WWYD
re neighbour's invasive plants

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 *LucyE*

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Just wondering what others would do in this situation.

Our neighbour has an avenue of mop top trees that are planted near our boundary line.  They are grafted onto a false acacia rootstock that's highly invasive.  The slightest disturbance causes it to send out suckers.  According to some, mowing or even just walking heavily over them will cause them to send up suckers.  

So, me digging and planting in garden beds on our side of the fence make these things go beserk.  If it was just near the boundary, it wouldn't be so bad, but they are several metres away from the main plant.  Then if we don't remove the sucker, it sends out new roots which also sucker.

We've lived with it for nearly 7 years and have only ever just manually removed the stuff on our side (which usually causes more suckering!).  With our landscaping works, we've had many people comment on them (they've gone crazy with the heavy machinery, earthworks and rain).  Nearly everyone has suggested that we poison the suckers on our property.  Those that haven't suggested that, have suggested killing the offending plants in a subtle way (along with techniques).  

They are otherwise great neighbours so we don't want to do anything to cause problems.  

Are we just super understanding or am I just meeting a lot of intolerant people?

#2 bjk76

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Not sure what I'd do in your situation, but I did meet a similarly intolerant person a while back, who stopped to tell me what he'd done (not sure why, never met him before!), while I was gardening in my front yard. His neighbour had a big tree on the fenceline and some big roots were coming under the fence onto his side. He decided he'd chop them off, which of course eventually caused the tree to fall over. It fell onto the neighbour's garage and caused some damage. His neighbour was understandably annoyed with him and said he was going to go to the council. Nothing eventuated (apart from ill-will) as the council said the man was within his rights to remove the roots.

#3 Jenferal

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

I think you have the right to remove anything which goes onto your property. And it's up to you to decide how to do it I think as well.
have you TALKED to them about it yet? maybe they don't like them anymore either and might like the chance to remove them? I'd ask them first then decide on your course of action.
Does heavy mulch cut down on the suckers?

#4 ednaboo

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yes, any damage to the roots causes suckers (which are barbed!) to sprout up over wide distances.  These things are truly evil.  We had one in the backyard when we moved in.  We pulled it out as we didn't like it, not knowing what it was capable of.  ohmy.gif  

Personally, I would be very tempted to poison the suckers.  I don't know however if this will kill the mop top next door.  We had to poison them with 100% strength glyphosate - cut off the sucker close to the ground then paint with glyphosate.  We were initially advised by a Bunnings staffer to use blackberry poison which is way more toxic (as it stays in the soil) and total overkill.  When this didn't work that well, I looked for other options.  The glypho works well.  At one point we must have had 40 or more suckers in our garden over a spread of at least 10 metres.  But if your neighbours are approachable, I would discuss it with them first.  Do they even know about the problem?  When I realised suckers from our tree were going next door I offered to deal with it, but my neighbour got her gardener to take care of it instead.

Heavy mulch won't stop them.  Pulling them out just makes them multiply. (WE pulled them out and they tripled in number.)  They have to be poisoned.

I really sympathise.  I am currently battling with wandering dew that has come from next door.  This is incredibly invasive and my neighbour has it running rampant behind her shed, which is inaccessible.  It appears to be harbouring zillions of mozzies.  I *might* have sprayed some glyphosate over the fence recently.  ph34r.gif

Edited by ednaboo, 17 November 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#5 ednaboo

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Madame Catty: they do look lovely, but I'm afraid you don't know what the root stock of these trees is capable of.  The suckers are barbed!  If you don't believe me, check out Burkes backyard!

#6 *LucyE*

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

have you TALKED to them about it yet? maybe they don't like them anymore either and might like the chance to remove them? I'd ask them first then decide on your course of action.

Yes, we've casually mentioned it to them.  They like their trees and on their property, it looks lovely lining their driveway.  They are close to 15yr old trees so I understand them not wanting to remove them.

They understand the suckering problem because they have it on the other side of their driveway too.  The only difference is that for them, it is an established garden area so minimal traffic or digging to disturb the soil.

On our side, we would have several hundred of these little suckers right now.  As a PP mentioned, these things have sharp thorns (think rose thorns on steriods) and they grow quickly.  There was one that I was breaking off the shoots above the ground.  The hard knobbly stump base was an absolute PITA to eventually dig out.

the other people are just intolerant, exaggerating what they would do

I don't think these people are exaggerating.  One was the arborist who had the tree poison on hand and offered to do the suckers for free.  My concern is that poisoning the suckers could kill the trees and it would be pretty obvious what happened.

I have no problems with poisoning the fish tail ferns that come over onto our side of the fence.  Nothing seems to kill them and it's just a maintenance issue to keep them subdued.

#7 purplekitty

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

I wouldn't use poison until I had spoken to the neighbour.

The only solution is to remove the tree and if they are unhappy to do that then I would say you are going to use Roundup on the suckers, in an attempt to control them ,and it may result in the tree dying.

ETA: I see it's a whole row of trees.Eek.
Perhaps you could suggest they hire a professional to offer a solution. It might soften the blow before you poison.

Edited by purplekitty, 17 November 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#8 *LucyE*

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (from the Burke's Backyard link above)
or if the roots hit an obstacle, such as a clay soil, they will produce suckers.

Aaarrgghh!  We have heavy clay soil.

#9 WYSIWYG

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Poison without a doubt. It's frustrating when people don't think about what they are planting and how practical it is, not just what it looks like.

#10 casime

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I don't know much about the plants, but would laying a concrete barrier underground along the fenceline stop them coming through?

#11 FluffyOscar

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

So awful for you OP. If you poison the suckers eventually the trees will die, but unfortunately glypho poisoning is very obvious and your relationship with your neighbour will be over.

You'll need to dig a very deep trench along the fence line (and also under it if you're smart) and put down a cement barrier.

We have a suckering tree (golden elm, 100 years old) and find that once you pull out the suckers and rub the point of the root where the sucker was growing hard with your dirty finger to squash it all up, then cover up again with dirt, that they don't grow anymore. Maybe it will work for you?

Good luck.

ETA: I really don't like those moptop plants, they're so common now as to be boring.

Edited by FluffyOscar, 17 November 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#12 *LucyE*

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

I don't know much about the plants, but would laying a concrete barrier underground along the fenceline stop them coming through?

Their property is higher than ours, so we have a 1-2m garden bed and then a 1.5m cement core filled block retaining wall. The horrible things still pop up metres away on our side of the retaining wall!

I'm starting to think this is unreasonable. Just have to come up with a way to discuss this without causing friction.

#13 LambChop

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

Have you tried talking to the council about the problem  - see if the trees are on the noxious weeds list or some such ?

#14 casime

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

What about talking to the owners and asking if you can put the concrete barrier on their side of the retaining wall?  They might be willing if you approach them the right way.

#15 JustBeige

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

If you know an arborist, can you ask them whether poisoning them will kill off the trees and what else can you / the owners do to stop  the suckers?

I would then talk to the neighbours about options

#16 unicorn

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

OP I would be poisoning them, the way I see it, the neighbour knows the suckers are coming into your yard, and if they were that protective of their plants they would keep them contained within their own yard, they are a weed, a quick google tells me they are a native to North America. I don't see why you should go to the expense of putting in concrete barriers. It's the same as your neighbour getting a dog and expecting you to put up a fence to stop it entering your yard.

#17 Lolpigs

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Yeah I would be poisoning them too. I would talk to the neighbors first telling them that they are now becoming a massive problem in your yard, so while you have tried everything else you will need to poison them to get them under control.

I wouldn't mention it might affect the trees as who knows right? And TBH it isn't really your problem. If they were my trees I would be really annoyed they were impacting my neighbours and would consider turfing them myself.

#18 EsmeLennox

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'd poison them. The plants are coming up on your side of the fence, you can do what you like with them.

#19 RedBob

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'd be poisoning them too, frankly.

The other thing I'd be doing is contacting your local Council to see if they have any rules about them or any other plants - their parks or bushland people might have some ideas about managing them.

#20 Holidayromp

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

I would speak to the council first and find out what your rights are.

However in NSW.  For any trees over 3 metres in height the neighbour is responsible for the trimming back of branches etc that encroach into their yard.  With roots that are pulling up pavers getting into sewers it is the responsibility of the person who has the tree in their yard to remove the tree as long there is proof that damage is being caused.

Now with those suckers you have every right to do everything in your power to ensure that they don't encroach into your yard.  If you need to poison them then so be it.  They are not your trees and you did not ask for them to planted, they may be beautiful for your neighbour but a complete PITA to you.

You have tried every method to get rid of them and you cannot.  You should NOT have to go to the expense of building a 'concrete barrier or any other such methods - the onus should be on the neighbours to do this providing that it will work - those buggers seem so determined.

I would be speaking with the neighbours and gauging their reaction but at the end of the day it is your property and once they encroach onto your property then you have every right to do what you need to do.

#21 Zahhy

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (ednaboo @ 17/11/2012, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really sympathise.  I am currently battling with wandering dew that has come from next door.  This is incredibly invasive and my neighbour has it running rampant behind her shed, which is inaccessible.  It appears to be harbouring zillions of mozzies.  I *might* have sprayed some glyphosate over the fence recently.  ph34r.gif

Oh god, that is supposedly what is running wild behind our shed at the moment. DP poisoned it all back with roundup or something, but it has come back as he didn't do anything after that. Will we need to use something stronger to get rid of it permanently? We want to put the kids trampoline down there to make room in the rest of the yard.

#22 kadoodle

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

I had to dig up our Wandering Jew, stick down black plastic, then sand, then gravel, then dirt and only plant shallow rooting stuff on top.  I also dug a trench and filled it with concrete and put bricks on top of it to stop the invasion from next door.  Anything that came over got pulled out and stuck in a plastic bag in the sun to die, before being binned.

The bane of my existance right now is Couch grass.  It looks like I'm going to have to resort to chemical warfare, as even the herd of guinea pigs can't keep up with it's invasive tendencies.

OP, your local council would be a good place to start re. finding out what your rights are with requesting the plant removed or otherwise dealt with.  I've found Greening Australia very helpful too.

#23 Frockme

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Apparently chickens love to eat Wandering Jew. Can you get a couple to help control it? I've also heard funnel webs are attracted to it....

OP I'd poison the suckers. Several 100 will take a while to do properly though. I poisoned some suckers of a yesterday today tomorrow tree, it didn't kill the tree.

#24 Jembo

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Here is a fact sheet on mop tops, I have read before you can poison the shoots without damaging the tree, however this one says you cant?

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/1998/arch...ckering_robinia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.