Guess who i met!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 -*meh*-

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Supanova was in adelaide this weekend...

And i got to meet James Marsters (Spike from Buffy and the voice behind the dresden files books), Felicia Day (From buffy, Eureka and others), John DiMaggio (Voice of Bender - Futurama) and Billy West (Voice of Fry - Futurama, red m&m, ren and stimpy and so many others!)... And DP and I got photos and autographs with all of them!

OMG it was awesome!!!!!

So who have you met... Either formally like a gig like this or accidently!

#2 Bomber girl

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

I served Liam Hemsworth at work one night. He was on neighbours then and no one else knew who he was lol

#3 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Bill Clinton! After he was president though, he came out Australia and visited Sydney...my girlfriends and I were lunching at Ottos and in he waltzed with his security entourage....my girlfriend had a baby with her so we used her as a prop to get him to come over and have a photo (you know what politicians are like with babies) ...it was amazing! He sure had charisma ..

#4 roses99

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

As a journalist, I got to meet a lot of famous-but-not-so-cool people. Politicians etc. But I did also meet and interview some very cool people. I miss my annual chat with Bryce Courtenay about his latest book. And I got to meet Jeffrey Archer in person and chat about life and cricket for half an hour (very suave). He was also kind enough to autograph my stack of books. Interviewing Tim Freedman was another highlight.

#5 Jekaho

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

James Marsters!!! AWESOME!

I haven't really met anyone overly famous. But my hubby won a charity bidding thing for OxfamNZ and had coffee, which ended up a two hour lunch, with Bret McKenzie from Flight of the Conchords.

#6 nikki44

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Sean Connery! My Mum and I happened to be sitting next to him at the ballet once in Scotland. I think I was about 13 at the time and although I knew who he was I wasn't as overawed by him as I would be if I met him now having watched all his movies! He was with Ronnie Corbett, a famous older British comedian - I was much more excited about him as we watched his Two Ronnies show every week at the time.

#7 bubbalee

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

I also met James Masters a few years ago.

Chris Hemsworth is an old friend of mine original.gif

#8 -*meh*-

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (roses99 @ 18/11/2012, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a journalist, I got to meet a lot of famous-but-not-so-cool people. Politicians etc. But I did also meet and interview some very cool people. I miss my annual chat with Bryce Courtenay about his latest book. And I got to meet Jeffrey Archer in person and chat about life and cricket for half an hour (very suave). He was also kind enough to autograph my stack of books. Interviewing Tim Freedman was another highlight.

Wow Bryce! that would have been awesome!

#9 -*meh*-

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (nikki44 @ 18/11/2012, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sean Connery! My Mum and I happened to be sitting next to him at the ballet once in Scotland. I think I was about 13 at the time and although I knew who he was I wasn't as overawed by him as I would be if I met him now having watched all his movies! He was with Ronnie Corbett, a famous older British comedian - I was much more excited about him as we watched his Two Ronnies show every week at the time.

oh the voice!!! mmmm i wouldn't mind meeting Sean!

oh and just for the show off...

the photo of DP and I with James! He is actually quite short! DP was so excited he was taller than him!

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-a...626421295_n.jpg

#10 Jupiter

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I met the PM through work. I set up a live chat event for her and got to sit in on the whole thing. biggrin.gif

#11 Lees75

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

OP, my XH and girlfriend were there yesterday too. XH was soooo excited, being a massive Buffy/Angel fan original.gif

I've met Janet Jackson. We were at a hen's night. We were at the club that used to be at the bottom of the Hyatt. No one was there so we went to leave. The bouncer told us to wait 10 mins as he had a surprise for us. Lucky we did- Janet Jackson came in and DJ-ed for us! Best thing ever!

#12 2bundles

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Bono before the Brisbane concert a few years ago.  We got backstage tickets to meet him and free tickets to sit on the sounddeck from DH's friend who knows Bono's brother.

#13 Jenferal

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Lol Jupiter, for a second I read it as you got to sit on his lap....I should pay more attention when reading sometimes original.gif

James Marsters would be great to meet, but he should be blonde still.
I've met a few local pollies and celebs working in retail in Canberra. No one really amazing...
Oh, no,  one night (late night shopping) Jackie Chan was in the centre(his family live here) and he was like a SUPERSTAR! Shades on inside, big fur coat....hundreds of kids following him. My damn boss wouldn't let me out to go meet him sad.gif

#14 Kwyjibo

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Billy West and John DiMaggio? So, so jealous. Why didn't they come to Perth *wails*

On the topic of voice actors, I do have a Spinal Tap video sleeve signed by Harry Shearer  cool.gif

I never met him though, got it sent through the post (after sending it to him). I have exchanged e-mails with him too.

The only proper celeb I have met is Richard Briers (British actor in The Good Life). I used his loo.

Edited by Kwyjibo, 18 November 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#15 Feral_Pooks

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Wow OP! I would have had a nerdgasm. Jealous!

#16 -*meh*-

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (Kwyjibo @ 18/11/2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Billy West and John DiMaggio? So, so jealous. Why didn't they come to Perth *wails*

On the topic of voice actors, I do have a Spinal Tap video sleeve signed by Harry Shearer  cool.gif

I never met him though, got it sent through the post (after sending it to him). I have exchanged e-mails with him too.

The only proper celeb I have met is Richard Briers (British actor in The Good Life). I used his loo.

they were awesome and so funny... We sat in to two of their q&a panels... Billy did his walking on sunrise and happy happy joy joy... John made DS1's day by talking to him in benders voice!

#17 casime

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

I've met heaps.   I lived in LA for a while, and was friends with someone who worked at Warner Bros studios.  We became good friends with some of the cast of a tv show that was filming there and used to hang out on set a lot and watch football.  I've met a lotof the cast members of shows that were popular during that time and were filmed at WB.  

One of the most interesting people I have met was Colleen McCullough.  It was not long after the first few books in her Roman series had been released and I had been reading them while on holiday.  I was still in high school (just finished year 11) at the time and was planning on studying ancient history when I graduated.  We were having dinner in a restaurant on Norfolk Island and she was sitting near us.  After she went to leave I walked up to her and told her how much I enjoyed the books and that I was studying ancient history.  The next day we got back to our unit and her assistant had dropped off the authors copies of the first four books, all personally autographed to me.  I rang someone I knew who was friends with her to get her number to thank her and got invited to her house.  I spent the most fascinating afternoon sitting in her lounge room discussing history and she gave me a tour of her personal art collection and ancient artifacts she has collected.   It always struck me how she was so open and willing to invite a kid to her home and spend time with them.  She's an absolutely fascinating lady, with a really wicked sense of humour.

#18 baddmammajamma

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 18/11/2012, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bill Clinton! After he was president though, he came out Australia and visited Sydney...my girlfriends and I were lunching at Ottos and in he waltzed with his security entourage....my girlfriend had a baby with her so we used her as a prop to get him to come over and have a photo (you know what politicians are like with babies) ...it was amazing! He sure had charisma ..

He is *very* charismatic, isn't he? I met him on the campaign trail in early 1992 when he was still one of many Democratic contenders.

As Forsaken Truth (who loooooves Johnny Depp) and a few other EBers know, Winona Ryder was a childhood playmate on a few occasions (my dad grew up with her mum in Minnesota). We used to go in the hot tub together. wink.gif

I also attended a birthday party with Henry Winkler ("The Fonz") in the 1970s. He narrated a Academy Award winning documentary about a family on our street (the parents had adopted multiple children with special needs). The birthday girl was a classmate of mine -- she was partially blind, had 3rd degree burns over much of her body & was from Korea. Not exactly the making of being popular at my school. She invited a bunch of kids from our class -- only I and a few other girls attended the party. You can imagine how JEALOUS those other means girls were when they found out that The Fonz was there! (serves them right!)

I grew up in San Francisco and used to live in Washington, D.C. and NYC, where running into well known people is not that uncommon.

A few of my other favs:

* Placido Domingo (sat next to him at a dress rehearsal for the D.C. Opera)
* Clint Eastwood (before he was a crazy Mitt Romney supporter). He went to my high school.
* Ted Kennedy (got off a very witty line when I met him at a Senate hearing)
* Barry Williams (Greg Brady)

#19 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 18/11/2012, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also attended a birthday party with Henry Winkler ("The Fonz") in the 1970s. He narrated a Academy Award winning documentary about a family on our street (the parents had adopted multiple children with special needs). The birthday girl was a classmate of mine -- she was partially blind, had 3rd degree burns over much of her body & was from Korea. Not exactly the making of being popular at my school. She invited a bunch of kids from our class -- only I and a few other girls attended the party. You can imagine how JEALOUS those other means girls were when they found out that The Fonz was there! (serves them right!)

I grew up in San Francisco and used to live in Washington, D.C. and NYC, where running into well known people is not that uncommon.

That's fantastic! Love the Fonz! Ted Kennedy would have been pretty cool too....

#20 CallMeFeral

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (-*meh*- @ 18/11/2012, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got to meet James Marsters

I can now officially never speak to you from SHEER JEALOUSY!  cry1.gif

#21 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

I am beyond jealous!
I wanted to go, cash said no.
All I wanted to do was meet James Marsters, maybe hump his leg lmao!
Im just gunna go cry in a corner now.

#22 liveworkplay

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Where I lived and worked in London there were heaps of British A-grade actors living there as well. So just walking to the local shops I'd pass pleasantries with lots of well known people. There was also the odd A-lister such as Pierce Bronson and Helena Bonham Carter.

I have also met Queen Elizabeth. I was in the school choir and we were singing at the ANZAC day service she attended. she came up and spoke to us as a group.

Edited by liveworkplay, 18 November 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#23 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

I've mostly met band people from ex-stalker days. My favourite was Mike Patton  wub.gif

#24 R2B2

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Tim Freedman.  wub.gif
Slim Dusty Tounge1.gif
was in a club with Merrick and Rosso once.

#25 casime

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

I have also met Queen Elizabeth. I was in the school choir and we were singing at the ANZAC day service she attended. she came up and spoke to us as a group.

Officially jealous.   She's someone who fascinates me.  If I ever met her I'd probably squeak with excitement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind", as one writer has claimed?

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.