sell me your food processor
not a thermo!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MrsLexiK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

I am 100% sure this has been done a bazzillion times but please sell me your fodo processor.  I just got for my birthday a bit of money for myer.  I suspect I will also get some from my bosses for christmas but even without that I am prepared to add a few more dollars to get a machine that will last and that I will love.

A bit of background, I do love to cook, I borrowed a thermomix last week and yes I will admitt it was easy to use cooked my risotto in less then 20 minutes, made custard in less then 15 minutes (I think), made my dips so quickly etc.  But TBH I prefer to make my own custard, I know I wouldn't use it to make that many dinners because I prefer to do it myself, I also like to make big batches so there is plenty to freeze for lunches and extra dinners, I don't find that size of the jug big enough. I also found cleaning the blade a PITA (even after I figured out how to pull it out of the jug). I also don't think the steamer is big enough (DH and I can easily some nights use all three tiers of our steamer)

I love my mix master the only way I couldy justify getting the thermo would be to get rid of the steamer, mix master, blender and rice cooker and I don't think I would be happy.  

What attracted me to the thermo for is to be able to make dips easier, to mince meat, the mill/grind flours, sugars etc, to chop and grate my veggies for me (especially with the newly acquired slow cooker and all the veg loaded caserols I will be making) and perhaps even blend the soup or whatever you do to get soups going (I know I can make a chunky one in the slow cooker though) I didn't realise that you could buy this in a normal processor.  I am thinking a really good food processor and perhaps upgrading my $29 rice cooker to the $79 one (which actually has a button to cook rissotto) would be the way to go.  But I don't want to fork out alot of cash for something that is going to dissapoint me.  I am expecting I will have to pay at least somewhere between $300 - $500 for something good.  I know KA do one but I have no idea about food processors - so sell me yours.

TIA

ETA: after reading some reviews on the KA and the Breville wizz mix pro thing I am turned off the KA :/

Edited by MrsLexiK, 19 November 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#2 ~kacee~

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I just researched this quite a bit. The top of the range are the magimix food processors - but they are around $700 or so. We didn't want to spend that much. We ended up getting a breville kitchen wizz pro. Myer often has them 10% off, and thebest I've seen them from myer is 20% off - $400 (full price is $499).

We've had it about 2 months now, and have used it a lot. The quad blade is great for doing our own minces (chicken and topside steak so far), I've made sorbet, icecream (frozen fruit on its own, or with some cream and sugar), plus the usual coleslaw, etc. There is a smaller bowl that's good for dips and sauces, and the blades all come in a big box that makes storage easy. Draw backs are that it's a big machine - we keep the base on the bench at all times, and the containers and blades in a cupboard. I've noticed the quad blade is getting a few little nicks in it, but I presume it can be re-sharpened? Also, you can't grate cheese in it, but I don't think you can in many processors??

Let me know if I can give you any more info original.gif

#3 countrychic29

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Will be watching with interest OP, i feel the same dont want to spend $$$ on thermomix and heard the KA Food Processor isnt too good which is a shame as it would match my KA mixer sad.gif (first world problem)

#4 noi'mnot

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have a crappy food processor for now, and I'm saving up for a magimix. In all of my research they got the best reviews and have the best warranty. I'm not sure if Myer have them, but it would be worth getting one on sale (when the have a sale on) if they do.

#5 lucky 2

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

The thermomix blades are easy to clean if you know how, there are tricks of the trade with that deluxe piece of machinery so I doubt you would have got a full understanding of it's functions/usage/cleaning etc from using a borrowed one without some expert tutoring.
You could rightly think you would be able to use it intuitively as you are an experienced cook but it is unique and there is a bit of learning involved as it is so multifunctioned.
I use mine for food processing mainly and it's great.

#6 galba

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

My friend just got the Jamie Oliver machine with the chopping tower.  

I have a thermomix but was very impressed with hers - she can get julienne carrots!!

#7 Ice Queen

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Dont get the big Kenwood one.  I hate mine.  sad.gif The blades are not sharp enough and the middle stem that holds everything on is just plain stupid the way it comes out.  Dumb design and makes it really clumsy when you stop and start.  I think mine was $450 and I could happily blow it up.  In fact I am praying it does and then I am going for a Thermomix!  So many pieces to clean too.

#8 MrsLexiK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (~kacee~ @ 19/11/2012, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just researched this quite a bit. The top of the range are the magimix food processors - but they are around $700 or so. We didn't want to spend that much. We ended up getting a breville kitchen wizz pro. Myer often has them 10% off, and thebest I've seen them from myer is 20% off - $400 (full price is $499).

We've had it about 2 months now, and have used it a lot. The quad blade is great for doing our own minces (chicken and topside steak so far), I've made sorbet, icecream (frozen fruit on its own, or with some cream and sugar), plus the usual coleslaw, etc. There is a smaller bowl that's good for dips and sauces, and the blades all come in a big box that makes storage easy. Draw backs are that it's a big machine - we keep the base on the bench at all times, and the containers and blades in a cupboard. I've noticed the quad blade is getting a few little nicks in it, but I presume it can be re-sharpened? Also, you can't grate cheese in it, but I don't think you can in many processors??

Let me know if I can give you any more info original.gif

Thanks for this, I finally found the price for the magimix (thankfully they have them at myer original.gif ) I will probably keep it on the bench as well so the heaviness of it isn't too much of an issue. I did read about not being able to grate cheese, but I don't grate cheese - that is why they sell pkts of grated cheese for original.gif

QUOTE (noi'mnot @ 19/11/2012, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a crappy food processor for now, and I'm saving up for a magimix. In all of my research they got the best reviews and have the best warranty. I'm not sure if Myer have them, but it would be worth getting one on sale (when the have a sale on) if they do.

Myer do sell all three models.  

QUOTE (lucky 2 @ 19/11/2012, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thermomix blades are easy to clean if you know how, there are tricks of the trade with that deluxe piece of machinery so I doubt you would have got a full understanding of it's functions/usage/cleaning etc from using a borrowed one without some expert tutoring.
You could rightly think you would be able to use it intuitively as you are an experienced cook but it is unique and there is a bit of learning involved as it is so multifunctioned.
I use mine for food processing mainly and it's great.

ok, well I have been to a few demos plus actually used it a number of times before this week, it was just that I had it for the full the week to use whenever.  And like I had suspected I didn't like it that much, for cooking part of it, nor did I actually like the way it chopped my veggies (leaving big chunks of basil, and onion for a start) If I'm only going to use it as a food processor then I would rather spend $1K on the top of the range magimix.  And I don't think it is that unique nor is there a lot of learning involed, that is the point it is so darn easy.   If I had used the thermo to actually cook more of meals durning the week and not really just like a food processor I would actually spend the extra for the Hot Mix Pro which is a far a surprior (sp?) machine then the current thermomix model is by far. (for a start the range of degrees is lower and higher, and it goes up by 1 degree not preset options)

QUOTE (galba @ 19/11/2012, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend just got the Jamie Oliver machine with the chopping tower.  

I have a thermomix but was very impressed with hers - she can get julienne carrots!!

Thanks for that I will look at that as well.

QUOTE (Ehill @ 19/11/2012, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont get the big Kenwood one.  I hate mine.  sad.gif The blades are not sharp enough and the middle stem that holds everything on is just plain stupid the way it comes out.  Dumb design and makes it really clumsy when you stop and start.  I think mine was $450 and I could happily blow it up.  In fact I am praying it does and then I am going for a Thermomix!  So many pieces to clean too.

Thank you so much for this, I 'm sorry it is a PITA for you but I will stay clear of that.  I know my mum's old kenwood is still working good (it had crossed my mind to buy one of them) but that doesn't mean the new one will. (I also remember it being a pain to add the juicer to it, thankfully my blender it good for a making smoothy's I don't really make juice as such)

#9 B.feral3

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Bugger, I was going to say Thermomix until I read  your subheading!!

Even so, I don't think borrowing one does it justice. I think you should have a demo and see it in it's glory before you right it off. I researched food processors and different things for 2 years before I bit the bullet and bought my TM. Until then I was using an Oscar. 2 years wasted but best money ever spent.

#10 2813665

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hi there

I would (and did) go the Magimix. A fantastic quality machine that does the job it was intended for. It's heavy, so lives on the bench and doesn't go walkies when in use as some of the cheaper, lighter machines tend to do. I got the 5200XL as we are a family of 5 and I cook a lot of big batches for the freezer

You can grate cheese easily, if that's what you want, and the three different bowl sizes come in very handy. Fantastic for mincing meat.

I don't like mixing cakes in it though, as they tend to be over mixed, use my KA for that.

Hope this helps original.gif

Caroline

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Bek+3 @ 19/11/2012, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bugger, I was going to say Thermomix until I read  your subheading!!

Even so, I don't think borrowing one does it justice. I think you should have a demo and see it in it's glory before you right it off. I researched food processors and different things for 2 years before I bit the bullet and bought my TM. Until then I was using an Oscar. 2 years wasted but best money ever spent.

As I said I have been to demos, I did really really want one as well - at first.  Then I went to a few more demos, read a few more reviews and found that what I want it for I could get a specific built machine.  I don't think the thermo rates as a mix master for instance anywhere near as well as my actual mix master, same with a few other things. I think the actual machine that you buy for a specific job will do a better job then an all in one.  Trust me if this was 18 months ago I would have just brought the thermo, I would then be stuck in this position that it doesn't live up to how I wanted.  

QUOTE (2813665 @ 19/11/2012, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there

I would (and did) go the Magimix. A fantastic quality machine that does the job it was intended for. It's heavy, so lives on the bench and doesn't go walkies when in use as some of the cheaper, lighter machines tend to do. I got the 5200XL as we are a family of 5 and I cook a lot of big batches for the freezer

You can grate cheese easily, if that's what you want, and the three different bowl sizes come in very handy. Fantastic for mincing meat.

I don't like mixing cakes in it though, as they tend to be over mixed, use my KA for that.

Hope this helps original.gif

Caroline

Thansk for that, yeah I think I will stay with my mix master for the cakes, lol.  I was afraid someone would tell me the 5200XL was the bees knees original.gif

#12 Frankly my Dear

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

I have KitchenAid processor and love it. Really large bowl, plus a middle sized and mini bowl.

Magimix is supposed to be the best, also heard good things about Cusinart.

Whatever you do, unless Myer/DJ's have the mother of all sales, check out the pricing on either Peters of Kensington or http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/

I have purchased from both regularly and saved a bundle.

#13 unicorn

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

I like my KA foodie, it's quite, has a few different size bowls and all the bits and bobs that make it do what it is supposed to do. Weighs a ton though.

#14 MrsLexiK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Frankly my Dear @ 19/11/2012, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have KitchenAid processor and love it. Really large bowl, plus a middle sized and mini bowl.

Magimix is supposed to be the best, also heard good things about Cusinart.

Whatever you do, unless Myer/DJ's have the mother of all sales, check out the pricing on either Peters of Kensington or http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/

I have purchased from both regularly and saved a bundle.

Thanks for that link, I did have a look, I will probably wait til the boxing day sales to see if I can get something on special anyway, or pop in on the weekend and see if they have a special or can match online and put it on layby.  With the amount of money I got I am sort of stuck at Myer and I don't have anything to waste the myer gift cards on original.gif

I love everything else kitchen aid which is why when I read the reviews I was a bit shocked.  There were more more disastisfied (sp?) reviews then there was happy reviews.  One of the complaints was the seal doesn't seal well - have you found this?

QUOTE (unicorn @ 19/11/2012, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like my KA foodie, it's quite, has a few different size bowls and all the bits and bobs that make it do what it is supposed to do. Weighs a ton though.

I like the quite aspect! I don't mind the weight - other then being able to get it home as I won't be moving it around it will just sit on the bench (otherwise I would probably forget to use the darn thing and after grating 2 carrots and 2 zuccinis for tacos or spag bol I would be cursing myself lol) As above, have you found the sealer to be a PITA at all? as in does it leak?

#15 noi'mnot

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

The magimix 5200XL is the one I'm saving up for. From everything that I've read (and I obsessed over it for simply ages) it's really the way to go. And it's meant to be a lot quieter, with a better quality motor.

If you can afford it, then it's a no-brainer in my view. original.gif

#16 More than a Mother

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

We've (hubby) has a Magimix. The big one, whatever that is. We've probably had it 8-9 years with no issues. The small bowl is handy for herbs etc. I've never used the middle sized one.

It gets regular use, and I've started using it more for slicing and grating. I haven't minced with it, but that's because we got the attachement for the KA, so use that.

#17 *LucyE*

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

I think the actual machine that you buy for a specific job will do a better job then an all in one

This is how I feel.

I have a TMX but bought it knowing I wouldn't be using it as some of the fanatics do.

I also have a Braun food processor that's older than my first child. I still use it even though I have a TMX. I don't think it's available anymore though. If I were to replace it now, I'd look at the new Bosch ones.

#18 MrsShine

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have a really good Cuisinart food processor/ blender with glass jug that I love. It's base is the size of a standard blender and you just switch between the food processor and blender. I love it!

http://www.oo.com.au/Cuisinart-SmartPower-...len_P117002.cfm

#19 knittingkitten

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

I have this Cuisinart. I'm in lurrrvvveeeeeee. It's got a very powerful motor. It made a real rendang paste...normally most food processors can't handle the galangal and leave it in small woody chunks.

And the link has a very good price!

Edited by knittingkitten, 19 November 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#20 MrsLexiK

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (noi'mnot @ 19/11/2012, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The magimix 5200XL is the one I'm saving up for. From everything that I've read (and I obsessed over it for simply ages) it's really the way to go. And it's meant to be a lot quieter, with a better quality motor.

If you can afford it, then it's a no-brainer in my view. original.gif

QUOTE (ssorrrento @ 19/11/2012, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've (hubby) has a Magimix. The big one, whatever that is. We've probably had it 8-9 years with no issues. The small bowl is handy for herbs etc. I've never used the middle sized one.

It gets regular use, and I've started using it more for slicing and grating. I haven't minced with it, but that's because we got the attachement for the KA, so use that.

Thanks for this, I do love the look of the 5200XL or even the 4200XL would do us fine, I think.

QUOTE (*LucyE* @ 19/11/2012, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is how I feel.

I have a TMX but bought it knowing I wouldn't be using it as some of the fanatics do.

I also have a Braun food processor that's older than my first child. I still use it even though I have a TMX. I don't think it's available anymore though. If I were to replace it now, I'd look at the new Bosch ones.

All the reviews I read that were ravign about different products all started "my Braun finally packed in" lol.  I did have a look at the Bosch ones, so thank you for that.  Not sure if my general dislike (for totally unrelated issues) will get me over the line though, but I will keep it in mind. original.gif

QUOTE (MrsShine @ 19/11/2012, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a really good Cuisinart food processor/ blender with glass jug that I love. It's base is the size of a standard blender and you just switch between the food processor and blender. I love it!

http://www.oo.com.au/Cuisinart-SmartPower-...len_P117002.cfm

I saw that last night at Myer, unfortunatly the work bowel would be too small.

QUOTE (knittingkitten @ 19/11/2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have this Cuisinart. I'm in lurrrvvveeeeeee. It's got a very powerful motor. It made a real rendang paste...normally most food processors can't handle the galangal and leave it in small woody chunks.

And the link has a very good price!

The 14 cup one is on my list original.gif

I think I have nailed it down to either ther Magimix 4200XL, the Cusinart 14 cup, and the Breville wizz is still in the mix as it is 2000 watts,

#21 ednaboo

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I have  Sunbeam processor and it sucks.  I'm hoping it will die so I can buy a better one, except I never use it so it is unlikely to die.  When I buy a better one, it will have a large and small bowl, as I find it impossible to make curry paste or pesto in the large bowl on the Sunbeam.

#22 unicorn

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 19/11/2012, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that link, I did have a look, I will probably wait til the boxing day sales to see if I can get something on special anyway, or pop in on the weekend and see if they have a special or can match online and put it on layby.  With the amount of money I got I am sort of stuck at Myer and I don't have anything to waste the myer gift cards on original.gif

I love everything else kitchen aid which is why when I read the reviews I was a bit shocked.  There were more more disastisfied (sp?) reviews then there was happy reviews.  One of the complaints was the seal doesn't seal well - have you found this?

I like the quite aspect! I don't mind the weight - other then being able to get it home as I won't be moving it around it will just sit on the bench (otherwise I would probably forget to use the darn thing and after grating 2 carrots and 2 zuccinis for tacos or spag bol I would be cursing myself lol) As above, have you found the sealer to be a PITA at all? as in does it leak?

I haven't had any problems with the seal on the foodie, my KA blender wouldn't seal properly around the blade bit, DH mucked around with it and it is fine now, he said some things just need a bit of help seating themselves.

#23 kay11

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Ehill @ 19/11/2012, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

100% agree here. My SIL and I both bought one and are very unhappy. THe motor is sized large but is not well controlled so it spins too fast and is uncontrolled and stuff is flung everywhere without any decent effect. My Sil's mum had an old one and is was fantastic - but the new ones we've bought have been useless. She now swears by the V-slicer she bought and I just went back to using a knife...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.