How strict are you with eating guidelines while pregnant?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 kiwi-girl

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Just wondering how strict you are while pregnant with all the various eating guidelines that are out there?

I am newly pregnant (6.5weeks - second pregnancy, first pregnancy ended in MMC) and have been fairly careful within reason to date. When I saw my FS (who is also an OB) he was really relaxed and said you can get as strict as you want but he only warns "no alcohol, 1 cup of coffee per day, no raw seafood". He said it was ok to eat ham, cheese etc....(obviously within standard food safety guidelines).

Are you strict? Eat what you want? or somewhere in between?

#2 SpaghettiMonster

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

I eat too much sweet stuff, but do well in avoiding coffee, alcohol, sushi, pre-made rice and prawns. I also eat McDonald's occasionally, but most of the time my diet consists largely of cereals, legumes, veggies. So I am probably somewhere in the middle!

#3 Juju38

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

I pretty much follow your OBs rules.  No alcohol at all.  Only 1 coffee a day (this I find the hardest to maintain!) and no raw fish or any sushi due to the risk with the rice.

I still eat ham, albeit infrequently, if I know it is fresh off the bone.  I am more concerned with nitrates than freshness, but that applies to not being pregnant too.

I still eat salads, just not pre-prepared ones.  I have friends who refuse to eat salad for the duration of their pregnancies, even when washed and made at home.

I am cautious with seafood and don't eat pre-cooked prawns.  I eat fish regularly and where I would normally eat salmon a little underdone, when pregnant, I cook it thoroughly.

I do still from time to time indulge in a little fresh brie or blue cheese.  I am not so concerned with cheese as it is made from pasteurised milk in Australia.  I just don't eat feta from delis where I have no idea when they last changed the water it sits in.

#4 HurryUpAlready

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

I pretty much did what your OB said (except I drank a glass of red wine when I wanted to).

I wouldn't have eaten ham from anywhere, but my local deli is always super busy so I know their product doesn't sit around for long.

I just made sure what I ate was fresh, reheated well where applicable.

I definitely am not a member of the listeria hysteria club.

#5 Mummy fab

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

I'm somewhere in the middle, I still drink too much coffee ( but have ordered some Nescafé decaf pods this week). But I don't eat soft cheese or salami. Later on I may have a glass of wine. I don't really drink anyway so it's no big difference.

I don't go totally crazy like no lettuce etc.

#6 Mummy fab

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Oh and I don't have runny yolk in my eggs

#7 sarkazm76

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Was more strict the first time around - not so much this time.... also because I'm 50kg heavier this time so trying to not gain any weight, at least no more than the baby weighs.  So far so good, I actually lost some weight in the first tri (yay).  Chocolate gives me migraines when pregnant so that helps.  
I am trying to limit my caffeine and low calorie soft drinks, things with lots of unpronouncables in them.  Rest of the time I am eating anything that doesn't make me gag at the thought.  Mostly craving salads.  I dont' buy pre-prepared ones from the supermarket, not into Subway where it comes in a bag and sits around all day - but at home or in a cafe or restaurant I'm not worried.
I've never had food poisoning so I don't expect to get it now.

#8 3littlegents

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I avoid alcohol 100%
Everything else I eat with normal care (ie no short use by date smoked salmon, or cheese platters left on the table for too long).
Avoiding ham and lettuce seems crazy.
Wash the lettuce like it is recommended you do (even when not pregnant) and buy ham from the deli that doesn't smell funky. Common sense stuff.

#9 pinkchutney

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

My child was IVF after 6 miscarriages and 7 years TTC. So I think I tended to be more 'paranoid' than the norm. My fellow IVFers I found were also as paranoid.  However, the mothers in my mothers group (none IVF) didn't adhere to the eating bans at all. And most hadn't even heard of them!

Must add that those not eating salad AT ALL are incorrect. Salad from shops is unknown, and therefore on the "do not eat list". But if you make it at home, wash it correctly it is perfectly fine.

#10 FERALfoxgirls

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

I have probably ticked every box in the 'bad eating guidelines' and I'm only 7wks. But it's all in extreme moderation. If your eating/ drinking thee 'Bad things' day in day out then surely that's when it's a worry?? But then, I guess it would only take one dodgy pizza shop with crap salami and that would do it?????
My point is, if I worried about it too much it would do my head in. So again, my idea is moderation.

Edited by foxgirls, 18 November 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#11 kiwi-girl

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for all your responses so far. I have noticed that this time I am much more relaxed about all the food stuff, especially after what my DR said. Common sense is the way to go!

#12 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I am avoiding things like alcohol, raw seafood, pre made salads etc but yesterday I had freshly made sushi with cooked ingredients still hot, so I'm not over the top this time. Christmas I'll still have fresh ham we carve off the bone but sadly no prawns, smoked salmon etc. Blue cheese and feta will also be hard for me!

#13 JillyJellyBean

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Im desperate for blue cheese. I might just treat myself for Christmas. I think I have had too many hysterics in my head. Thanks for the rationale ladies.

#14 Rachiee

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

I am not very strict at all in my second pregnancy but then I wasn't really in my first either.

I avoid alcohol, I eat soft cheese but only if it's made with pasteurized milk (most are if you read the label), I eat meat that is medium rare, soft eggs and ham etc. Salami and other cured meats I will eat if they are reheated.

I cut back my coffee from 3 a day to 1 but still have the occasional extra one every now and then if I feel like it.

I don't eat seafood at all anyway so don't have to worry about that and I eat salads but just a little bit more careful about where I get if from.

There is no need to get obsessive, just exercise a little bit of common sense.

#15 vintage.blue

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

I stuck to some rules and relaxed on others.

No alcohol at all.  No sushi. Rarely had soft cheese as long as it was Australian. But I still eat ham and salad as long as it's all fresh and washed.

#16 Glitterz

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I think this time around (we have a DD)  I am less strict with what Im eating.  Im not drinking any alcohol though.

I have one coffee a day, ill eat ham if its on a toastie at home.  Im not too fussy about salads, although to be honest, Im really not feeling like salad at the moment anyway.

I guess Im cautious about left overs and that sort of thing, and avoiding soft cheeses as well.  But Im sure ill have a piece of soft cheese or two over christmas. wink.gif

Im trying to eat in moderation, but finding it hard with morning sickness.

#17 MAGS24

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I followed the guidelines 100% for both of my pregnancies and no alcohol at all. I also made sure I took all the vitamins and the correct level of iodine, which is good for babies development. It doesn't take much to give up a few things for 9 months.

#18 Libster

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (sarkazm76 @ 18/11/2012, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never had food poisoning so I don't expect to get it now.

You're actually a lot more susceptible to listeria when you're pregnant.

QUOTE (foxgirls @ 18/11/2012, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But then, I guess it would only take one dodgy pizza shop with crap salami and that would do it?????
My point is, if I worried about it too much it would do my head in. So again, my idea is moderation.

If you go to a pizzeria that you trust then there shouldn't be a problem, even if the pizza shop looks a bit dodgy, as long as the pizza is piping hot and eaten fresh out of the oven it's better than having cold salami on a sandwich.

OP I've been relatively careful, although I do have a couple of cans of Coke a day which has less caffeine than coffee. I'm staying away from soft cheeses and not eating ham unless it is hot on a pizza. I did have non-fish sushi the other week but I felt really guilty so I won't be doing that again until I have the baby.

#19 Nut

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

I was fairly strict with my pregnancies but not religiously. I did not have soft serve ice cream as I know people who have worked with those machines and told me about their cleaning, even though they are cleans to strict standards.

I did not touch deli meats (prepackaged or otherwise) because there have been far too many cases of recalls for contaminated products.

I did sample brie every now and then and I did have uncooked feta as long as it was not in brine, though again it was a rarity.

Ultimately, my goal was to minimise potential risks to my babies. Not eating these things for 8 months is not that hard and I used my own judgment.

#20 Duck-o-lah

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I'm more strict on some things than others. I still have one coffee a day, sometimes I will have an extra coffee if I'm invited out. I don't do well-done meat, I'd rather go without. I have it on the more 'done' side of medium rare. I'll eat anything if it's come out of a 200+ degree pizza oven Tounge1.gif I plan to have half a glass of red wine on Christmas day.

On the flip side I won't touch cold ham, as a pp said there was a recent recall that gave me the heebie jeebies. I don't eat pre-prepared salads, but I eat home made salad. I don't bother with soft cheese either, while I like it, I don't like it enough to risk it. Leftovers get passed over to DH after 24 hours. I don't eat sushi at all.

#21 Propaganda

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

I wasn't strict and I don't plan to be strict next pregnancy either.

I used common sense, and avoided only raw seafood and alcohol.

#22 Bluemakede

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'm semi strict, and some things I don't have anyway so it's not a problem (alcohol, seafood and sushi).

I'll only eat deli meats and soft cheeses if they're hot, salads I'll eat if they're made at home (which even pre-pg was what I mostly did anyway). Left-overs I won't eat after 24 hours, I'll drink coffee if it's ice cold (have gotten an aversion to hot coffee/cappuccino etc) some days above the recommended amount for caffeine, I still have my steak medium.

Things like egg I never really like runny yolk so not to much of a problem, and I make my own hollandaise sauce at home so I know the yolk is cooked not raw in it.

#23 Ice Queen

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Wasnt fussy at all.  No alcohol and cut down my coffee intake a bit.  Pate too which wierdly my OB said steer clear from despite him being very casual about everything else.

I find the salad hype bizarre, I had never ever heard that until EB and I have known a LOT of pregnant women.  How on earth do you stay healthy?  A salad sandwich/wrap/bagutte for lunch is what I ate every single day.  Surely raw salad ingredients are exactly what you should be eating to get as much nutrients and good stuff into your body??  Anyway ignorance was bliss for me on that one.

#24 WYSIWYG

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Not very strict. I just use common sense, I wouldn't say I follow the guidelines to the T.
I limit high mercury fish, I don't eat raw fish, I am very wary of eating chicken and seafood.
I still have soft serve and thickshakes, I still eat my steak rare, I still eat deli meats and soft cheeses, I have had half a flute of champagne on NYE whilst pregnant with DD2 and half a bottle (if that) of beer while pregnant with DD1.

#25 Duck-o-lah

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I find the salad hype bizarre, I had never ever heard that until EB and I have known a LOT of pregnant women. How on earth do you stay healthy?
I've never heard of anyone who hasn't eaten salad full stop, but I imagine people like myself who won't eat pre-packed salads etc get around it by preparing their own lunch at home.

Although when I was pg with DS I was much less organised and often went for the hot chips instead of salad sandwiches at the uni cafeteria  ph34r.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.