Hi all

New thread time

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 LittleSpoon

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

Gold!

Hope everyone is doing well. I had a shocking night last night sad.gif combination of bad back and doing the budget just before bed  wacko.gif  opps!

I'll pop back later today to add the list.

Edited by LittleSpoon, 19 November 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#3 Alxeen

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Silver!

Is it just me or does perineal remind anyone else of perrenial? As in plants? original.gif

Just found some reading on a study done for perineal massage for those interested. It concludes "Antenatal perineal massage reduces the likelihood of perineal trauma (mainly episiotomies) and the reporting of ongoing perineal pain, and is generally well accepted by women. As such, women should be made aware of the likely benefit of perineal massage and provided with information on how to massage."
http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005123/ant...perineal-trauma
It did say that results were only conclusive for first time mothers and second, third etc. time mothers results were inconclusive. I think I'll still be giving it a go in the lead up however.

Anterior placenta I have one (in fact, two that have fused into one big one) and movements have been different to those I had with DD (posterior placenta). It's slightly off to the right though so I find I get the 'outside' kicks all along my left side. Also, both babies have feet pointing to my upper left side so that all makes sense. Now I'm finding that a strong kick can be felt (albeit softly) at my front. The rolls to me feel like my stomach is lurching back and forth. Having had my scan I can definitely visualise where these babies are and the location of the kicks and punches make sense. Last week was the first time DD felt a kick and then a few days later DH felt one too. In fact it was first thing in the morning and both babies had woken up and were going crazy, DH had his hand on the left of my tummy and could feel it all  wub.gif

I've been a bit MIA as the weekend just gone was a busy one! Had my cousin's 18th birthday on Saturday night, so staying up until 1am was a feat, but slept in Sunday morning and actually been feeling really good original.gif Everything baby-wise starts ramping up now.....we have a multiple births ante natal evening session this week, another ob appointment next week (they are fortnightly now) and a growth scan the week after (every four weeks now). This pregnancy thing is starting to feel like a full time job! On that note, I've reviewed my leave entitlements etc. and looks like I can finish work in three weeks time  ddance.gif  I'm going to be sad to finish up (and have quite a bit to do before then!) but my motivation for a job I normally love is waning so it's a sign to me that it's probably time to  concentrate on relaxing a bit more. I don't know about you guys but pregnancy hormones send me into full on chilled out mode. It's good, but it's not compatible for keeping up with work demands!

Caught up on OBEM last night and actually cried at the shoulder scenario, even though I knew it all came good in the end. I just felt for that poor Mum sad.gif

Edited by Alxeen, 19 November 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#4 Cloria

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Bronze

I noticed one of the other DIGs has their list in a separate thread, pinned to the top of their section so it's easy to find and easily updated and people can comment underneath it not amongst the other chat.

What do people think of that?

#5 Eirlys

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Probably sounds like a good idea. I don't think I am on the list. I'm in Canberra due 13/3/2012. Having a surprise.

#6 BBV

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

I cried in one born every minute this week too!

#7 LittleSpoon

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Great idea Cloria. I can give it a go tonight. Does anyone know how to pin a thread or is it something the mods need to do?

#8 redmum77

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

The birth centre said to look up "Theo's birth" on you tube, it one of theirs and had me bawling!

#9 lozoodle

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hi everyone! HOpe you are all well! biggrin.gif

Have been busy here but nothing much to report. Boring pregnancy but boring is good original.gif

#10 Cloria

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

redmum - is that the edited one by the sister? I just searched it but didn't know which one to watch. It was a good one! Proper video not just someone's dodgy handicam work lol

littlespoon - I think probably a mod needs to pin it, but if you ask i'm sure one will get onto it quickly

lozoodle - same! people keep asking me how I am and I don't have much to report!

alxeen - jealous! Due to finances I'm going to have to try and work up as close as I can to my EDD. Counting down till the holidays though! 5 weeks!

#11 lozoodle

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

cloria - same! I'm working through to February 15 and I'll be 38+1.

I did the same with my other two and wound too and wound up over due so any earlier would be a total waste. both times I had nearly three full Weeks at home waiting and I was going out of my brain with boredom.

#12 awalmsley

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hi all
Im the same here.... pregnancy just plodding along slowly with nothing out of the ordinary. Which is AWESOME!  
I have been busy trying to finish my prac work in the last few weeks and trying to do assignments. I am studying Cert 3 in Childrens Services with the aim of becoming a Kindergarten Teacher in the end.  After two days of working in a child care Im stuffed!! Picking up all the babies all day was just leaving me exhausted!!

To all you doing the perinal or whatever massages.... even just the thought of it grosses me out!

I have  finally decided to go for caesarean number #3. I wanted to try a VBAC but my OB and all the midwives have talked me out of it saying that after 2 caesareans the risks just are so much higher.  The reason for my original one as well makes them think that it wouldn't work.  DD just refused to come out after a couple of hours of pushing and after the op I remember my OB saying something about my bone shape making it a lot harder for her to get out and she was well and truly stuck in there!   Its just the thought of afterwards the was making me hesitant but I guess this time I wont have a 21 mth old at home wanting to be picked up all the time.... Im going to have a 5 & 7 year old hopefully wanting to help!

Hope you all all travelling along nice and boringly as well!

#13 *Katey*

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Alxeen @ 19/11/2012, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On that note, I've reviewed my leave entitlements etc. and looks like I can finish work in three weeks time  ddance.gif

Yay for you! biggrin.gif

I'm officially starting my maternity break at the end of this week. I'm closing my salon and won't be opening again until a few months after bub is born.

I have a few health concerns. Firstly, my sciatica is getting really bad, and I'm finding working in my salon (spray tanning, gel toenails, hair styling and makeup) is making it really awful, and I'm in a lot of pain after just a few clients in a row. Also, it's getting harder and harder to squat up and down while doing a spray tan, so it's getting quite difficult to spray tan properly. Plus, I don't like breathing in the fumes every single day. And my belly is barely fitting under the table I sit at while doing my gel toe clients  tongue.gif

I only work part time, and my salon is home based anyway, so I guess it's not much of a transition.

But as of next week I'll just to be happy to not have to deal with clients, not breath in spray tan everyday, and not come inside of a night not being able to move because of my sciatica!

Edited by *Katey*, 20 November 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#14 Alxeen

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Katey Sounds like it's definitely time to wind up then! I find the up/down squatting good pregnancy exercise but only once or twice a day to put the plates away! I just had a meeting today and go roped into more work *sigh* I'm terrible at saying no, but it should only be two days extra.

awalmsley I think you'll find c-sec recovery much easier with older kids! I think recovery with a newborn and toddler (or two!) would be tough, but sounds to like you'll have two great little helpers. A friend had a baby with two kids similar ages and they were great at fetching things (nappies, throw up cloths, rompers etc.) and she also got the eldest changing nappies once baby was a bit bigger.

All boring here! Hehe. Actually I'm really enjoying pregnancy now, I am loving my pregnant body, loving feeling kicks, and constantly in awe of the little miracles inside of me, I feel really lucky and happy and so blissed out it's ridiculous original.gif

Just wondering, what are people's feelings about baby slings? I've heard some are no good (like, been on recall for being unsafe), but some work well, and also just stumbled across a SIDS fact sheet that seemed a bit dubious on them. I'm not talking about carriers, but slings in particular.

We pick up cots and change table on the weekend!! I'm very excited. Just pram and car seats and that's all major items done! We ended up getting them through a friend who works for distributor so they are really cheap! I love a bargain.

#15 BBV

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hey girls,

Katey: great ur finishing up work and listening to ur body. You and ur little boy will be able to rest up over next few months.

I'm planning on finishing up at 36 weeks. I've been feeling quite good but by the end of last week I felt really off. I think sitting all day is getting to my back. On the weekend where I'm walking around and not in the same spot I feel so much better. Anyone else with an office job feeling it? I also need to stop wearing heels. I have flats on today and think that helps.

Slings: haven't heard a lot about slings, I'm planning on getting an ergo, just trying to decide between sports or normal model. Also a friend suggested waiting until baby arrives to get it...but not sure what to do.

Feeling quite disorganized on the nursery front. We haven't got anything. We have cot, change table picked out but hoping baby bunting will have a sale....also hoping to get a baby monitor (just sound). Has anyone got linen for bub yet? The stuff I have seen I don't really like, any suggestions about where else to look?

Hope everyone has a good Tuesday. It's hot here, extreme fire danger, ick!

#16 Eirlys

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

I am plodding along, my pregnancy seems to be quite normal, but who knows what will happen. I have a high BMI, I am short, but have always been stout. So I have to see a doctor at the antenatal clinic at some point, but I can't remember when right now.

@BBV we actually have an unassembled cot and change table. A gift from my dad. The downside is the baby's room is full of things I inherited from my mum when she passed (in December last year). Every time I think of moving things around I get overwhelmed and run away. But I shall have to do it soon.

In the baby's room I also have my grandma's rocking chair, I feel lucky that I have something like that that I can use for breast feeding (assuming I can) what I need then is a foot stool.

Has anyone been to any antenatal classes yet?

#17 *Katey*

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Eirlys @ 20/11/2012, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone been to any antenatal classes yet?

I haven't been to any yet, but I'm booked in original.gif The hospital I'm going to only recommends doing them from 30 weeks at the earliest, so I'm booked in to start in January.

#18 *Katey*

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (BBV @ 20/11/2012, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Feeling quite disorganized on the nursery front. We haven't got anything.

I'm feeling a bit the same way. We have the cot and change table, and I've ordered my chest of drawers but have no idea how long that will be until it's ready. That's all we've got so far though. I'm feeling disorganised because we've yet to paint (we've only done the undercoat) and until we've finished the painting, the furniture is just sitting in the middle of the room. I can't arrange anything yet. So everything we buy, and everything we get given by family and friends, is currently in a giant pile in the middle of the nursery, haha.

#19 adl

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hi all

things have been really busy here with renos, work etc... been reading and keeping up

will touch on some topics but must be quick so no personals

perineal massage
- yes read about it last time didnt really end up doing anythign just kept putting it off till it didnt matter anyway

mat leave - yes I got very bored the last 3 weeks at home which turned into 5 !! It was wet and cold and basically stuck inside... will try and work longer or do most from home to keep busy so I can get more money banked as well.

I only wear flats,  and yes I have had to move around a lot as well... but its only 19 days left before the end of year and I have so much to do... just making lists but they keep adding urgent stuff to it!!!

Looks like another Christmas Eve on the laptop... I dont mind because i will take time in lieu next year and go lie in a pool  biggrin.gif  
I hate taking work home as I am tired and its such a short time i get with DS as it is before he goes to bed....

better dash so I can get home ,  glad to hear everyone is travelling through a very boring time now after all our dramatric CVS, aminos, scans and morph scans ....

#20 stickymicky

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Hello Ladies!

Long time, no posting.. But I have been reading along when I can!

Mat leave- Just filled in the forms for my maternity leave. Last day is 15th Feb! That will make me 36 weeks. Because we live in small town with no hospital facilities within 4 hrs pregnant women encouraged to leave town at least 3 weeks before their due date. So will have a week at home to get house organsied and then DD and I will head down to Perth to stay with my Mum. DH will be joining us a few weeks later. I know I will be more than ready to finish up by then, especially in this heat! (It has been over 40 degrees every day this week- yech!)
I admire the ladies working right up until their due date. It is a hard slog, but if it means more time at home with your new baby later on, then worth it. Katey and Alxeen- yay for finishing up so soon! Will be lovely to have pesky work out of your hair and just focus on and enjoy your pregnancies. I totally get what you mean when you say you're focus has already started to shift.. I am struggling to maintain enthusiasm too.. but have to keep pretending for a little while yet! hehe

Returning to work- Also told my manager that I intend to take the full year off this time and he was fine with that. I know from experience just how fast the year off goes and feel a bit stressed at the thought of going back already! Hoping they let me go back part time but will have to discuss that when the time comes. Having 2 in full time daycare is not a happy thought!

Flying while pregnant- we have booked 2 week holiday early Jan to visit some friends in the Eastern States. Yay! We planned it for then rather than after my leave starts because the earlier we go the more comfortable I'll be... So I will be just over 7 months pregnant.. Will there be any issue with me flying from Perth to Cairns and back again..? Like will I need a doctors letter or anything like that??

One Born Every Minute- Damn I have somehow managed to miss every episode this series. Hopefully they will replay it on Foxtel at some stage. I always get so emotional when the babies get born. It is so interesting to see how different women labour.  

Save our Sleep- I know this topic was from ages ago but just wanted to put in my 2c. I think the routines in this book probably work okay for the older baby/toddler (I am a big fan of strict 7pm bedtime!) however I don't think the newborn routines are that conducive to successful breastfeeding. The whole 4hr feeding isn't often enough for lots of newborn babies and the fact it requires you to express just to maintain your supply has my alarm bells ringing. The book is very popular in these parts and practically every breastfeeding woman I know who did the newborn routine ended up with mastisis. I am not trying to start a Tizzie Hall war (the book can be surpringly devisive!) but that has been my observation and so my advice would be wait until bub a bit older and your supply well established before restricting feeds etc.

Planned C-section- glad you are happy with your plan of attack awalmsley! I can imagine it must have been really hard to go through all that labour to end up with a cesarean at the end. My cousin has had one emergency c-sect and one planned one and she is now pregnant with her 3rd and goign with the planned c-sect option also, as she said it a much better experience than going through the long labour only to end up with ceasar anyway.

Baby Slings- I used a BabaSling with DD and loved it and looking forward to using it again with Baby2. It did take a bit of practice and it wasn't until she was about 6 weeks old that we got the hang of it, but once we did we never looked back. Enabled me to get housework, shopping, computer work done even on days when she was feeling fussy and wanted to be held all the time. Meant I could duck to the shops without having to muck around with pram and trolleys etc. As far as SIDS risk goes, obviously there will be a correct and best use (generally you make sure they are quite high on your chest so you can kiss their little heads and their is neck supported and straight without their face covered at all) and because they are right under your nose, the rise and fall of your chest helps regulate their breathing, so IMO nothing much safer than that!

Baby Movements- isnt it weird and wonderful. Sometimes the movements are a nice reminder that I'm even pregnant. With work and study and Motherhood I sometimes think this pregnancy is just passing me by without savouring and marvelling in it like I did with DD. As it will most likely be my last baby I think I need to pause to reflect a bit more often. Poor Baby2!

braxton Hicks- can someone describe to me what these are like? I dont think I had any last time. The other day I had these isolated tight spots on my tummy that felt hard and tender and came and went as pangs.. of course I jumped on google and now wondering if thats what it could have been..? Would it be a concern to have them this early?

Antenatal appointments- Went to all the recomended ones with first pregnancy (+ ABA breastfeeding one which I highly recomend) but not sure if I will go to any this time round..? it all still feels fairly fresh.. And def not prepared to make any special trips down to Perth for them... What are other 2nd, 3rd etc time Mums doing?

AFM- another one without much to report. But of course no news is good news in the pregnancy game!
Enjoying the second trimester sweet spot, loving having a noticable bump (must get around to putting up a photo ont he other thread) but glad the nausea of first trimester gone, but aches and pains of 3rd trimester yet to set in....
Still arguing over names with DH.. having moments where I wish we knew the sex so we could focus our energies on one gender! Oh well too late now.. unless anyone knows any reliable wives tales..? hehe
My sister just sent me some $6 singlets from coles.. they make great maternity singlets, nice and stretchy and long so if anyone else is the market for some cheap and cheerful tops check out Coles!
Had 1st appointment at Birth Centre last month (cant remember if I have posted since then) and it went well. Fingers crossed I actually get to give birth there and with a bit of luck in the birth pool. The midwives seem so lovely and it was nice to be back.
DH has been away for the last week and gets back tomorrow. Yay for that, will be good to see him, and have an extra pair of helping hands too

xoxoxoxoxo

#21 lozoodle

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Slings I have no real opinion on them. I used to have a peanut sling but only used it twice as I found it uncomfortable. It was only after I had purchased it ($100 later roll2.gif) that it occurred to me that I can't stand baby wearing. I can't stand having someone ON me that much, I need my space biggrin.gif

Returning to work I'm also taking a full year this year, and have told my boss I plan to return only 3 days per week when I come back, which will be fine. They have a great flexibility policy here.

Antenatal Appointments I have one tomorrow, then its every 3 weeks after that. Up until now they have been six weekly.

Perineal massage Can't say I've ever bothered with it! No dramas re birthing either.

OBEM Love that show but keep forgetting to watch it. Watched it last week though. Must set a reminder tomorrow to watch it.

Baby Movements Pretty much a constant thing now, love them wub.gif

AFM Really not much to report. 26 weeks tomorrow, that just seems so crazy. Life is hectic over the next few weeks. My youngest turns 2 on Saturday, and then on 22 Dec my eldest turns 4, then of course it is Christmas. So time is really going to fly. Before I know it it will be January and almost time to have this baby! I'm counting down until the end of work. I go on annual leave as we shut down over Christmas, so 21 Dec is my last day, back on 2 Jan, then its only 6 weeks and I am finishing up for maternity leave on 15 Feb and due 28 Feb.

Going to start taking my raspberry leaf tablets a lot earlier this time in the hope of not going overdue this time. As long as I make it to my end of work date, then I'm happy. Anything after that is fine by me!

#22 robot sm

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Slings/Baby wearing - DH is pretty interested in getting some kind of carrier, and I'm keen to give it a go.  We've asked a couple of friends who have had kids and they liked them, but their advice was to start when the baby is really small so you get used to the weight.  I think we will keep looking into it, hopefully one of the sets of grandparents can get us one for Christmas/baby present.

Antenatal appts
- So far we are on a 4 weekly schedule; the hospital is walking distance from us so it's not too much of a bother, plus my boss lets me 'work from home' on appointment days, which is also a good chance to get some extra rest rather than travelling to work and back.  

Massage - I have to admit, maybe because I'm a first-timer, but the idea freaks me out a little.  Still getting used to the idea that this baby is going to come out of my private parts and people will be watching it happen.  I know, I sound like some kind of old-fashioned prude!! But I'm generally pretty private when it comes to personal things like this, so it's a bit of a shift to suddenly have everyone focussing on things happening down there original.gif

Mat leave
- I've spoken to my boss but haven't given him the notice yet, he's not too fussed and is happy for me to modify it later.  At this point I'm thinking of finishing work on 22 Feb, which is 4 weeks before my due date, but I'll wait until this extra scan I need to have on Friday just to check that there isn't any problems iwth my cervix, as that could change my plans.    I'd love to take the whole year off, and that's our plan at this stage, but it will probably depend on finances.  We just have to wait and see.

Raspberry Leaf - I've heard that in early pregnancy you should avoid this, do you take it later on to maybe help labour come on?  Sounds like a good plan to help things along.  

Flying while pregnant - Have a look on the airline website, stickymicky.  I looked at Virgin a while ago and after 28 weeks they require a letter from a doctor or midwife saying that you are able to fly; the letter had to be within 10 days of your flight.  Qantas seem to be a little less strict.
http://www.virginaustralia.com/us/en/plan/...while-pregnant/
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/m...global/en#jump7

AFM
- Having some real emotional troubles this last week, it's all getting a bit overwhelming.  Tired, none of my clothes fit, worrying a lot about money, a couple of family problems, and just seeing everyone else go on as normal... I feel like I've stopped being myself and am now just the mum-to-be.  I know that it's a good thing we're having a baby, and we will love our little one and he will have a great life with us, but the whole being-pregnant bit just hasn't been any fun for me.  I'm sure these feelings and worries will pass, just working through them is taking some time and an emotional toll.  Please excuse the whinge!!

#23 Cloria

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

perineal massage - it doesn't exactly appeal to me either! Though when I consider that a baby is gonna come out of there soon anyway I figure I am going to feel that sensation amplified come March, may as well prepare myself for it (try to!). Also... someone mentioned something along the lines of "unless the area doesn't see much action" well... BD'ing has not appealed to me at all since I've been pregnant so I'm actually a little concerned it's umm... regressed? lol

antenatal appt - I'm on a 4wk schedule until I think 30wks then it changes to fortnightly. Though I know someone at 28wks went to the hospital for her anti D shot and the midwife there told her "oh no you should be coming fortnightly now" so I don't know if it depends who you talk to.

robotsimone - sorry to hear you are getting emotionally overwhelmed by it all. I have noticed a few nights I have gotten very randomly sad for no real reason. I know it's the hormones but it's unsettling to be in a particular mood and have no explanation for it. At least your mind is giving you reasons!
You can get some cheap clothes from Big W (stretchy!) I found that suit pregnant shape, and even though I can't really fit into any of my old clothes, I find if I'm wearing something that fits me properly it makes me feel good about my current shape - There's a baby in there! And I can tell!

#24 *Katey*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Oh wait, were we talking antenatal classes or antinatal appointments?

If we're talking about antenatal appointments, then I've been going every 4 weeks to my OB. Then from 28 weeks it's every 2 weeks, and from 36 it's every week. At the start I was going every 2 weeks though, only because I had a history of losses.

And antenatal classes, I have 2 booked in January at the hospital.

Edited by *Katey*, 21 November 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#25 BBV

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hey girls, check out the new baby bunting catalogue, some prams on special.

I'm not doing my antenatal class until 2nd February...I'll be 34 weeks. Hopefully I don't go early! I'm doing an ABA Breastfeeding course next weekend. Hoping it will be useful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.