How strict are you with eating guidelines while pregnant?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 kiwi-girl

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Just wondering how strict you are while pregnant with all the various eating guidelines that are out there?

I am newly pregnant (6.5weeks - second pregnancy, first pregnancy ended in MMC) and have been fairly careful within reason to date. When I saw my FS (who is also an OB) he was really relaxed and said you can get as strict as you want but he only warns "no alcohol, 1 cup of coffee per day, no raw seafood". He said it was ok to eat ham, cheese etc....(obviously within standard food safety guidelines).

Are you strict? Eat what you want? or somewhere in between?

#2 SpaghettiMonster

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

I eat too much sweet stuff, but do well in avoiding coffee, alcohol, sushi, pre-made rice and prawns. I also eat McDonald's occasionally, but most of the time my diet consists largely of cereals, legumes, veggies. So I am probably somewhere in the middle!

#3 Juju38

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

I pretty much follow your OBs rules.  No alcohol at all.  Only 1 coffee a day (this I find the hardest to maintain!) and no raw fish or any sushi due to the risk with the rice.

I still eat ham, albeit infrequently, if I know it is fresh off the bone.  I am more concerned with nitrates than freshness, but that applies to not being pregnant too.

I still eat salads, just not pre-prepared ones.  I have friends who refuse to eat salad for the duration of their pregnancies, even when washed and made at home.

I am cautious with seafood and don't eat pre-cooked prawns.  I eat fish regularly and where I would normally eat salmon a little underdone, when pregnant, I cook it thoroughly.

I do still from time to time indulge in a little fresh brie or blue cheese.  I am not so concerned with cheese as it is made from pasteurised milk in Australia.  I just don't eat feta from delis where I have no idea when they last changed the water it sits in.

#4 HurryUpAlready

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

I pretty much did what your OB said (except I drank a glass of red wine when I wanted to).

I wouldn't have eaten ham from anywhere, but my local deli is always super busy so I know their product doesn't sit around for long.

I just made sure what I ate was fresh, reheated well where applicable.

I definitely am not a member of the listeria hysteria club.

#5 Mummy fab

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

I'm somewhere in the middle, I still drink too much coffee ( but have ordered some Nescafé decaf pods this week). But I don't eat soft cheese or salami. Later on I may have a glass of wine. I don't really drink anyway so it's no big difference.

I don't go totally crazy like no lettuce etc.

#6 Mummy fab

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Oh and I don't have runny yolk in my eggs

#7 sarkazm76

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Was more strict the first time around - not so much this time.... also because I'm 50kg heavier this time so trying to not gain any weight, at least no more than the baby weighs.  So far so good, I actually lost some weight in the first tri (yay).  Chocolate gives me migraines when pregnant so that helps.  
I am trying to limit my caffeine and low calorie soft drinks, things with lots of unpronouncables in them.  Rest of the time I am eating anything that doesn't make me gag at the thought.  Mostly craving salads.  I dont' buy pre-prepared ones from the supermarket, not into Subway where it comes in a bag and sits around all day - but at home or in a cafe or restaurant I'm not worried.
I've never had food poisoning so I don't expect to get it now.

#8 3littlegents

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I avoid alcohol 100%
Everything else I eat with normal care (ie no short use by date smoked salmon, or cheese platters left on the table for too long).
Avoiding ham and lettuce seems crazy.
Wash the lettuce like it is recommended you do (even when not pregnant) and buy ham from the deli that doesn't smell funky. Common sense stuff.

#9 pinkchutney

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

My child was IVF after 6 miscarriages and 7 years TTC. So I think I tended to be more 'paranoid' than the norm. My fellow IVFers I found were also as paranoid.  However, the mothers in my mothers group (none IVF) didn't adhere to the eating bans at all. And most hadn't even heard of them!

Must add that those not eating salad AT ALL are incorrect. Salad from shops is unknown, and therefore on the "do not eat list". But if you make it at home, wash it correctly it is perfectly fine.

#10 BeakyHoneyButt

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

I have probably ticked every box in the 'bad eating guidelines' and I'm only 7wks. But it's all in extreme moderation. If your eating/ drinking thee 'Bad things' day in day out then surely that's when it's a worry?? But then, I guess it would only take one dodgy pizza shop with crap salami and that would do it?????
My point is, if I worried about it too much it would do my head in. So again, my idea is moderation.

Edited by foxgirls, 18 November 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#11 kiwi-girl

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for all your responses so far. I have noticed that this time I am much more relaxed about all the food stuff, especially after what my DR said. Common sense is the way to go!

#12 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I am avoiding things like alcohol, raw seafood, pre made salads etc but yesterday I had freshly made sushi with cooked ingredients still hot, so I'm not over the top this time. Christmas I'll still have fresh ham we carve off the bone but sadly no prawns, smoked salmon etc. Blue cheese and feta will also be hard for me!

#13 JillyJellyBean

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Im desperate for blue cheese. I might just treat myself for Christmas. I think I have had too many hysterics in my head. Thanks for the rationale ladies.

#14 Rachiee

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

I am not very strict at all in my second pregnancy but then I wasn't really in my first either.

I avoid alcohol, I eat soft cheese but only if it's made with pasteurized milk (most are if you read the label), I eat meat that is medium rare, soft eggs and ham etc. Salami and other cured meats I will eat if they are reheated.

I cut back my coffee from 3 a day to 1 but still have the occasional extra one every now and then if I feel like it.

I don't eat seafood at all anyway so don't have to worry about that and I eat salads but just a little bit more careful about where I get if from.

There is no need to get obsessive, just exercise a little bit of common sense.

#15 vintage.blue

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

I stuck to some rules and relaxed on others.

No alcohol at all.  No sushi. Rarely had soft cheese as long as it was Australian. But I still eat ham and salad as long as it's all fresh and washed.

#16 Glitterz

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I think this time around (we have a DD)  I am less strict with what Im eating.  Im not drinking any alcohol though.

I have one coffee a day, ill eat ham if its on a toastie at home.  Im not too fussy about salads, although to be honest, Im really not feeling like salad at the moment anyway.

I guess Im cautious about left overs and that sort of thing, and avoiding soft cheeses as well.  But Im sure ill have a piece of soft cheese or two over christmas. wink.gif

Im trying to eat in moderation, but finding it hard with morning sickness.

#17 MAGS24

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I followed the guidelines 100% for both of my pregnancies and no alcohol at all. I also made sure I took all the vitamins and the correct level of iodine, which is good for babies development. It doesn't take much to give up a few things for 9 months.

#18 Libster

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (sarkazm76 @ 18/11/2012, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never had food poisoning so I don't expect to get it now.

You're actually a lot more susceptible to listeria when you're pregnant.

QUOTE (foxgirls @ 18/11/2012, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But then, I guess it would only take one dodgy pizza shop with crap salami and that would do it?????
My point is, if I worried about it too much it would do my head in. So again, my idea is moderation.

If you go to a pizzeria that you trust then there shouldn't be a problem, even if the pizza shop looks a bit dodgy, as long as the pizza is piping hot and eaten fresh out of the oven it's better than having cold salami on a sandwich.

OP I've been relatively careful, although I do have a couple of cans of Coke a day which has less caffeine than coffee. I'm staying away from soft cheeses and not eating ham unless it is hot on a pizza. I did have non-fish sushi the other week but I felt really guilty so I won't be doing that again until I have the baby.

#19 Nut

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

I was fairly strict with my pregnancies but not religiously. I did not have soft serve ice cream as I know people who have worked with those machines and told me about their cleaning, even though they are cleans to strict standards.

I did not touch deli meats (prepackaged or otherwise) because there have been far too many cases of recalls for contaminated products.

I did sample brie every now and then and I did have uncooked feta as long as it was not in brine, though again it was a rarity.

Ultimately, my goal was to minimise potential risks to my babies. Not eating these things for 8 months is not that hard and I used my own judgment.

#20 Duck-o-lah

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I'm more strict on some things than others. I still have one coffee a day, sometimes I will have an extra coffee if I'm invited out. I don't do well-done meat, I'd rather go without. I have it on the more 'done' side of medium rare. I'll eat anything if it's come out of a 200+ degree pizza oven Tounge1.gif I plan to have half a glass of red wine on Christmas day.

On the flip side I won't touch cold ham, as a pp said there was a recent recall that gave me the heebie jeebies. I don't eat pre-prepared salads, but I eat home made salad. I don't bother with soft cheese either, while I like it, I don't like it enough to risk it. Leftovers get passed over to DH after 24 hours. I don't eat sushi at all.

#21 Propaganda

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

I wasn't strict and I don't plan to be strict next pregnancy either.

I used common sense, and avoided only raw seafood and alcohol.

#22 Bluemakede

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'm semi strict, and some things I don't have anyway so it's not a problem (alcohol, seafood and sushi).

I'll only eat deli meats and soft cheeses if they're hot, salads I'll eat if they're made at home (which even pre-pg was what I mostly did anyway). Left-overs I won't eat after 24 hours, I'll drink coffee if it's ice cold (have gotten an aversion to hot coffee/cappuccino etc) some days above the recommended amount for caffeine, I still have my steak medium.

Things like egg I never really like runny yolk so not to much of a problem, and I make my own hollandaise sauce at home so I know the yolk is cooked not raw in it.

#23 Ice Queen

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Wasnt fussy at all.  No alcohol and cut down my coffee intake a bit.  Pate too which wierdly my OB said steer clear from despite him being very casual about everything else.

I find the salad hype bizarre, I had never ever heard that until EB and I have known a LOT of pregnant women.  How on earth do you stay healthy?  A salad sandwich/wrap/bagutte for lunch is what I ate every single day.  Surely raw salad ingredients are exactly what you should be eating to get as much nutrients and good stuff into your body??  Anyway ignorance was bliss for me on that one.

#24 WYSIWYG

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Not very strict. I just use common sense, I wouldn't say I follow the guidelines to the T.
I limit high mercury fish, I don't eat raw fish, I am very wary of eating chicken and seafood.
I still have soft serve and thickshakes, I still eat my steak rare, I still eat deli meats and soft cheeses, I have had half a flute of champagne on NYE whilst pregnant with DD2 and half a bottle (if that) of beer while pregnant with DD1.

#25 Duck-o-lah

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I find the salad hype bizarre, I had never ever heard that until EB and I have known a LOT of pregnant women. How on earth do you stay healthy?
I've never heard of anyone who hasn't eaten salad full stop, but I imagine people like myself who won't eat pre-packed salads etc get around it by preparing their own lunch at home.

Although when I was pg with DS I was much less organised and often went for the hot chips instead of salad sandwiches at the uni cafeteria  ph34r.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tot meets his heroes, falls apart with excitement

Two-year-old Quincy finished his potty training last week, and as part of his reward he was able to meet his idols.

Beautiful in our eyes: Georgia's story

I will never deny the fact that grief has a place when you give birth to a child who brings a set of circumstances very different to what you imagined. Because for nine months, I thought I knew my Georgie.

'It's been phenomenal': widower dad of quads thankful for support

There was nothing Erica and Carlos wanted more than a baby.

Vin Diesel names daughter after actor Paul Walker

The actor said there was "no other person" he was thinking about when he chose the name.

How midwives can help women who experience domestic violence

More than half of women who live with abusive partners experience violence during pregnancy.

Mum describes giving birth during Cyclone Pam

A new mother was told she must flee Port Vila hospital with her baby as Cyclone Pam bore down.

6 signs you're done having babies

There were a few signs I'm never going back to the land of maternity jeans, breast pumps and bassinets.

Marta Dusseldorp reveals breastfeeding cost her an acting job

Australian actress Marta Dusseldorp has revealed she was forced to withdraw from a Sydney Theatre Company production because a director did not approve of her breast feeding.

Female celebs (or their babies) with traditionally male names

Looking for a name that's a little bit different for a girl? Turn to names that have been traditionally used for males, as these celebs (or their parents) did.

'If you're anti-immunisation ... take a look at this picture of my son'

Greg Hughes is "an absolute shell of a man" as he and his wife Catherine struggle to come to terms with the loss of their newborn son Riley to whooping cough.

How an extrovert can raise an introvert

Introverts are often misunderstood as shy, and sometimes even rude. A timid child can be difficult to build rapport with, but it's important we nurture their sensitive natures.

Sheryl Sandberg's advice

'Choreplay': Help out at home to get more sex, Sandberg tells men

Forget foreplay. The new and improved route to intercourse is "choreplay" - it's good for your spouse, good for your house, and comes with the imprimatur of feminist du jour Sheryl Sandberg.

How to play with your baby

The first time your child learns a new skill at playtime is very exciting - for both you and your baby! Play is important to your child's development for a variety of reasons - here are some simple ideas for you to try at home.

I'm a single mother by choice

For me, being the best mother I can be means being a mum alone, at least for now. Thinking of my friends with inadequate partners, I wonder why more people don’t choose single motherhood.

Awkward wedding photos

Weird poses, surprise photobombs, bizarre editing: these are the wedding photos that should have never seen the light of day.

Four-week-old baby Riley Hughes dies of whooping cough

The mother of a four-week-old Perth baby who died after contracting whooping cough says her family has been left devastated by the loss of her "gorgeous, sweet" son.

Win a Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom prize pack

To celebrate the April 1 release of Holly's Magic Wand on DVD and Digital, we are giving away five DVD packs featuring the newest installment of Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom Holly's Magic Wand and many more hours of family entertainment! Enter Now!

Oh boy! Video shows family's reaction to baby surprise

Little Peyton Williams thought she was getting a baby sister named Charlee. But the two-year-old has had to settle for a doll dressed in pink after her baby "sister" turned out to be a boy.

How to help build up your baby's immune system

We all know that having a strong immune system is the best way to stay healthy – but what can we do to help it along?

'Nick, you need to call an ambulance': home birth mum's tragic death

A Melbourne mum who died after the home birth of her baby pleaded with her husband to call an ambulance because she felt she was going to die, the Victorian Coroners Court has heard.

When dads believe their baby doesn't 'like' them

Q: My two-month-old baby doesn't like me. He's perfectly content with my wife, but when I try to hold him, he gets upset and cries. I've backed off a little, thinking that he just needs a little time to get used to me, but that doesn't seem to be working. I'm starting to think I'm just not a very good dad. Is it too late for me to build a relationship with my baby?

When was the last time a stranger praised your parenting?

Wouldn’t it be great to get some nice feedback every now and then? After all, everyone likes to hear positive praise, particularly when it comes to parenting.

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

15 names on the verge of extinction

If you're looking to revive an older name, or don’t want anything near the top 1000 list, check out these rare monikers for your unique baby.

5 characteristics of great dads

It’s great to see a generation of dads who are more actively involved with caring, nurturing and loving their kids.

Why doesn't Australia have more breast milk banks?

When there’s no question that milk banks are important, why don’t we have more of them in Australia?

Carrie Bickmore announces birth of daughter

Television personality Carrie Bickmore has given birth to her second child.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Sign up to receive 30 amazing tips and ideas for play with baby during the month of April and submit a picture or tip on our social wall for a chance to win an amazing Fisher-Price prize pack.

Man faces jail after giving woman abortion pill smoothie

A Norwegian man is facing jail after putting abortion pills in his ex-girlfriend's smoothie, causing her to have a miscarriage.

'He's a blessing': family of baby born without eyes

Jordy Jackson was born without eyes. He has anophthalmia, which affects one in every 100,000 babies born.

Win one of 5 Cadbury Easter Hampers

With Easter fast approaching, Cadbury are giving away 5 Cadbury Easter Hampers. Enter Now!

Super fit model Sarah Stage defends her pregnancy body

Model Sarah Stage has defended her pregnancy body after critics claimed her slim figure at eight-and-a-half months pregnant wasn't "normal".

Win a Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom and Peppa Pig prize pack

To celebrate the April 1 release of Holly's Magic Wand on DVD and Digital, Essential Baby and Entertainment One are giving away five bumper DVD packs featuring the newest installment of Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom Holly's Magic Wand and many more hours of family entertainment! Enter Now!

Why I post breastfeeding photos online

I love to take pictures of my children. In some of the pictures, my younger son is nursing.

The day I broke my baby

There are things I wish I didn't know. I wish I didn't know that companies make tiny braces, small enough to hold necks no bigger than a wrist.

The place just for dads of multiples

When a couple discovers they're expecting multiples, the dad can sometimes be almost forgotten in all the excitement and preparation. But one group offers a space just for dads of twins and higher-order multiples.

Brave mum calls for domestic violence law reform

A brave mum of two has shared details of the harrowing attacks she suffered at the hands of her partner in a bid to help other victims of domestic violence.

Why I had the new test for Down syndrome

Early last year I turned 35, and having just found out I was pregnant, I opted to have the new test for Down syndrome.

Geeky baby gear

If your family is more into Star Wars, gaming and the periodic table than most, you might want to check out these geek-chic baby items.

2015: the year of the sheep

According to the Chinese zodiac, babies born in the year of the sheep are creative and enjoy spending quiet time with their own thoughts.

Breakthrough genetic testing now available in Australia

Pregnant women will for the first time have access to locally analysed, accurate, non-invasive pre-natal genetic testing when the first Australian clinic to offer the services opens its doors next week.

Grandbabies: the babies born looking old

Not a day under 65 and a lifetime of struggle! That's the look of these newborns, who look adorably older than their real age. Social networking site Reddit recently featured user submissions of adorable grandbabies, here are our favourites.

Family kicked off flight after toddler seatbelt drama

An entire family was kicked off a Cathay Pacific flight when a misbehaving toddler refused to put his seatbelt on.

Stolen baby found after 17 years

A baby stolen from her mother's arms shortly after birth has been found through an astonishing coincidence.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

30 days of #PlayIQ challenge

Receive a daily email from Essential Baby during April with great play tips and ideas, then submit your baby at play photos to our Playwall, Instagram or Twitter for your chance to win.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.