Hi all

New thread time

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 Suz01

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Gold!

EDD today, doc reckons I'm 2 cms with a very soft cervix. Still cannot hope it'll be soonish though as no signs, nothing happening other than washing dishes and repacking bags.

#3 chic mummy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Silver

Baby has worried me last night and this morning with his movements. He has slowed down sad.gif I'm at the hospital at the moment with a ctg strapped to me for a bit. I really hope that he is OK sad.gif DH is at work so I'm here alone and I'm starting to stress. I can hear his heart beat but still I can't feel any movements sad.gif come on baby behave and stop worrying me.

I can't wait till he comes out and I can actually see that everything is ok.

#4 emnut

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

how did the monitoring go misslizzie?  Hoping that all is well.

We've had a looong day today with Henry having a lumbar puncture to see what is going on with him atm other than knowing he has some kind of infection  sad.gif   Brought back some memories of DS1 having one when he was 5 that still traumatises him to this day when he has to see drs etc.

#5 chic mummy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hello ... Just so everyone knows I'm using mu iPhone which is shocking for replying..

Emnut - sorry to hear about henrys infection I hope he gets better real quick. It's not fair he deserves a break to just get better, I'm constantly keeping him in my thoughts xx

Tj- sorry to hear about your mastitis it does sound painful from everything I've read about it. Hopefully your supply builds up to make feeding simpler for you. Hopefully your not too overwhelmed with looking after all the kids and expressing every 10 minutes. I hope it all starts to get better/easier.

Sorry I have read everyone's but a little hard to do everyone's personals on my phone.

They have started to induce me today. I'm currently in hospital I had a tape looking medicine thing inserted into the back of my cervix today to help me full dialate and get through the first 3 cms. They said as baby has slowed in movements and I'm pretty much full term there's no sense in prolonging the pregnancy so we can get him out as it's in his best interest. If I haven't effaced and started to dilate by the morning I'll have the gel inserted into me in the morning. My midwife said as soon as I'm 4cm/ favourable they will break my waters.

I'm just a little scared as this can eventuate into a c section if this induction fails. sad.gif oh well at the moment I will take it as it comes and this little peanut inside of me is my biggest priority so I dont care what it takes as long as he comes out healthy.

Dh has taken days of work to be by my side by noe it's past visiting hours and I'm dealing with pains all alone. sad.gif I miss my dh already and my gorgeous pup. I would rather be dealing with this at home. Oh well.

The mist disappointing thing is

#6 tanglez

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Misslizzie I know how scary it is believe me and I am thinking of you. Try to focus on that beautiful baby soon to be in your arms, imagine yourself protected within a cocoon of white light. Nurture and soothe yourself, you are in the best place to ensure yours and bubs safety xox
TJ oh gosh that sounds awful sad.gif I had seriously blocked ducts but was able to clear them after an excruciating two days of heat packs massage and expressing. Still having trouble getting a wide mouth latch Joseph has a high palate too and not having much luck adjusting but will see a LCD soon. Good luck xox
Emnut you are an absolute inspiration you and Henry. Hang in there,I am sending light love and healing prayers for a break through soon.
Suz01 fingers crossed things start moving for you original.gif oh how I remember the wait! Cherish every moment bubs is safe inside you and you can feel that amazing closeness, although there is nothing like holding my son I do at times miss massaging my big belly while eating ice cream and reading stories original.gif

Congratulations to all the new mums sorry I can't go back to the previous thread on this device
Squishy cuddles

#7 Suz01

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

OMG, my dad just phoned, asking if my mum should come over. I said that's great but the baby might not be here until next thursday! He then told me he can walk around a cow and tell if it'll give birth within half an hour....WTF!!! I said it could be this week or next. I can't put a day on it... seriously, do ppl think I've got control over this process? Arrgh.

#8 whatnamenow

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (Suz01 @ 20/11/2012, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG, my dad just phoned, asking if my mum should come over. I said that's great but the baby might not be here until next thursday! He then told me he can walk around a cow and tell if it'll give birth within half an hour....WTF!!! I said it could be this week or next. I can't put a day on it... seriously, do ppl think I've got control over this process? Arrgh.

ohmy.gif

Oh i feel for you.  That last few weeks when everyone ( including random strangers) decides to have an opinion on when you are giving birth is excrutiating.

I cant believe i have an almost 1 week old!!  The first few days when she did nothing but scream and didnt sleep i was worried about that, now the last few days she has done nothing but sleep and now i'm worried about that!  This mummy guilt/worry is a whole new ballgame.

i am really glad that my other kids are being really good about her too.  My middle child was really resenting the fact i was pregnant and refusing to have anything to do with it.  Would even scream at me when i started talking about being pregnant.  Now that Isabella is here she is a doting big sister.

i am struggling not to panic over everything though.  My youngest ( before isa came along ) was really sick as a baby and i was used to having to panic/watch everything.  Its hard not to jump back to that and worrying about every sneeze/weight gain/loss etc etc.

#9 R2B2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Just jumping in here to let you know that i've deactivated facebook for a while so am not in the group at the moment.

10 days over now and still no sign at all of baby.
will be induced next monday at 42+1 ohmy.gif

Hope you are all enjoying your new baby cuddles and for the ones still pregnant, hanging in as best you can wink.gif

#10 cojack

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi Everyone

I just thought I would drop in and say that last Wednesday my perfect little girl was delivered by c-section.  Everything went really well and she is beautiful.  Finding me feet at home with her so far soo good.  Her brothers think she is great!  Good luck to everyone else

#11 emnut

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

cojack - congratulations

misslizzie - hope your induction went well & you are having a lovely bonding time with your newborn

T.J. - how are you doing now with the mastitis.  Sounds like the switch to pumping has been good all round for you & Henry

Hoping all  the newborns & mums are doing well & that those still waiting aren't waiting too much longer.

I'm kind of a bit lost in the fog of what is likely a fun mix of PND combined with situational depression so largely in non-functioning mode right about now.  Henry's lumbar puncture didn't pick anything up so he is being treated for a random infection again - had yet another blood transfusion which has helped him pick up so we start the slow road to improvement again & hope this time we get a bit further along.

#12 Suz01

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Just popping in to say today's the day. Having labour pains, about 8 mind apart. I'm so relieved as I got DD into day care t the first signs of pain this morning and mum is doing the 2 he drive over
Even got a few microwave meals for mum and DH for tonight!!

All those with their bubs, congrats!!

Emnut, I really just want to come visit you and give you some support. Please hang in there.

#13 chic mummy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Hello all,

Once i get a better chance to sit through and read everyones personals i promise i will do so, Hopefully tomorrow afternoon/ morning original.gif

if anyone is interested here is my labour & birth story

I was induced monday afternoon at about 3:45 with a cevedil inserted into my cervix to get things going has i had felt reduced fetal movements over the weekend, i was told i probably wouldn't see any real result tills wednesday/thursday as this was a more "natural" ease into induction type of labour.
   On Tuesday morning at about 8 my midwife came and checked me and i was 1 cm dilated she said she would be able to break my waters so we could meet bubs that day as the cevedil had worked in our favour original.gif i called DH when i arrived in the birthing room and poor fella probably never got ready so quick. i had my waters broken at 9am and i was already sucking on the gas to help ease the discomfort of oncoming contractions. it wasn't long after that i had to move to shower to have the water help with the pain everything moved along so quickly from there i wanted to have an as natural as possible labour. after being in the shower a while i needed to push and my midwife had to get me from the shower back to the bed to assist in checking me to see how babies head was pushing out. my dh was holding me with all of his strength as there were a few times i had to push standing up because the contractions came mid waddle back to the bed. i was pushing for an hour and because of a possible sign of baby being in distress they needed to use the vacuum to assit in delivery and i had to be cut to ensure i wouldn't tear badly which is healing very well but makes sitting a little uncomfortable because of the stitches.

Baby was born at 12:47pm weighing 3.7 kg and was 49 cm so it was a pretty quick labour which i am thankful for. after all this time being pregnant which felt like years to me i finally had my gorgeous baby boy who we named Leonardo sitting in my arms and it was the most amazing feeling in the world. i feel in love with him instantaneously.
i came home yesterday evening and everything so far has been a  dream in terms of how quickly my days have gone by since leonardo was born a few days ago. but i couldn't be happier with my baby boy even though hes a pooping machine.
DH and i are coping well at home and DH is already going back to work tomorrow. hes self employed so doesn't have much of a choice. my gorgeous boy has been sleeping very well and eating EXTREMELY well too.

Edited by misslizzie, 25 November 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#14 Suz01

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

Misslizzie I want to post something in detail, its so common to have those feelings, please hang in there!!! I had that toe curling pain too with our daughter, it does get better. I'm not saying persist I'm just saying what happened with me two yrs ago, feel no shame or doubts. I'll write more in a bit. Also ask the lactation consultant to come home to you or go in. They will help if you want to carry on feeding.

Little Daniel James was born last night 23.11.12; 7lb 8oz. 36cm head; 50 cm crown feet. Lost my contractions midday, returned at 8pm into hospital at 9pm 3 mins apart. Lost it when they said I was 8cms. They refused drugs, gas did nothing and I felt trapped and alone with no options. Worst  hrs of my life. I had not mentally planned for it even though I was 40 wks. I literally screamed the place down. Second baby worse! Happy with two aspects, my little boy and my hubby helping me with an active/mobile labour which was in the birth plan. No way could I have ever done that alone.

#15 emnut

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Congratulations suz01 - sounds like your DH did a great job (& you of course)

misslizzie - this is going to be briefer than I would like because I'm not in a great place myself.  Congratulations on DS.  Firstly, it is very common to get baby blues a few days (often day 3 is the worst) after having a baby where you are very teary and everything seems too hard.  At this point, try to put aside fears of PND (naturally if it persists then you do need to talk to someone).  But, you are adjusting to having this new life that you are responsible for, changing hormones, often exhaustion and all this has an impact.  Please keep talking through it though, whether to us, your DH or a professional.  I haven't & now am paying the price with  where I am at.

With the breastfeeding, I can't help much since neither of my boys have been (I stopped expressing for both within a month or so) but just wanted to say you are not failing - if expressing then feeding EBM via bottle is working for you & DS there is absolutely nothing wrong with - whatever works for your family.  I hate how some professionals are so gung-ho on the "right" way to do things without considering the effect it has mentally on people when things don't go to plan.

AFM - DH has said that Henry is going better since his blood transfusion.  I haven't been in for a few days as right now getting out of bed feels somewhat overwhelming let alone going to see him.  I am hating that so much is on DH right now - for the past few days he has been the one visiting Henry, looking after DS1, cleaning the house & last night he worked half the night.  Not sure what he is doing with DS1 today when he goes to see Henry, only that I don't want to have to deal with him.  Feeling very much like I'm failing my whole family right about now & really struggling with the dark place my mind is in.

Edited by emnut, 24 November 2012 - 07:32 AM.

#16 tanglez

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Misslizzie congratulations! I Amos pleased that your induction went so well original.gif I am feeding Joseph right now so can't give you the detailed response I wish to but I too know that toe curling pain, oh my gosh it is awful. I have fed him with tears streaming down my face from the physical pain and from the frustration and sadness. Definitely see someone, in my area there is a breastfeeding drop in centre and the hospital has a lactation consultant, I have also used the Australian breastfeeding association line, they were wonderful. Like you, I had a great latch and feeding routine in the hospital that fell apart at home resulting in sore nipples (excruciating) and blocked ducts. I think in my case, my milk came in at home which completely changed the shape of my breasts and made it hard for him to latch on. Expressing before a feed helped soften them, sometimes I had to start him out with a poor latch to stop the screaming and then try again once he had some mlk in him. Feeding is HARD and you are doing your absolute best, please try to speak to someone and don't suffer alone xox
Congratulations suz, sounds like a challenging labour but you came through with a beautiful bubs original.gif
Em nut, I think withdrawing is probably just what you need to regroup and regain strength of body and mind, please don't feel like a failure

Edited by tanglez, 24 November 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#17 chic mummy

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

finally i have found a moment for some personals...

tanglez - my midwife is still doing home visits and will till he is 2 weeks old im about to call her and chat to her again about what i went through last night because 100% i have engorged breasts and they are so sore. the shower, nor ice, nor massaging will help ease them and i read on ABA website to pump them completely and then start from "scratch" but then i was told by another midwife at the hospital when i called this morning that expressing them empty makes them worse. i am so confused right now and very disappointed in myself.

suz01 - congratulations on the birth of little daniel james. its good to hear your dh supported you very well to help you get through it.

emnut - i keep henry constantly in my thoughts and its good to hear his blood transfusion went very well. im sorry your in a dark place at the moment and to be honest i don't know what to say in terms of support although i can imagine your dh is very understanding because of everything that is going on around you. you have been so strong and have had to endure alot more than any woman/ family should when they give birth to their little one so im sure even though it may feel like it your not failing your family.

charlottesmum - its great to hear that your other children are adjusting well to the new addition i can imagine it would be helpful not having any of them get that jealousy you hear so many other children getting. try not to panic. every child is different and im hoping this one is from your last so your DD can be healthy and fine without you worrying if the last sneeze or cough etc was the start of something but i can imagine it would be hard because you have already experienced your previous DS being sick and wouldn't like your DD to go down the same path.

tj - its great to hear henry has settled into a regime and that pumping has worked wonders for you. i know what you mean i have started feeding some EBM as you can probably see from my previous post and it is making things easier on DH and i as he sleeps so well after a good feed. its lovely to get them fed and calm quickly.

R2B2 - hope all goes well with your induction.

cojack - congratualtions on your new DD being added to your little family. great to hear our doing well and you c -section went well.  

AFM - i am hating as well that all of the one way street professionals are set in their minds because trying to feed off the breast at the moment is mentally draining me and killing me slowly i have to admit as the guilt i feel when i express is overwhelming but seeing my DS cry because he cant latch on to my super rock hard boobs to feed makes me ache inside because i dont want to see him suffer.

i have been overly worried and would love for my midwife to just tell me do what you can and whats best. because i know i should but knowing that i am probably unfit or lazy in her eyes gets to me even though she hasnt said this out loud she does talk down EBM sad.gif i am at the stage where i am trying to make sure i dont let it get too much too me because i am having some bad thoughts in my mind about it all and i am trying to push those thoughts aside so i can feed DS EBM which at the moment is in his best interest so he doesn't suffer from me trying to latch him on for 10-15 mins.

my DH was wonderful last night even though he went back to work today. i was in the shower than out of the shower then got leaked milk all over the bed and my clothes because it just started running after my shower before i was completely dressed and ready for the aftermath or having warm water on my breasts. he is very supportive and i am trying to just do whats best for my little family so i don't spend everynight and every feed time crying. it hurts my dh as well for him to see me in the state that i have been.

thank you so much for your replies regarding my guilt over EBM and i have made a decision to not let anything get in the way of a happy DS = happy family. but the guilt is still there im hoping i can work on that and solve this guilt issue very quickly, hopefully.

#18 tanglez

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Misslizzie please be kind to yourself, I want you to re read your posts and imagine they were written by another woman on the forum (humour me ok!) then write a response, or at least think about what you would say to that woman, think about how her words would make you feel, ask yourself if her thoughts and feelings are anaccurate portrayal of who she is. We are our own worst critic and in this moment you need to show yourself the nurturing and compassion that you have shown all of us. It is hard receiving conflicting advice,it is hard not being able to do what you want to do, it is hard seeing your baby upset. You will get through this though and I feel you are incredibly brave and wise to be sharing this with us. It tells me you are a self aware person with yours and bubs best interests at heart. Now go imagine for me and see what you find lol!
Afm my wound has become infected and I am finding it very difficult to do anything. We have my partners kids here for the weekend so my support person is otherwise occupied with them. I confess to feeling pretty overwhelmed and struggling right now. Having a clingy 4.75kg baby is not making things easy either. I know it will pass, I know within a few days the antibiotics will kick in and it won't hurt to stand, sit, roll, lie, lift etc but for these five minutes I choose to feel woe is me.... Ok bubs is awake, five minutes is up, time for pain relief and something to make me laugh original.gif
Love and light to all, especially those that need something to shine in the dark corners

#19 chic mummy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

TJ & tanglez - thank you so much. you guys are so right i went back and re read my post and imagined what i would say if i was reading that from another member and it really put things into perspective for me. i am going to edit it to delete that last section of my post as i worry there may be people i know on EB aswel and they could make the connection though my babies name and his DOB.

today has been a much better day although i have engorged breasts and they are so painful i am doing as instructed by my midwife and she said if all goes to plan my huge breasts should go back to normal within 24 hours or thereabouts as my body is making more than what my baby needs and it just needs to get his feeding rhythm sorted out. expressing so much milk yesterday contributed to the engorgement i can imagine as i knew expressing gave a greater supply although i didnt think it would lead to new tray table i have erected from my breasts. fingers crossed after a few more over night feeds they go back to almost normal. my DH said there is a massive improvement from last night and my midwifes advice is working. leonardo has been feeding well today on the breast which has given me the much needed confidence boost that i was just stressing a little too much. if he didnt latch on properly or cried a little i just took a few breaths and calmed down and tried again. my DH sent me encouraging text message from work to make me feel better as well.

also, the words of all the other women on here really mean so much to me. im the only one in my close knit of friends to have a baby so i feel like i have no one to talk to which is why i probably put more pressure on myself than i need to thank you all.  

ta again.

#20 ~MakkaPakka~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Sorry I have been trying to get in to post but my little man won't let me.  I have been trying to keep up on facebook though.

Remy was born on the 14th of November at 7.35am weighing just over 4.5kg.  My VB2C was sucessful but there were ups and downs (he was posterior to start with so contractions were strong but not doing much, once he was shifted around my waters broke but they were meconium stained.

Then It had taken an hour for the anasetheist to get there and set up and insert the epidural (was supposed to have it early due to VB2C) and within that hour I had dialated from 2-8cms - and I am NOT good with pain - I think it was the longest hour of my life  tongue.gif .  

Then the epidural had breakthrough pain - I was pushing for an hour and half (only supposed to push for half an hour due to obs and VB2C) but the midwives were on my side, the obs was called in and she decided that I was going to go to theatre and they were going to attempt an assisted birth -

By this time bubs had decided to move finally (for some reason he was not stuck, was positioned right, just refused to shift though the birth canal for some reason).  And then he was born  biggrin.gif

It was quite funny as there were two registrars and a specialest consultant, a pead (due to the meconium) and three midwives (due to shift changeover) various theatre staff sticking their head in at times to see what the hold up was, as well as hubby and my sister ( also a midwife at the hospital), so it was a very full room, but on the good side they were a great cheer squad trying to get this baby out!!!  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.