How does your pet boss you around?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 (feral)epg

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Got woken up last night at about 3 am with the 'oriental yowl' - you know the one that makes you think that your cat is hanging by it's back leg from the blinds or something equally dire.

The biscuit bowl was empty.  Loki the bengal found this quite distressing

Yes I filled it before going back to bed.  I'm a sucker like that.

#2 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Neighbour and her DH were sitting on the lounge watching TV. Dog sat looking at them then went to the door to be let out. Neighbour got up to let dog out but dog doubled back and jumped on the lounge where neighbour had been sitting.

#3 Epitome

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

I get nudged when my services are required or tapped using their front paws (poodles think their front legs are arms/hands)

Someone on the floor who wants up on the couch/bed - tapping my leg with front foot
Someone who thinks they are a better choice to take up space on my lap than the computer - tapping on my arm until I move
Hey Mum! you stopped patting my head - nudge with their head so that its impossible to do anything else

Toy poodle is actually perfectly capable of getting herself on and off beds, couches etc when it suits her, but regularly she has a "Come and pick me up" yodel if she decides that jumping down is not something she wants to do

Mini poodle throws her toys and me and has been known to use her "I'm soo bored please play with me" yodel/sigh if I'm working from home...

She has also perfected the art of dropping a toy on my DH's laptop (which hits the off button) if she feels he is being too neglectful

Its a good thing they're cute

#4 fruitbat72

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

I get lots of cuddles in the night when Ms Rosie is feeling particularly needy

Can be suffocating (literally)

My old man Sam has a tendency to BASH the front door until we let him in. No sleeping through that and he has taught the others how to do it as well.

#5 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

If I stop patting the dog he wont stop nudging my hand to scratch him more, until HE has had enough. Then he will just lay across me.
Dinner time he will delibratly sit in my way wherever I walk until he gets fed. if im eating he looks at me with the 'im a starving puppy' eyes, yes I cave
If I go to the shops I can hear him howling about being locked outside. He has toys, bones, a giant comfy kennel and yet inside is still the best. I may now leave the back door open so he can get in and out.
He sleeps on my bed. He has 2 of his own but no, not good enough. He can only stay if he dosent fart or snore, I have my limits and that exceeds his cute-ness.
He acts like a puppy when hes a 4yo, 65kg american bulldog.

#6 Angelina Ballerina

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

One of my cats tells me off whenever I sneeze.

#7 Apageintime

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

my cat weasles her way into bed EVERY night. between DH and I.

We both end up on about 4 inches of bed right at the edges while she luxuriates in style in the middle. If you roll into her area in your sleep by mistake, she'll entend her claws into your stomach (slowly like she's stetching).

#8 raven74

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

My dogs sleep on a chesterfield.  Old dog will grumble outside our bedroom until I get up. The problem? The big dog has taken up too much room and Must Be Moved.  SO I move big dog, old dog jumps up and proceeds to cram herself into a corner.  Big dog then  stretches out on  the rest, as it was before old dog woke up and decided this was an injustice to her spacial needs.
All at 2.00am.  
Old dog also wont eat and whinges at me if her breakfast does not have milk on it.

The cats?  Well, everyone knows we are but servants.

Edited by raven74, 19 November 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#9 Therese

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Our 18 year old cat bites my ankles if I don't feed her quickly enough. And if she wants her 3rd breakfast of the day wink.gif

Our old golden retriever nudges and nudges you for pats.

Our lab stands at the back door barking until you let him in. It's not continuous barking, he barks one bark a minute lol.

#10 PurpleNess

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

The cats rule the house & boss me around constantly

Meow - I want food NOW
Meow - I want to go out the front door despite having a cat door to the backyard & cat enclosure
Meow - Feed me again
Bang bang on screen door - Let me in NOW
Meow - Let me out again NOW

Purr Purr, pad pad - I want to sit on your feet/head/arms/shoulders/back etc etc etc NOW

This is repeated in a variety of versions 24/7... all with intermittent rumbling & bickering between the two of them!!

#11 la di dah

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

Our young male cat is a needy beast. He regularly gets "lost" where his meow takes on a different tone and starts to get really sad and plaintive and he wants cuddles from anyone who's near (or our other cat) but he doesn't actually go looking for us, he will do that in a hallway all I'M LOSTTTTTTT without looking in rooms in either end of the hallway.

Or he'll do it IN a hiding place, such as in my husband's nightstand or the exact centre of under our bed, and expect me to find him and take him out and hug him.

I've watched him go from asleep to immediate crying before even opening his eyes (settling right down when he saw me) so I dunno if he has bad dreams or what.

#12 ubermum

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

My cats are both pensioners these days and are becoming more needy. My female sometimes gets lost in the house. I will be lying in bed and here her calling in her "where did everyone go?" voice. If she doesn't come to my voice, I have to go and get her.
Her brother can be a real p.i.t.a. I am sure he knows we are renting. If he wants to go out, he scratches the door. If he wants to come in, he plucks at my bedroom flyscreen and rattles it. He goes out for 5 minutes at a time twice through the night, normally 1am and 5am. Nice. The baby feeds at similar times. He also pokes me in the face with a paw when he wants to be fed. If I ignore him, he sticks a claw out. If I am on the computer, he sits on the keyboard.

#13 la di dah

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 19/11/2012, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My cats are both pensioners these days and are becoming more needy. My female sometimes gets lost in the house. I will be lying in bed and here her calling in her "where did everyone go?" voice. If she doesn't come to my voice, I have to go and get her.

This is what my young male does. He's not even a year old yet so it's not that he's old. He's just a weirdo. He can hear well at least and will immediately calm down and start purring if I answer his "AAAAAH!" panicky meows with something. It's just strange because he doesn't even want to be fed and it's a little apartment, where can he think I've gone?

#14 (feral)epg

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 19/11/2012, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what my young male does. He's not even a year old yet so it's not that he's old. He's just a weirdo. He can hear well at least and will immediately calm down and start purring if I answer his "AAAAAH!" panicky meows with something. It's just strange because he doesn't even want to be fed and it's a little apartment, where can he think I've gone?

I don't think it's an "I'm lost" thing.  I think it's a "lets's see if I can get Mum to get out of bed, or stop watching TV and come and attend to me".  My boy does this - and when you come to rescue him he's always so delighted to see you and gets really cuddly and lovely.  At night he's generally in the bath (he's decided this is the BEST place for cuddles), and during the day he likes to get me to come out into the sunshine for a cuddle.  It's manipulative but I think its also a really good little break to go out into the garden and scratch a cats tummy for 5 minutes so maybe he's just got my best interests at heart!

#15 sir_mix-a-lot

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

To save myself a whole lot of typing, it's something quite similar to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q&feature=fvst

#16 GamerMum

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Rusty the cat will sit under the open window and meow at me.... until I open the door that is two feet away. She'll jump in through the window perfectly fine, she's just lazy. I'm stupid enough to do it for her though. Tounge1.gif
She will also lay herself in front of the fridge. If you dare open the fridge without giving her something, she'll attack your feet.
She has conversations with me. She'll perch herself somewhere, stare at me, and meow. I can say anything back, and she'll respond. If I don't talk to her, she gets the grumpies and won't come near me for half the day.

Mystique the kitten will follow you around the house headbutting any part of you she can reach. Scratch her head for two seconds and she's happy.

Obelix the kitten will sit on my chest and meow at me until I get up and feed him.

With both kittens, if they want to get on your lap, they will find a way. They've crawled their way under the baby, the laptop, books, plates... anything! They will find a small spot and squish their way in. Pushing them away is met with claws into the furniture so they are stuck to me.

From 5pm onwards it's a chorus of cat meows in my house. They get fed at 8pm, but they are all determined for me to change that (even Rusty, who is 9 and knows better).

The dogs are more dramatic, as they are larger. One of them sits up against the back door and bangs his head against it until you go out to him. The other one whines and carries on like he's dieing until you go play with him.
When out with the dogs, the lab/great dane will try and walk through your legs. He's so huge this always means you fall onto him, which is his plan, so he can lick your face.
The ridgeback/rotty will sneakily walk up to you and pretend to pee on you. Just so you talk/yell at him, then he's happy and runs to finds a toy.

My animals rule my life. And I happily let them. biggrin.gif

#17 The Old Feral

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I was also awoken by the oriental yowl yesterday morning!

In my case the translation went like this: Those rubber bands I ate? I need to vomit them up along with everything I've eaten all year.... oh and looky, I found the carpet, perfect spot eh?  Here you go.

#18 la di dah

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (epg @ 19/11/2012, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it's an "I'm lost" thing.  I think it's a "lets's see if I can get Mum to get out of bed, or stop watching TV and come and attend to me".  My boy does this - and when you come to rescue him he's always so delighted to see you and gets really cuddly and lovely.  At night he's generally in the bath (he's decided this is the BEST place for cuddles), and during the day he likes to get me to come out into the sunshine for a cuddle.  It's manipulative but I think its also a really good little break to go out into the garden and scratch a cats tummy for 5 minutes so maybe he's just got my best interests at heart!

It might be that but he doesn't seem to care if you don't even do much for him, or whether its me or the other cat or DH who finds him, as long as someone does and gives him a cuddle. And he does seem worried/freaked until he finds somebody.

The other cat won't get up and find him but if he finds her, she washes him and tries to make him go to sleep.

#19 Foogle

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Where do I start?  I'm up minimum three times a night (every night) because of the beasts.

Cat - 'MACKTM' as DH calls her - 'Most Annoying Creature Known to Mankind' thumps and scratches the glass of the French doors that lead into our bedroom (they are open) to wake me up for no other reason than she is awake and bored of her own company.

If that doesn't work, she wakes the Airedale who will then stick a wet nose in my eye or whack me with a paw to wake me. Why those two can't just muck around together without me having to be up is beyond me.

The Springer is getting me up each night lately as well to go out for a pee.  He's getting on and can't hold it all night any longer so I don't mind but that of course gets the other two going as well and he never wakes up and wants to go when those other two are up.  It's always around the 4am mark when he wants to go out.  rolleyes.gif

So it's a merry round-a-bout each night here.  Cat up, Airedale up, Cat sleep, Airedale sleep, Springer up, Cat up, Airedale up... and so it continues.

#20 ali27

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I have two dogs. Both desperately want their own way. Dog 1 wants to go outside for a wee at about 5am. She wakes me up by hitting me across the face with her front paw. Repeats until goal is achieved.

Dog 2 always wants to be inside. If she has to go outside, will bark in a loud and urgent manner, running all over the back yard until she gets back in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.