OMG they're not going to deny us are they?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Allie_D

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

DH and I got our police checks back for our IVF application.

Mine was fine, DH's on the other hand lists 2 court appearances back from when he was young and stupid.  Both were from when he was being influenced by bad friends (one theft, one criminal damage).  It says he was not convicted of either offense but had to pay compensation.

Please someone tell me this won't affect our application?!?!  Totally stressing right now!! wacko.gif

#2 jules095

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

You will need to call your clinic & discuss this with them.

From memory (if it is among the big no-no's), you will have to make a submission to VCAT & tell them the situations of the crimes.

More likely it will just delay you starting a cycle, rather than not being able to do one.

#3 Magnus

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I can't say for certain as we don't have police checks for IVF here in NSW.

But you can usually still get a blue card if you have minor crimes, just not violent crimes or crimes against the person or involving children. I imagine they would be looking for those kinds of crimes in the IVF police checks as well?

#4 Moo point

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I should hope not! My understanding is that it would only be if a child abuse/offence were committed?

It's so ridiculous, it smacks of discrimination to me - after all anyone with a court conviction and no fertility problems can have babies whenever they want. It's only Victoria, you could always go across the border for treatment, we didn't have to do checks in NSW...

I for one hope they take away this insulting legislation, in what other context is medical treatment denied on the basis of criminal conviction anyway??

#5 bokbok

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

No idea sorry as we don't have to do police checks in WA for IVF...really hope it won't go against you though.

How ridiculous that you have to do police checks to do IVF there...does every person who plans (or not plans!) on becoming a parent need to do these checks?! lol!
How very insulting to people doing IVF.

Edited by bokbok, 19 November 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#6 MrsLexiK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Allie_D no that sucks!!!!! I wouldn't think a minor charge which wasn't even a charge would stop you and FX it doesn't.

QUOTE (ange_75 @ 19/11/2012, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I should hope not! My understanding is that it would only be if a child abuse/offence were committed?

It's so ridiculous, it smacks of discrimination to me - after all anyone with a court conviction and no fertility problems can have babies whenever they want. It's only Victoria, you could always go across the border for treatment, we didn't have to do checks in NSW...

I for one hope they take away this insulting legislation, in what other context is medical treatment denied on the basis of criminal conviction anyway??

There was a case here a few years ago (if that) where the women was in jail so the IVF people said no.  SHe went to VCAT because she was over 40, and I think by the time she was released she would have been over the age to have IVF in VIC.  Now for that I can understand saying no to - many other women in jail don't get a chance to make babies whilst serving time for a crime (I think it was money fraud or something like that) so why should she. But for an ordianry person I think it is total discrimination and I am disgusted our govt brought it in.

#7 Allie_D

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I called my IVF nurse.  She had a bit of a giggle and said that they get quite a few guys (and girls I'm sure) who had minor charges when they were young and stupid!  She said it shouldn't be anything to worry about.  

She said they mainly look for charges relating to children (obviously) and things like serious assault (like Magnus said).  So hopefully all will be ok!  She said we'll hear from a counselor if they have an issues with it.  Hopefully they don't as DH was not convicted of either offense so I have my fingers crossed that it won't be an issue.

ange_75, bokbok, MrsLexiK I couldnt agree more!!  The whole idea of having to get the checks done really annoyed me!

#8 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Fingers crossed it doesn't hold you up too long.

It truly does suck that you guy's have to have a PC - but other states don't - also that everyone else wanting to have a baby don't have to do the same thing.

#9 happening

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Sorry to hijack but ......
My SIL and I were discussing this and I expressed my horror at the legislation.  Her response was 'I think you should have too, after all we don't want the lesbians having children'.  I always knew I didn't really like her.....

So wrong, on so many levels.  Possibly the single most stupid thing I have ever heard.

OP you should be fine, although if there was no conviction recorded I'd query why the details were released.

Edited by happening, 19 November 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#10 Feral Dinosaurus

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

How long ago was "young and stupid"?

If he was u/18 (maybe 16 in Vic) he can have the offences wiped after 5 years (so it looks exactly like yours) or 10 years if he was an adult (i think, again could be different in Vic).

Have you submitted to IVF? I would call the police and ask them - they will know.

All the best OP, if not go to NSW where they don't have police checks wink.gif

Happening - yes, that is pretty high in the dumb stakes!

#11 Flaxen

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (happening @ 19/11/2012, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My SIL and I were discussing this and I expressed my horror at the legislation.  Her response was 'I think you should have too, after all we don't want the lesbians having children'.  I always knew I didn't really like her.....

So wrong, on so many levels.  Possibly the single most stupid thing I have ever heard.

OP you should be fine, although if there was no conviction recorded I'd query why the details were released.

OMG thats awful, what a ignoramus. So according to her, being a lesbian will come up in a police check? L.O.L

#12 happening

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

The police know .....

I tell everyone this story and the reactions are almost identical....a moment of stunned horror at the ignorant, bigoted stupidity,  then a giggle at the amazing hugeness of the stupid.

#13 Mose

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi OP (love your hijack happening, but too flabbergasted to say anything about it!)

Glad to hear your IVF nurse didn't think it would be an issue.

There was actually a case recently where someone with prior child sex offences took up the cause after being refused IVF....and from recollection actually won the case.  I am trying to remember the details - I think it may have been DTD with someone who said they were of age and actually weren't, rather than any systematic abuse.  But in any case, given the ultimate outcome, I think the Victorian government should repeal the legislation, as it is clearly ineffective (was found to be a breach of human rights to deny IVF on this basis), and just causes stress to couples who are already in a pretty difficult place in their lives.

When my own IVF journey is over I am seriously considering starting a campaign to this end.  I think the only reason the legislation stands is that it's quicker to comply than to fight, and for most of us time is of the essence.  Then when we are holding our little ones we forget...

#14 Allie_D

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (happening @ 19/11/2012, 02:07 PM)
15091534[/url]']

oomg.gif  ddoh.gif  nno.gif  OMG!!

#15 gemgirl

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'm a lesbian that did IVF. Luckily I'm in a state with no police checks original.gif hahaha.

Oh and OP I hope it's all okay original.gif Good luck!

#16 Allie_D

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Got the all clear today!  Woo hoo!!! ddance.gif

DH is one lucky boy

#17 dimensionk

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Yay!!!! !! ! !!!     ! !! original.gif original.gif         original.gif

#18 casime

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

My SIL and I were discussing this and I expressed my horror at the legislation. Her response was 'I think you should have too, after all we don't want the lesbians having children'. I always knew I didn't really like her.....

Because only lesbians commit crimes?   unsure.gif

When my own IVF journey is over I am seriously considering starting a campaign to this end. I think the only reason the legislation stands is that it's quicker to comply than to fight, and for most of us time is of the essence. Then when we are holding our little ones we forget...

I agree with this.  I'd been having treatment for six years in another state, moved to Victoria and had to get a police check before I could commence treatment.   Silly!  Start a petition.  I'll sign it!

#19 happening

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 03/12/2012, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because only lesbians commit crimes?   unsure.gif

I agree with this.  I'd been having treatment for six years in another state, moved to Victoria and had to get a police check before I could commence treatment.   Silly!  Start a petition.  I'll sign it!

I thought she meant the police know who *The Lesbians* are  -  there's a list somewhere and the police have access to it.   All kinds of stupid.

Great news OP.

I'll sign the petition too.

#20 Poseidon768

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (happening @ 19/11/2012, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The police know .....

I tell everyone this story and the reactions are almost identical....a moment of stunned horror at the ignorant, bigoted stupidity,  then a giggle at the amazing hugeness of the stupid.

roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif
I know I'm a random, but I HAD to let you know happening.. that was some funny shizzle biggrin.gif
Bye now! biggrin.gif

#21 Mischief Managed

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Great news OP!! original.gif  Where too from here?

And I'm sure I'm on that lesbian list... I'm pretty sure they steal the info from the census. Thankfully I'm seeing a FS in a different state *rolls eyes*.

#22 Red Mollie

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (Allie_D @ 19/11/2012, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DH and I got our police checks back for our IVF application.

Mine was fine, DH's on the other hand lists 2 court appearances back from when he was young and stupid.  Both were from when he was being influenced by bad friends (one theft, one criminal damage).  It says he was not convicted of either offense but had to pay compensation.

Please someone tell me this won't affect our application?!?!  Totally stressing right now!! wacko.gif

Victoria seems to be the only state with checks NSW doesn't if they deny you go intestate. I think it's unfair that its even a consideration!

#23 Carrie_zmatik

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

I wonder why there is outrage at needing a police check for IVF yet for international adoption the parents have to go through so much worse, not just police checks but very invasive questions and interviews of them and their family/friends? In the situation with adoption everyone seems to agree that necessary and that all that people should be interested in is what's better for the child. I was just pondering why the situation is seen differently for IVF.
Now I am just pondering. I don't agree that it's right, and you can easily then wonder whether anyone should be having a baby without police checks, and can you imagine the police state we would all have to live in should everyone need 'approval' to have a baby. It would be awful. I am just pondering the difference between naturally conceiving, IVF and adoption and what is or is not ok.

#24 dae-gu

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

Last I heard you can't do an Intercountry adoption from China if you have even had a speeding fine!!!! But, that is China's crazy way of trying to cull families from their massive waiting list.....!!!

#25 Lottie*

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Ziondreamer you are so right on the hurdles placed on international adoption.    just as a side note that is OMG - in hong kong friends adopted - they had to have blood tests and could be rejected for having any form of herpes (that includes the cold sore - not just 'on the hoo haa' variety).  If you are a lesbian you had a tick a box and it came under the heading "mental illness".  There are plenty of examples and ridiculous and unfair rules everywhere.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.