning scientist?*

*Livish you are only allowed to answer on the grounds that you will in all probability be the exception that proves the rule  laugh.gif  tongue.gif

#13 FeralFerretOfDoom

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (niggles @ 19/11/2012, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How often are people choosing form over function for things? Form and function maybe but as beautiful as a spherical coffee table might be, nobody is buying it.

People are not objects. I don't have them around for their aesthetic value. There is no real value in aesthetics when it comes to people, except for what we ascribe to it. That can't be said for intellect and behaviour.

I disagree with you wholeheartedly. There is no need to find a balance of brains and beauty in work colleagues and friends. That would be absurd.

Saved me from a whole lot of typing by posting that - ta.

#14 Feral_Pooks

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

I think it's coz they jealous of us bewdiful ppl.

#15 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Wonder Woman making a late grab for 'most ridiculous question posed in 2012'

What about me, I am stunning and very, very good at what I do but very, very, very stupid at virtually everything else. Plus I have a memory the size of a pin. I get distracted by shiny thing and philosophy.

But shiny philosophy is my real area of interest.

Oo, I just saw a pretty dress *flounce*

#16 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (BobTheKelpie @ 19/11/2012, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always knew there was a reason I'm friends with you  original.gif

OP, I have no idea where you'er coming from. We can all name a top model, but how many of us can name a Nobel Prze winning scientist?*

*Livish you are only allowed to answer on the grounds that you will in all probability be the exception that proves the rule  laugh.gif  tongue.gif

that's easy! Livs_h is a nobel prize winner and a model!!

#17 Ally'smum

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (wonder woman @ 19/11/2012, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Op 1) I hope you don't work in medicine/education/law/science/finance/business/food production.

2) I can't think of a field that I hope you ARE actually working in so hopefully you are just sitting around at home being beautiful.

3) Actually I also hope you are not a parent.

#18 happening

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

I'm torn between Shiney Shiny Shiny http://www.lyrics007.com/Underground%20Vel...s%20Lyrics.html

and Shiny  shiny  http://www.lyricsfreak.com/h/haysi+fantayz...y_20858846.html

And btw there is absolutely nothing wrong me at all, thank you for asking.

If I read a book about make up, I will be even better looking - win//win...

Edited by happening, 19 November 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#19 Starrydawn

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I know right. You can just like tell by looking at them there's like something like wrong very wrong with them.

#20 BadCat

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Reminds me of Dirty Dancing:

Jake: Max, our Baby's gonna change the world.
Max:[to Lisa] And what are you gonna do, missy?
Baby: Oh, Lisa's going to decorate it.

It's SO much more important to be decorative.

Edited by BadCat, 19 November 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#21 Nofliesonme

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Beautiful people are looked at everyday..... I'm struggling with your question OP. what your point exactly???? I'm not Mona Lisa at all so I guess I should be glad I don't work with you. If people took the time to see people for who they are not what they look like it would be a better place.  I am judged for being overweight, I see the way people look at me, the lady walking down town is judged as being hot because she has the prefect looks and body..... But, she may have no personality. To me, I take personality over anything else original.gif

#22 seayork2002

Come again???

You mean I am meant to have my face made up for when I hand my husband his slippers when he gets home?

Can you please tell me who the decider of what is beauty is as I always it is presumed to be in the eye of the beholder?

Using him as an example (and no offence to him as a person) I do not see the fuss about Brad Pitt but others do...who is "right"???

It is all madness and I am vey happy I do not wear let alone own makeup not would consider plastic surgery (of any form)

Edited by seayork2002, 19 November 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#23 Jane Jetson

QUOTE (wonder woman @ 19/11/2012, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lolwut?

I suppose I could bang on a bit about how aspects of beauty are culturally derived (though certain rules do hold true, such as symmetry/Golden Mean or ratio) and thus do not hold constant over time and across cultures, whereas dumb and nasty people are dumb and nasty wherever they go. Or that being pretty achieves precisely nothing apart from flogging a few tubes of waxy stuff. But I is pretty so am too dozy to come up with a cogent argument.

#24 Ireckon

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with me.

I may be breathtakingly beautiful, yet I done has enough smarts to ....what was I saying?

#25 BadCat

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

I feel for you JaneJetson.  Being too pretty to mount a cohesive argument is a curse.  sad.gif

Luckily there is a new product I saw in an infomercial that can help you with that.  It's a kit consisting of a paper bag and a book.  You read the book then put the paper bag over your head, thus adressing the imbalance in your looks to brains ratio.

Simply phone 1800 IMSODUMB and order your kit today.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.