Renos and Housework

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 purpleblackqueen

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

I am after advice from people that have been through the renos before moving in stuff.

How do you keep on top of housework whilst renovating and aswell as packing, babysitting, cleaning

Next week will be very chaotic, with renos from 8.45am- between 2.30-7.30pm each day and weekend I am having my nephew from 8am-8pm both days.

Agent is also bring people through which I have agreed to with minimum 24 hours notice

#2 ~iMum~

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

I wouldn't bother, only do the bare basics.

#3 FiveAus

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

You just do the best you can. We always seem to be in the middle of renos and it's just a matter of doing what you normally do, plus an awful lot of dusting!

#4 Lyra

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Alcohol. Lots of alcohol

Seriously, we are renovating and I have a SN son (lots of appointments) I work some days (never know when), do volunteer work at my daughter's school. TBH I think you really need to let things slide and be realistic in your goals. I should have vacced and mopped and done bathrooms today along with a couple of loads of washing and stripping and making beds. All I got done was one load of washing, stripping and making beds and getting the wallpaper off one entire wall. I had hoped to achieve more but this was all I could manage

#5 TillyTake2

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

It's hard! I hate renos as even when the house is "clean" it still looks messy. Just do the bare minimum. If possible pack in one room so that things stay somewhat contained.

#6 purpleblackqueen

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

I think people maybe missing the point, I am trying to keep where we are renting clean, and pack and do final clean etc, whilst reno'ing the house we are moving into.

#7 ~iMum~

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Pay someone?

#8 Lyra

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 17/11/2012, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think people maybe missing the point, I am trying to keep where we are renting clean, and pack and do final clean etc, whilst reno'ing the house we are moving into.

No, I am not. Be realistic in your goals and let things slide

If I were you I would pack 90% of the house as my main priority. Put in storage or a spare room or whatever and that takes away most of your clutter and tidying. It will also give an aura of 'clean' as well

#9 Ianthe

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Are you doing the reno's yourself? Because if you are the house you are currently living in shouldn't get too dirty if you are barely going to be there. If you are going to be gone all day make sure you wash and hang out a load of washing before you leave for the day and leave the kitchen tidy. When you get home commit to packing a certain amount of stuff. Don't sweat the housework in the interim.

Do the final clean just before you leave the house.

#10 purpleblackqueen

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (whathousework? @ 17/11/2012, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pay someone?

On the pension????

#11 ~iMum~

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

You asked for suggestions. I gave one.

#12 purpleblackqueen

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 17/11/2012, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I am not. Be realistic in your goals and let things slide

If I were you I would pack 90% of the house as my main priority. Put in storage or a spare room or whatever and that takes away most of your clutter and tidying. It will also give an aura of 'clean' as well

I have my small dining room and thats it to store boxes I will be packing around reno's, babysitting my nephew on weekend,

QUOTE (Ianthe @ 17/11/2012, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you doing the reno's yourself? Because if you are the house you are currently living in shouldn't get too dirty if you are barely going to be there. If you are going to be gone all day make sure you wash and hang out a load of washing before you leave for the day and leave the kitchen tidy. When you get home commit to packing a certain amount of stuff. Don't sweat the housework in the interim.

Do the final clean just before you leave the house.

Yes, with the help of my SIL and BIL.

Edited by purpleblackqueen, 17 November 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#13 Lyra

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Another thought is that although the RE is bringing people through you are in a rental (is that right?) which is not the same as keeping it hellishly tidy as if you were trying to sell

#14 TillyTake2

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Oh ok, yes, I misunderstood.

Well in that case it's probably actually a bit easier.

For the packing I'd section off any areas of the house that I could, any spare rooms, seperate loungeroom etc, more kids into the same room for the next few weeks etc. Then I'd pabl one room at a time. Pack everthing that you wouldn't take on holiday, leaving just one pot, one pan & one set of cutlery in the kitchen. The mistake I've made in the past is leaving things out because "I might need them". It's true that you might use them but most things you CAN live without for a few weeks. Be ruthless. Pack EVERYTHING!!

Re the cleaning. Just clean stuff as you pack it & keep the house generally vacuumed & a quick wipe over. Do a major clean once it's empty (probably allow 6-8 hours for this).

#15 purpleblackqueen

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 17/11/2012, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another thought is that although the RE is bringing people through you are in a rental (is that right?) which is not the same as keeping it hellishly tidy as if you were trying to sell

Yes I am renting, they expect neat, tidy, clean, lawns done etc.

#16 casime

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Spend less time on the internet and writing lists of what needs to be done, and just do it?

#17 Lyra

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 17/11/2012, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I am renting, they expect neat, tidy, clean, lawns done etc.

lawns only need to be done every couple of weeks. Do that tomorrow and get it out of the way!

I agree with TillyTakeTwo: pack as if going on holiday. The less that is out the less that you have to pack later and clean now. Also, I would be telling my kids that if they leave anything out that belongs to them I will put in a box and they don't get it back until we move. That will encourage them to tidy stuff up, and keep their rooms clean. If you put it in a box there is one less thing cluttering the house

But really, don't sweat it. If they are going to give you 24 hours notice don't do a thing until you have to!

#18 LambChop

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Why would you bother cleaning mid-move ?  You just let it slide whilst packing do a  final clean up of the rental once you've moved out....

#19 purpleblackqueen

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 17/11/2012, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lawns only need to be done every couple of weeks. Do that tomorrow and get it out of the way!

I agree with TillyTakeTwo: pack as if going on holiday. The less that is out the less that you have to pack later and clean now. Also, I would be telling my kids that if they leave anything out that belongs to them I will put in a box and they don't get it back until we move. That will encourage them to tidy stuff up, and keep their rooms clean. If you put it in a box there is one less thing cluttering the house

But really, don't sweat it. If they are going to give you 24 hours notice don't do a thing until you have to!

Hopefully I will get the lawns done tomrrow although we are at a Christening most of the day tomorrow (which was scheduled in months ago

#20 Lyra

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 17/11/2012, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully I will get the lawns done tomrrow although we are at a Christening most of the day tomorrow (which was scheduled in months ago

Lawns don't take long. Says she who refuses to do it LOL What time is the Christening? If it were midday ish I would get up and do the lawns at 9am and then do shower etc etc. If it's earlier than that do it around 5ish and have a nice easy dinner of chicken and chips and salads

#21 Chocolate Addict

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 17/11/2012, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can we miss a point when you didn't mention it in your OP? Not everyone reads everything you post, nor remember it. wink.gif

Lawns don't take long at all. We have a large lawn and it takes 45 minutes maximum to move and whipper snip.

If your house you are currently in is in the middle of being packed up there can't be much housework to do except dust/vacuum, surely?

#22 purpleblackqueen

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 17/11/2012, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lawns don't take long. Says she who refuses to do it LOL What time is the Christening? If it were midday ish I would get up and do the lawns at 9am and then do shower etc etc. If it's earlier than that do it around 5ish and have a nice easy dinner of chicken and chips and salads

We are leaving at 9.30am- as I need to do a drive by on the property first and then drive 20mins to MIL's when are then going another 30 mins with them. we wont be back until about 4pm- I am doing tacos for dinner

#23 purpleblackqueen

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Chocolate Addict @ 17/11/2012, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can we miss a point when you didn't mention it in your OP? Not everyone reads everything you post, nor remember it. wink.gif

Lawns don't take long at all. We have a large lawn and it takes 45 minutes maximum to move and whipper snip.

If your house you are currently in is in the middle of being packed up there can't be much housework to do except dust/vacuum, surely?

Sorry but it is very clear in the OP.

#24 Lyra

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 17/11/2012, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are leaving at 9.30am- as I need to do a drive by on the property first and then drive 20mins to MIL's when are then going another 30 mins with them. we wont be back until about 4pm- I am doing tacos for dinner

do tacos Monday night. 4.30 do lawns and then do chicken and chips or order in a pizza. One night for take away won't blow the budget

edited because I wrote something confusing LOL

Edited by Lyra, 17 November 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#25 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Who are you going to be babysitting??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.